Masters Running

Bonking in Boston (Read 607 times)

Tramps I know how you feel.  Right now the early burnout just . . . well . . . sucks.  But it happened to me in NYC.  You know what you are really going to remember?  The meet and greets of all your imaginary friends.  Whatever you do, please do not wake up!  I "remember" that Twilight Zone episode and when you wake up we all disappear.  I really do not want to disappear. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps! It's Boston!  You ran Boston!  Period.  What do you want for $110, a post race feast?

Congratulations! It's supposed to be a hard course, of coarse.

You did look ragged

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Congrats on running Boston Tramps.  Wonderful report.  Unfortunitely, with the marathon, you just never know what the day will bring.  But, you stayed the course and got back to Boston with a wonderful experience behind you.  We have all been there, when the legs just don't want to go.  So when is you next race?  Rest up and get back in those running shoes.  By the way, everyone is supposed to look ragged after 26.2 miles.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

. . . a sport that ought to be so simple.”  But that’s just me.   

me too.

ps - one of these days you'll find out there is no shame in walking, especially at Boston.

my kind of rr too.  Just add three hours.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

"are you okay"   -  lol   that becomes our mantra when we are doing medical sweeps in the chute -- try to get the runner to look in your eyes and answer as a quick triage assessment

so glad i was able to meet you Sunday after our failed attempts at Baystate --- you ran a great race, sorry it felt so difficult..............also did you miss the bananas and potato chips on the way out of the chute?    i usually find that a great combo after a warm race.

denise

Tramps! I have GOT to remember not to be drinking coffee while reading one of your reports! I promise I wasn't laughing at you, just near you, but the line about the photos sealed it. Oh my!

You made it through and it appears you had a good time (just not at the race itself) It was great to see you again even if you kept following me around at Robin's to ask me about my time goals.   Seriously, you ran Boston, clearly have running talent and some more PRs ahead of you.

So did you notice that the Congratulations e-mail from the BAA to all finishers had a typo in the title: Congatulations! Just to add to the complete experience for you.

There was also some big snafu with the athlete alert tracking process and Mr. CNYrunner didn't receive alerts for me or some of the local folks he wanted to track. The only correct alert he received was for his fantasy girlfriend: Valerie Bertinelli!

Onward to the next and be sure and get some good photos in Antarctica.

lamerunner

Great report, very funny!  Boston can be a tough one. Water stop etiquette should be a required course; the stopping dead in the middle of the road annoyed me more this year than usual.  I am sorry I did not get to meet you. Recover well!

Great report Tramps. And what Perch said!

And I swithced to the Red Sox avatar on opening day. Still keeping the faith with the Bruins -  I was at the Bruins game last night to the end and it was fantastic!

coastwalker

Hi Tramps,

Thanks for the great report on your trip and the race. It is too bad that race day wasn't your best day, but lots and lots of people will tell you that they also didn't have their best day at Boston. But you met some great friends, took in all that the Boston Marathon has to offer, and you finished in a respectable time. It is an impressive club of runners who can say they qualified for and ran Boston: Welcome to the club!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Head Procrastinator

Tramps,

I think you did fine. Some people seem to thrive in the big crowds and others it bothers. Add to that how early you start out only to stand around. I have a feeling you have a grudge with the course and we'll see another one of these reports from you.

Pleasure meeting you and DW and glad she made it out to the cheering/aid station to hang with us for a few.

Beeker's DW couldn't even get on a T!

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Nice report Tramps thanks for sharing your Boston experience. Sorry you didn't meet your goal but it wasn't from lack of trying.  You gave it all you had, somedays we just don't have enough.    

I would very happy with a 3:4?  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Thanks for a great RR, Tramps.  We need to read the bad along with the good.  Bonking is never fun and figuring out how to push right up against  the wall without bumping into it seems like a perennial challenge.  It was great to meet you and I hope we will see each other at other boomer meet-ups.  I, for one, like reading about imaginary friends, because tongue-in-cheek humor is the best kind.  Recover well now, move on, and enjoy the Boston 2010 garb.

This is the first Boston RR I've read, and  I think you've spoiled it for the rest of them. You always manage to

maintain humor and dignity in your writing and I loved your thoughts on Boston.  I completely agree w/ you about

large races, having endured the Country Music 1/2 marathon three times now (35,000 +).  And so true about the huge expo as well! But to say you've run the Boston marathon is something most people will never be able to say.  And even though you are disappointed w/ your time, same thing applies.  Thanks for an awesome, honest report!

Jlynne

Did anyone ever tell you you look great in orange?  I'm sorry your Boston experience didn't turn out to be everything you were hoping for, but you got to run BOSTON!! That's something that I (and a lot of other runners) will probably never be able to say.  It sounds like the temperature was a big issue. When you've spent your whole training cycle running in cold weather, you have to believe that heat will play a factor come race day. Good race, Tramps, and a great description of your day. Thanks for sharing with us!

2. National may have taken more out of me than I realized.  

I think this is the key, Tramps.  26.2 miles takes a lot out of anyone.  Doing it twice in a month (or less!) is a lot of work. 

Still 3:40 isn't a horrible result, really.

It was great to see you and your DW again.

<signed> your ole pal louking

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com