Masters Running

Wonderful Wednesday, June 9 runs and such (Read 867 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

It was raining

It was pouring

So I did more snoring

I did do my situps, reverse crunches and pushups though. 

I can't wait to read SteveP's new poem. 

As for the cows yesterday, we have neighbors (and I use that term very loosely) that live about .75 miles away.   They are grandfather claused in and can have all sorts of different animals.   I have seen peacocks, exotic ducks, lamas, horses, chickens and goats on their property.   But, I have never seen any cows or pigs so all of a sudden seeing them down by our house is a bit surprising for this city girl.    I guess a few years back my running buddy next door went out to her garage and found a goat standing there!! 

Happy Hump Day everyone!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I look my best blurry!

Good morning all!  Got in a quick 4.7 in the pouring rain.  Had a splash!  Now off to see my 'baby' graduate from elementary school!  Smiles!  Tears!  And she is such a tomboy but asked to go buy a dress yesterday.  First dress since probably 1st grade!  She looks adorable.  Even picked out a necklace!  We are in quiet shock, don't want to embarrass her.  Hope it lasts!

...I have never seen a Goat on my runs.........

========

......but I digress........

...................First Streetrun in a Year..........

..............................it was like the First Day of School....

.................................I woke up early,

took my resting pulse (54)

..tried the leg a couple of times,

decided NOT to run,

then decided to NOT NOT run,

laced 'em up and hit the street........

it was WONDERFUL

............20 min 4/1............a little tough on the hills,

since my quads and hams are involved,

and had to flat-foot on the way back......

a month of this and I Go for My Goal====>>> Add HeavyHands.................ohboyohboy

........................good running guys.............Celebrate Small Victories......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Wannabe, as the father of 3 girls, I kinda wish they had a bit more tomboy in them. They are VERY girly. Although my oldest has fun with soccer. Congrats on the "graduation". My oldest will "graduate" from 5th grade after next year.

Mary, I don't know what I'd do if I ever saw a cow or a goat near my suburban home.

Track last night was a struggle. Legs didn't feel light and quick at all. And I compounded the problem by going out too fast on the first interval.

1.45 mile warm-up 9:13 pace, a few 100 meter jogs and strides

400 meter  1:24

600 meter  2:26

800 meter  3:24

600 meter  2:34

400 meter  1:26 - this last one made me feel a bit better but I was gassed after.

.8 mile cooldown 9:19 pace

One of the running club members is a crossfit trainer and led the group in tabata style burpees and sit-ups. I tried but ran out of gas. The deadlifts and metcon workout in the morning just made this too tough.

Based on last night's workout and the fact I only got 5 hours of sleep b/c of the Celtics game, I really figured this morning's run would be horrible. But you never know with running. This morning's run kicked butt. It was effortless. I guess in Master's Forum parlance, it was sproinky. I started out conservatively and then picked up to a tempo pace around mile 4, which was all uphill until about mile 6 or so. You just never know with this running thing.

Mile 1  9:18                             

Mile 2  8:54                             

Mile 3  8:42                             

Mile 4  8:30                             

Mile 5  8:05                             

Mile 6  7:54                             

Mile 7  8:12                             

Mile 8  8:31

Total: 7.82 miles @ 8:32 pace

That's it for me today. Back to work. Launching 3 new product & service offerings tomorrow so today is a supergrind. 

jtv

Tomwhite - glad to hear about your run!

Wannabe - good run in the rain, and congrats on your "baby"s graduation.

Decided to meet a few friends this am.  Warmed up with a mile walk and about 1/2 mile run.  I then found myself on this strange cushy green thing, and started running in circles.  I seem to remember this from a previous life. but it felt very strange.

Spent the next few miles chasing a boomer (and a younger ) goddess.  I used to be able to keep up with them, but that was many moons ago.  They dragged me through 5 1/4's in 1:25, 1:35, 1:35, 1:38, 1:36, and a 1/2 in 3:28.    It felt good to be back on the track again (I think), although my body may disagree.

Enjoy your day/run everyone.

ETA - EGH3 - don't you wish you could capture runs like that and save them for race day!

Marathon Maniac #957

...................First Streetrun in a Year..........

..............................it was like the First Day of School....

WooHoo!!

Leslie – are you saying that your longest training weekends are 2 weeks out from your 50Ks or 3 weeks?

Re: cellphones – I confess that I almost never carry a cellphone while running.  I don’t have pockets in my running skirts (other than the tiny key pocket in the back) and don’t like to carry a fuelbelt unless I absolutely have to.  The only time I carry a cellphone is when I’m doing a long run of 18-20 miles in the winter, when I venture onto less-traveled parts of the river path in case I slip on some ice and twist an ankle in some remote location.

Vista – I have been pushing my shoes much farther in mileage, due to finances being a little tighter at the moment, and now have 2 pairs in the 600’s and one in the 500’s and cannot say I see any problems as of yet.

Wanaberunner – do they have a ceremony and everything?  How cute!  The only “graduation” kids get in our district is from high school.

EGH3 – nice workouts!

5.5 easy-paced (10:31) miles for me on the TM today as a thunderstorm raged outside.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Had a splash!  Now off to see my 'baby' graduate from elementary school!  Smiles!  Tears!  And she is such a tomboy but asked to go buy a dress yesterday.  First dress since probably 1st grade!  She looks adorable.  Even picked out a necklace!  We are in quiet shock, don't want to embarrass her.  Hope it lasts!

Have fun at the graduation, I too am all full of tears all week long since my last baby is graduating from high school. Tonight is his Senior Banquet, I went to the store the other day and bought a nice shirt and a matching tie for him to wear tonight. I have 11 hours to convince  him that he should dress up for the occasion. 

Last night: 8 miles on my new found loop. The last four miles felt very fast. Since I divorced my garmina for the summer  I will never know how fast I ran last night. Also some upper body weights and some planks.

Today:

My run was in the rain also. I did not wear a hat because I wanted to feel the rain on my face, this proofed to be a bad idea since I had a hard time opening my eyes to see the road. 

Have a magnificent day !!!!

Tamster, how are the PR legs feeling today?

Taperboy, how is the Oyster PR tummy feeling?

maEcono, how is the Woodsman?

Peerchcreek, sorry to hear about your hammie problems.

Roch, you sure are raking up those miles in your bike.

Craneium, how are the legs treating you?

Dg, are you fully recovered?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

I went out for a 3 mile walk with some jogging mixed in.  My sore right calf is feeling better, but I'm sure (real) running on it now would not go over well.

I ran a half marathon at the end of February where there was a goat near one of the turn arounds of an out and back section.  It would run along with one person until someone came from the other direction and then it would switch and go the other way with them.  It was a bit unsettling because I imagined it was trying to decide which person to run into.  I didn't want it to choose me.

TammyinGP

Good Morning!

Congrats on your son's graduation wannabe! That's so cute. Our school didn't have a special grad for K'ers, but if I recall correctly, I think the K teacher probably made a big deal out of it and did something special for them. Today is my son's last day of 4th grade and he said he'd probably cry when he gets home. He loved 4th grade, absolutely adored his teacher and just really wishes school was year round. This boy loves to be at school!

and belated congrats again to your son, Nancy! How's the convincing going?

Legs are feeling good - in fact great, although I haven't run on them yet so I guess that'll be the test. As I've mentioned, they never really felt sore afterwards and I felt like I was up to running on monday, but I decided to err on the side of caution and just take the recommended rest time. I had 90 min of deep tissue work done yesterday and that felt great also. My MT was amazed at how few tight spots he found. Today is fairly cool out so I think I'll get out at lunch time and put in a few miles.

Tammy

We have bighorned sheep on our highways:  sheep

Had to take a quick break to note tomwhite's achievement.  I was in tears when I could finally run after a several month long hiatus in '03-04.  Yay!

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

..... I was in tears when I could finally run after a several month long hiatus in '03-04.....

yep,

I remember this..........we were all so Happy for you...

....................>.........>................>...........>..and BOY did you get Fast Quick////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Kimmie

only time for a quick fly by....

Rain here, too.   Ran 5 fartleked miles.  Smile  Happy I got out, because the rain was making me not want to.

Leslie – are you saying that your longest training weekends are 2 weeks out from your 50Ks or 3 weeks?

Two weeks out.  For example, for Desert High on 12/06/09:

Sat - 11/21 - 24 mile trail run

Sun - 11/22 - 10 mile trail run

Mon - 11/23 - Rest

Tues - 11/24 - 3+ mile EZ run or 30+ min stationary biking; core/strength

Wed - 11/25 - 10 miles w/strides

Thurs - 11/26 - Same as Tues

Fri - 11/27 - Rest

Sat - 11/28 - 10 mile trail run

Sun - 11/29 - 6 mile trail run

Mon - 11/30 - Rest

Tues-Wed - EZ runs 3/5/3

Fri/Sat - Rest

Sun - 50k

All the wonderful runs today - I'm jealous. Mine didn't go so well.  Don't know if I did too much re the strength training yesterday, but they were dead, dead, dead.  It was all I could do to get in 8.5 of the scheduled 10.  I did do 5 of my 6 hill sprints, but I'd call them more of a sprepeat - a cross between hill sprints and hill repeats.  For #6, I just kept it slow and tried my darndest to climb The Hill without stopping, but didn't work out.  On the bright side - I had a beautiful double rainbow to guide me through the sprepeats.  Sun, blue sky, storm clouds, rain, and a rainbow.  Little bit everything all in one run.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Renee the dog

Rest day for me today, so the family hopped on our bikes for a 4.5 mi ride.  Such big smiles on the kids' faces every time we ride.  

My daughter passed her exit exam for K today.  Figured we'd make it like traditional school and have exams before the last day.  So now, I torture her for 2 more days with schoolwork even though she knows she out of K.   She passed with a B (88%).  A hard-earned one too -- Bayside and I really put together a challenging test.  (Obviously, we're not in the homeschool camp of "no testing" or the "everyone gets an A" one either).

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hello Everyone,

Darn it Steve (perch)....your hurtin' again 

Nice "speedy" workout there George

I always think wannaberunner is Karin too....until I look and read closer.

tomwhite, that's real 

Not to sound stoopid Mary.................but what's a reverse crunch? (I'm sure I will feel dumb with a obvious answer to the question)

Nice track workout jtv, with your friends.................keep that up, and you will be as fast as them again Ya know

Holly, I have been getting MANY more miles out of my running shoes (900 on my last pair of Nike's) and I didn't suffer any bad consequences from it. Heck, with my new Nike Free's, I bet I get super mileage out of these too.

Nancy, finding new running routes is fun....nice 8 miler - "I divorced my garmina for the summer"....do you really quit using your Garmin in the summer?

Dave59................guess I missed something about your calf.....hope it gets better real soon

Tammy, that just goes to show how well you trained and prepared for your Marathon.....you were not even sore . Happy you got a good massage from Mr. HunkMan  ......and hope you have a nice few miler.

that just goes to show how well you trained and prepared for your Marathon.....you were not even sore . Happy you got a good massage from ......and hope you have a nice few miler.

Amy and her tremendous Marathons.....and her sneaky RR's. ......your last one you Rocked, with the description you gave of the course and uphill climb!

Nice 5 fartleked miles Kimmie.............your excused

Sorry about your run Leslie.....but normally the next one is a great one.....quite the array of weather there, with a cool double rainbow 

"Such big smiles on the kids' faces every time we ride".  - Their smiles put one on mine, Nono

I still can't run yet because of my sore arch, but I have been Cycling and taking long walks instead....walking actually feels good right now - and I feel strong Cycling. I was going to race a long Duathon this Sat, but I have definitely changed my mind about that, and need to get back to easy running first....will try again tonight.

Leslie, I found some narrow horse trails about 10 miles from home, off the side of a paved trail....I could ride my Mountain Bike there - trail run - then ride back home  

Holly, Auggggg, I did get a touch of poison ivy on my face......but it's not too bad, especially if I keep from scratching it.

I need to get busy and write a RR....been kinda busy because my car quit running, and it's been a pain getting around to do things. Been kinda bummed also real bummed actually....I get that way sometimes after races that I really looked forward too and trained hard for, and then my stoopid job thing bugs me too..............but many have it worse, huh?

Hope everyone is having a Good Day,

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!