Masters Running

40s On the Run - nO KaTcHy TiTlE for Wk EnDiNg 07/19/08 (Read 408 times)

flatland mountaineer

Congrats on 1000 Joe and its only July!!! insert hifive emoticon here Smile Leslie you have earned some down time for sure, love the trail pics. I am craving a mtn trail getaway myself. Cindy congrats on the ramp up and the near 40 week. I traded off my wednesday run for an extra 45 minutes of sleep, just wasn't getting everything I needed to do, done and still be sharp enough to function properly in the day. We got done with our dryland wheat this morning after bouncing out of an irrigated wheat field that wasn't quite ripe yet, then spent the rest of the day doing more extensive irrigation checks, watching markets and catching up. We have a day of wheat harvest left when it finally gets ready in a day or two.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I traded off my wednesday run for an extra 45 minutes of sleep, just wasn't getting everything I needed to do, done and still be sharp enough to function properly in the day.
      You're such a slouch! Big grin

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Awww....looks as though everyone is doing great with their runs. Way to go everyone! Got an easy 3.2 in this a.m. Hope to get in a 4 or 5er tomorrow and slowly start creeping back up. I posted over in another thread this morning as I see there is a gal over there that sounds like she has the exact injury that I had or have. Hopefully I'll get a reply back from her as I had a couple of questions for her. You guys and gals have a super day! TGIF......Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

You're such a slouch! Big grin
          Aren't I though Wink Ok Fiiiiiine, got in 4.1 huuuumid miles this morn in cool overcast light mist conditions. Just ran easy picked it up for short bit at the end to see if I could still run under 10 mm. I could Smile. Hopefully we will get to cut tommorow, want to get finished up. Everything is sure dragging out this summer. Jewels good to see you back out there.I know its tough sitting on the sidelines but be careful ramping back up, ok.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

TGIF Everyone!.... Rest day for me! DH gave me that "pointed look" & declared "remember, no running for you today sweetie!" Roll eyes okay, okay....guess I need some beach therapy Wink we're still working w/Mairead's aversion to water.....funny, she Looks like she's got water dog (Lab) in her!?!? Weatherman says that it's going to be 100* F around here on Sunday....long run day....so DH & I have determined (since DS & GD) will be down here @ the Six Flags/Elitch Gardens, that (barring any other complications) WE should go stay up there & attempt our LSD run up there! Wink maybe followed by a Boreas Pass drive (I'll take the camera!) & ice cream in Breck! Big grin (Course Doug will probably have beer!) One of the neat things about the mtn towns is that they let you take your dog just about everywhere w/you! Smile R2: Almost there! then you guys need to pop up for some mtn air!! (psst, it's cooler up here! Wink) Jewels: yah, Holly usually is around the daily fairly frequently....I know she's been checking w/different resourses on her injury...good luck w/that. & "easing back in..." Leslie: When is your next one?? Rest WELL now!! Carol: How's it going? finding cooler times to be out? Joe: Mairead says "Woof" to Buddy Wink (she got to run w/Doug this am...) Wonder How Arla's trip is going??
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              WE should go stay up there & attempt our LSD run
              Exqueeze me?!?!? LSD Run??? Sounds veeeeery interesting indeed! Farmer Jim - I don't envy you, or any others, who have to run in humidity. The little bit we get here is enough to do me in sometimes, and it doesn't begin to compare with you, Jewels, and Joe have to contend with. Jewels - I echo Farmer Jim. Take it easy getting back into the swing of things. We don't wantcha on the sidelines anymore. Joe - 24-hour computer jobs?? Are 16 of those hours time and a half?? Big grin 6 mile progression run. Went really well. 4 miles at regular/easy pace, then pick it up for the last 2 miles. Finished in 1:00:59. Had my "dead leg" problem again this morning when I tried to get out of bed. Swung myself over the side, went to stand up, and my left leg just gave away completely. Wouldn't hold any weight at all. Sort of the same effect when it's asleep, but it wasn't. It was like if you went to stand on your leg and found out it was missing. Nothing but space. This happened once before a few months ago, and all I can figure is I must sleep wrong and pinch a nerve. It took it a few minutes to come back. Good thing I was right by the bed or I would've fallen flat on the floor. Weird . . . Confused Cindy - You asked what's next? This is my current schedule: 08/09-08/10 - Crew for Kate at Headlands 100, Marine Headlands near San Francisco 09/21 - Whiskeytown 19-Mile Relay (me, Karen, our coach, and Karen's friend. I'm running the 2nd leg), Whiskeytown/Redding, CA 10/10 - Bizz Johnson Marathon (rails to trails), Susanville, CA 10/25 - Whiskeytown 50k (or 30k), Susanville, CA Don't have anything planned beyond October, although I'd like to find something for November, take December off (limited running, extended cross training), then start back into the swing of things the first of the year. I want to go back to Forest Park and am determined to tackle SOB again. Gotta keep something new on the horizon to keep myself motivated. Big grin

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Howdy folkses...as usual, I'm having trouble keeping up with you guys...both virtually and on the roadSmile. Way to go Joe on the 1000 miles! Farmer Jim, I loved your understated way of presenting the tornado, just a little one, eh? No such thing as a "little" tornado Shocked! Cindy, way to go on the mileage and boot camp...must have some good endorphins goin' to feel like you are powering through all that Smile. Cindy, I'm drooling over your trips up the mountains....sounds glorious! Jewels, I'm joining you in easing back in...you're not alone. Glad school is going well for you. DH starts in Sept and is pretty pumped about it. So far, my more structured training program is going well. It's 1st 3 weeks of a 10K program, and then it should dovetail nicely into week 2 of a half training program after that. Doing my cross training and weights at the gym to stay cool, but most runs outside in the early AM. My "long" run is only 3 miles this week...LOL. Temps are hitting 100 daily here now and not much cool down overnight so we are definitely into the "dog days" of summer. Don't know where that saying came from 'cause the dogs sure don't like it. Oh, and yes, I take my glucose meter along on any runs over about 3 miles and always carry fast acting carb sources with me regardless of distance. For short runs where I don't wear my amphipod belt, a tube of glucose tabs fits nicely between...well...the girls...if you know what I mean Blush Getting the blood sugar/insulin/carb equation figured out to the extent possible is definitely a huge part of the training for me, so it's good to have 16 weeks to flesh it out. I'm glad I at least have had the experience of getting up to 11 mi. long runs last year, and that should help this time. OK, gotta go back to work...happy weekend runs and rests to all!
                  Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Source: Columbia Encyclopedia -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dog Days is the name for the most sultry period of summer, from about July 3 to Aug. 11. Named in early times by observers in countries bordering the Mediterranean, the period was reckoned as extending from 20 days before to 20 days after the conjunction of Sirius (the dog star) and the sun. In the latitude of the Mediterranean region this period coincided with hot days that were plagued with disease and discomfort. The time of conjunction varies with difference in latitude, and because of the precession of the equinoxes it changes gradually over long periods in all latitudes. **************************************************************************************** Long Slow Distance From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Long slow distance (often called LSD) is a phrase commonly used to describe both a training method for running or cycling, and a way of running for non-competitive runners, particularly those preparing to finish their first marathon. [edit] A training method Long slow distance running was promoted as a training method by Joe Henderson in 1969.[1] Henderson saw his approach as providing an alternative to the dominant school of training for distance running which he called “PTA school of running-- the pain, torture, and agony” approach................ **************************************************************************************** Anybody wanna play trivial pursuit? Big grin
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      I think my thoughts of what an LSD run is are infinitely more interesting. Big grin

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Big grin Tongue Evil grin Yes

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Not that I ever got into training that much but I remember wondering why they would recommend that.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ps - I hope it's not just me but your catcy title is actually funnier than what Phil did.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

ps - I hope it's not just me but your catcy title is actually funnier than what Phil did.
                                I went back and read what I wrote and started giggling. Good thing I finished the sentence! PS - You never understood why they recommended Cindy's LSD or my LSD?? Big grin Walked with my friend for an hour last night at Relay for Life. First time I've participated in any manner. It was pretty special, and we were out there during the lighting ceremony. But after an hour and a half of walking around the track, boy howdy did my knee hurt when we were done! It had been bothering me all day, but for some reason, the walking really irritated it. Don't know if it was my stride, or what. So I'm taking today off and am going to try and be nice to it (although I have a bunch of yard work to do). It's weird, though. This is the first Saturday in months that I haven't run. I feel guilty and have had stupid conversations with myself for over an hour about why I'm not running today. I know - stupid! Really stupid. But I can't help it! Okay - Gonna go get some breakfast, then it's transcription time. Have a great weekend, friends!!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance