Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 8.24.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (2.5 slow miles, feeling terrible on the run)

Stumpy ('Round the lake, swampy run)

Tramps (20 swampy bike miles)

Marj (4 swampy miles, making breathing tough)

Dave (4 morning miles with warmth and uncomfortable dew point)

Catwhoorg (5 sluggish lunchtime miles in heat + 16 post-work bike miles)

Holly 4.3 morning miles in nice 59°Wink

Mike (9.3 miles, including 7 at tempo with hillage - not good)

Evanflein (5.2 relatively flat recovery miles)

Spacityrunner (2.1 sunset miles 'round the workplace in a nice cool front)

Fatozzig (2 mile test run)

Tammy (4.2 nighttime TM miles)

StarrRuns (7 bike miles in IRC)

I know the swampy weather is moving out, or has moved out for some - I hope it does for everyone.

Marj, if I have a pocket, I'll just about always stop to pick up anything more than a penny. But if I have on pocket-free shorts, I'll likely keep going.

How'd skeet shooting go, Tomwhite?

Bummer about the burned out feeling, Dave. I hope you got that one thing done yesterday.

Sorry about the ongoing smoke issues, Tammy, but it is good that the Y is opening up for you and others.

I hope you get over whatever you caught from your kids, Cat.

Holly (and Fatozzig, and Mariposai), I think we all have days that get hijacked, and it sure is frustrating. I'm glad you are enjoying the new/old story, Holly.

Fatozzig, I also can't see chasing down unresponsive clients who are unresponsive: A) they should put on their big boy/girl pants, and B) it's not like you are lacking for work...  Good job on your trial run, and creative use of a bag 'o mangoes.

I hope your legs are feeling fresher today, Evanflein.

Congrats on making the most of that little cold front, Spacityrunner.

Mariposai, yes, you can certainly walk/run a marathon. So if you really want to do it, then just do it!

Nice neighborhood picnic, Starr. that IS a long time to be in one neighborhood!

We had a 3/4 hour business meeting last night, then an open photo workshop (kicking off our estuary photo contest) last night. The workshop was fun and informative, and we had a good crew of attendees.

Tomorrow, we have to drive to NY for the funeral of one of DW's aunts. She was 93/94, and had led a full and joyful life. But she said a year or two ago that she was really ready to move on, so I'm somewhat glad for her that she did so peacefully. The services are said to be a celebration of her life, and I believe they will be exactly that.

I got a good night's sleep last night - the first in about 3 weeks, and woke up early and refreshed. We also had a cool front move in, so I enjoyed this morning's work out in 58° The H was still high, at about 88%, but I didn't feel it near as much with the cooler temps. So I went 7.6 RW miles, starting easy, and with slight negative splits just about the whole way. Using the great app that Evanflein found, I mapped this morning's workout: https://www.relive.cc/view/g13772086990 The only difference is that it was dark as night while I was out there.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice recap, Jay, as always.

Finally managed 4.1 before work.  Weather was cooler and drier.  I'm still not feeling quite right, but got it done.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings, all.  Enjoyed the same basic weather as Jay.  15° cooler than yesterday made for a much more pleasant run this morning.  3.1 yet again, but at what felt easier than yesterday AND ended up 30 sec/mile faster.  It may be all psychological, but boy do I like the cooler weather.  Another 10° down and I'll really be happy.  Not necessarily happy about the dark, but the price I pay.

Glad yours felt better, too, KSA.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hi friends!! Jay your recap always helps me feel more connected- thank you!!

Yesterday 40 minute oxen swim then 6.5 mile run - run was mid-day heat and humidity but feeling good!!

Last night's cold temps made the ocean water feel colder this morning but once my face warmed up I was fine. Swam 20 minutes easy trying out new goggles. Volunteering this afternoon at packet stuffing fir the race, then going to a bike clinic, bike/run mini sprint with the Kennebunk Beach trip club. Tomorrow will be a total rest day - may attend the athlete meeting in the afternoon just to have one less thing to do Saturday.

Im not happy with the early morning darkness Jay and Stumpy - our summers r way too short!

Milktruck - I am seriously considering the trail to ale race with you - sorry to disappoint, but don't think I'll be a ringer 😂

denise

Thanks as usual, Jay. Glad to hear about your weather, too.

Glorious preview of Fall here today, but apparently I'm not alone in that: partly cloudy skies and low 60s with low humidity as well. Ran 5.2 miles at the best clip in a long time, including a mile in the mid-9s. I could take this weather for a long time, and fortunately it should last through the weekend.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch.

DW has a painting class this evening, so I have to get both kids from their respective establishments, so there will be nothing else today

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

"Put on their big boy/girl pants" - I've used those same words in a meeting, which fell on deaf ears.  It just boggles my mind how much we are coddling these folks.  One guy, when I asked him when he was going to review all the documents I sent him, told me - no, whined to me, "I"m not a paper person.  I'm out here just working hard trying to make this work."  I wanted to reach through the phone and punch him.

Icing and Frozen Mangoes - Preventative and things are still uncomfortable.  I think my sciatic is involved, as well.  I see my MAT guy on Tuesday and I'm hoping he can help me get to the bottom (no pun intended) of things.  In the meantime, I still walk around rubbing my butt.  

61 years?  Dang, Starr!  That's a long time to live in one place, but how cool to know the history and witnessing all the changes.

What's an "oxen" swim?

My cherry tomato plants are loaded with green tomatoes.  If we don't get some sun soon, they'll end up staying that way. 

Bonkos aka Bunko tonight at my house.  Momma needs to win 60 bucks!!!

Image result for bunko

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

..well,

my buddy showed up with an 1853 Enfield rifled musket (a replica)

and

we got to spend the day shooting MinnieBalls,

nasty little things

...............if I had actually HAD to use it, The Sepoy Mutiny would have been a Huge Success.........

=============

...but I digress........

40-min PoolRun

getting ready for Pickles' Trip to Ireland with her NursingSchool Buddies

.........after they leave,

I plan to see if my buddy owns a Cannon......

......................kinda puts ''Starting the Day Off With A Bang'' in a New Perspective..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

TW--I just got off the phone with my boss, who absolutely drives me nuts--so your post...and the thought of Leslie walking around rubbing her butt--made me break into a much needed laugh.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

marj – what’s the most you’ve ever found?

I’ll even pick up pennies when nearby panhandlers won’t. However, it would take more than a quarter to interrupt any momentum I am still able to garner, if any, trying to pedal up one-or-more of the seven hills of Seattle I used to ascend with comparative ease.

tom - show's the kick?

ps deez - although my worst-ever triathlon last week is not worthy of mention, unless you end up worse than my second-to-last place, please add your more challenging upcoming half-Ironman to a possible triathlon thread, maybe with some tri tips.  Good luck. How’s the weather look?

pps Erika - thanks for the Equinox update info.  have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Exercise and core work today.

Interesting story about a meta-analysis of happiness studies.  Key graph:

Woo hoo! Things should be looking up for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Woo hoo! Things should be looking up for me.

very nice, and probably very true, . . .  as long as health is good.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, Tramps, that graph looks like a LOT of people have mid-life crises!  I'm on the far side of the graph, too, so things should be looking up, although I've always been a pretty happy person.

I met my friend Val today for a 17 mile trail run up to the continental divide.  We've been getting almost daily afternoon thunderstorms, so we started at 6 am and got back to the car at noon, about an hour before the rain started.   I'm planning to pace Val at the Run Rabbit Run 100 mile race in Steamboat Springs in two weeks - looking forward to it!

My pacing gig at Leadville last weekend didn't work out because my runner dropped at mile 40 - she thinks she passed a kidney stone, and she was peeing blood, so a good decision to drop.  I had a good time in Leadville hanging out with lots of friends who were out there - seems all the Colorado ultrarunners are there, either running, pacing, crewing, or volunteering!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

The comments in that article Tramps linked to are pretty good. Basically, a lot of people credit being happier in older age because at that point you just don't give a crap what anyone thinks and you do what you want. Ha. I like the red line... tends to go with my experience of teen years and early 20's being an emotional struggle full of fears of not really knowing what you want to do and what life holds. The early adult years into middle years are a stressful but mostly good time, I think, with competing demands and priorities but lots of rich experiences (raising kids, career moves, building a home, etc) but yes, stressful can be bad for some. But yeah, get on in life and put so much of that stressful stuff behind you, and a certain amount of learning to adapt and accept things, I can see how it gets better as you go on. That red line spike at about 70 though...makes you wonder what the question was!

Sounds like good weather moving in for some of you. Not like those poor folks in Harvey's path... I hear Austin could get pretty wet. For us, I'm afraid our nice warm summer days are over. We're in a holding pattern of cloudy days with highs in the low to mid-60's, rain showers more often than not so hard to plan for anything. Trees aren't really turning yet but they will soon. Gotta start working on cleaning up the garden and yard. Bleh. We could get some beautiful days in September though, so I'm not giving up yet!

Marathon Maniac #957

So, that graph puts me, at age 52, at the unhappiest time of life.  hmm

Okay, I have to say, those folks living on the Gulf Coast - surely you expect hurricanes, right?  Especially at certain times of year?  So, why do the news channels show, every time a storm is headed into the Gulf, footage of folks frantically filling bags with sand.  Seriously? What the heck are you doing the rest of the year?  Surely there would be warehouses FULL of bags of sand for the next storm to arrive.

4.3 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."