Masters Running

40s On the Run - What Makes YOU Come Alive (Wk Ending 07/28/08) (Read 431 times)

Arla - Welcome back! 1500 miles in two days, on a motorcycle?? And then you had to work the next day? Bet you sleep good for the next couple of nights. Cool Cindy - Is some of your "boot camp" overworking your achy foot? Glad the tush loosened up. Wink Loved Joe's and Farmer Jim's wise-cracks. Made me smile this a.m. Big grin Speaking of giving blood - oh wait, Joe said "need" - - be that as it may, I am a strong proponent of blood donation, so get out there and expose those veins! And guys, if you have the time, they also are need people to give platelets and plasma. Right now, women can't give platelets anymore because of the following: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2007_Oct_2/ai_n27392692. Giving platelets is time-consuming (1.5-2 hours), so blood banks are usually fairly low on that product. And, you can give platelets a lot more often because they regenerate themselves in something like 24-48 hours. I use to give platelets once a month until they told me no more. Even though I haven't had kids, they can't take the chance that maybe I was pregnant at some point and never knew it. Just beware - You have to wait 24 hours after giving before you can participate in any aerobic activity. It's a good excuse for a rest day! Smile This a.m., did 1.5 hours of strength/core/knee. My buddy, Karen, works part-time at a local health club. Saturday we're gonna go "clubbin'" so I can learn how to use the various equipment for when I'm on the road. Watched "Death at a Funeral" last night. It was a hoot! Very funny!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Just a quick trip report, bottom line is I had a great time - nice weather, a beautiful trip through Wyoming (Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Cody, then up Beartooth Pass - gorgeous - finally the rally where many familiar faces awaited. At the rally they had a 5 mi race, which I won.... The other 3 women in it included one walker, one who had never run more than 4 miles, and one who was at least 10 years my senior. Shy Still, I was glad to get a PR by a few seconds, especially considering we were at 4500 ft elevation or so and the course was quite rolling. Anyway if any of you ladies want to shine in a race, go to a motorcycle event, there are few women! After getting home, I think the combination of hard travel, sleeping in a tent, and partying with my pals did me in! Finally feeling normal today, got in a pleasant 6 miles. Now..to catch up on all these posts! Arla

Ex runner

jfa

You RAWK Arla ! That's Great . Numero Uno Baby! Don't downplay the competition. We know you're one of those fast people! Rest up and tell us about the ride ! Cool Heat finally broke today ! Weehaw ! Much to Buddy's delight, 7.2 m mostly on the beach tonight in 82* with only 44% humidity. Whew !!! Tongue

Ultrachick

Welcome back and congrats on the win! Big grin We had a wicked thunderstorm last night where we lost power from about 8:30pm until 7am this morning. I've had enough lightening this week! At least I got short, little trail run in before it hit at the trail center while the boys were out mtn biking. I've got a big race this weekend that I'm starting to get a little anxious about. It's 33 miles over very challenging terrain including 4-5 miles of running in a river, by mile 9 I'll be at the top of Jay Peak. Here are a couple course changes to give you an idea of what I get to look forward to... Courses changes for 2008. The mileage will be the same but.... 1- once you reach aid station 1, you will be 95% OF THE TIME on a NEW brook until aid station #2. This will allow us to avoid crossing route 242 since You will go underneath the road in a 50 foot culvert that is 6 feet high. This section is fairly technical, you will be slow but it is so beautiful you should enjoy it 2- Because of the 1st change you will reach the base of Jay Peak on the state side instead of the main lodge, You will then climb Jay peak to the top via a completely insane( STEEP) new route. So if you look at the mountain from the village you will climb on the ridge line on the left to the top 3- For the first time in 7 years, you will actually reach the top of Jay peak on the ledge to the top. In the past 6 years we were always short of the top by about 50 feet... this year you will be at the absolute top. Consequently you might want to have a lightweight shell in your drop off bag in case of bad weather at the summit. 4- Beautiful new singletrack section on the christmas tree farm. I'm guessing he'll have us going up and down some double black diamond ski trails or bushwacking our way to the top! I'm more worried about how deep and fast the river will be-we've gotten a ton of rain this week. Oh well, I won't be alone. I was hoping to improve my time from last year (break 7 hrs)-with the course changes it will be tough. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Way to go Arla! A win is a win. What was your time? C'mon we want to know...live vicariously through your speed, etc. Smile Kelly, good luck in your race this weekend! Wow, sounds daunting with the water and summit and all. How do you avoid getting lost on those things? I think I'd fear getting lost more than anything. Running still going OK. Weights and very short mileage yesterday + a little dog walking cross training thrown in. Have lifted now 3 times since starting that up again, so starting to work a little of the initial soreness out. Just reading about Mtnchk's bootcamp makes me sore!
            Progress Trumps Pefection
              It's Friday!! Arla - You just know everyone - including the men - were jealous of your lightening speed on those 5 miles. Good for you! Joe - Glad to hear the heat wave has broken. I'd love to have just a smidge here on the coast. Another overcast, dreary day for us. Undecided Kelly - 4-5 miles in the river?? Do you have a drop bag on the other end for dry shoes and socks? Do you run through the river on the way back? What's the elevation of Jay Peak? Good luck!! Carol - Good to hear things are coming along nicely for you on the "reentry" program. 1 hour of stationary bike riding + 1/2 hour of core and stretching. Tomorrow Karen's going to show me the ropes at the gym where she works so that when I'm out of town and have use of gym facilities, I'll know what the heck I'm doing. After this weekend, it's back to the road for me. Gotta start running again. The knee is feeling a bit better, but I'll have to keep nursing it. Got a new seat for my bike, but I can't figure out how to get the old one off. Plus, it's a thicker (softer!) seat and I'm not sure where to place it so that my knee is at the right angle. Will probably wait 'til Coach Bill and I meet for a revamp of my workout schedule and have him set it up again. Have a great weekend, everyone ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Afternoon Folks! Just taking a break from fence painting/staining/waterproofing - stuff....might take a couple hrs (weinie that I am) w/temps around 90 so far....feels warmer standing in front of the fence w/paint brush in hand Tongue Congrats on the race Arla! I'm sure you're being toooo humble! Wink sounds like you had a wonderful time Smile...I'm truly jealous...doesn't look like my bike is going to get much mileage this Summer...Todd still has the tank & fenders! that's the last time I'll agree to a "3-5 day" paint job @ the beginning of season Roll eyes Good Luck this weekend Kelly! Wow! didn't you JUST run a 50 miler?!?! Yer skeerin me! Thanks for the heat wave Joe...I think it's Leslie that's asking for it though...throw harder next time! Big grin weather people are saying we're getting close to breaking a record for consecutive days over 90...which is hot for here..... You & Buddy enjoy the break while you got it...still gotta get through Aug/Sept.... Carol: you're welcome to come join me @ boot camp anytime! I have some free passes Wink when is your mtn getaway anyway? Leslie: take a piece of tape or a sharpie & mark the position of your old seat before you take it off...should be a nut just under that releases a clamp type thing to take the old one off....I have a neat flip catch on mine - & the front wheel..old mtn bike that it is! another day off for me. was intending to take the bike out for a bit this morning & got derailed by chores...maybe later after it's a little cooler...foot is feeling MUCH better w/some time off/different shoes! hopefully I'm ready to hop back into it in the morning...TNT group run is only 11 in the morning & I'll be mindful as I go....had to talk myself into treating it like I've had the flu or something...feeling guilty/antsy about not running - even though my logical brain kept saying "let it heal" ....one of my girls Weds night asked me what I'd be telling a client?! Blush Roll eyes OK. OK... also feeling guilty not getting Mairead out as much...& now that it's warmer & the wknd team runs are getting longer, I think it would be best if I didn't take her for now...even the coolie vest isn't enough for a Big Black Dog! she'll just have to get her long runs in up in the mtns....She did get to go w/Doug this am though...5:30am/3 speedy miles..they had a good time! Smile
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Cindy - I could see the bolts, but I couldn't get them to budge at all - like lug nuts on a car. My bumm seems to be getting used to old seat, so I think I can hang for now. This is a pretty cool video from the 70s (?) re a lion who gets reunited with the men who raised him. Pretty remarkable. http://www.animalintelligence.org/2007/08/16/video-christian-the-lion-reunited-with-humans-who-raised-him/

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

4.5 this morning with the last mile at 10k pace cause I felt like it. I was going to go 4 miles but was running next to a pivot pumping fertilizer on corn so ran in to the pump to check it giving me 4.5. Looking at my Garmin log this run brought me to with 0.27 miles of a 26 mile week. I will probably go do the.27 in the morn in an obsessive/compulsive couple of minutes. Previous highest mileage week was 22 in June. Lynda is kicking me out in the morning. I have one field to spray in the morning then I am outa here. Maybe it will rain tonite and I can just leave. We have worked 35 consecutive days. I am going to Rocky Mountain National Park to meet up with my mountain man friend Ed Sunday and head to the Loch then the CCY traverse with a group on Monday. Mount Chapin (C) is about 12,500 ft, Chiquita (C) is 13,069 and Ypsilon (Y) is about 13,500 feet.http://veiks.com/trails/trails.php?place=ypsilonmountain I have been up Chiquita and Ypsilon before but not on the same day. Arla welcome back and way to go on the race. That is a pretty part of WYO. I spent some time at my college roomate's ranch with him and his wife near Cody at Meteetse. A gorgeous mountain bench ranch with a stream running right by their house. Kelly wow that sounds incredible and somewhat dangerous. Good luck with it. Carol hope the neighbor situation works out, dogs gotta be a dog some time. Smile Glad your runs are working out now. Leslie high mileage bikers and horse trainers get calluses on their rears. Smile Joe I'll bet Buddy is loving getting back out there. Hope your respite from the heat holds a little longer. And I like lemon lime also. Big grin Cindy I would just as soon go to the dentist as paint! Sounds like th foot is coming around. Mine is a little sore today, wondring whether to wear trail runners or hiking boots in the mtns. I'll take both. Jewels is the injury continuing to let you run?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hey Kelly- Good Luck ! Wow, that sounds tough ! Have Fun! Jim- Good going on your mileage and did you say 35 days in a row? I thought I was working alot ! Have fun in the mountains! Cut outta work early and ran 9.4m around the lower tip of Manhattan today.They have a beautiful shaded (mostly)path around to South St Seaport and beyond. Ran under the Brooklyn Bridge then said "what the hell" and ran up over and back to Brooklyn. Took some pics for you country folks to see what the city looks like. Will post em soon. Good weekend to Everyone ~

Ultrachick

Thanks for the well wishes! I'm at my parent's house on a dial-up connection! Big grin Jay Peak is only 3800 ft. The course is a loop so I don't have to run in the river on the way back. There will be pink with black polka dots surveyors tape tied to tree branches to follow. If I don't run in the river then there's barbed wire and poison ivy on the banks-choose your poison! I'll change shoes and socks with about 12 miles to go. We're going mtn biking after on Sunday so I'll let you know how it goes hopefully Sunday night. See ya! Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                          A late good luck to Kelly..... Crazy week.....dd17 collided with an 81 yr. old driver. Everybody was O.K. but shook up. My daughter was heading southbound doing 45 mph and the elderly lady was heading northbound when she decided to bang a u-turn right in front of my daughter. By the time they hit, my daughters truck nailed her from behind and because she was hit from behind my daughter got a $150 ticket. Most important they are both O.K. but my daughter won't have her truck for a couple of weeks and my husband said the other car looked pretty totaled. Then.....yesterday I spent a few hours in the emergency room with her because she "caught something" and couldn't get the fever down, then the throat started to swell up and by the time I got home from work she couldn't even swallow her own saliva she was in so much pain....then she started to panic because she felt like her throat was closing up on her. Called her doctor.....she's on vacation, so......we headed to the ER. He took one look at the back of her throat and said, whoa.......honey, you've got some serious swelling going on down there. Lymph nodes and all were way outta whack. 2 monster shots in the ole butt cheeks, some Loritab for pain and this morning she feels so much better. Got a 3 miler in yesterday morning and another 3 this morning. Feeling pretty good so I think I'm getting back on track. Next week is the last week of school so I've got projects to finish up in both classes and finals to study for this weekend so...later gators and enjoy your weekend. Jim....you and your OCD.....pssst, just between you and me, I hate stepping on the cracks or lines in the road when I run. Maybe I played that game to much when I was a kid or something....."step on a crack, you break your momma's back"! Ya, I know, I'm wierd! Jewels
                          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Jewels what a week huh.... got in the .47 to push the week to 26.2 so I ran a marathon Wink, just took me all dang week to do it. Big grin Farm average of 1 inch of rain last night, Smile Smile Thanks raindancers!!!! We got to shut all the irrigation off and as soon as I get cleaned up I am outa here!! Am looking forward to the pics Joe, I had a good college friend, a baseball player from Long Island, wish I would have took him up on his offer of a city tour!!!! Kinda funny, he hung out with the rodeo kids from Wyo and Ne and picked up all the cowboy slang with a LI NY accent, they told him he talked funny when he went home. Go Kelly go!!! mtn biking on Sun, think I would be sleeping all day. Wink

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Morning folks! Got in 11.7 sorta sucky miles w/the TNT group this am....back up...now, I know that I know better but still, went out w/DH for pizza & beer last night Roll eyes tired & "puffy" this am..guess I just needed the reminder! ..the good news is that my foot is MUCH better....guess I need to go shopping for more wide shoes for my rotation.... They brought out the brochures for next "season's" events....includes AZ Rock N Roll & Disney! hmmmm Jewels: Good Luck w/finals week! Jim: have an excellent RM wknd! Wink I'm sleeping in for Kelly on Sunday.... Big grin Leslie: my DH uses something I think he call locktight to loosen seized nuts/bolts...WD40 might work too...I just put a jell slip cover over my seat
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                                Morning, everyone! Cindy - The guy never mentioned a slip cover. Maybe I'll go to a different store and see what they have. I have 90 days to return this seat, used or unused. Glad the foot's feeling better. I was thinking about getting another pair of shoes and inserts to rotate, but Pocket Book says no right now. Maybe next month. Kelly - You are an animal! 'nuf said . . . Farmer Jim - Have a great time! You deserve this respite . . . and we know it'll be a nice respite for Lynda, too! Big grin Jewels - Just a quicky infection for your daughter? Confused (and may I ask, how'd the thing with the turd boyfriend turn out??) Joe - Looking forward to seeing pics. Someday we'll get back to the part of the country . . . someday. Spent 1.5 hours at the gym this a.m. learning the ropes from Karen. Most of the equipment I already knew how to use, but it was a nice refresher course. Had this one piece of equipment, though, that you get up on and do pull ups or dips. The part you're standing on goes up and down with your pull ups/dips. Holy cow! What a workout! I did 10 pulls up with I think 62.5 lbs. of weight (plus my body weight, which somehow figures into the mix), did 10 dips, did about 5 minutes or so of leg work, then went back to the pull ups. Nope! I could do the dips, but I couldn't do anymore pull ups. I want one of those at home! Anybody got a spare few thousand dollars?!? Got home and felt like I needed to expend some more energy, so I went for a 3.64 mile run. Weird mileage, I know, but that's what I ended up with. I made the mistake of drinking coffee and eating a bagel before I went, and it's sunny here today. By the time I got back, Dead Won't make that mistake again. I ignored the HR since it was barking at me as soon as I started running (probably the coffee) and just pushed it as much as I could. Cute guy driving a semi dumptruck drove by me and gave me the thumbs up. Nice! Big grin Maybe he's a runner, too. Now I gotta get some transcription done, then get cleaned up for a wedding this afternoon. Going to the wedding only and not the reception, so it seems like a waste of time to get all dolled up. Think they'd mind if I showed up in my stinky running attire?? Have a good one!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance