Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 9.8.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    Tramps (clip pedal experiment ride)
    RunnerKSA (3.1 morning miles in 48°Wink
    Rochrunner (6 cool morning miles with hillage)
    Twocat (13 miles, with pictures)

Mike (7.1 miles, not backing off enough)

Holly (6 miles in 58°Wink

Catwhoorg (6 lunchtime miles in cooler weather)

Tammy (2 post-rain, afternoon trail miles with B&B)

Evanflein (8.4 antsy evening miles)

I’m glad you are doing well with the clips, Tramps. Nice photo from last week’s morning ride. I hope things went well at PT.

Nice cool weather KSA, and Cat too.

Welcome back HopesMom. I wish I could sing, but even I won’t listen to me sing in the shower. So I’m jealous. Dusty sounds like a joyful handful.

Nice run with the hill, Rochrunner.

Tough times for any athletics there Tammy. I'm glad you got enough relief to get outside for a run. I hope you get some relief too, Tet.

Hi Enke! I’ve been wondering about you! Congrats on doing some great biking, on the new job with the old company, and on continuing to enjoy the company of Mr. Blue Eyes.

Great job on the 13 miler, Twocat, and good view of it (with photos) on Relive.

Be smart, Mike!

I hope you have a good time with your MIL, Holly.

Agreed, Evanflein - it was good of your boss to express her concern about your workload, even if she can't do all that much about it. And I'm glad you got a good run in last night.

I spent time yesterday working on every project/program I have going, and was dizzy by the time the day was done. Then I went home and did some weeding and was done in by my hay fever which is worse this year than it has been in quite a few years. Oy. I also slept incredibly poorly last night, and so opted to stay in this morning to try to get a few extra zzz's (and I did get just a few) instead of heading out for a workout, even though I would have liked to get in a good workout, but more sleep was more important at the time.

Have a greta Friday, and I'm wishing fleet feet and fun times to everyone racing this weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

2.3 streak miles this morning.

We saw the Boston Marathon documentary last night at a screening set up by our local running club.  They had to sell so many pre-ordered tickets in order to do this at the local theater.  Boy, have they upgraded movie theaters!  All the seats were big recliners.   There were about 70 of us there, including a local friend who was injured at the finish line in 2013 by the bombing.  He was a spectator waiting for his girlfriend.  He has permanent hearing loss with constant ringing in his ears.  He is a prominent attorney here.    The movie was just incredible and very emotional.  Spoiler alert-  Meb won in 2014.    If anyone gets a chance to see this, don't miss it.  It's a history of the Boston Marathon with a lot of the old timers who I knew or knew of growing up as a runner, and then covers the bombing and, mainly, the 2014 race to "take back" the event after the horror of 2013.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.  Hope today's a little calmer for you.

Welcome back HopesMom.

Enke!  Good to hear from you.  Sounds like good news with both the job and Blue Eyes. ;o)  While you were away I took up cycling, so I know that mileage is impressive. Nice!

Mike--good move on pulling back a bit.

KSA--yeah, I've heard nice things about it. I think I always disappoint people when they find out I ran it in 2013...and then tell them I was driving back to my hotel by the time the bombs went off. I have no story whatsoever.  Thankfully.

Our coyotes were raising a ruckus last night.  Loud enough to wake us up a couple of times. I don't know if they got a deer and were feasting or fighting or what.  Then when I went out this morning, they all started up again. I never saw them but they clearly were in the woods just behind our house.  It's pretty wild sounding.  Imagine a dozen dogs in a small space fighting.

20 uneventful miles with the new pedals.  School started this week and it's cute to see all the kids out waiting for the bus on my ride.  I'm sure the old guy on a bike is entertaining for them.  I'll probably end up on social media soon, if I haven't been there yet.

PT was interesting yesterday. On the plus side, we have a tentative plan that would get me back to some minimal running by the end of the year. On the down side, I now own a Bosu.  Yesterday morning I didn't even know what a Bosu was.  Who am I anymore?

ETA: Upon hearing of my knee woes, a friend of mine just sent me this.

Hmmmm.....

Be safe. Be kind.

...mornin' guys.....

knocked out

45-min x-bike riding

and

40-min PoolRunning with letters

yesterday

========================

Off Topic-

since

I'm getting ready for hip-surgery this Spring

coupled with my fathers' dementia in his mid-70s

I saw a show on ''Advanced Care Planning''............a euphemism worthy of George Orwell

but

good to  let people know what to do if you can't tell them

so

I pass this along (although some of it seems to be in Chinese)

http://www.advancecareplanning.org.nz/

just file it under the ''For What It's Worth'' Department

Off Topic Over-

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hi, All -

I'm alive!  Butt still hurts, can't run, drowning at work, but I'm alive!! 

Tramps - I have  BOSU at home and use it all the time.  You can do stability stuff on either side.  And my regular PT guy has one those thing-a-ma-jigger bikes, only his is the more expensive brand (can't think of it off the top of my head).  He's used one ever since he tore up his knee and had to stop running.  He keeps telling me I need get one.  I keep telling him he needs to give me $2,000 so I can.

Okay - back at it.

Have a FABULOUS weekend ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

And my regular PT guy has one those thing-a-ma-jigger bikes, only his is the more expensive brand (can't think of it off the top of my head).  He's used one ever since he tore up his knee and had to stop running.  He keeps telling me I need get one.

Those things are real?!  I thought it was a DIY joke kind of thing. LOL

And, yeah, I'm all about work on stability right now.

Be safe. Be kind.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hallo, Masters!!  I had a lovely chorus rehearsal tonight, lots of good sounds, ringing chords, and fun times.  Tonight is my quartet rehearsal, which will hopefully be more of the same, woo-hoo!!

Jay -- I'm always in awe of how much stuff you get done!

KSA -- that documentary sounds really cool, will keep an eye out for it on Netflix or Prime.  We go to actual movies maybe once a year or so ...

Tramps -- don't think I haven't looked at those StreetStriders!!  Unfortunately they're a little spendy for my taste.  What's a bosu?

tom -- your persistence in pool running is completely inspiring!

fatozzig -- hope all the pains go away, work settles down, and yahoo for life!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

catwhoorg

Labrat

3 super easy just to turn the legs over before tomorrows race

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

...Welcome Aboard HopesMom//..........believe me, you can post here and NOT run, but do a few yards for those of us that can't.......

.....Hiya enke//..........so glad to hear things are going well for you.........run 10-yards and post some more

============

coolish  (which, around here, means 70's)

......35-min RC at Y Soccer Fields

.........good Running to ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

The big brand for the moving elliptical trainiers is Elliptigo, right?  Meb was a spokesperson.  I know several injured runners who bought them.  I felt like they would be best on long, flat stretches or smooth bike paths.  Not so much on the neighborhood hills.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

1300 meter swim yesterday and a 10K run today. Wish me luck as I start increasing my mileage over September.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Agreed, Evanflein - it was good of your boss to express her concern about your workload, even if she can't do all that much about it. 

+1

Twocat - how are you feeling?  Any less pain?

My area of practice (elder law) has now surpassed the last 6 years for annual revenue and it is only September. When I pointed that out at the team meeting this week, my boss took all credit for it, saying "This is what happens when I focus in on bringing in elder law cases."  When I spoke up to say that some of this was also due to my work (heck, he meets with them once and then I spend months working intensively on the cases by myself), he said, "Well, you collect the checks."  Har har.  I was so steamed by that comment that I texted him later that evening to say, "So all I'm doing is collecting checks?  That sort of takes "underappreciated employee" to a new level."  He responded quickly to say that he was just teasing, knew how hard I worked, etc.  My office manager told me the next day that the boss had texted him about it, that he was a little worried.  Ha.

Tomorrow we are going, with MIL and also DD's GF's family, to the Ohio Renaissance Festival which is really a pretty cool event, with nearly 100 shows daily on 14 stages, arts, crafts, games, food, demonstrations, etc.

No run for me today, swimming instead - 50 times across the pool (1250 yards).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good on you, Holly. Never hurts to keep him thinking.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Holly, I'm thinking a good friend of mine from HS is in that particular Renaissance Festival. I know he was just in Pittsburgh recently. He was an actor in HS and now is Wilsome in the Renaissance Festival. He does the fire breathing stuff. Real name Dan Hasselius - not sure if the programs or whatever they give you are different shows tell you the actors real names or not.

Tammy

Holly S. nice of you to ask. I suppose the pain diminishes a bit each day. Alas, I still cannot eat anything that is not effectively pureed. Although I did manage some ice-cream with my DW so all is not lost! Regarding your work, you really should see what you can get on the open market. I suspect that if you do some job hunting you will end up somewhere new with a big raise.

Today was a no running day for me. Just an hour on the elliptical. Tomorrow, if I am up to it, I hope to run 18. DW is worried about my ability to eat enough calories if I do that. I think it will be okay, my weight has stabilized as of late.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/