Masters Running

40s On the Run - What Makes YOU Come Alive (Wk Ending 07/28/08) (Read 431 times)

Top 'O the World!

......We don't have a garden per se.
    Big grin It always amazed me that my MIL kept a 3/4 acre vegetable garden & some livestock -in addition to all the other work that goes into farming!! Shocked ...meant that I spent alot of Summer/Fall w/her canning & freezing.....good thing we had enough menfolk to run all the "big equipment"... I'm still vegging this am....(see: driving DH NUTS!) ..have track/speed drills this eve....however, Doug took Mairead out for an easy 3-ish @ 5am this morning....70* F/44% H....calling for mid 90's for the afternoon..Did I mention that he signed up to run Denver HM w/me?! Smile.......hoping hurricane Dolly makes good westerly landfall (nothing against Brownsville!) & the jet stream is cooperative - will mean some much needed rain for us in a few days!! ....R2: Wanna join us in a little raindance? Big grin As for me, I carry Gatorade type mix & alternate w/water for long &/or hot runs...gotten rather attached to G2 for other heat hydration stuff - less intense than full strength Gatorade!....don't know whether I know the difference yet...still working on remembering to drink enough (not too much) while running!! Roll eyes....still "test driving" different shot blocks/gu combos.....heard of the Margarita flavored ones from another thread - mentioned being used by someone who ran a higher temp marathon...haven't tried em yet.... having fun on this site Wink https://www.onemoremilerunning.com/index.php?ccUser=
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Joe-you must have forgotten my coaching advice to work less if you want to catch up! Big grin
      Kelly- unfortunately this is not an option. I will just have to run around my schedule. That's why I have been running in the middle of the day when it's 90* outside. That's when I have the time to do so. Smile Leslie- the Gatorade makes a ton of difference in my runs.I have alot more energy.I drink it straight up and it doesn't bother my stomach.I look for the hightest stuff that has more carbs in it. I was just wondering if this is an all-in-one hydration plan or should I be taking in other stuff too ? Back to work.....

flatland mountaineer

Got my rear outa bed this morn and got in a nice relatively cool 6 miler on my hill road then down a double track trail road. Ran easy for the most part with the last couple miles kinda on the slow end of my 10k pace, no real plan just what felt right. Lynda was mowing up a storm when I got back,trying to catch back up from harvest. We are game for the raindance, hope we can get something going with Colorado monsoon season. Congrats to Doug for signing up, he'll do great. Altenating between my coffee and a G2 as I speak.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Altenating between my coffee and a G2 as I speak.
          One of the gooey GUs?? With your coffee?? Yuck! That just sounds incredibly nasty!! Never tried the margarita shot blocks. Let me know what you think. I chew the dark cherry or cranberry w/extra caffeine. Joe - I don't think you need anything other than the Gatorade. That (or HEED) is what they serve at the aid stations on the trail runs, along with water and soda. When Kelly's back up to speed, she'll probably chime in, and I'd listen to her over me. Wink The only other thing I've heard - and don't know if it's true - is that you should take in some milk product after the long runs as it tells your body to stop doing whatever it does when exercising and start recovering. Confused Maybe that's why I love to chug a cold glass of milk after my runs! I use GU2O cut with maltodextrin (16 oz of water = 1 scoop GU to 1 1/2 scoops malto). The GU2O by itself is just too sweet, and with my stomach issues, it makes me nauseous after awhile. . . . . Gatorade gives me heartburn, GU2O makes me nauseous . . . .problem child. Big grin Took the morning off, so nothing to reporton the exercise front.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Here's my chime-it's an individual thing mostly depending on how much you sweat. If your black shorts are white after a long run and you have a tendency to cramp up you're going to need more salt and electrolytes. A simple summary may be that if you still cramp after drinking your Gatorade or whatever then you need to start looking into supplements. This is Jack's area of expertise. He's a salty sweater and has his needs down to a science. We drink the Amino Vital Endurance formula and then he'll add two scoops of Ecaps powder (I think) for each 8 oz of drink. He also carries the Ecaps capsules and Succeed capsules and will take Succeed on the hour and Ecaps on the half hour (something like that). He has a hard time taking pills so was glad to find the powder. This is what works for him-I'm lucky in that I've never cramped before. I've dabbled with it a little and I'm sure Jack will give me something during my race this weekend but I won't notice it at all. Jack sweated off 10 pounds by mile 47 last weekend and he didn't mention anything about cramps. It's all individual and you may have to find out the hard way at a race or on your first really long run in hot humid weather if you need more than what's in your drink. Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

One of the gooey GUs?? With your coffee?? Yuck! That just sounds incredibly nasty!!
              Nooo noo no the Gatorade G2 Big grin

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Thanks for the info Kelly and Leslie. I don't really cramp up at all, so far anyway. I sure sweat alot but I don't think it's overly salty. I do feel tired as heck when it's real hot and humid and I don't drink gatorade before and during my run.Yesterday for instance,was about 90* with high humidity.I downed a 24oz bottle about an hour before my run. I then went through another 24oz during a 9.4m ,1 1/2hr trail run. I try to comsume most of it during the first half of my run. I felt fine. One thing I notice though, is I don't have to pee during these runs. That makes me wonder if I'm hydrated enough.

Nooo noo no the Gatorade G2 Big grin
                  Ah!! . . .Tthat still a nasty combo. You're a sick person, Farmer Jim. I always suspected there was something hinky hovering just below the surface, and now it's reared its ugly head. I'm keeping my eye on you . . . . Joe - Re the peeing, once again I will defer to Coach Kelly. I rarely pee if I'm running under about 2.5 hours.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Just checking in, havn't read any posts yet, and I'm dead tired after riding 1500 mi in two days to get home by Monday evening and back to work Tuesday. Ran a quick 4 yesterday and felt like hell, taking today off. All I want to do is get some sleep - must be all that sleeping on the ground and partying with friends Roll eyes Will hopefully get caught up with work and life and youse guys in the next few days here... Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Yay! Arla's Back!! Big grin.... Sounding like she had such a good time, she needs to sleep fer a week to recuperate from vacation!! Big grin It worked! It worked! It worked! for a little bit anyway....My Thanks to all the Rain Dancers out there! Smile sending waves to R2 & Lynda for the corn..... Leslie: G2 is lightweight Gatorade (just a little more flavor than vitamin water)....& I frequently combo'd water w/coffee before i started running....just a natural that sometimes I grab a G2 now....so, sometimes that's my combo too....
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Ultrachick

Joe-if you're feeling fine then don't worry about the pee thing. Of course you're going to feel tired when it's real hot and hopefully better when it's cooler. I look at the whole fluid intake and pee thing as something to be delicately balanced in your body while you're running. If you're peeing a lot then maybe you're drinking too much and if you're racing then that's something that will slow you down. If you're drinking, not peeing and performing well then you've got a good balance going. If you're drinking, not peeing and not performing well then you've got problems and better figure it out quick Big grin Everyday is different so turn off the iPod every once in a while to tune into you and adjust accordingly. Smile I have no idea if you listen to an iPod and I'm not criticizing if you or anyone does. Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

jfa

Thanks for the good advice Kelly, both with hydrating and listening to my body. I do carry an ipod and I often forget to turn it on! That's when I know I'm "zoning out". As far as drinking, I think that I'm on the right track.The Gatorade company loves me. I just worry about if I ever need blood and they ask me what's my type? I'll have to tell them that it's "lemon-lime" Confused

flatland mountaineer

4 miles 70 deg humid, picked it up a bit at the end. We got a little shower last nite, enough to make the dryland corn unroll this morning. Have more small chances this week. Cleaning up equipment, irrigating and getting ready to haul corn again. Leslie what we do behind closed doors is nobodys business...... Wink OH you said Hinky Nevermind Blush

Hi guys! Welcome home Arla! Gotta hear about that road trip. Been distracted with a neighbor problem. They are home this week, and apparently staining the back fence between us and upset that our dogs bark when they do that. Well...duh...dogs bark when they hear things on the other side of the fence. Anyway, I assured them I'd keep them inside this week while they work, but they indicated that they want them to stay quiet all the time. We keep them in at night, so as not to disturb anyone's sleep, but dogs are gonna bark some during the day. They have called the police on our next door neighbor's dogs, so needless to say, I'm pretty upset. Didn't let on to them...trying to play the "nice" card, but it's hard. Training program going OK...took Katy with me this morning, so it was some dog slow miles, but miles nonetheless. Gotta go to work...later kids Smile
                              Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Morning folks! what is this, my 5th day of slacking off my schedule?! track w/o - speed drills last night...quickly forgot/lost focus w/my foot due to "oh! my achey butt!!" by the 6th lap, rear starting to loosen up, foot starting to tighten up Black eye Undecided Boot camp this am: 1 mile run w/u then 30 sec sets X 3: in the playground (as many as you can do in 30 secs, move to next "station" repeat all 3 X's) leg lifts, dips, rows, bicycles, weighted rope, toe reach, bicep curls, steps?, climbing wall stretches R2: glad some of it made it to you...couldn't tell by the radar if it was breaking up before or after you....should have a bit more on deck later today...**fingers & toes crossed**