Masters Running

Friday 8/17/18 Runs and Other Assorted Mischief (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Normally I work from home on Fridays, but someone scheduled a lunch-and-learn at the office that I have to attend.  Additionally, there is a "Mandatory Happy Hour" at Ray's Wine and Spirits at 4pm that we are all expected to attend as a send-off for one of the employees that is leaving to become a teacher.  I have some objections to this.  First of all, we have had numerous employees leave during my 7.5 years there, and no one has merited a "Mandatory Happy Hour" send-off.  This is the boss's Fair Haired Boy, so somehow his leaving is something we all need to be there for.  Secondly, I am not drinking, and am dieting, and so am not looking forward to standing around with my glass of water looking at all the fattening goodies I am trying not to eat.  Mostly I am just annoyed that I have to add the 1:20 commute on a day I don't normally have that.  Oh well.  I will live through it.

I wonder how the Fair Haired Boy feels, knowing we will all be there because we are forced to, not because we want to be.....

No run for me today, swimming instead - 60 time across the pool (1500 yards) with a short rest at the end of every length.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Have Mandatory Fun, Holly...aren't these things odd??   But oh so real.    Enjoy your swim.

Rest day for me, will be doing 16+ tomorrow morning early.

Rock the Friday all!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

coastwalker

Mornin' Holly, Joe, and everyone yet to post.

Yeah, Holly, I wouldn't like the idea of a mandatory happy hour either. Can't you use your drinking and eating limitations for health reasons as a reason to send your apologies for not attending? It's one thing if you are already in the office - but to have to drive a significant distance to get there should also give you a pass. BTW, great pool workout.

Last night's Saunders 10K was a challenging race, mostly because of the 84° temps at the start. It was on a new course for this race and, thankfully, it had more tree shade than the old course. In this race, your AG is indicated on your bib. At the finish line, based on a formula the RD develops, a certain # of popsicle sticks are handed out to the first X-number of finishers in each AG. Those people can then turn in their sticks for a race shirt. That is the only way to get a shirt at this race. Last night was the first time in the 8+ years I've done this race that I earned a race shirt. I also beat the RD for the first time (he always runs his own race), was 357/455 finishers, and finished 1st in the RW div. It sure wasn't my fastest 10K, but given the heat, I felt pretty good about my results (1:08:43, 10:58 avg. pace according to my Garmin).

This morning, I went 5.6 EZ RW recovery miles in nice 63° temps before DW and I took our house guests to our favorite dive for breakfast.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

anneb

'Mandatory Happy Hour', sorry about that! Friday is probably the worst day because everyone just wants to get on with their weekend, not be stuck with work people! But yes a very real thing unfortunately.

Nice race, Jay! I really can't imaging RW'ing that pace. I'm super impressed.

I ran about 4 in my neighborhood this morning. About 15 minutes into my run, came upon a friendly dog Sad No tags/collar, clearly was a runner (some kind of mix that looked kind of like a aussie shepherd but with a terrier face? It came right to me and as I was looking around for an owner, asked if he wanted to go 'home', etc but as soon as 2 cars went by it ran off again (fast). I was hoping the one of the cars was its owner, but nope. It's not a super busy neighborhood but this dog could definitely get far Sad Off to see if someone posted about it missing on Nextdoor

Anne

Henrun

Congrats Jay. In the old days (30+years ago) I earned a couple of shirts but , alas never in the last decade and, I never beat the RD.

We’re at my BIL’s in the NY Hamptons (where all the celebs summer) for a long weekend. Had the drive from hell-much NYC traffic yesterday and got here sometime in the evening. This morning (while all were sleeping) I went for a 3 mile run. Now everyone is getting ready to either drive or bike to the beach.

pfriese

7 easy miles to the park & back.

Paul

Dave59

Sort of rest day for me, but since we have a step challenge going on at work I ran 2 on the treadmill. Rain with thunder outside. The 2 miles gives me a few thousand steps and I'll take enough walk breaks from work to get that up to at least 10,000.

Our team has been in first place since the start of this challenge, then when I looked this morning, some other team was in first. I am calling bull crap on that.  This team wasn't even in 2nd yesterday and now their team is averaging 12,000 more (total) steps per person than our team.  Did they all go out and run a marathon yesterday?  Or did they manually enter inflated step counts?  I believe I know the answer to that!  

(My griping about the challenge was tough-in-cheek. There is no reward for winning this challenge and even if there were, I wouldn't care enough to be upset.)

Sorry to be MIA for so long but I feel it will likely continue a while longer 

I banged up my leg in my camper mid July which didn't seem like more than a bruise at the time - I remember putting arnica gel on it right away thinking I didn't want a huge bruise on my lower leg for the summer. I really thought it was nothing more for the next 2 weeks. I was still running, biking, working and only a little soreness in the leg. Then about 2 weeks ago later in the day after a run my leg was screaming at me. I decided to give it a 2 week running break but continued to feel some pain with walking and even on the bike at times. Pain was weird - sometimes very low on the pain scale, other times sharp and angry like someone was trying to saw in to my bone!! Finally made an appt with the ortho to have it looked at since the no running wasn't making a difference - I did try to run but couldn't go more than a few steps without screaming pain. The x-ray doesn't show any obvious fracture, but the PA said based on how swollen and spongy  my bone felt she couldn't totally rule out a hairline/stress fracture. Right now I am in a lower leg brace to keep it immobilized - no running, no walking, no swimming, no biking, no work -- basically wants me keeping activity as limited as possible --- so hard to do!!!! After 2 weeks we will re-evaluate and see if I should get the MRI or if things are improving start adding in activity. So very annoying but I know it could be worse!!

On the brighter side -- I can do chair cardio, upper body weights seated, crunches and I even did some planks today keeping all the weight off the left lower leg.

I am hoping to head back up to my camper in Maine Sat after my aunt's funeral so I can at least be by the pool and the ocean. Might as well read (sulk) up there instead of home. The tricky thing is my husband's mother came up from the Cape to try living with us again and my husband was laid off yesterday --- at least he can spend time with his mom here if she doesn't want to go to Maine with me!!

So that is my saga -- I do think about all of you often and like keeping in touch on FB with those of you that are there!!

Happy trails to all, may all your ouchies go away!!

denise

Cheaters never prosper.  They'll get their come-uppance.

Congrats on the T-shirt, Jay!  Wear it with pride.

Holly - What would happen if you just didn't show up?  You couldn't be there if you were out of town . . . or sick . . . or in a coma . . .

I brought back some cannabis icy hot sports cream from WA last year. Not sure it really did any good, but I liked the icy hot feeling.

I have Bonkos hangover - too late of a night, too much fun, and too much eating of salty snacks.  I'd rather be anywhere else but here today.  I found out when I got in at 7:00 a.m. that a probate file was pulled from me yesterday after I left without anyone even saying anything to me about it.  There's not much left to do, but that's not the point.  At least give me the courtesy of telling me it's going to happen before you do it.  I'm working my a$$ off here, folks.  It's not my fault I'm doing the work of 3 people.

. . . . I'm a bit cranky today . . . 

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie- how did you travel the cannabis cream?

Jay- congratulations on getting the shirt and on a good race.

Hollly- as an employment lawyer, I can tell you that a mandatory happy hour is a really, really bad idea.  We always make sure that any after work social activities are clearly optional and any behavior that yields “issues” is on the individual and not the company.  If there are any hourly folks at that mandatory happy hour, they sure better be getting paid!

Managed my “long” run for Colorado this morning- 8.2.  Once again, not easy and HR too high, but it sure is beautiful here.  Mainly dirt road and some easy single track (I still stumbled twice, being graceful....).  Glad it’s done!

Have a greta Friday and weekend, y’all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Did you just get the cream in WA because you were there? I would think they'd be selling that on every block in Humboldt County  

RunnerKSA - I think Leslie had a CBD based cream and because there is no detectable THC in it, most places that sell CBD products can ship anywhere, so it's not a big deal to travel with it either. 

hoping to finish up a big motion I'm working on today and the earlier I finish it, the earlier I'm leaving. I've worked through just about every lunch break so I have some time coming to me. plus my boss doesn't even keep tabs on my comings and goings, so hoping to get out of here by 3ish for some TM fun 

Tammy

Did you just get the cream in WA because you were there? I would think they'd be selling that on every block in Humboldt County  

RunnerKSA - I think Leslie had a CBD based cream and because there is no detectable THC in it, most places that sell CBD products can ship anywhere, so it's not a big deal to travel with it either. 

We got the product when we were in WA on vacation and my butt was hurting so bad.  Figured I'd at least give it a try.  KSA - We were driving, so there wasn't an issue.  Well, if we'd been stopped and searched it would've been an issue.  I did contact the company about getting some more, but it's against federal law for them to ship across state lines.  The laws of what, where, when regarding selling/transporting across state lines can be complex.

Believe it or not, we don't have many store fronts in Humboldt County yet. I think only one in Arcata.  Mind-blowing, I know.  But the Powers That Be want to limit things so that there aren't a bunch of pot stores popping up.  My guess is that will all change soon.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

that store can't ship? Our hemp store in GP that sells CBD can ship across state lines. I specifically inquired about that incase Liz wanted to buy from them for Dolly. But I know this store also submits to some pretty rigorous testing of their product so perhaps they've taken the extra steps to meet federal compliance or something.

Tammy

...30-min Precor...............YOWSA///////

=============

was talking to another Runner at the Y

and

told him about PieJones getting Knocked-Out during The Barkley,,,,,it was Hilarious

haven't

gotten to

talk to PieJones lately,

but

he was Like That before he got knocked-out too

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - too bad you had to tell FHB that you have a last-minute conflict, . . . to go running and enjoy yourself.

Poor guy.  I need to remember he's just as stressed as I am. 

Leslie - I wanted to say that he gets paid for stress, you don't.

Don't feel sorry for him, especially if he doesn't for you..

Tammy - sorry for more detail but what is two-in-one?

Thanks. .

KSA - I sure enjoyed getting huge air on one of the massive rolls

like a giant ocean swell coming down the ski hill but with the landing

angled to perfectly match the skier descent out of the sky.

So smooth.  What's there to do in summer?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)