Masters Running

Sunday, 3/31/2019; good-bye to March (Read 44 times)

bioguy

5 easy miles- sunny and breezy out.

I was asked by a young lady in my physics class to attend her church as she was going to deliver the sermon. My wife and I stopped attending our church years ago; I taught Sunday school and was on the vestry. Our children were all acolytes. Anyway, this was not a church denomination of the sort I had ever attended and it was very a different service  from what I was familiar with. My student did an excellent job when it was her turn and she was definitely pleased to see several of her teachers in attendance.

Tailwinds

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, comeback runs and run/walks and half marathons....must be the weekend!  Watching Auburn lose to Kentucky which …. I'm pretty used to.  Prior to that 6.25 miles in 53:25, sort of chilly with a bit of wind.  Nothing like most of y'all deal with but after the last two weeks or so...

Heading west (Denver) early tomorrow.  Couldn't get a flight out of Montgomery so I have to drive to Atlanta which means an early start (like earlier than Jay o'clock).

Have a greta day everyone!

Anzlo

Did 5 miles of run/walk (20secrun/45secwalk) this morning at sunrise with temps in high 30's. It's a start Smile.

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

bioguy-  How great that you went to hear your student preach.  I know it was much appreciated.

Falcon-  All of Vanderbilt is pulling for Auburn.

5.5 treadmill miles back on my own treadmill, which is definitely harder than the other treadmills I use.  I love my treadmill, but I can't run the same pace at the same HR as on others.  It's a really good treadmill- not sure if all the others are "off" or mine is just......harder.  Watched Kentucky-Auburn and got it done!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyway, if you can tolerate me coming back in, I love the support group here. Here's wishing you a greta week Smile

Welcome back!

Joe - nice HM, and I'm glad your ankle was not an issue.

Paul - nice HM for you, too - 3rd AG - sweet!

KSA - $42/day for parking - yikes!

Aged beef....okay, I can't quite get my head around letting meat rot so it will taste better....

Mid-20's and very windy here this morning as well.  I just didn't have my heart in it - I am so over this winter crap.  And the bitter wind was the kicker. Anyway, I ran 4 miles and called it quits. My foot is still iffy and that was a good enough excuse.

Re my foot, it doesn't hurt exactly, but almost feels like it is sort of clenching up on the top of my foot as I run.  Hard to describe, but I don't want another tendon strain when we are on the brink of nice running weather.

Anyway, I went to the Y this afternoon and swam for a while to make up for the short run. 50 times across the pool (1250 yards) with a 3-6 second rest at each side.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Hello masters!

Joe- nice race yesterday and thanks for recap.

I say good riddance to March! This morning it was sunny but 23 🙄 And I waited a bit to run, but was still chilly and windy. 5.3 miles today and 152 for the month (highest since last October). Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Anne

Mike E

MM #5615

Feel better, now, Falcon?

12.6 @ 8:56

According to the charts, tables and online experts, my long runs are supposed to be between 9:00-12:00 pace. I just have a hard time doing it. It took several walks to watch birds and stuff to get it down close to 9:00.

And yes; good riddance, March! Looking forward to some dry warm weather!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Joe618

WAR EAGLE!!!!

What a comeback, hooray for Auburn!

And, Falcon, but for one tipped rebound last night, our two alma maters would be meeting up next Saturday in Minneapolis....a rematch of an over-matched football bowl game last December. 

Congratulations to Auburn!!    Bo Jackson is out there happy, as well!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

Roch, yes, I picked up that results receipt at a tent about 6 minutes after I crossed the finish line.   Nice to have that quickly.

Henrun, thanks, yes, I feel ready for Boston.   DS#3 called me today and asked "So do you feel ready?"  I told him I do and mainly hope I don't mess anything up in the next two weeks.   In an interesting coincidence in the HM I ran yesterday, I fell in for about 3 miles with a guy who is also running in Boston AND we realized we were starting in the same wave/corral!   He and three buddies from the Michigan Upper Peninsula had driven to the "balmy south" in Indy yesterday to run their last tune up on dry pavement...he marveled that we had no snow showing here.   I'll see all four of them at the starting line in two weeks.   And thanks to all of you for your kind words about the race yesterday.

Paul, nice HM today!!   And a podium AG finish!  That has to be encouraging for you!

Bioguy, really nice of you to affirm your student and listen to her sermon!  Even if out of your comfort zone...that's a gift to her. 

Bill, you are such a speed merchant...thanks for working hard to slow to a 9 minute pace!!!!

I got in 12 miles this afternoon at modest pace (see note above).   Windy and raw-feeling, lots of layers still required.   I just loaded the run into my log here and the last six-months' mileage tells pretty much the story for me:

Have never done 200 miles in any calendar month...only once at 180 in fact.   Encouraged.

Have a good week all.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

I am now a Virginia fan by default; if they win it all, it vindicates the Ducks for the narrow loss last week.

Falconfixer

Feel better, now, Falcon?

Stunned, actually.  Watching on TV, Charles Barkley seemed genuinely moved by this.  His final year at Auburn was my freshman year (he went pro early), on the court he was all business.

Joe, that was an amazing game last night.  I thought Purdue had it (and I think they should have).  They'd have to move that game to Nashville...

RunnerKSA, I suspect pretty much everyone in the SEC besides Kentucky was pulling for Auburn.  With that win I think we went to 4 and 38 against them the last 42 times we've played....

Have a greta night everyone!  I certainly am! 

Bioguy - I'm thinking it took some nerve for your student to ask her teachers to attend, and it's wonderful you all did.

Milktruck -   Holy crap.

30 min of walking plus abbreviated PT in a.m. and p.m.  These new bridge workouts are going to be the death of me.  Oy!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Bill, you are such a speed merchant...thanks for working hard to slow to a 9 minute pace!!!!

I get impatient and run too fast for it to be effective the way it's supposed to be. Often my longer runs are faster pace than my "middle" runs because I want to get them over with. It's an admission of failure to train correctly, not a humble-brag.

wildchild

Carolyn

Joe, congrats on a 200+ mile month!

I ran 20.9 miles today to end the month on a prime number, 173 miles. We're in central Utah at the San Rafael Swell, and I found a great single track trail along the rim of a canyon. Wonderful to escape the snow and run in shorts and tee shirt!   Taper time now - I have a 50k in 2 weeks!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.