Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 11.7.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.6 miles, including 3.3 in the warm morning light + 2.3 post-work TM miles)
    Tramps (exercise + 3.3 pre-rain miles)
    Jlynne (5.5 post-sickness morning miles in 28° temps)
    Fatozzig (30 min early morning run + core & leg work)
    Spacityrunner (2.5 morning neighborhood run in mist/rain/mist)
    Mike (5 miles)
    Holly (45-50 min of core/strength work)
    Surly Bill (3.75 sunset miles at 8:25 pace)
    Falconfixer (9+ miles, including 3 pre-work & 6+ at lunch with a friend, then spin teaching)
    Mariposai (9 sunset miles after 9 hours at work)

It looks like everyone is doing their best to adjust to changing time & light, and changing weather. Keep up the good work.

We had a good, final Seacoast Half race committee meeting last night. I love the dedication of our crew for doing all they can to put on a great race, and for their ability to deal with whatever comes their way on race day. Our beneficiary let us know last night that with registrations and sponsorships for this year’s race, we and they have raised enough this year (about $120,000 net) to put us over $1million in total donations to non-profits for the 12 years we’ve hosted the race. So I’m a happy guy. Except that I was awake too many times last night thinking about too many race details. Is it nap time yet?

6.4 RW miles at 4:00 in breezy 39° temps, and under a nearly-fool moon still high in the sky and lighting my way. With that bright moonlight, I had my headlamp on this morning more to be seen than to see.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Heavy rains overnight, and they might have stopped by the time I was heading out to run, but I wasn't taking any chances!  4 miles on the treadmill.  I really miss when I can't get outside in the fresh air, but not enough to chance falling in standing water or getting caught in a storm.  Happy Tuesday!

Got in 1.6 miles on the treadmill after work and before packing for a conference in Florida (it's tough duty, but someone has to do it!).

5.6 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

That's a serious amount of charitable funds, Jay.  Nice.

I hope all the sick folks recover quickly.

I suppose 55is just about the perfect temperature for me...now, the high is 48...and I'll take that, too.

That's about 20 degrees warmer than my ideal.   You'll do great.

Jlynne--I'm new at this cycling stuff so I haven't figured out the temps thing yet.  Almost 50F this morning, so I was fine.

25 miles on the bike this morning. Pretty autumn foliage but a cloudy sky signaling the coming rain.  Election day here so no school buses to dodge, which was nice.

Be safe. Be kind.

That's about 20 degrees warmer than my ideal.   You'll do great.

Agreed. Around 35-45° is perfect running weather, as long as there's no wind!  No school on election day? That's not the case around here. Even though many of the polling places are located in schools, class goes on regardless.

Congratulations on the fine fund-raising efforts this year Jay. Can you tell us about some of the causes you've supported in the past?

I'm not a fan of treadmills either, RunnerKSA.  I'll bundle up and run outside unless it's REALLY cold - or icy.  Getting too old for that nonsense!

5 miles in 28° temps this morning, but no wind. I had to break out a package of hand warmers   Then off to the Y for 20 minutes of weights and core and a 45 minute spin class. I'm tired!

Just bought the new biography on Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson. It's about 900 pages long so it will take a while to get through.

Good luck to all who are having elections today.

Quickadder

Early morning training run with DD. She ran 10K easy tempo and I added in a few strides and intervals to end up with 7.5 miles. With the time change, the sun was just peeping over the horizon as we finished.

Jay, impressive fundraising. Do you try to cover most of the expenses through sponsorship so that the race entry fees can benefit the charity or do you tie the race entry fee to expenses, so the sponsor money ends up with the beneficiary? Can the runners claim a tax deduction for part of their entry fee?

Ideal temperature for running? I'll take as cold as possible in Louisiana, which is rarely cold enough. 40-45F is wonderful and might call for a long sleeve shirt. I did have a HM trail race in January on the coldest day of the year with a start time temperature of 22F rising to about 25F by the finish that needed four layers of shirts (plus a sweater for the first 4 miles), but I still ran in shorts.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Turned out this morning that I had a double layer of Richmond to celebrate my 2nd marathon and Mike's coming 42nd.  Had my marathon LS shirt and an old Ukrops 10K as an undershirt.  I really liked the race.  And got to chat with Tramps in person.  (I wore the gloves you brought me this morning).  It was about 30° for the start of my race and the local paper spent the week before telling runners how to deal with the bitter cold.  DW's cousin was forwarding them all to us.  Until we said "Dave--you grew up in MA and Kevin runs all winter in MA--we know how to deal".    He's lived down south too long, i guess.

Speaking of IRC, just about hit it this morning.  40° would have done it, but there was a bit of a breeze.  Still shorts weather, but the forecast is looking like I may have to go to the attic and bring down the winter gear.  Especially for our last weekend in Maine, since the predicted low is 19° Saturday night.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

It was about 30° for the start of my race and the local paper spent the week before telling runners how to deal with the bitter cold.  

Yeah, that sounds about right. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Ideal running temps - Around 60-ish.  My hands don't get so cold.

Sick People - Hurry up and get healthy!

Jay - That's an incredible amount of money.  Congratulations to you the rest of the hard working volunteers.

Well, I can't seem get our clock figured out, either.  It was the right time when we went to bed last night, and a O-Dark 30, after feeding the cats, I pushed the alarm forward an hour.  Got up at 7:00 . . . only for The Hub to tell me it was only 6:00.  What?? First, I did NOT touch the regular time when I changed the alarm and Second, I set the alarm forward, so I don't know what's going on.  Until such time as further evidence proves otherwise, I'm blaming it on the clock and saying its losing its mind (after all, it's at least 35 years old . . .) . . . or the cats are messing with me.

No workout this a.m.  I will drag my body to the Woman Cave after work.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be pouring rain with wind in the a.m.  THAT'll be run to run in (said no one ever . . .)

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Pretty autumn foliage but a cloudy sky signaling the coming rain.

same out here in the PNW but clouds still skimpy at sunrise for a horizon-to-horizon red sky to make up for the skimpy foliage compared to the east, midwest, wildchild and erika-land, and just about everywhere else.

However, can't say anything about temps

and darkness here except "whew"

compared to erika-land.

Except in countries where the vote is on Sunday,

I never heard of election-day holiday, either.

With mail-in ballots and drop boxes replacing polling places, it's not even like an election day anymore, . . . . especially when the two candidates for Seattle mayor might as well be twin sisters.

ps tomW - how's your week-old Halloween hip?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

Yes, IRC here- mid40s. Planned to run 4 (in tights, gloves, jacket) but felt so good that ran 5 with gloves and jacket off. Marj passed me on her bike on her way downtown to meets friend for lunch.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - wow - well done!

Another vote for 55 degrees being IRC.

Quickadder - that is pretty cold for shorts...

Leslie - I think the cats are messing with you....

Well, I for one HATE getting off work and having it be dark before I get home.  It makes me not want to stop at the store or bank on the way home, or go out again after I get home.  Something about the dark says to me "home and PJs."

6 miles for me this morning on the TM watching DWTS.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Jay - That is some good donation levels. I often wonder how much some of the local races actually raise for their causes.

I took a rest day yesterday and again today. I was going to go for an easy walk today but it has been raining nonstop. I still may get a stroll in if the rain ever stops.

I still wonder how and why I would get so tired after just 6 miles in my race on Sunday.  I sort of expected a struggle at 9 or 10 but it never crossed my mind that I would hurt so soon.  I will head back to the gym in a day or two and then stick to the gym for a while until my left calf seems better.  It is the only part of me that is still hurting today.

I spent some time browsing the internet on general running stuff and I think I will add some stuff like squats and lunges to my workouts. It is supposed to help one's running.  And I'll also see if I can do a core workout more consistently.

I spent some time browsing the internet on general running stuff and I think I will add some stuff like squats and lunges to my workouts. It is supposed to help one's running.  And I'll also see if I can do a core workout more consistently.

Dave - IMHO whole body strength training is vital to being a healthy runner. Look to include exercises for your glutes, hammies, hips, and back, as well.  Bridges are great and difficulty can be increased by doing them with one leg or with your legs on a stability ball.  Anything single-legged is great - since we run on one leg at a time.  Using resistance bands are a good way to add ST, as well.  You can use them to increase the difficulty of squats, bridges, forward lunges, side lunges - lots of things.

The Run Experience has a lot of videos regarding ST.  I looked at this one recently for knee strengthening.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi Friends!!

Holly - I wish you lived closer too!! My sister still needs models for her last few weeks of class!

Jay - maybe 2018 will be the year I get to run your Seacoast 1/2 since I won't be marathon training!!

Not sure how well I am adjusting to the time change - 5pm feels like bed time!!

I love running in the 40-50 range too -- low 40's mean long sleeve shirt, capris or shorts, and cheap gloves to keep my hands warm!!

5.2 miles with 2 Sole Sisters this morning. One of them is running Philly in a couple of weeks so I wore my Philly shirt for the run hoping to bring her some PR karma. That was definitely my strongest training season and strongest marathon!!

Then hit the gym for a cardio/strength class followed by a core strength class. Definitely know where I need A LOT of work!!

Love days off like this when I get a lot accomplished - after the gym went to the dentist, Whole Foods, CVS, gas station, made 2 pots of chilli - meat and vegetarian, and cauliflower fried rice pilaf loaded with veggie!! Ya - early bed sounds good!!

Happy Tuesday all!!

denise

metalmancpa

I got in 6.4 miles at a nice 8:33/mile pace. It was my first solid run since the marathon and it felt good. I like the fact my daily mileage is being backed down to 6-6.5 miles from 8-8.5 miles. I'm going to like that and 12 mile LR's on average as my focus goes back to the HM distance. Get daily runs completed in less than an hour. For me it's been a fun but long year of running as barring injury I should break 2,000 miles for the year. That's a lot for this old man into his 3rd year of running,.