Masters Running

RR My first 10K race (Read 271 times)

Sat. in Gold Hill, OR., I ran my first 10K.    It was a gamble, but I made up my mind after careful thought, and knowing that I was in great shape.  The 10K was my New Years Resolution for 2009, so I am ahead of schedule for personal goals.  When I went to the table to register, my heart was in my throat, and I whispered "10 K" to the lady.  I had written times for the 6 miles on the palm of my hand, and that was so encouraging and helpful to me during the race.  I knew I could do the time, because I had practiced.   My Coach had said to just walk!

I checked out the little town the night before, but no one I talked to in town even knew there was a race!   One waitress said "Is that a motorcycle race?"

I was accompanied by Johnny of GP, who is getting over an injury, and was such a good companion.   I was DGL, but so happy to finish feeling good, and having accomplished my goal of a pace of 14:00.  

Tammy was there, having already ran 6 miles, and running the Half, as was Econo.  DD1 ran the 5K.  We all said a quick Hi, and then we were off.  

I need to find a good way that suits me to get warmed up with out wearing me out, because at the start of most of my races, I tire out right away, and wonder what in the world I am doing there.  There is a  thin line for me somewhere of what I should do, and what will be too much.  

The first mile or so seemed to take for ever.   At mile 1, I tried not to think that I had 5+ to go, but by mile 2, I was enjoying a nice easy pace.   At mile 3, I knew that this usually was the end of the race for me, but I was feeling fine.  I took the tiny cup of water at the water station, and ate, are you ready for this, a couple of gum drops. Hi Tec!  Mile 4 just went by. I was glad the course was flat.

I was remembering what Ribs had said, and had practiced at home, using faster and smaller steps, and that seemed to keep my legs from getting so tired, and also added some speed.  I tried to have good form.   I ran what I could and kept the walking fast, and for as short  time as  needed. 

Johnny and I were at the end of the pack almost all of the race, but there was one woman not far ahead, and we passed her.  Then, she cut a corner, and probably cut off a quarter mile of her race!   I really think she just made a mistake, and will give her the benifit of the doubt. 

I really wanted to get ahead of that woman, especially after she cut the corner!   It was about mile 5 by then, and I will admit to being tired, but by small incriment, I got up behind her, and then  passed her soon before the finish. It took about a mile to get by this woman!

The finish was not marked very well, and I had to slow down and look around to find it.  Just about 20 feet before I got to the end, a car pulled right in front of me, and I had to jump to the sidewalk, and go around it.  The race director and another person ran out waving their arms to get the prople to move the car. 

Johnny was such a gentleman, and insisted I go in first, and I had the other lady behind me.   At times, at the end of a race, I get light headed, etc., but I did not have that problem.  I kept moving a little, and got water, and fruit as soon as I could.  DD1was there to meet me.

My pace was 14:00 min per mile, exactly what I had written on my hand!  I was, well, 1of1 in my age group.   I'm always looking for some other Mama to come on the scene for more fun! 

We waited for Econo and Tammy to come in from the Half. , and headed for lunch, took some photos, and had fun. Tammy had kept going for another 1 mile!  Everyone was pleased with what they had done, but those are their stories to tell. 

I'll do another 10K, but will wait a while.  I'm feeling fine, and took two days off, and will not do much today. it is back to the woods for me, and also to my C25K schedule, which has helped me. 

Woods Lady

I really wanted to get ahead of that woman, especially after she cut the corner!   It was about mile 5 by then, and I will admit to being tired, but by small incriment, I got up behind her, and then  passed her soon before the finish. It took about a mile to get by this woman!

Woo hoo! Way to prevail over the competition!   You did another fantastic job, Woods Lady.  Good job.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

YAY Ma!! It was SOOOO good to see you again and congratulations on already reaching one of your 2009 goals and getting a nice shiny Rock Star Ribbon to go with it!

and way to chase down your cheatin' competition (ok, ok, maybe she made an innocent mistake).

Sorry I had to dash so quickly. Can't wait to meet up again and have more visiting time.

Tammy

Way to go WoodsLady/MaEcono.  You sure followed your plan well.  Congrats on beating the "corner cutter" and winning your AG.  It was neat you got to share the day with Econo, Tammy, and DD1.   Congratulations.

TomS

Hip, hip, hooray!  Well done, Woods Lady!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

woooohooo Woods Lady!!  nice job on your 1st 10k -- i'm sure there will be plenty more!!

denise

Thanks, you guys!   It was great fun in all ways.

I love a big project!

Fatozzig, I love the 45 Lessons by Regina Brett, and just now printed them off.  "#42:   The best is yet to come."     Thank you for the list. 

Woods Lady

SteveP

Thanks for the sweet RR!!!!  I hope to read more from you. Very nice.

SteveP

You need to fire your coach!  She's too conservative, I guess.  Hearty congratulations from your cheering crowd, and thanks for the lunch!
                      Congratulations on your first 10K!  Great job meeting your goal...Janet
                      coastwalker

Yo, yo, Ma!!

What a great race for a first 10K: Right on pace; goal time achieved; New Year's resolution accomplished, targeted runner passed; and #1 in your AG! You're one smokin' Woods Lady!

So, what's next???

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Woods Lady - you are the bomb!    Great job, and with style!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Super job Woods lady!!   You were very diligent to stick to your plan and not over do ....

Congratulations on your first 10K and beating the "corner cutter".  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

huskydon

Woods Lady,

Great job on your first 10K!  Sounds like you had enough in your tank to finish strong. I like how you took care of business passing that woman that has trouble following the course.  Rest up, and savor the accomplishment and the AG win - congratulations!

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Fantastic WoodsLady.  You have a lot of heart and determination.  Me thinks you gave some of it to Econo.  But, don't tell her I typed it.  Congrats on having fun, hitting your goal pace and #1 in your AG.  Keep having fun out there.  Hope to see you again soon.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")