Masters Running

Saturday June 7th Daily (Read 404 times)

Late post of a really early run....just a busy day and now finally an hour to myself without an itinerary. Fabulous news Amy! Big hugs to you and your husband and I hope the recovery continues this way. I had a 7:30 breakfast meeting/presentation with a NH client so I drove up last night and was Ms. Cranky Pants the whole way. I am not usually a grouchy person and it costs me sleep when I get that way. Ater tossing and turning at the hotel, I took myself out for a run at 5:00 AM---8 miles in the foggy mist of Durham, NH. It was a great run actually and at a good attitude adjustment pace. The presentation went well and I laughed most of the way home down 495 and across Route 2 as I listened to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on NPR. I can't even remember if I went through the right EZ-Pass lane or not, I was laughing so hard. I made it home in time to see the kiddo play b-ball (hot here, but not the record heat they predicted---83F) and then it was off to Friendly's where ice cream is free today for little league players. The cranky fog disappeared completely when the kiddo treated me to a scoop of coffee ice cream. Life is good....The dudes are watching Nascar Baseball---kiddo just corrected me! and getting ready to watch Big Brown. I may (shhhhh) nap. dtoce--your avatar is perfect for weather like this! Until soon, CNYrunner MTA: Enke! Too funny, I do that as well with the running Js when we see the mobile radar/speed units. My record is a 13 and one of the Js hit 14. Big grin
      Aamos great news about your DH. I hope the rest of his recovery goes as well and as fast. A lot of good runs today even with the subliminal complaining about the heat! Tongue Actually Spareribs this is just the way I like it when I run. I am so happy to be able to go out in shorts and feel warm from the start. Today's run was just a bit over 10 miles. Happy warm weather running all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for the update, Amy. Great news!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Aamos! Thanks for the update. I believe D. is an interesting case, I think most docs only say that when it is so. Lou, Darn. We are taking lilmissrosie to Dulles (en route to London and then Madrid and then to Salamanca where she will study for 6 weeks) I thought we'd just stay up there for the night and see if y'all wanted to meet for dinner, ah well, maybe another time. KARIN! "Wait, wait..." was taped here in Virginia, in Va. Beach this week! My boss was at the show! She and her husband went down to VB for the taping on Thursday night, stayed the night, took Friday off and whathaveyou. I love that show. I listen to it on PodCast. I'll be at the rec. center laughing outloud and the guy on the machine next to me thinks I'm a loon. And that's just the way I like it! (Are we allowed to complain about the deer flies?)
          LaVita
          Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Enke: I cut and pasted from the Seafair Marathon site: June 8 at Tully’s Coffee on Points Drive in Clyde Hill to run/walk portions of the actual marathon course. The full marathoners will have the opportunity to participate in a 20 mile training run (10 Miles in Bellevue/10 Miles in Kirkland) and the half marathoners will have the option of a 10 mile training run. I'll be there at 7am, I really want to try those hills...it would be great if we could run together! Francesca
            evanflein

Just a real quick "fly by" post from my SIL's computer... Have to head out for the last regular game of the tournament... both boys play at 2 pm on fields several miles apart! Argh! Not sure how we're going to pull this off. DS1 played a good game the first time out, but against a team 2 years older (he plays on a '92 team, the opponents were a '90 team). They lost 3-0 so that was a rough start. Then his second game they played a team that just trounced his (different) team 2 years ago. They played really well, especially the last 20 minutes, and tied 1-1. If they'd played the way they played those last 20 minutes for the whole game, they'd have won handily!! DS2's team is just unstoppable. The two-years-in-a-row state champs played their arch rivals first game and won 1-0. Got some great photos of DS2 I'll post after I get home. They really like the kids on this team, and scrimmage with them during the winter, but had to put on their opponents hats for this game. Something that is hard for 14 year olds to do, sometimes. Second game this morning was cold and windy, but they won 3-0. So... I'm pretty sure DS2 will get to semi finals and hopefully the finals tomorrow. DS1 could be done today... Got in a nice run on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail yesterday. 10 miles in about 1 hr 25 minutes. Timing using my dress analog watch... yep, I left my Garmin at home. Egads, talk about withdrawal symptoms. Today I ran 5.2 miles (measured later with the car!) in about 45 minutes, lots and lots of hills. My BIL lives in the "hillside" district of Anchorage, and it comes by that name honestly. I got sunburned yesterday, windburn today. Never happy! Glad to hear Aamos' DH came through well. That's a relief. Twocat is wishing winter was back (smack those fingers with a ruler! how could you...!). Evryday is taking a break... hope it wasn't something we said! Holly is painting nooks and crannies (what color did you pick again, caramel?? hope we get pics!). Enke is racing speed traps, Spareribs is tuckered out and Ilene has a pain in her butt. There, I think that's the most I remember... Good running everyone. I prolly won't post again till after we get home.... Long late drive in store for Sunday night!
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

greetings to all. Aamos--so happy to hear the DH is back on his feet so quickly. heart problems don't often have such good news so fast. Enke-- I've tried to get the radars to record my blazing speed a couple of times, but nothing ever showed Confused someone told me they need something metallic to respond to. don't have a plate in your head, do you? Wink Never got a chance to post yesterday's run, so will cheat and do it here. 3.2 mile lake loop in the pouring rain. it wasn't raining as I got ready, but started just as I headed out the door. 55 out, so actually very pleasant. Hope the shoes have dried out for tomorrow. Erika-- I miss the kid's soccer times. Like you said the scheduling can be a pain, but I always enjoyed watching the games. it was sad when they retired. Neither of mine went on to play in high school. Kevin eta-- For Teresa--we just spent the day at Little Sebago finishing the opening. We may stop at Gilbert's on the way home for some chowder in a bread bowl. yum. and they're opening a branch in N. Windham now, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Enke-- I've tried to get the radars to record my blazing speed a couple of times, but nothing ever showed Confused someone told me they need something metallic to respond to. don't have a plate in your head, do you? Wink
                  No apparently I only have holes in my head Smile I just figure the radar was politely trying to tell me I'm the size of a Mac truck. Franc, thanks for the info. I think you are forgetting I run about 10:45 pace or slower on long runs. AND, unfortunately, 7am is just too early for me, although I was tempted!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke-- I've tried to get the radars to record my blazing speed a couple of times, but nothing ever showed Confused someone told me they need something metallic to respond to. don't have a plate in your head, do you? Wink Since I know something about radar let me share some my knowledge. Radar doesn't need something metallic but will have a farther range on metal. Some models won't record speeds under 20 mph or it may be targeting 400-600 ft. down the road too far to register your body. Also you need to be running at it not across it the more of an angle there is it will detect a slower speed, at 90 degrees will register as zero. If you and a bigger faster object, like a motor vehicle, are moving in the zone it will lock on the larger or fastest object. p.s. Don't get any pedestrian speeding tickets. Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Week long rain stopped long enough for sunshine in last evening's Fremont 5K Fun but I guess I know what franc113 and enkephalin are talking about cold today as more than half the runners at the start of this morning's freebie Green River Marathon from Kent, Washington to Alki Beach in West Seattle were wearing gloves and lots of runners <>me/me)>>> were shaking and chattering with cold at the finish. Off to the ice bath (feet and ankles only) then hot tub. got to run first mile with dove but she was already on the way to tomorrow's North Olympic Discovery Marathon when I finished. No wonder it took me so long, . . . I tried to keep up to Huskydon up Henderson Hill as his relay team brothers decided he was so much faster than them that they added a couple of miles to his leg this year. - HUSKY - you might as well run the marathon next year! ============================= ps - i think ilene has sr's butt. Big grin Big grin Big grin [[[[[censored]]]] - i get dibs on hers. Big grinBig grinBig grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet, you crack me up! Aamos, SOOOO glad to hear DH is doing so well. Give him a (gentle) hug from all of us! Sorry to hear about the heat wave a lot of you are having. Our forecast is for 2" of snow tonight but it'll be back in the 50's tomorrow. Spareribs, I liked the Eddie Stankey story - I think I remember it from Coolrunning, but not sure about the old memory... Anyway to follow up that story, I'll risk a fine. Not for heat, but for filing a RR in the daily. Run the Rockies Half Marathon Race Report I finished first in my age group (50-59 women) with a time of 2:24:18! The time seems awfully slow for a 1st place, but I guess the other "old ladies" were slower! Big grin The results aren't posted yet so I'll modify later when I know how many runners there were in the AG and overall. Nice weather - low 50's at the start, mid 60's at the end. Beautiful course, on an asphalt bike path from Copper Mtn ski area all downhill to the town of Frisco, where the 10K ended, then continuing out and back on the bike path to Dillon reservoir with constant rolling ups and downs. I did great on the first 10K with all the downhill. Would have been a 10K PR. But probably went out too fast. The aid stations only had water. No sports drinks at all! I was sadly unprepared for this event - I brought nothing with me. I was out of energy by about mile 10, and walked quite a bit to the end. I've carried Gatorade with me on all my 13 mile training runs, and felt fine. Today I totally bonked. Next time I'll find out what they have at the aid stations ahead of time! Anyway, I won a nice medal made of wood, circular with mountains and the race name. I also got a voucher for a free pair of Salomon XT Wings Trail Running shoes. Never tried these before so I hope they're good for my feet. Overall it was a good first half marathon experience, and I have all of you to thank for getting me into this!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

#artbydmcbride

Your first half marathon and you got 1st place in your division? Sa-weet!! Congratulations, Wildchild!

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

Nice going wild! And every year I am going to trot out that old Stanky story when I sense the H and H posts are getting too extreme. So Big Brown was a Big Dud. Well, no steroids shots for him lately. Go figure. We will learn about the Belmont one day. Every year when we have a horse looking for the 3rd win, just look to see the Zito horses and bet your mortgage on them. He does it time after time. My, how they beat those horses up; it's a shame. Aamos, thanks for the update and so happy it is promising news. Spareribs
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carolyn, congratulations! That's amazing! I'm so happy for you. You even WON something!! Amy, thanks for sharing the great news! Erika, your sons are doing great! I hope that both teams get to continue. Is it hard on DS1 when DS2's team does better? So far, my younger son doesn't seem jealous at all of his big brother's success - he enjoys telling other people about it. He's trying shot put, but doesn't seem that excited about it. Well, I'm on Day 2 of my forced rest week, so I will give a quick summary of DS15's state track meet this afternoon. Beautiful weather - low 70s, better than the 80s they were forecasting. His team's 4x800 relay team won the championship in 8:15, so they'll advance to the New England regional next weekend (just before final exams start, ychh). In the 1600 (mile), he came in 6th, but was still happy because he PR'd in 4:32. DD10 and I got there in time to see his 3200 (2-mile) race. How exciting! The boys really bunched together for more than a lap. It turns out that the senior who always wins told my son that he purposely started out slowly, hoping that DS would pass him and burn out quickly. DS fell for that trick last week, though, and resisted this time. So DS's 1600 split was 5:12 ("slow," lol), but then he poured on the juice and kept up with the senior the rest of the way. His second split was 4:49, for a second place finish time of 10:01. Not a PR, but just 3 seconds behind the senior. Last week the senior won by 15 seconds or so. On the high school track forum, one of the coaches wrote, "Great finish for the youngster!" I always enjoy hearing the comments of strangers watching DS run - "He's so small!" I'm so glad I went, and that I drove DS home. He was giddy and bubbly the entire way! Jabbered non-stop about how he's aiming for 4:15 next year and 4:00 as a senior. The kid doesn't lack in self-confidence or a competitive spirit - hmm, who does he get that from?? Wink
                                Hi everyone. Hope everyone has had a great week and beginning of the weekend. I had a very relaxing week at the cottage up north. Time spent in contemplation, time spent talking with my parents and time spent enjoying what I love most: time walking the woods, fishing the lake and running the wild trails (came upon a beautiful moose). Life is going to change as of now:...time to set some new goals in all areas of my life. What a wonderful, scary feeling...but you know it's right when it's who you are. Running with L tomorrow morning. Looking forward to catching up. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently