Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 11.17.13 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Glad you had a good run with the girls on Friday, Jlynne, as well as a good evening with DH.

Smokin' run, Deeze! I hope you hit the jackpot at Mohegan Sun.

Smart running, Ribs. And a belated CONGRATS to Riblet!

Did you figure out what to do with your weekend, Dave?

You made me cringe when you started talking about Christmas lights, Holly. but putting them up early is OK (probably smart), as long as you don't light 'em up too early.

Tough day, Tramps, but you toughed it out. I hope you (and your calf and back) are feeling better today.

Enjoy the new-found speed, Stumpy. Maybe it's the new you!

Maybe the USPS has a different definition for "Priority," Twocat. Nice 20 miler.

Big congrats to DS and his machine team, C-R! It's great that they are good sportsmen as well as good runners.

Nice long run, Mariposai, despite the post-burpies fatigue.

Great job at the 'predictor' run, Enke, and congrats on getting the bird!

Good run for you, Leslie, and nice baking by Shorty.

I hope you had a good visit with family, Tselbes. Nice 8er.

That's a heck of a commute, Divechief!

I go headlampless, Tet, so can't help you much there. I have one, but never wear it, preferring the darkness and occasional ambient light from a nearby house.

Getting a little chilly there, Evanflein. Good reminder about the weather/clothing issue.

I'm up early 'cause that is what I do. Been reading and dealing with email. I spent most of yesterday moving leaves around the yard, ant then we went to dinner with neighbors to help one celebrate a birthday. It is foggy out this morning, and should warm up to the mid-40s today (heat wave!). One more cup of coffee, and then I'm off to today's racewalking training session - it may be out last outdoor session of the year, so we'll have to make good use of the HS track while we still have it.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//..............((tramps)).......manly hug

========

my thanks

to MustangSally, the left side mount idea worked quite well

40min bike ride,

apparently

parking lots work better for me

they eliminate (I hope)

the chance of getting run over by cars

and

approximate a quarter mile track experience..............I like it

.......................good running guys.........and Nice Racing yesterday

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So tom, are you a left footed/sided rider?

I wonder what sal's sensei would say about it.
        Thanks jay. I  used to be a sans-lighter too but too scary nowadays as my night vision seems to be fading badly. After a lifetime of abhoring anything Christmas before Thanksgiving, I was surprised how welcoming I was to see Santa Claus crowding out Mr. Pumpkin in early October, even giving a cheer last week when a nearby building turned on their Christmas lights too. This getting old is really getting weird.
        Queen Luna enticed me into putting on my running shoes if that’s what I did but I don’t for fifth four-miler of the month. Unfortunately, I ended up running alone as she was already getting swallowed up by the low-lying thick coastal clouds. Oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

lamerunner

Good morning, persistently cool and foggy here. Kind of a slow starting day for us, but I got out the door and ran about 9 miles around the city.   Heading to the latest Warren Miller  ski movie with DS later.   He has already warned us that he will be bouncing off the walls next weekend; he heads to a pre -season ski camp at Sunday River next Sunday evening.

Yesterday I ran a bit over 10 miles at the rail trail, with a few hill repeats up a side trail. I saw three hunters right on the rail trail; only one was in a hunting stance; the other two just strolling along. Bugs me that they are right on the rail trail, but since they had a rifle and I did not, I just said good morning.  I also did a 1500 yd swim later in the day.

Tramps, sorry the marathon was not what you hoped. Trying again in a few weeks is not a bad idea.

Happy Sunday!

C-R

All these early Sunday runners. Good stuff.

Major storms rolled through last night and it's almost 70 degrees. Yikes.

Managed a little 10 miler before soccer practice. Now off to do some chores and fix its around the house. Today will be a relaxing one.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Well, the threatened high winds and rain held off this morning and it only started raining in about the last half mile of my 10K in Plymouth, MI. It was coming down pretty hard at the finish line, but fortunately the goodies were under a tent as was the other gathering area, so I didn't get too wet. This was called the "Kona Chocolate Run" and the after-race treats included hot chocolate, brownies, and some other rich chocolate goodies. Yum! Afterwards I walked over to a Starbucks to wait for results to be posted and by the time I came out, the sun was shining (briefly).

At the start, I had sort of scoffed at seeing pacers in the crowd. Who uses a pace group in a 10K? That said, I ended up following and eventually going along with the 55-minute group and it pulled me along with very even 8:50-ish splits to finish in 54:37 -- my best 10K since 2007 -- for 2nd place AG! This was in a race with several thousand runners, although my AG (65-69) only had about 10.

I felt this was as good as I could do since the winner ran it in 48 minutes, which is way beyond my ability. The strange thing is that although I was clearly in 2nd place on the full results sheet, when I went to pick up my award they told me that I was 3rd. Then they showed me the info that they had which showed a runner with a foreign-looking name, age 65, running it in just over 38 minutes! Is that even possible? 65 years old and running just over 6 minutes a mile? Anyway, I still count my self as #2 unless I find out something different about that guy.

I hope everyone else's races went as well today! See you all later this week.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Roch!

Thought you ran well Tramps, but the thing with the marathon is often just the day. Work like crazy to get ready, and on that certain day, one thing or another isn't working right for you. A lot of success in running has to do with the day, how you're feeling, the weather, how you started, that kind of thing.

Unusual day here.  Got up early and started at about 6:30 but it soon became apparent it was going to be a warm, sunny day.  Nice breeze blowing but it got up to high 70's very early. I got a sunburn on my face.  At 19 miles I was back near the clubhouse and I had a choice:  go out for one more mile (as I was feeling super and 20 miles is a nice number) and get even more sun, or just go to the clubhouse and drink a Sierra Nevada.

So 19 miles it is for today.  Spareribs

No running for me today.  Kind of a dreary day out anyway.  A very exciting day overall.  My DW is up in her office working and I am down in my office doing the same.  We are just fun, fun, fun kind of people!  Black eye

While I do not have any running to report I have a minor cooking discovery.  I made pumpkin bread yesterday and it came out more like pumpkin mush.  (My guess is the water content of the pumpkin I used was higher than average, meaning the bread had to cook longer to set properly.) Despite the bread being undercooked mush, I had to remove it from the oven anyway because my DW and I were leaving to make dinner with some friends of ours.  This morning I had an idea.  I put the mush in a cold oven and turned the heat up to 300°.  That is 25° below what the recipe calls for making the bread at.  Then I let it bake.  It worked!  Big grin  Not only that but the bread is awesome!  So if you ever run into a problem like this never fear it is possible to rescue your cooking effort.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Are any of you folks in the line for the tornadoes hitting the mid-east of the country?

Erika - She's already and old and cranky.  It may just be her legitimate aging right. Big grin  As far as her getting along with Midnight, it might never happen.  Two of our 5 hate another one of our cats, and no matter what we do, things aren't getting better.  So we just try and referee as much as possible without negatively adding (hopefully) to the situation.  Re your weather - yuck!  Wink

Nice race, Roch!

2K - Shorty was interested in your baking recovery.  Nicely done.

We spent the morning cleaning all the crap we're willing to live with but don't want the house sitter to see. Black eye

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Re the 38-minute winner of my AG above: I did some checking and discovered that this guy ran an event at the same location just a few weeks ago and did it in 40 minutes --- in the 5K! So I think that what happened is that he mistakenly ran the 5K today wearing a 10K bib, or something else glitched in the registration or scoring process. Anyway, I've emailed the race director; I don't get many AG placings and hate to give up a place! Wink

And by the way, my comment about the "foreign-sounding name" was not meant to be xenophobic -- I am totally the opposite of that -- but rather that it could have belonged to some visiting Ethiopian or Kenyan, which might have explained it.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...tet///......ever since

a Fat Guy walking two poodles

watched

me trying to get my ArthriticHips over that damn bike seat,

I have been looking for a better way

to get on the stoopid thing

let's just say it was a Traumatic Moment.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Anyway, I've emailed the race director; I don't get many AG placings and hate to give up a place! Wink

Big grin

Good job, Roch!

A lovely morning turned into a cold and rainy afternoon for us here. I am glad that the Easy Pacer and I decided to do a run just before noon since it was drizzling by the time we got back. 6 miles with some serious hills that the EP managed just fine. I was smiling the whole way!

It was funny, I was planning to run some more miles, but I was really tired at the end of the 6 miles, so I decided just to call it good for the week. After I got back home I look on my log and find out that I have ran 50 miles this week. No wonder why I was so tired.

All the bread talking is making me hungry for some fresh bread. I think it is time to go grind some wheat and make some whole wheat bread to go with the chicken dinner I am planning to make tonight.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep...that's what I do when I want bread...start grinding wheat...did you have to pluck the feathers off the chicken, too?

roch--I don't blame you.  You should get what you deserve.

Dang!  I thought I had more time. I have to leave for bowling...I guess I'll put the wheat away...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

roch - even if it's not you, or only one of us, the RD's need to get it right.  thanks.

Tom - I still like the riding part but mounting/dismounting’re becoming a limiting factor in my annual triathlons. They’re too low, hard-to-see and dangerous for city use but today’s NPR had an account of a hip-retired rider who went for a 20 mile, pain-free, outing on his first recumbent ride and said he could have gone another 50 miles in comfort.  they said he’s making them out of old bikes now at a once-a-week rate in Wisconsin (I think) for ~$700, about half the sticker price.
                              Ski-mom: seeing our breath, wetted hair freezing, termination dust on the mountains, etc. but the real proof of the upcoming ski season was when John Jay, who had our area those days, would come to town. Warren Miller’s been doing the same in the PNW, and worldwide, since 1950 or at least, since he sold his company about 20 years ago, his name has.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Can I just say that I love coming here!

Work and school are taking up all of my time, so I know have a new moto - "If life is preventing me from running, then I will run my life" I mean that literally - I ran this morning to get supplies for a study session, ran to the grocery store for dinner ingredients, will run to my eye appt tomorrow morning, you get the drift ... it all adds up.

Roch was racing at the heels of Kenyans!

Ribs ... PLEASE tell me you stopped at 19 and enjoyed a Sierra Nevada

Hi DG! Hi Mariposai!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx