Masters Running

40s On the Run - nO KaTcHy TiTlE for Wk EnDiNg 07/19/08 (Read 408 times)

Morning, Everyone! Easy 3 miles this a.m. w/45 min of strength/core. Joe - Good job on the 5-miler! The whole twist-the-ankle thing - makes your heart leap into your throat for a moment, doesn't it? Wink I stubbed my left toe really hard on Saturday and did the whole windmill arms-falling forward-huge steps-trying not to face plant-it thing. I was quite proud of my unknown-til-then acrobatic ability! Farmer Jim - Quite the picture. I've never experienced a tornado and don't want to. Kelly - Absolutely no offense taken by anything you said. We're here to support and learn from one another. I appreciate your willingness to share your wealth of information with us . . . especially at no charge. Big grin I've bookmarked the blog and will read through it over the next couple of days. I have exchanged emails with my coach over the last 24 hours, and after he gets back from participating in the Race Across Oregon, we're going to get together and revamp my schedule, working on speed and endurance, and I'm going to grill him about the miles. He has been adamant in the past that it takes the body too long to recover after 3.5 hours or 18 miles and that for now we are sticking miles. He did, however, comment that if we ever decided to up our runs to 50 milers ( Shocked ), that would change. With regard to training, besides the open road and trails, I have a decent amount of equipment at home that probably isn't being utilized to its best advantage. As far as finding a dirt road to get out on, I'll have the think that over. I know we have them Wink, I just have to think about where would be the safest to run. It would have to be a Saturday trail run replacement, because during the week I run in the dark-thirty hours of the a.m. This event was the first one I've participated in in which we were allowed drop bags, so I was unsure of what I would need and when. With regard to the TP, bowel issues have a been a real problem the longer the distance. This is the first time I've used Imodium and it worked really well except for one instance. Next time I'll take 2 in the a.m. and see if I can get through. I try to carry a minimum of baby wipes in a baggy 'cause I don't want the added bulk, etc. This was also the first event where port-a-toilets were stationed along the course . . . but not when I was in need. Undecided I am very much looking forward to crewing for Kate because I know I'm going to learn a lot. And she, just like you, has been very giving and forthcoming with advice, etc. The ultra running community is definitely something special indeed.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Wow! Lots of chatting since I was last here....last night!? Kelly: That's why we're askin' ya darlin'! Wink & this is definitely not the group to "be offended" by experiential input! Wink I'm signed up as a volunteer/crew/massage therapist (chance to chat) @ the Trans Rockies Run in August...I figured that would be an excellent place to learn lots from a small gathering (300) top endurance athletes....& I always take samples from the various vendors @ the local races...cheap way to test drive different products! not sure I can tell the difference much yet - my longest run being only 15 miles Big grin but my re-vamped (see more miles) schedule has me over that in about 10 days from now...target: 40 mpw building to 54, then tapering...over the next 14 wks.....btw, Thank you for your input!! Much appreciated! R2: don'tcha just love them ropey things! pluck the dog house right outta the back yard & leave the shingles unruffled! Big grin Be thankful that the big ones are more rare in Western NE than Eastern! Wink my Dad was a storm chaser when I was little....I got to see a coupla big ones! Hope Harvest continues to go well for you! Chat when you have time...."Hi Lynda!!!" Joe: Thank ya kindly! I've very pleased w/her!! & you have a fine lookin' pooch yourself! Wink.... All in all, I'd say you did rather well w/that race!! that's always my fear w/being near the sidewalks....I've broken mine doing that!! Roll eyes hope you iced well afterwards! Re: Boot Camp...no haircut (but it's tempting!)...day 3 this am went MUCH better than the 1st two Thank God! (don't tell Pat, he'll have me doing more push-ups!! Evil grin ) Re: the temps variables - they have everything to do w/why we love Colorado! Big grin minor cold front + 10,000' elevation will do that for ya! @ 36* I had to pull out the long sleeves!! course the 'warmer' morning up there was only around 42* then got up to nearly 80 for the afternoon.... It is absolutely magical up there this time of year Smile psst~ btw, mental health days are mandatory! Boot Camp: 3 warm up laps; 3 sets each (he likes doing these "station" things): 5 reverse pull-ups, 25 sit-ups (military style), 15 yds squat jumps, 25 more sit-ups, 250 reps jump rope, repeat..timed...one more lap cool-down, 10 mins stretches...then went home & took Mairead out for 3.6 easy (achey) miles.... cleaned up & did an outcall 90 min massage...included toting a 35lb table Tongue C
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Hey guys - Here's the link to my race report over on the ultra forum: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/ultra/Forum/Post/62eb8879119946e480fdf4ebd9a7f110#focus Fashion Report: Black shorts, white tech shirt w/yellow sleeves, pink sports bra (power color), my favorite wild pink gators, new white Runner Zombie hat, and green (dirty) Vasquez trail shoes.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Woot, woot Leslie.....just read your report. I love the part about you moving over to let the guy go by and he was actually the "sweeper" dude. It was actually funny the way you wrote it. Joe-A big shout out to you on your outstanding race. Hope the ankle is doing O.K. You really kicked it in after that first mile. Great job! Will check in with eveyone tomorrow.....gotta go! Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Catching up with the reading about ya all with my 11 pm supper including the 2 race reports. Leslie you have come along way in very short time, hang in there. Joe bummer about the ankle and right at the start too, great time and neg splits too even with the injury. Cindy glad the boot camp is getting easier, and oh major jealous of your mountain house time Wink. Great job on the LR mileage, "only "15 miles, Purty darned good!!! I don't think any combines or trucks stopped running during that little F0 ish tornado yesterday even though it was NWS warned. The one we had in March a year ago, it was pretty spooky, about a mile from our house and about 3/4 mile wide. http://www.extremeinstability.com/07-3-28.htm Carol good luck on your half training this time around. Darned hips anyway, mine seems under control but it took a long time to get to where I'm at. Just the way it tis. Kelly I enjoy reading your training tips and felt I learned alot from your advice to Leslie even tho I'm not near that advanced or doing those kind of runs. OH and I like the GU's also, take them hiking in the CO mtns and always do one before a race, my races are so short its mostly mental, but tell myself its rocket fuel Big grin Jewels; enjoying your classes still? Hope your getting that old bull rider injury healed up Wink Wink Was gonna fix some things before we started, in the process of changing a belt broke another piece and ended up doing a mega parts run to 3 different Deere dealerships and 200 miles for something all of them should have stocked Angry Anyway its fixed now

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ultrachick

Phew-glad I didn't hurt anyone's feelings! These races are a learning process for me as well and if anyone can learn from my mistakes that's super. We're all on our own individual journey and we are where we are and some days we'll be further ahead than others. There's my yoga speech for the day Big grin Jim-Expresso Love GU with 2x the caffeine is my rocket fuel Joe-nice race report as well. Great job recovering from the ankle roll. If you want to try to keep with me then you can't work so much. I'm sacrificing income for miles. Wink Cindy and Carol-keep up the good work training for your upcoming events. Jewels-{{{{{{healing vibes}}}}}} Well, speaking of individual journeys....yesterday I managed to get 20 miles in since I'll be busy at the VT100 all weekend. This is only significant to me because I just ran 20 miles on Sunday for last week's long run. I've never run 20 milers two days apart like that before. And I feel good. Sunday I ran all at once where as yesterday it was 8 on a treadmill in the morning and the other 12 later in the afternoon (6m warm-up before a 5k trail race and 3 more for cool down). This is also a big deal to me because I now have a 6 week streak of 20 mile long runs that I thought was going to get broken. Gotta get to work-have a fabulous day everyone! Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Top 'O the World!

Okay then, gotta get me some "rocket fuel!" Wink.... since I have a coffee "attachment" that Expresso Love just might be the ticket! .... Good reading on that site/blog! Thanks Kelly! .....knowing the foibles of my digestive system (more upper GI rebellion) I think I need to experiment w/liquid or soft fuels more..& I'm always needing to remind myself to drink while running...I think I tend to run deficit a little too much ...Lots for all of us to learn as we make our 'journey'....the individual variables make a lot of sense to me...got me to thinking/remembering cadaver labs.....people really are as different on the inside as on the outside...in many ways! Jewels: how's that hip coming?? Congrats on the 3!! Smile Carol: your plan sounds practical! Smile do you carry a glucose monitor during your runs? just in case... Jim: Awesome footage on that link! Sometimes I miss the energy of watching those things! Yah, I know, I'm weird!! I blame my parents Big grin .....I'm going to try to go up every wknd that I don't have a massage event....or maybe afterwards....just sleeping up there overnight really helped! & by the 2nd morning I didn't have any trouble at all.....I'm trying to bank some aerobic benefit before Georgetown half....I don't wanna do that again Roll eyes Leslie: Lots of "educational information" in your RR! Wink I'd post that to your journal for a re-read later!! Ref dirt roads....as much as I prefer just leaving my front door, sometimes I drive 10-15 mins or so to find a suitable trail....depending on what I'm looking for that day.... 0500 65*F/39% H. clear/calm....Mairead & I met up w/Sarah & Ryan (TNT folks - kin I call em kids as they're both under 30? Big grin) & I don't know why, but we headed South to "THE HILL!!" 110 mins & 9.44 rolling hilly miles (+ the big hill!) later....they both headed off to shower & go to work....I wonder if they'll ever do that again?!?! Tongue C
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Mornin'! Cindy - Yep, the RR will get posted to my journal, it just takes me awhile if I want to add pics. I know there's an easier way than how I do it, but darned if I can figure it out. Kelly - 20 miles two days apart . . . I wanna be you when I grow up! Farmer Jim - Great pics on the web site. I got tired just reading your post and all you have to do these days. Jewels - How's school going? Rest/recovery day today. Was nice to get to sleep in. Could've slept a lot longer if it wasn't for the danged alarm clock. Oh well! As of yesterday, over 861,000 acres have been in California. Shocked

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hol-eeee-crap is right! That's just crazy. Hope they get those wildfires under control soon. That is alot of land that has burned. My mom's arm is healing nicely, my groin is healing nicely and yes, I've officially retired from the rodeo circuit! After tonights class and tomorrow mornings class, I only have two weeks of school left. Can't wait! I'll have a two week break and then I'll be taking Fall classes. But....I am not taking any 8 a.m. classes. Those have been 4 days a week and they are tiring and getting in the way of my running. I'm going to get a new pair of shoes in the next couple of weeks and get back on track. Heading to class....... Sleepy Jewels
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                        If you want to know why we crazy ultra runners do what we do, check out the photogs at this link: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Trails/Forum/f1d458453fcd4e24b47ec31679fd168d There are some absolutely stunning places in this country.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey cool Leslie! I even recognize some of those Wink been there!! Quandry Peak is VERY near my mtn house! Yes & I will be in the vicinity (again) of the Leadville trail when I work the TransRockiesRun end of August...

jfa

Hey Kids- Nice pics Leslie . Wow! I need to move out west! Jim- Awesome tornado pics ! Hate to get caught while out running and have that monster bearing down! Good to get home yesterday and rested up from my trip. Slow 6 miles this morning with Buddy boy.Uneventful except for the fact that I passed the 1,000 mile mark for the year.

Uneventful except for the fact that I passed the 1,000 mile mark for the year.
                              Congratulations!!!! Woot Woot! Cindy - Take pics at the TRR! Thank goodness this is a recovery week. Lousy night of sleep. Couldn't pull it together enough to get up and work out. I think I finally got to sleep real good around 1:00 a.m. When the alarm went off at 4:00, I voiced a few curse words, turned it off, and crawled deeper under the covers. Big grin The rest of the day is bound to go better, right? Later!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey Kewl Joe!!! & just past midway....are you going for 2,000?? isn't there some kind of award for that level of masochism? Big grin when's your next race? Leslie, ref pics ~ I plan to! Wink.....sleepin' in's good too sometimes! Boot Camp this am..light cals, stretching AND ..track speed drills!! Shocked after doing the same last night w/TNT group ....after doing 9.44 including the big hill yesterday am....I'm thinking (just as soon as I get my house tidied up & the treatment room reset for this afternoon's clients) that I outta take a rest day.... Blush....I've had two coaches caution me on overtraining....(just shy of 40 this week?)...course they gotta know that this has been an unusually busy weird week...well, maybe not Roll eyes but I do feel like I'm "powering up" into it....if that makes any sense?