Masters Running

Saturdaily, 11.23.19 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

There was a lot going on here yesterday, with workouts (including Henrun's), and discussions of times of the day for workouts and baking and holidaying, and a DH (hopefully) going home from the hospital today, and about lots of stairs...

Holly, maybe you want try this Apple Bourbon Bundt Cake with your new bundt pan.

Great!  I guess I'll be staying at your house for a week in December.  You don't mind brushing out my hair every morning, do you?  

Holly, I brush our cat's coat in the evenings, so I guess that would leave me time for your hair in the morning - maybe before my workouts?

I went back to where I got my orthotics a year ago for an eval. Everything is good, but one question she couldn't answer was why, when my laces come loose during a workout, it is almost always on my right shoe. I lace and tie both of them the same, so what gives? One of life's little mysteries...

I went for 9.85 RW miles in 32° temps and a SW breeze this morning (with my right shoe double-knotted). From start to finish, my avg. cadence increased from 159 to 174 SPM, and my stride length increased from .79M to .85M. Needless to say, my later miles were a lot faster than the early ones.

Today I have conservation commission site walks, and then DW and I are going to an indoor farmer's market, and to an Aldi's to see what they are all about. We're going out to dinner tonight with the folks who run the local dive where DW and I have our 'breakfast meetings.' Should be a good day. Where does my nap fit in?

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Joe618

Thanks for the start, Jay.   Trying to imagine your new career as a hair brusher, though, and it's not quite coming into focus.

That cadence progression is solid.   Very nice. I'm learning to pay more attention to cadence.   Thanks for the lesson. 

Dunkin'....good play, doggie, good play.

Letting morning rains pass through, putting my Miata up for the winter, then will run this afternoon. 

Rock your Saturday all!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Good morning guys. Thanks for the start Jay. And the recipe. I might have to try that this weekend! The Aldi stores around here are pretty bare bones. One thing I noticed is that their "brand" products look very similar to the products they don't carry. For example, a box of frosted flakes has the same coloring as Kellogg's, enough to make you do a double take. They have a really nice produce section. Report back with your findings!

I used to have a Miata Joe. Then, we had kids. It was hard to fit a car seat in one of those suckers!

Good luck to Karen and all of the other racers today and tomorrow!

I'm glad your DH is doing better Carolyn. Hoping he comes home today and gets some good home care and rest.

Holly, I think this is a good time of the year to have that surgery. Golf season is over, no marathons or other races on your plate, and as long as you've already met your deductible, it's a win-win. Good luck!

My vision is almost back to normal, but my right eye still looks like I got in a bar fight. It's been over a week, so I cleared myself (without checking with the doctor first, of course) to do an hour on the elliptical at an easier clip and 20 minutes of light weights and core stuff. No worse for the wear, so I think I'm ok. I will wait to try running until my follow up appointment on Monday.

Off to sell some fudge and caramels. Have a great Saturday, whatever you're doing!

...if I was in a Bar Fight, I'd want jylnne watching my back......

=======

SOMEBODY messed with my alarm clock

and

I missed my PoolRun

.........will hit the gym a little later....

the Y has

signs up about closing the locker rooms Nov 24-Dec 31st

for remodeling

so

where do the swimmers change out??

Inquiring Minds

Want to Know

unless

it's

Get Nekked in The Lobby Month

again

I always get that and Arbor Day mixed up

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Jeanne-glad your vision is clearing.

30 minute power walk in rolling hills before my haircut. My barber comes to my home. She started making home visits when the hair salon she worked in closed. Very convenient for both of us.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, I think this is a good time of the year to have that surgery. Golf season is over, no marathons or other races on your plate, and as long as you've already met your deductible, it's a win-win. Good luck!

I know, right?  And I probably won't be able to run for 6 weeks, but that will be the 6 weeks from mid-December to the end of January - fine with me!  Hopefully I will be able to do some power walking on the TM at an incline and stationary bike stuff.  I meet with the surgeon again on Tuesday to get more details, and am making my list of questions to ask.  Glad your eye is mostly better.  Is the bubble gone?

Jay - that recipe looks mighty tempting.  And we used to shop at Aldi a lot, when the kids were younger, but now we just don't get as much food with DS gone and DD never home.

I got up early, but decided to wait until it warmed up a bit for my run, so heading out now that it is 38 degrees.  So what did I do with my time?

Image may contain: food

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Steve, here's an interesting article that I hope you can read, entitled "Dogs Can't Help Falling in Love" that talks about how dogs have evolved a unique ability to bond with other species (not just humans). However, this depends somewhat on exposure and contact when in their puppy stage, so maybe Dunkin' missed out on some of this and is why he's been a bit difficult.

anneb, I know exactly who Hurley Haywood is since I think he was involved in some racing teams from this area. We also enjoyed that movie, which was best seen on the big screen. We knew some of the personalities such as "Hank the Deuce" (Henry Ford II) and thought they portrayed him (and other auto execs) fairly accurately.

In general we only see a movie in a theater when it's one that's really best on a big screen with big sound, etc. I've kind of lost my interest in the Star Wars saga over the years as the movies have deteriorated in quality IMO, but may go see the next one just to complete the trilogy of trilogies!

dnaff, I'm on dessert duty for Thursday and am making an apple pie with about a half dozen simple ingredients in a Pillsbury crust. So there! 

Holly, forget about my apple pie. It's only a 4-hour drive from here to Miamisburg...

I decided on tomorrow for my weekend semi-long run, but might go for a longish walk this afternoon if only to confirm that the Paint Creek Trail is free of ice before using it again tomorrow. Also trying to decide on a Turkey Trot for Thursday morning.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TAMSTER!!!

Dunkin!! {{heart flutter}}  He's comin' 'round.

Nice bundt, Holly!  You did a better job of keeping the glaze on the top of the cake than I did.

Wild - Yay on the your DH getting to go home.

JLynne - Glad the eye is doing better.  Do you tell people, "You should see the other guy"?

A few years ago, The Hub trained Mr. Mr., who is long haired, to like being brushed.  Now all you have to do is tap a towel on the counter and he's there in an instant purring his little heart out.

I'm sitting at work listening to the The Hub mow/trim/blow the courtyard outside my window.  He'll be done in half an hour.  Me - I'll be here for a few hours.  I brought my stuff to go to the gym later.

Happy Saturday ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild good news on your DH's soon release from the hospital.

fatozzig how do you train a cat to do anything? 

I ran 5 miles today. Then I spent some time cooking various miscellaneous things. Nothing as fun as that bundt cake by Holly S.. On the other hand, it covered some things I quite like to eat on a regular basis. I slow roasted some tomatoes (actually they are still in the oven), sauteed sweet onions down to a small pile of caramel goodness, made butternut squash hummus and I have some Irish brown bread on tap. Tonight DW and I go to celebration for a friend's daughter's bat mitzvah.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BTY

Happy Saturday, Runners!

No organized exercise for me today. My mom came over at 7:30 sharp for a special pancakes and bacon breakfast to celebrate her 86th birthday. Then she went off to do her usual Saturday afternoon errands, and I started in on the big cleanup. Two of our kids have moved out (for good), one has moved back in,and one still has a year or two left in the nest. Her boyfriend is deploying this winter, and they likely will get married when he returns next year around this time. His cat is coming to stay with us while he’s deployed, So we are in the process of moving DD to the pad in the basement, and clearing the three boys’ stuff from their childhood out of there. This purge is way overdue and invigorating.  Phase 1 was cleaning out the garage and getting my car in there for these cold winter mornings when I drive off to the pool at 5:45.   The hard part as you probably know is keeping it cleared out of their stuff when they come to visit for a day and leave more stuff behind!   It probably won’t end until we move out of here. Someday.

Have a greta weekend Runners!

. . . made butternut squash hummus . . .

Recipe, please!!

The Cat - He's a unique little bugger.  Too smart for his own good, but so EZ going.  Not much phases him.  If we'd put more energy into it, we probably could've trained him to do a lot of things.  Nowadays, he likes to hang out with the deer in the undeveloped area across our road.

BTY - Have fun with the purging!

Mr Mr

Image may contain: 1 person

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday Tammy!

Leslie - that cake is amazing-yummy!  And that is a pretty cat.

So, I got out for a run or really run/walk, got a couple miles from home and felt a few light rain drops. Then I suddenly remembered reading yesterday that today had a 90% chance of rain, starting around noonish.  Hmmmm.  Turned around and got home just as the light drops were becoming more like actual rain.

3.95 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dnaff

Now THAT is a CAT!   So handsome.

Happy Birthday Tammy!

Oh, get nekkid in the lobby month - I love it.  Might join up again at the Y just for that.

I have pie duty for the real Thanksgiving and it will be a frozen crust, though maybe the kind that needs to be unrolled, and good old Libby's pumpkin.   My daughter's pie is excellent but not in proportion to the work or to the number of ingredients.   Wish I could post a picture.  I tried, really, I tried.

My kids and assorted animals have cleared out for the next couple of hours.  Misha and I are going to the trails  (sunny, mid 30's, heavenly) and I still might find time for yoga before Saturday night mass.   I hope you all are soaking up some good Saturday vibes.

...it isn't a pretty sight dnaff......

...Wishing tammy a Happy B'Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENmM94LuoE8

===========

...45-min on ARC Trainer...............I like this better than the Elliptical

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tammy - Happy Birthday.

I guess a lot of us remember

when you were 40, . . . and before.

Jay - great walk-running.

Are you right-handed?

3.5 miles around the Hillside trails and stairs at 38F and under a sliver moon and so much no fog and clear headlamp visibility through the darkness that it seemed the same as getting new glasses.e

Steve - courtesy of MapMyRun, here's the forested Hillside Park route respite from the otherwise fully urbaned island.

305 steps on the right (north) side with 94 across the top

and 110 on the way back plus 33, 57, 7, 40 and 110

on the E-W connections.  I can hardly wait to wake

up in the morning for a daily circuit.  In order to get 1,500 stairs out of the 866

stair steps in the park, I doubled up a lot  on the N-S upper trail this morning

Wish you and Dunkin' could come too.

No photo description available.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)