Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and More On the run we 10/17 (Read 432 times)

jfa

Ev- nice rainy run. I like the drizzle too and there's a lot of deer to be seen around here this time of year.A couple of parks I go to are Loaded with them.Buddy goes nuts when he sees them but the deer just stand there and look.I was finishing my run last night on a dirt road and it was just getting dark.A large doe ran out of the woods and almost mowed me down!

Cindy- Glad your foot's feeling better. Sounds to me like you do a lot of running simply chasing those kids!

Kelly- fixed the link for you.

Ultrachick

Thanks Joe!  I obviously didn't test it to make sure I did right.  Good luck to you at your marathon.  You're putting in some envious miles.  I got 24 min and 2m on the elyptical today!  You might just beat me this year for miles unless I can get myself going again soon .
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Howdy, Friends -

Ev - I've called my dad "Pops" for as long as I can remember.  Pops or Poppason.  My niece and nephew call him poppa instead of grandpa because that's what my mom wanted.

Kelly - It's the pits about your AT, but good for you being smart about it.  The elliptical.  Been on one once and didn't particularly enjoy the adventure.  Almost killed myself with those stupid handles.

Farmer Jim - Your cross training makes me tired.  Hope the weather cooperates for you.

Cindy - Ditto what Joe said about you and "running."

Hi to everyone else!

The stomach is MUCH happier today.  Yesterday it was still touchy, but I expected that.  Par for the course.  This morning, it was very blustery when I went out for my 5 miles and muggy!  Ugh!  They expect it to hit 69 today with rain and winds.  They were calling it sultry on the radio.  That always reminds me of "Throw Momma From the Train."   Anyway, dressed too warm, and it was a blessed relief to have to go the bathroom after a couple of miles.  Walked into the grocery store where it was nice and cool and wished I could've finished up my miles in there.  As it was, the first 3.5 were okay (I was doing strides), but the last 1.5 miles - cripes!  Felt like someone had poured lead into my poor legs.  What's a gal to do in that situation? Practice power walking the hills for those trail runs.  Worked out great!

On the dream front - It's a bit disconcerting when you're in the bathroom doing your (eh hem) "duty," and your friend barges in and tells you the starting quarterback for UCLA is here and wants to say "Hi!"  Then he walks in and they both start cracking up like it's the funniest thing the world.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess I can't compete with Leslie, but same theme for me today.

About 3/4 of a mile into my run this morning, I had the attack of the killer enchilladas and did a quick turnaround and 3/4 back.  Positive side--it was a pretty quick pace   But by the time I was about to head back out, I looked at the clock and just took my shower.  What a waste of good running clothes--all sweated up with nowhere to go  

but I did get the 10º I needed and broke out the lightweight tights.  Probably need them over the weekend while we're in Maine.  Supposed to be low 30s.  I love fall.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

but I did get the 10º I needed and broke out the lightweight tights.  Probably need them over the weekend while we're in Maine.  Supposed to be low 30s.  I love fall.

I suppose this  means we should bring warm clothes for our trip, including the winter running clothes.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey evryone!

A nice 7 miler in the cool drizzle again today.....ah....heaven!

LMD ran 6 miles.  She ran straight through.....very proud of her, but at the same time I'm concerned she might be doing too much too soon.

Latersonville.  See you later.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Ultrachick

Yes, bring your winter running clothes.  Lows in the 20s tonight here in northern VT and there is snow in the mountains.  I have a friend in Maine and she talked about ice on her windshield this morning going to work on Facebook-she's on the coast somewhere.  We've got the woodstove cranking and I'm sitting next to it with 3 layers on still from hanging out at a xc meet this afternoon-wool bottoms and top no less.  Be prepared for anything and everything-sun, wind, rain, sleet, snow.  I'm even getting my snow tires put on tomorrow!  Ahead of the game for once!
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Top 'O the World!

Ha! Knew we could share. We're on deck for upper 60's & beeootiful today!   which is still shorts & T's weather, is it not? Tights are below 30 for me....sleeves 1st.  Some folks over in another board keep talking about calf sleeves....light compression, come up to your knees...hmmmm, could extend the shorts weather by a bit I'd think...plus, aid w/shin splints, AT issues....? which I don't have but seems to me, I've heard some of that mentioned in here....
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Prolly to late, but have a great trip east, Leslie.  Also forgot to ask more specifics of where yo might be heading.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

After loading trucks and scooping out bins, moving and setting load out augers and dragging in the sweep auger through 3 feet of corn we were tired and didn't run this morning. Both of us were pretty sore but I think we will loosen up by tonite to get our runs in. Filled our corn contract with yesterdays loads and have just 2-3 left which I sold this morning, so just one bin left to clean out the bottom and the 08 crop is gone.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Morning!

Kelly - Thanks for the weather info.  I had to dig deep for my winter running clothes, but I think I'm prepared.  Bring on the sleet and snow!!  (Well, not really . . .)

Cindy - It's been weirdly warm here, too (which means I'm going to freeze my butt off on vacation).  Today it's suppose to get close to 70.  Plus it's wet and muggy.  Yuck.

Jim - I don't think you're working hard enough.  You should've gotten that last bin cleaned out yesterday.  Slacker . . .

Stumpy - We're going to VT, NH, and ME, and maybe pop up in to Canada and down into NY at Cooperstown.  The Hub would really like to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame.  He played in the minors for a couple of years, and coached our local summer semi-pro team for about 14 years.  Keeping fingers crossed we get close enough to Kelly to meet for dinner.  Kelly - Told The Hub if we get anywhere even near Burlington or Charlotte, it's gonna happen.  Just think how luck you would be - meeting me!!   {ha ha ha ha ha snork, coffee shooting out of nose, cough, cough, eh hem.  alrighty then . . .)

Wait.  Did I work out today?  Yes, indeedy.  30 min of cycling whilst watching my new TV.   Unfortunately, I've hooked something up wrong and couldn't get the blu ray player to work.   Oh well.  "When Harry Met Sally" will just have to wait 'til I get back.  Then it was about 1.5 hrs of core/strength.  . . . . then it was a brief argument w/The Hub about packing for our trip.  He'll get over it.  Plus, I got his suitcase all packed up before I left for work.

Had to go digging for all my cold weather running gear.  Cripes - I'm taking as much running crap as I am regular clothes!

Later ~

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Jim- is that the '08 crop,not the '09 crop? Either way, hope your work load will be less now.

Leslie- Good Luck with your trip! I'm going up to NH next weekend. I think that we missed the fall foliage though.

Not one but 2 nor'easters coming through this weekend.Really sucks because tomorrow's scheduled my longest training run (23m) and Sunday I'm running in a local 1/2. Mid 40's ,wind and rain. Oh well, guess I just have to embrace the suck as Ev would say.

MTA- just checked the New England weather Leslie, clear and cool for you. Should be nice!

Hey Leslie, have a great time on your trip.  Hope there are a few leaves for you to peep, and that you and Kelly can meet for dinner.  Sounds like fun! 

Healing vibes going out for Cindy, Stumpy, and Kelly.

Joe, I sure hope Saturday will be an EASY day for you in between the 23 miler and the 1/2.  Bet after you warm up, you won't even feel the sucky weather.

Ev, nice run for the lovely Mrs. Day. 

Jim, you and Lynda are definitely getting in some serious cross training.  Is Dessa helping you?

So far so good on the hoof for me.  New shoes and inserts are really helping, so I think all systems are "go".  Tuesday rode 12 mi/ran 2.5,  yesterday was a 1,000 meter swim, and today was a 3 mile progression run.  Saturday is the Komen 5K, and a week from Sunday is the Monster Triathlon -- 300 meter swim, 12 mile bike ride, 3.1 mile run.

Gotta get back to work....15th is reporting deadline for my #1 client,  and I haven't crossed that finish line yet.

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Slow 4.65 tonite, picked up Dessa for the last mile after work tonite. The trucks I have been loading have carved out 2 tracks of solid dirt to run the dirt roads out here. Lynda ran in town tonite after spectating at district x-country meet in town, the pavement just eats me up so I stayed out here. I will probably run once a week in town just to get used to harder surfaces but I did that tues nite. This morning dawned clear skies and warming temps right around 60 by run time, 23 just a few days ago but such is life in the Great American Desert!!!

Kelly.....the eliptical you have my sympathies, get better soon.

Kevin bummer 'bout those killer enchilada's cutting into your run time!!

Joe hope forecasters are wrong and you have some decent weather for those last big runs but we know you'll do fine either way!!

Ev nice weather for ya, hope your wife gets on ok with those bigger runs.

Leslie have a great trip, hope u get to hook up with Ultra and Jack! glad your feeling better.

Carol nice training, glad the shoe/inserts are working. Ya Dessa "helps", we have to be really carefull when cleaning bins too much dangerous stuff and heavy equip so she has to destroy stuff stay in the pickup or her pen while we work.

Cindy thank goodness we got to see the sun today huh, though we mighta got moved to Washington or somethin' while we were sleeping!!

Spastic day, procrastination pays sometimes, sold another 2 loads of corn for 20 cents/bu more than the last stuff and had 2 more trucks in this afternoon. We had everything in place so basically just had to sweep behind the auger. STIIILLLL have one more load of 08 left in that bin, but thats good, hopefully can move it tommorow. Pipeline was getting a little thin as end users are bidding up for corn in this dreary weather we had. We have harvested and put in an empty bin 13 loads of 09 corn last week, most of the 09 is still too wet to harvest both grain and the ground. They are coming along nicely on the new bin. Its gonna be cool, hope they get it done soon. It will hold 55 semi loads and has a powersweep to make cleanup much easier.

have a good one folks. Friday cometh soon

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Spastic day, procrastination pays sometimes

That could nicely sum up my Friday, but I'm still waiting for the payoff!

Glad Dessa got a little running in.  Poor dear, she can't help it if she gets b-o-r-e-d!  Katy says she should come over and play.

Komen Dallas 5K tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be awesome.  Mom's goal race, DH has a bet w/ his co-worker, and I'll get my new shoes a little race experience, so should be a fun day.

Progress Trumps Pefection