Masters Running

40s On the Run - What Makes YOU Come Alive (Wk Ending 07/28/08) (Read 431 times)

jfa

Holy Cow Cindy ! Did you invite that dude for breakfast ?!? Shocked Wouldn't want to see that in the morning... See everyone's at it again, refusing to let life pass us by. I'm developing an aversion to computers on the weekends, but I'm still around. Jim- Way to Go! Congrats on your harvest to Lynda and yourself! Kick back and enjoy a couple of Blue Moons. Great job and I hope you get a little rest now. Nice pics too! Jewels- Biking's a big help to your running, as Leslie's finding out.Those big beach bike's sure are comfy to ride.I have one,as well as an inherited mountain bike.Next best thing to running,especially in the heat. Buddy has been grounded pretty much.He's only good for a slow 3 in early morn or evenings with the temps being over 90* for 7 days now.You're lucky your hubster's a good cook! Leslie- Good going on the trainer.Don't have to worry about the weather with that.My guess is by now you have named and adopted that new kitty. Kelly- that's incredible times for us noobs to comprehend. Jack's some trail runner,wow. I can't imagine how it must feel to go 16+ hrs. Has he been running for a long time? Carol- Really nice to hear that your training is going well.You must be adapting the the heat better, I hope.I know I have had to. Cindy- Coincidentally, I just bought my first pair of Asics.I got the Gel Nimbus 10 ($119.00 Sports Authority) cause they had good reveiws.I have been a Nike guy but would like to try somethiong else.So far,so good.I did a 13.7m in them last night.Bummer about your feet.It shows your commitment by having to deal with another obstacle. Real life again conspiring against my running.Too tired (65hr work week)to get up at 4:30am Sun for my weekly long run so I ran it last night. Then today on the way home from work, got in a very hot(90*) 7.4m at the reservior.Hottest run to date but I'm fine if I drink enough Gatorade and tone down the pace. ~Have a Cool one Folks Cool~

Cindy - I think I'll pass on feeding that kind of 4-legged creature. Nice balance he has, though! Joe - 65-hour work week?!? Dude - you need a vacation. And the poor Budster - unfortunately, he doesn't understand it's for his own good. And it really cracks me up when you talk about having to sneek out of the house or wear different clothes until you get out the door. That is one smart pooch! Re riding the bike for an hour yesterday - um . . . I seriously need a softer seat. Sitting today is a tad, uh, tender. Much more so than when I ride on the road. I think because I was sitting straight up for most of it yesterday. Whenever I'd bend over to handlebars, my HR would quit working. Go figure . . . Roll eyes . . . . . . . . 25 more minutes and I get to go home . . . . . . . . . .

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

OK guys! that is a baby (mayby 50 lbs)!! my dog is much bigger! ...had to move my hummingbird feeder 3 times cause they kept getting it! Roll eyes & they always run away from my barking Pomeranians!! Big grin Leslie - ever hear of a gel seat? Wink
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

OK guys! that is a baby
          I may be from NJ , but I bet Momma and Pappa Bear are very close by........... Yes

Leslie - ever hear of a gel seat? Wink
            No, but now I intend to buy the absolute cushiest seat I can find. Unfortunately, I'm suppose to ride again in the a.m. Sad Think I'll be cushioning with a towel.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Shocked Ok, so it's really cats and kittens and bear cubs, but who's counting? Ah...Leslie, those cats know where do go, don't they? My neighbor is our resident "cat lady" and has done a great job of trapping, spaying and neutering almost all of them. One of them has the funniest looking squared off ears, just sort of missing the top point on both. Hope you find a cushier ride for your tush! Hey Joe...cut out that working too much stuff now! Buddy sounds like Katy. I haven't been taking her lately either. She has this tendency to seek out nice green lawns and just drop and roll. Hard to resist joining her sometimes, but I'm not sure what the neighbors would think. As for the heat, the forecasted high today is 103, and low was 80. Looking forward to a "cool wave" on Thurs 97 hi, 78 low. I ran through it last year only to not reach my goal of a fall half marathon, but hopefully this year I'll reap the rewards. Jewels...for what it's worth, I really like the Hal Higdon program. Seems like a good mix of running, cross training, and weights/stretching. I've been doing a little more distance than it calls for on running days to build a little cushion in case I need a step back week or two later on, but I'm hoping it will help me reach the starting line injury free this time. Hey to everyone else....gotta go to work or I'd read and shout out more. So just a general wooohhooo!! will have to do.
              Progress Trumps Pefection
                Morning, folks. A "tender" ( Cry ) 45 minutes on the bike this a.m., whilst I tried to finish my movie from Sunday. Carol - You probably know this, but the "tipped" ear indicates the cat's been fixed. BK's ear is tipped, but little did we know he'd decide to stick around and become one of the family. He has turned into a real bed slut, too. Wink I can't imagine the heat some of you guys deal with. Ugh! Here, this a.m., the fog/overcast is so heavy, I had to use my wipers the whole way to work. We're going to be lucky if it hits 58 today. Undecided Yesterday I wore a sweater to work, and today I have the heat cranked up to 70 trying to warm up. Hopefully, this is extending inland, though, and helping our firefighters. Later!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Quick weights session today. Feeling good after Sundays run. Hip issues are non existant at this point, don't know the last time I could say that. No races really on my program until a 10k that Jonathan puts on in mid August. Our local county fair has a 5 k in about a week on pretty much the same course as the July 4 run, so whats the point??? After dodging storms all through harvest seems like now we can't buy a rain cloud. Our dryland corn is suffering quite a bit now and imposible to keep up with the water on the irrig stuff, high temps don't help. We had 104 officially on Sunday but are now forcast low to mid 90's with some rain chances. We got all the lagoons, etc cut yesterday afternoon so now all the harvest equipment is needing to be cleaned repaired and put away until fall harvest. Lynda is telling me I need to get off the farm (bad attitude), maybe I will slip away this weekend for some mtn climbing with my friend Ed. Lynda volunteered to run the farm while I am gone. Leslie our dryland crops are grown in a rotational system designed to maximze our minimal rainfall. We grow winter wheat, then plant corn in the wheat stubble the following spring. The stubble catches snow and rain over winter. Following the corn is usally a year of fallow either chemical or mechanical to capture enough moisture for the following years wheat crop which is planted in the fall. The only crops that will put any nutrients in the soil are legumes like alfalfa and soybeans that fix Nitrogen and for various reasons but mostly water use it just doesn't work to put them in dryland rotations. They are included in some irrigated rotations. The nutrients must come from somewhere, if you grow a crop and turn it back under that is zero sum. If you harvest any part of it you are taking part of the nutrients with it. So without breaking out my college soils texts etc I will just say soil nutrients will come available in a certain amount every year through mineralization and breakdown of organic matter. Bottom line is unless you are growing legumes for nitrogen and legumes by themselves will not supply the total nitrogen needs of subsequent crops and or using some type of fertilizer be it cow manure or commercial fertilizer you are basically mining the soil. More later stay cool folks.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie, I had no idea! Haven't done any ferral cat stuff myself since my dogs mostly want to eat them. I just thought that it was some genetic abnormality. Thanks for edumacating me Smile Slut cat = well loved cat Smile PUULLLEEEAAAASSEE send some of that cold air down here, and maybe a little to Joe and Jewels. I'll give you my lightly worn sweater collection in exchange. Early is where it's at this time of year. I try to hit the road about dawn, and the park about 2 miles in. Park is scary in the dark! Edited to add...please send cool air to R2 as well! Go for the mountains....!!
                    Progress Trumps Pefection
                      This is me wishing you call cooler weather! Thanks for the info, Jim. I was just curious as to how it all worked. Hope you're able to get away for the weekend . . . before Lynda comes after you with a pitckfork or something. Big grin Carol - Slut Cats = Well-Loved Cats = Spoiled Rotten Cats . . . I should have it so good!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Afternoon Peeps! Smile Partly cloudy 95*F/12% H. w/chance (slim I'd say) of later scattered T-storms ...cool freshening breeze over the reservoir where Mairead & I just left from a coupla hrs of lounging in the trees by the water Wink...Currently peak heat up in the mtns...75* F.. psst R2: >....<mountain>>>.... = perfect day hiking weather Smile (I'd even do some camping in that!) No run for me today...broke out the retired Saucony's for boot camp....even did a "modified" boot camp this am...letting the foot have a coupla days to reconsider it's position....so after 10 mins of warm up cals - instead of running bleachers, I did lunges (less impact~still annoying) 5 sets of: 50 lunges+8 weighted squats+12 22lb "cowbell swings"(? that's what he called em -whatever) in 18 mins followed by walking it off while everyone else did a cooldown jog & stretches....ooooh, I can feel that in my tush!! </mountain>
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi Kids~ Thanks for the cooler air Leslie. And Thank You Carol for telling me how much hotterit is in Texas . Now the 90's ain't so bad. That's some system you have going there Jim . Sounds like a a little break would do ya good. Cindy's forecast sounds very appealing.... Smile I guess I'm adapting to the heat as well. Over 30 miles run in 3 days.Two runs during the middle of the day. Here's a question for you guys, can I drink too much Gatorade? I know that I can drink too much water and not have salt. I can really feel the difference when I carry a 16 -24 oz per hour bottle of Gatorade in this heat. How about with Gu? Is that too much salt?

I can really feel the difference when I carry a 16 -24 oz per hour bottle of Gatorade in this heat. How about with Gu? Is that too much salt?
                            What kind of difference? Better if you drink Gatorade? Kelly is probably the best person to speak to this subject, but with the heat you're running in, I don't think that between the Gatorade and GU you would be getting too much salt. How salty is, like, your face after your runs? If you could give yourself an ultra facial scrub because there's so much salt, you might need to consider taking in a little extra. I'm going to be giving S-caps a try on my next runs. On an aside - GU and Gatorade . . . . yum Dead I don't like either of those. I chew Clif Shot Blocks. They're like oversized gummy bears. Gatorade gives me ultra heartburn, which is why I have to carry my own powder mix for my fluids. It's a pain in the rear, but it's better than having heartburn stop you dead in your tracks. Oh, I also carry Rolaids! Big grin Cindy - Measure your hips/butt area and see how many inches you end up losing after all this boot camping! You're definitely going to have Buns of Titanium!!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone-just a quick check in because it's late and I have to get up early. Good job dealing with the heat and not letting it slow you down too much. I'm glad I don't see 100 degrees too often. Cool bear pictures, we have the same problem with bears and birdfeeders too-mostly in the spring. Jim-thanks for the crop rotation lesson. I thought of you after my great green bean harvest-5 lbs! Big grin Joe-you must have forgotten my coaching advice to work less if you want to catch up! Big grin And this will make you all envious-Jack had always been active but didn't start running until around 2002. He was asked to be on a marathon relay team and just kept going. He's got a genetic gift. I'd chat some more but I'm already past the bed time I promised myself. Later... Kelly
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

What kind of difference? Better if you drink On an aside - GU and Gatorade . . . . yum Dead I don't like either of those. I chew Clif Shot Blocks. They're like oversized gummy bears.
                                I bought some margarita flavored cliff shot blocks with extra salt in Boulder but haven't tried them yet. When we got that nasty bug during planting I lived off cliff shot blocks for a day or so, only thing that tasted good. My back hurts just thinking about picking 5 lbs of green beans but I would help ya eat em. Smile Smile We don't have a garden per se.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III