Masters Running

Thu Sep 25 Runs and Workouts (Read 791 times)

No workout today yet. Since I did not have the luxury of training with my teammates way downtown for speedworkouts I started a new speed group in my neck of the woods. Tonight is the first session. I am the volunteer coach and so far 22 people have signed up. 11 men and 11 women. The men are all in the 2:52-:3:18 marathon range with the women in the 3:30-:4:30 range. Should be so much fun. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

DickyG

Now that the government has gone into the loan business, I went up to our local office yesterday and asked for a bailout loan...I needed $75 to get some replacement parts for my lawnmower because it bailed on me the other day. When asked for collateral, I told the guy I had the same collateral as AIG...a lot of bad investments, several over-extended sub-prime mortgages, and an overblown golden parachute. The cash should be here this afternoon. Lou:
      However, 95% of the time I do what I'm trying not to think about failing to do.
      Um...you didn't have dinner with Yogi Berra last night, did you? Bill: You really do quality runs in the H&H all the time...I'd be passed out at the side of the road somewhere. Peter: I don't think you live all that far from me and not only do all the stations have plenty of gas, the prices are falling quickly. However, my buddy from Atlanta says they have no gas either and when you can find it, it's about $4. No running for me today...usually don't run on Thursday and besides that, swamped with work. Our company has been hired to help with one of the troubled Wall St. companies...frankly, I don't want any part of it...I'd rather play golf. DickyG
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Janet, good job on improving your pace! As a fellow slow runner, I can appreciate how good that feels. I'm actually feeling stronger than I have since May, so I'm thinking about throwing a few strides in every week or so. Today Martha and I ran 5.2 miles in 56:34. Her hip was bothering her, or I probably would have gone farther. Perfect conditions again - 46 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, and the foliage is turning. Tomorrow I'll run on my own and try to increase the distance and decrease the pace a little. My new Pearl Izumis that I got free online felt good! It takes a couple of runs to know for sure, but so far, so good. They are seamless, which is good for me since I get blisters if I blink funny. Carolyn, you're almost at 1000 miles already - good job! At least I'm 40 miles ahead of the 1000-mile pace bunny now, so I should make it this year. Have a wonderful day!
          3 miles easy with T,he had to cut it short so he could drive his son to choir practice...didn't feel any discomfort in my hips at all,but we'll see what tomorrow brings... Tim-That's a super fast TT,yikes...better start near the front of the pack or you'll run over people... Bill-Another great run in the H&H...you could probably cut 30 seconds off or more per mile if you were running in the PNW...
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
            Holly, The other day you almost passed out after a race and had to sit down and today you had an optical snowstorm. I'll suggest again to check your Iron levels. Maybe have some chicken livers tonight? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Coincidentally, that sentence is on a motivational poster on my wall.
              That's funny. I thought of it myself. Really. I didn't even have to call Yogi. (Of course I thought of "Will Run For Beer" myself, too, and look what One More Mile has done with it.)
              All these fast early morning types that I can't begin to run like. It used to be just Lou I had to worry about.
              Bill - please remember that it was about 55°F when I did my run. Hugh difference compared to what you run in.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Holly---I was going say what Bill said----iron levels, hydration, rest, blood sugar? I know you are being careful and all that, but I still worry about you my tough and determined friend. Bill---nice workout and it seems to me like you are hitting the speed parts well. Keep at it and then look back at the trend line. I drove all over Charlotte the other day trying to fill up my rental car before my flight home. I finally found a pump close enough to the airport to keep the level on full. Not fun. Ribs--the next two days of running will be lighter for me. No worries. I may not be a podium finisher any time soon, but I hope to be close. Wink Karin

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm finally getting more comfortable running at a faster speed and maintaining it. Mind you, my fast speed isn't on the slow-speed radar for most folks! It's a small accomplishment, but it makes me feel better about my progress.
                  What a great feeling, isn’t it? Tramps – you’re so low-key about it, but you really are pretty darn fast. Bill and Karin - I dunno. I take a good multivitamin and supplements, but I'll check the label for iron amounts. I think Saturday was mostly about dehydration and heat. Enke – I took DD to Walmart last night and she picked out her first “scary” Halloween costume: sort of a gothic ghost – a white floor-length tunic, white cape, white gloves, and a wispy white wig of sorts, which over her own hair will give her an “Elvira” look (all for $16). I have promised to make up her face with dark lipstick and shadows around her eyes. Took me a lonnnggg time to convince her that a sword didn’t go with the outfit. ...okay, I admit it, we'll probably go back for the sword at some point..... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne

Gosh - I miss those days of picking out Halloween costumes. You're right on, Holly. My boys used to come up with very clever ways to incorporate a sword or gun into whatever costume they were wearing that year. I thought that was a guy thing! Your DD must have a little tomboy in her. At least she's not asking for French maid costumes with fishnet stockings! Wink

Marathon Maniac #957

At least she's not asking for French maid costumes with fishnet stockings! Wink
                      Yet. Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

At least she's not asking for French maid costumes with fishnet stockings! Wink
                        Holly I can donate mine! Big grin (from a dance recital - so get your minds outta the gutter) Roll eyes

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

In a few minutes, we'll head out the door to leave for the weekend and our son's wedding. My wife has been acting anxious about leaving while I catch up on RA. I don't know if there will be much chance to run but brother Dave and I hope to at least get in a short run. Nice long runs for CNY, bike (and missed the bus), and Peter. Good job on the speedwork for walt and Holly. Even though it's not a normal running day, I got out for a short run in anticipation of not being able to do much this weekend. It was in the mid 50s and almost calm. I did 4 miles in about 38:30 for a 9:39 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                          dg.

good morning! Nice, Lou! Tim, that's funny. & you were zippy on those tired legs. Smile Bill, I'd consider it speed, but consider the source. i'm glad you said that about padding the start of the F.I.R.S.T. plan. I'm not training for any race, and sometimes wonder what to do with myself. I've looked at plans, thinking, maybe if I do one by the time i'm done I"ll want to race something. But they all start out too much below or above the level I'm at right now. Bob, I think she means it! Big grin Denise, so cool about the baby. I'm so sorry you're having all this trouble again. You were doing so well. Hey. I probably missed some kind of discussion on this. But when did you change your avatar? I keep reading your posts & being confused. Handymom, it's good to hear from you. I was just wondering about you. Glad you're making progress. Feel good about your accplishments & don't worry about comparisons! I drop my jaw regularly at the posts here too. I had such a carpy workout today. Better than none at all! It was just very hard, & everything seemed out of alignment. I'm going to blame it on not much sleep & this stubborn bug. 4.16 miles, 9.33 average pace, 7.52 max. My Polar is acting up again, the first mile it said ahr was 85. no way is that right. 2 sets on the weight machines, stability ball --usual stuff. I should know this. but could pushing Sunday & Tuesday have effected today,even with yesterday off? thanks so much everybody for all your nice words & thoughts for my kitty. Aamos, he was young in the picture, not so much now. you're right about the personality. He was named for the peasant in MP's search for the Holy Grail. very fitting Smile but he's also very sweet. He's doing well. Tammy, how was your track workout? back to work, I hope I can get caught up a little later. nice runs & all ya'll.
                            wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, great runs already for Mr. Beer, Darth Karin, Way-pre-dawn Mary, developmentally-delayed Tim, dancing Jlynne, F.I.R.S.T. Bill, gassy Peter, Handy Janet, Magical Steve and Tory, troublemaker Tramps, Holly in a snowstorm, Teresa in new (free!) shoes, and father-of-the groom Tselbs!
                              For 2 months I have had to listen to Tim telling me how easy his workouts have been, how good his legs feel and how he wanted to run more miles, or how he could have gone faster. Now it's sharpening time and from now until the weekend of October 18-19 I will make him run until he pukes. The reason he did a hard two-mile TT last night is because he needs some VO2 max work right now. He hasn't raced at all during this build-up and we need to see what VO2 max actually is. A two-mile time trial all-out is your present VO2 max speed. Now we know that for Tim it's 6:18. He will be seeing this number a lot and it's going to improve dramatically over the next 3-4 weeks.
                              Question for you, Spareribs: Tim's run was done at 86 degrees, so he could probably run even better at more moderate temperatures. How do you factor this in to the target times you give him? I would think his times would improve dramatically over the next 3-4 weeks just because it's getting cooler, so how much do you attribute to training and how much to weather? I "ran" the final race in the trail series last night. I put it in quotes because it was more walking than running. I think I was 3rd from last. It was only 1.1 miles, climbing 800 ft, and my time was about 17:03. Nice evening, and I had fun talking to the other runners from this series, including my insurance agent, who was there again. And I passed the 1000 mile mark for the year on the way back down! Here are some race pictures. Starting up the jeep road: Halfway up: A hazy picture from the summit looking east to downtown Denver: And a hazy picture looking west from the summit:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Henrun

Good runs for everyone now that it's getting cooler. Marj and I did our long ones yesterday as we get closer to the next half. She did 13 and I did 11.5-both faster than our usual training runs. I did a 'fast' 5.5 this morning. Rain coming in for the weekend, so I'm glad I got most of my weekly miles in.