Masters Running

40's on the run, week of 6/15/08 (Read 489 times)

flatland mountaineer

I like the way you think Evryday Big grin I drank a few glasses of tea at supper and found myself starting this post at 12 am wide awake. I did my quicky weights session this morning. I am really sore from my Sunday run but from a stupid attack, not using sunscreen on my legs. The joints and muscles feel pretty good, a little tight. Hip was talking just a little, did my pt and ibts stretches, should be good by tommorow. Lynda and I are hauling fertilizer to pump on corn fields today. Watching the news and glad we are farming in dry old sw NE this year. My neighbor is drivng truck for us this week hauling corn to an ethanol plant in CO.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Now I'm not totally in the back of the pack, just sort of in the middle rear. I guess this gives me a cushion at either end. Evryday - Nice try on the ole beer thing, but I'm not buying it. Sounds like when the Hub says, "But hon, there's a sandwich in every beer." Okay, then that means you just age 6 sandwiches . . . to which I get a bit of stuttering then silence. Ha! Big grin Farmer Jim - I had a stupid attack on Sunday and am paying the piper with a burn, as well. "Stupid is as stupid does." Keep stretching and moving and the soreness of the muscles will disappear (as you well know - so I don't know why I'm even saying that . . . ) An hour with The Firm gals. Bike is still in the shop. They've been pretty backed up. Hopefully, I get it back today or tomorrow. Suppose to be overcast and a high of 53 here today. Yep, that's our North Coast summer weather for ya. Loverly, just loverly. Later!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Much abbreviated version of Cliff's "Survival of the Fittest" diatribe, I believe Evryday! If memory serves correctly....Cliff was often much more verbose than that! - to which Norm would respond w/a grunt, "Sounds good to me" & bring his mug to his mouth. Big grin...nice overview tho Wink For whatever reason, I seem to have a difficult time following training schedules Blush ....course, not knowing exactly which one I should be on just now may be a small part of the challenge..(do I focus on the HM in 10 days or mostly stay on the full training schedule for the Oct marathon?)....the other thing is that I mix it up depending on how I feel after I warm up! Confused which trail I've chosen, who's running w/me, yada, yada, yada.....but frequently, it goes a lot like this: schedule says 4 easy (I feel great so, I do 4 easy+, & 2-4 more - tempo, hills, surges, whatever!) or schedule says 6 X 440 5K pc...I feel like lead & do 4 easy! Tongue .... Yesterday, schedule said "rest day" but I was antsy ALL day! Undecided finally did yard work! Today's said 5-6 hills 5K-10K pc (? I'm still all over the place w/that one) & (everything around here except Highline Trail is HILLLS! just depends on how I 'hit' them) soooo, 6.73 hilly miles. all mixed up! Roll eyes surged some, walked some - 11:38 ave pc (2 of em @ 9:51/10:11) - total ascent:815' - total descent: 813' (lost 2 feet somewhere!) No direct news from IA....other than news networks! Which is taking the flooding further downstream as the Cedar Rapids area is receding....some folks are being allowed to go in to check status - even return to some of the homes to start clean-up.....news pics still look pretty bad! This is going to be awful for the farmers there too, (I'm remembering aerial planting!) but maybe somewhat beneficial for those elsewhere? Sizable to do list today again....must get off computer....! Have a Great Tuesday Everybody!!~ C
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          Cindy - Kelly's probably a better person to answer your question, but I'd say that if you have training schedule for your goal of marathon in October, you should follow the training schedule as best as possible, and remember that rest days are there to give your body a chance to recover. Most schedules try to mix things up enough to keep your body guessing. Thoughts from anyone else?? Confused

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - you've already done a HM, so I'd do that as a training run and keep my eye on the ball. Here's how I look at it, in order of importance (just my opinion and worth what you paid for it) Tongue : 1) the more miles, the better, and they should be mostly easy. I've read in at least two well-respected books that it's FAR better to go too slow than too fast! You want the biggest base you can possibly get - right now you have an OK base, you could certainly grow it. You can't build a big base unless you're going slow enough. 2) one long run + one sort-of-long run per week. The second longish run really seems to help. 3) one quality run per week if you feel up to it (with all those mountains, you can't miss!). Hills, intervals, tempo, whatever, but I think you really have to be careful here. If how and when you do those is by feel, then fine! It sounds like you're good at listening to the ol' bod. But...here's my mantra: Consistency and lots of miles over the long term is what does it. 10 - 12 mi used to wipe me out for the rest of the day, now it's just - eh, no big deal - but it took more than a few 10+ mi days to get there. I'm looking at others' logs and seeing plenty of folks who do 20+ mi *training* runs, Shocked and all they do is keep consistent, slow, steady. All that hill repeat this, striders that, tempo blah blah is just extra stuff to add speed (and fun/interest, granted), but you need the big base miles first; the bigger, the better. I presume your goal is to complete your marathon comfortably, rather than race it per se. Finally, the latest research shows that post-marathon heart damage is mostly seen in people who are running less than 35 mi a week. This is what got me motivated to get up to at least 35 vs. the more usual advice of 25 mpw. Again, just my 2c. Gawd, I'm wordy Blush Arla PS Carol - I teach college biology, so yes I'm one of those awful math or science teachers. Undecided

Ex runner

Was going through recipes and came across this one. It is THE BEST shrimp cocktail recipe. Oh my!!! Mm mm mm mm good!: The Shrimp Cocktail Recipe courtesy Alton Brown (FoodTV) 32 shell-on (21 to 25 count) tiger shrimp For the brine: 1/4 cup kosher salt 1/4 cup sugar 1 cup water 2 cups ice For the cocktail sauce: 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained 1/2 cup prepared chili sauce 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish 1 teaspoon sugar Few grinds fresh black pepper 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon olive oil Sprinkle Old Bay seasoning Using a pair of scissors or a serrated knife, make an incision down the backside of the shrimp, following the intestinal track. Eviscerate shrimp and rinse under cool water leaving shells intact. Place cleaned shrimp into a bowl with brine and refrigerate mixture for 20 to 25 minutes. While shrimp are brining, place tomatoes, chili sauce, horseradish, sugar, pepper, and salt in food processor and blend until smooth. Refrigerate cocktail sauce until ready to serve. Place a baking sheet or broiler pan under oven broiler and preheat for 5 minutes. Remove shrimp from brine and drain thoroughly. Rinse the shrimp under cold water and dry on paper towels. In a large bowl, toss shrimp with olive oil and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning, if desired. Place shrimp onto a sizzling sheet pan and return to broiler immediately. After 2 minutes, turn the shrimp with a pair of tongs. Return the shrimp to broiler for 1 minute. Transfer to a cold cookie sheet. Refrigerate immediately. Once shrimp have chilled, arrange with cocktail sauce in a martini glass or as desired.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I love shrimp cocktail.....and the sauce is my favorite part. Thanks for the recipe. and some good running discussion. I finally got in 3 miles this evening.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Kewl Evryday!! Smile & Thanks Arla & Leslie...that does help alot! C ya tomorrow!
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Hiya 40's! I was just reading and thinking about how far everyone has come. We've got half marathons as training runs, 50K's, faster 5K's, kids graduating, and crops going to market, just to name a few. Consider yourselves all "high fived" Smile Arla, I forgive you re: teaching college Biology. I actually like math and science ('cept for the labs which always seemed terribly tedious and slow). Finally had a run that felt good this morning. Have been working hard to get my blood sugar and insulin doses lined up right for early morning runs. Made one more tweak this morning starting at 3:00 am that helped...at least for today. I'm thinking about going to a "camp" in the fall for people with diabetes who like to stay active http://www.diabetestrainingcamp.com/ . Includes individual and group help from drs, ex phys, dietitians, coaches, etc. It also sounds like lots of fun, and the location is beautiful (Snowmass, CO). Off to work nowSmile. Love this workin' from home stuff....
                    Progress Trumps Pefection

Ultrachick

Hey Everyone-lots of stuff going on. I liked the bear and the beer posts. I ran into a bear a couple years ago in Yosemite National Park. Jack and I were visiting there after he ran Western States. I was giving Jack grief because his feet were all blistered up he couldn't run very well and the trail was real nice for running (we were coming down from Half Dome-yes I made him hike up to Half Dome 48 hrs after WS Evil grin) so I went ahead until I saw a bear off to the side looking in dead trees for something to eat. Needless to say, I beat feet back up to Jack and some other hikers who were on the trail as well. They were impressed I was running down and really impressed I was running back up then I mentioned the bear. We saw it cross the trail and got some pictures of it. It didn't pay any attention to us at all! As far as following training plans, I agree with Arla, Cindy. The HM is a stepping stone towards the Marathon. The results from the Half will be a good gauge as to how your training for the full is going. Keep the pace slow unless you're doing a specific speed workout. Base building is very important-if you keep track of it you'll find yourself going faster with less work. Arla-what's the post-marathon heart damage you mentioned? I agree though to get the weekly mileage beyond 25 for a marathon. For my new client , I'm getting her up to 30 mpw for a half marathon. Have a good day! Kelly
                      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Queen of 3rd Place

Re: heart damage: Here's the latest, in its "English" version: http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2007/02.01/99-marathon.html And the original abstract in "doctor-ese": http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17101848?ordinalpos=8&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum Troponin and NT-proBNP are molecules they look for to determine whether or not you've had a heart attack. Notice that the < 35="" mpw="" runners="" had="" increases="" in="" troponin="" and="" nt-probnp.="" however="" what="" isn't="" mentioned="" in="" the="" abstract="" is="" that="" when="" there's="" been="" a="" heart="" attack="" the="" increase="" in="" troponin="" (i'm="" not="" sure="" about="" nt-probnp)="" is="" much,="" much="" greater="" vs.="" what="" was="" observed="" in="" the="" less-trained="" runners.="" another="" study,="" indicating="" that="" some="" of="" the="" effects="" may="" be="" more="" than="" just="" transient:="" />http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16554314?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed So what's happening here is that, one month post-marathon, part of the heart is not relaxing normally between beats. Notice however that they didn't follow the runners for more than a month. In another thread someone posted this: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/06/13/marathon-study.html?ref=rss ..so the pieces of the puzzle keep coming in. Unfortunately, there havn't been that many studies, and they've all been pretty small. Still, it makes intuitive sense to me that, the more you train, the less of a beating your body takes on marathon day. Arla

Ex runner

Evryday - Glad you were finally able to hit the road. Carol - Glad you finally had a good run. The "camp" sounds like it would be fun and beneficial. And Snowmass, CO? Let's just say it's a given you're going. We're already anticipating all the pics. Don't disappoint us! Kelly - Bet your run up the trail was faster than your run down the hill. Wink A 6-mile progression run this a.m. First 4 miles, kept the HR around 150. Last two miles, picked it up and probably averaged around an 8:12 pace for quite awhile . . . then a hit a few uphills. Needless to say, that brought the average down. But for the whole 6 miles, had a nice pace of 10:18. Also did over an hour of knee exercises last night. Surprisingly, I slept really good even though I didn't get done until almost 8:30. Maybe exercising a bit in the late evening is the ticket to a good night's sleep for me. It probably also helped that all the cats slept elsewhere most of the night. Roll eyes Well, it's Hump Day folks. Enjoy the downhill slide to the weekend! MTA: Mornin', Arla! We were posting at the same time.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi All , Very busy week so just popping in. Arla- Way to go with all that schoolwork.Thanks for all that info, I will read it later. I am , however , following your advice. I have been lucky (knocking on wood) enough to be maintaining about 40mpw lately and having a splendid time doing so. With the last heat wave gone, the runs have been coming easily. Heat has been a big issue with the Budster running with me though and I have been planning his runs where I can swim him regularly. I also dropped him home on Sunday's long run (16.1m) after about 8 miles. Kelly- before I forget (space cadet that I am) ,Pittsgrove ,NJ is about 1.5 hours south of me.Nice area of the state. I loved Yosemite when I went there. Fortunately the bears (and their poop) were nowhere to be seen. Jim- glad the weather's holding out for you and your crops are doing well.Fingers are crossed for that to continue.Good going on your running too! Leslie- thanks for making my stomach growl with that recipe.I love shrimp. Evryday- I too like the way you think. I keep going back to the Ben Franklin quote that goes something like: "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be Happy" Smile Jewels- Way to go with your DD. Congrats and good luck with all your schoolwork! Carol- Good to hear your running is going better.That camp sounds like a way to keep you going strong for the long run. Cindy- still thinking about your sister and family when I see the news.Thank goodness it was mainly(sorry about the pets) material things that were lost.Maybe a bright side will be a better relationship between her and you for the future. have a good one folks.. Cool

Was rummaging through some old files and found a list of "Signs on Bathroom Walls." All of them are funny, but some are probably best not shared in an open forum Wink. Here's a few, tho: "Friends don't let friends take home ugly men." (Women's Restroom, Starboard, Dewey Beach, DE) "Beauty is only a light switch away." (Perkins Library, Duke University, Durham, NC) "Objects in mirror are not as old as they appear." (Sign over mirror in women's lockeroom, Redwood Empire Golf & Country Club, Fortuna, CA) "Express Lane: Five beers or less." (Sign over one of the urinals, Ed Debevic's, Beverly Hills, CA) "The best way to a man's heart is to saw his breast plate open." (Women's restroom, Murphy's, Champaign, IL)

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Got up early to run then the computer showed we had a pivot offline, so we raced over there so if we needed a tech to look at it we could get on the list early. Verdict was it was stuck so it would wait a bit then got home in time to shut another pivot down online before it ran out of fertilizer then we both did our runs. Afterward hauled some bags of lava rock to put in the wheel tracks of the stuck pivot and gave it a tug with Dodge cummins and nursed the fert tank and restarted the one we shut down. I did 4.0 with rea pole speedwork. Run 3 poles @ 5k, 1 pole float, 2 poles faster than 5k, 1 pole float, then 1 pole fast. Did 2 sets of those with full recovery jog in between and actually enjoyed it and felt fast today. Sooo an easy run tommorow then 5k race for speedwork on Sat then back off a little for the 10 days or so before the local 5k . I better get back at it will catch up to ya all later.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III