Masters Running

Thursday, June 18 Master Runs, Rests and Cross Training (Read 456 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, could your neighbor have been tossing firecrackers to scare off a bear or other critter? We do that sometimes.  Hope your sick kitty is ok.

Mari, those weren't monster hills, they were small mountains.  I'd love to run with you too!

Happy 21st to Mary's baby!

Mmmm, Doritos and beer. Sounds like more fun than the planned workout...

Too hot again today to RAL, so I'll do another RAW in the cool mountains.  I really should go home and run with my dogs - it would make them so happy. But I get tired of running in my neighborhood - I've done it sooo many times.  I love to stop on the way home and run on one of the park trails.   I suppose I could go get the dogs and take them with me, but that's extra driving. Hmmmm.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Leslie, could your neighbor have been tossing firecrackers to scare off a bear or other critter? We do that sometimes. 

No. They've been celebrating the 4th for some time now.  It's an interesting household behind us.  Kind of on the cusp as far as being law-abiding citizens goes, unfortunately.

Doritos - I LOVE Doritos. I was on a roll for awhile with the Ranch/Hot Wings flavored ones.   Thought I was gonna have to start a DEA support group - Doritos Eaters Anonymous.   Beer - you can keep that (I know, I know, sacraligious).

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Carolyn, I know the feeling. I get tired of running in my neighborhood too sometimes. I'm also getting a little weary of the bikepath route I usually run at lunch, but it's so convenient and actually a nice packed dirt/gravel trail so it's good for my feet. Oh well. I want to get out on the Equinox trails right after the Seattle marathon...

Happy Birthday to Mary's DD! My youngest turns 15 next month and I'm thinking about enrolling him in the driver's ed school DS1 did a couple years ago. Sure can't argue with the results. And it's part of the parent job description thing to always be worried about them, at least a little.

Nice run for Holly and CNYrunner! I love how you guys make running dates like that. Anyone wanna come to Fairbanks for a business trip? No?

Happy Anniversary (soon) to Sarge for the 30 years! Wow... DH and I will hit 20 years in a week (the 24th) and we're celebrating with a trip to Seattle for a little run....

SteveP that was a really good run for you! I know you were wanting to start getting more distance in your runs. How does Tag handle the extra miles? He sounds like a lot of fun, and good job on him coming back when called. Weren't you the one who picked wild asparagus for your wife during a race one time because you knew how much she liked it?

Doritos and beer... I can see why some would like that, but my downfall is popcorn and white wine, sitting in the sunshine after a long day. That thought pulls me home from some hard runs some evenings! And, sometimes, if I give in soon enough, it saves me from a run entirely!

I ran 8.1 miles last night with some tempo paces in there. Well, what serves as tempo for me now. Miles 2 through 6 were 8:05, 8:17, 8:18, 8:17 and 7:59. That last one is the best because it had uphill parts to it. The others just sort of happened, but also had downhill so sort of a given. I'll run 5 easy at lunch today.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, I'm registered!

Yay!!  Breger’s coming to town!!          

SteveP – during my recent trail ultra, I saw wild strawberries growing on the side of the path at one spot.  I remembered you at your marathon, stopping to pick wild asparagus, but I opted to leave them there.

Sarge – do people every tell you that umpiring is bad for your knees?

{{{Leslie’s kitty}}}

Yesterday DS went kayaking in a pond and then later fishing.  This is such a great experience for him.  2 more days till he comes home….

Doritios and beer vs popcorn and white wine…..hmmmm…how about popcorn and beer?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

sigh.  too many combinations.  have to get busy.  we can schedule our runs around our snackies.  anybody like Chicago Flats? 

My kids are all out of the house, but I saw this today & liked it.   you all do such a great job with your kids, I thought I'd post the link. 

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/11/teaching-much-more-than-mowing-the-lawn/

Carolyn, I know what you mean.     When does your DD get home?

Holly, I'm glad he's having such a good time.   & keeping in touch.  Smile

Nancy, we keep thinking the same things, but I forget & you don't.  I've been wondering about Larry too.

mta.... Leslie I hope your kitty is ok.  

Top 'O the World!

Ahh, but Carolyn, they would sooo love ya for it!

Nice article Deb.  My oldest son will be 30 next week, his daughter will be 10 in another month...it still seems surreal...showing her how to ride a bigger bike (w/gears) up hills this week while I run them slowly...it's a lesson for both of us.

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

CNY, congrats on the 5K trail race with AG award.  dive, nice marathon.  steve, happy anniversary to you and mrssteve.  Nice picture.  hopeful, happy birthday to your daughter.  I understand the concern your husband and you have but it's in the parent's handbook to worry about such things.  holly and CNY, nice run together.

Nice long runs for breger, CNY, perch, and holly.  Good job on the speedwork for SLO, mariposai, nono, sue, and perch.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and almost calm.  I got in 12 miles in about 1:59:30 for a 9:58 pace.  It was a bit hard but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Doritios and beer vs popcorn and white wine…..hmmmm…how about popcorn and beer?

I'd have to go with popcorn, Doritos, and white wine.  Erika - Ever put brewers yeast (flaked, not powder) on your popcorn?  Yum!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Popcorn, Nacho Cheese Doritos and Beer for me!!   Heck, I might skip dinner now ..... Wink

DD has two older sister's looking after her this evening along with 3 designated drivers.   Plus we are going out for a nice meal as a family.   DH worries because she is, well ... she is just like he was at that age!       Thanks for the birthday wishes.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mariposai

Nice long runs for breger, CNY, perch, and holly.  Good job on the speedwork for SLO, mariposai, nono, sue, and perch.

TomS

Yeah, I made Tselbs' list again today....yeepeee

sorry holly, I couldn't help it. I love those little guys and I wanted to use them too Smile

Erika, I would LOVE to run with you in your town. Someday, someday...

Gotta balance the budget said the boss...so balancing we will have to do...and we got three weeks to do it...this will be ugly....man, I should have gone for my run this morning...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Damn Ladies

You keep talking about Dorito's, beer, popcorn and what-not and I'll be blowing aff another run tonight !

By the way....the After Hours Taco flavor Doritos friggin Rock !

By the way....the After Hours Taco flavor Doritos friggin Rock !

When I was a kid and my mom was gone one evening, my dad fed me a peanut butter, grape jelly, and bologna sandwich and I was hooked.  I'd pair that with taco-flavored Doritos, and you couldn't come within 100 feet of me.  Serious bad breath combo.  First time I ate that in front of The Hub, he went into shock.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, you should just tell the hub that bad breath is better than no breath at all!

Mtnchk, you've convinced me to go home and take the dogs for a run!

Deb, DD gets home Sunday evening.  And DH gets home Monday, so we'll be celebrating Father's Day a day late.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

hopeful4ever I know what you mean about that not getting any older.  My DW and I do not have any kids, so I just point this out about me every year on her birthday. 

Sarge how I miss the 40/40 thread . . . sigh.

Holly S. well I hope the boss did not skip town!  I take it today was a good day at the office?  As to Tim I sent him an email a few days ago and have yet to hear back.  I have a terrible suspicion this is not a good sign.

SLO_HAND hey no knocking the core and upper body work!  For some of us that is all she wrote! 

breger1 good luck with getting them on a more reasonable starting pace.  Some groups can be stubborn about this for no apparent reason that I can discern.

nonoruns work out post beer?  I got to meet you some day!

runningsmarter how do you keep track of all those numbers over the run?  To think I thought I was hooked on statistics!

perchcreek from what I hear from my DW your weather still beats that in the NE.  At this point it could stop raining in CT for a year and not lead to a water shortage!

SteveP bad news dude, whatever anniversary the DW says it is, well it is.    I bet you even thought you get an anniversary present too!  Ha!

dg. that is all you have to say about it!  Hey, how big where those hills?  Was the first elevation change up or down?  Do you live on a hill?  Did you ever want to live on hill?  Would you live on one if you could . . .

Spareribs very nice gift.  Having a sober ride is no doubt than what we (or at least I) did at that age.  I am still amazed that many of my friends and I survived to 22!

Mariposai I am worried about Tim too.  As to my DW and her HM training, it seems to be continuing a foot so to speak.  Ahem. . . A big test is coming Saturday when her running partners at the jogging club only go 6 miles and she plans on doing 10+.  We will see if she does.  Have fun with the number crunching.  I know how exciting it can be to balance books, even those going forward!

fatozzig I hope your cat is doing ok.  It is getting close to the Fourth, and kids like to make noise . . . so I am not sure there is any hope of things changing on the fireworks front at odd hours this time of year.  However, it is my guess is that it would not be a good idea to shoot a gun in the general direction of the noise. . . I am just saying you know.    As to that culinary combination . . . blech!   It may even be grounds for locking you up!  Ugh . . . just thinking about it . . . yech . . . need something to drink!  Something strong!  I am never reading this daily again . . .

wildchild ahhh . . . poor doggies . . . given where you live they really have a pretty good life overall!

evanflein heh your anniversary is pretty close to mine.  I hit 27 this Sunday.  The "best" was the uphill part of the run!  You really are tough!

tselbs how come the rest of the country has not been hit with the forty days and nights of rain like the NE?  It is really not fair after the winter we had! 

I am San Diego today for a conference.  Most of my day and night consists of meetings.  All of tomorrow does.  Right now I have some down time between them so I figured rather than get any work done I would see what was going on here!  I did manage to workout in the gym earlier today.  It is a pretty good one and so got in most of my core routine as well as my brief stints on the elliptical as well as my TM walking.  My DW says NYC was under a flood watch today!  I have never seen that before!  The weather for the foreseeable future looks just as bad.  I cannot tell you how nice it is to be out here and actually see the sun for once.  I never thought that in the summer that would be so rare where I live.  Once I return I think the next time I see that glowing ball in the sky will be at my next conference in Crete.  Hey, if you have to travel for work it may as well be someplace nice!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

As to that culinary combination . . . blech!   It may even be grounds for locking you up!  Ugh . . . just thinking about it . . . yech . . . need something to drink!  Something strong!  I am never reading this daily again . . .

I think it was more the culinary combo than the bad breath that send The Hub into shock.  Every once in awhile I eat it just to gross him out.  Ha!   And hey - don't knock it 'til you try it.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance