Masters Running

Sat Aug 8 Runs and Workouts (Read 365 times)

I don't see the Saturday thread -- hope I'm not just missing it.

Warmer temps are in and getting worse over the weekend -- just how I like it, I suppose.

5 recovery miles this morning, in prep for tomorrow's long run.

5.1 miles, 46:58, 9:15/mi, AHR 139 (71% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

is baby beer here yet??????????

14 miles for me. Man, I love this wave runs. Miles 5,7,9 at MP and mile 11 a fist faster than HMP.

going to the winery this afternoon, then to a wedding reception. Love is good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Happy Butterfly!  Nice wave run!

15 miles including 2 with dogs then 13 miles in 1:51:46 (8:36 pace, AHR 160) on the rails-to-trails (American Tobacco Trail). There were alot of runners out. Couple clubs and a large Galloway group. As I was finishing, a herd of pretty fast runners (the Big Boys as Byll call them) engulfed me and upped my pace for the last half mile. I switched this run with tomorrow due to the really hot temps coming in today. Last chance for a nice run (72 F and 63F dewpoint). Ahhhh. Now for a Belgian Waffle piled with peaches.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr Beer thanks for starting the Saturday tread before lunch

6.2 miles w/DW around the neighborhood

Nice runs Mariposai & Perch

Congrats to Craneium on the Masters degree

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Morning everyone!

Congrats Craneium!!

Out at 5:15 this morning which is earlier than I've run in some time.  26.5 miles with a 4/1 run/walk ratio which ended up being a 9:51 pace.   Felt good the whole way.  A few twinges in the rt achilles but nothing for the last 10 miles or so.

First dog bite today grrrr, DH is out buying something to scrub it with, it left about a quarter size of flesh like hamburger.  Probably not worth stitches but want to make sure it gets clean.  Then off to SILs pool birthday part!!

Pleasant Sat everyone ...

Amie

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)
            spacityrunner

Was a lazy a** this morning and instead of getting up and getting out for an nice cool early a.m. run, I hung around the house until 10 am.  And i paid for it.  Wheels came off at 4.5 miles...by mile 5 I was toast...hot, hr was high and not going down.  But, did manage a respectable (for me) 5.5 in 1:08 for an avg 12:30 m/m...given that my last mile pace was 14 m/m I will take it.  Thought I would be mostly alone out there at that time of the day, but dang haines point was packed with bikes, runners, walkers, and cars....

1 coconut water and 1 choco milk and 2 hot dogs for my recovery meal   Imagine what I would have if I had done any kind of mileage

did 20 min in the pool last night

Cranieum...how wonderful for you....

Update on grandbaby beers????

Am thinking of doing my run on a treadmill tomorrow as they are predicitng very high 90, maybe 100 and poor poor air quality...I don't think I can get up early enough to beat that...haven't been on a treadmill in ages!

Good day and good runs everyone

Trails Rock!

Where is everyone!!  Wakey wakey!!

Amie, wow a dog bite, and you don't seem steaming mad about it!  Also, I had to read your post twice, because I thought that 26.5 miles was a typo.  YOU ROCK!

Perfect 56F, went up to 65F by the end of my run.  In the woods, absolutely lovely.  I woke up feeling spaced out, portending a bad run, and when I got out of the car at the trail I noticed my balance was a bit off (it has been almost a non-issue the past two weeks), so I didn't have high hopes for this run.  But it turned out just fine.  Took one break at the car for water and something to eat at 4.8 miles, then continued on for 6.32 miles total.  REALLY happy I hit my goal of 6 miles, and my pace was significantly faster (although still super slow) than just even one week ago, and with less effort too.

Rewarded my self with a chocolate milk, which I previously reserved for runs of over 12 miles, but heck, I deserved it.  No hot dogs though....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

craneimum, congrats on the official notice that you've completed the requirements for your masters.  That should take a lot of stress off.  roch, it sounds like your club put on a nice race.  runningsmarter, sorry to hear about the dog bite.  If you don't know, I'd sure make sure the dog is up to date on it's shots.  Also, if there's any sign of infection I hope you get to a doctor ASAP. 

Nice long runs for mariposai, WRFB, CNY, perch craneium, dive, perch, and runningsmarter (real long).  Good job on the speedwork for evan (on TM).

This morning, it was in the low 60s and fairly calm.  I got in 6 miles in enough under an hour for a 9:58 pace.  I started to feel a few sprinkles about 4 miles and there was some thunder with heavier sprinkles about 5 miles, but no lightning.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Hi Guys,

Here is my 10k race report from this moring .... 16 miler bright and early tommorow as they are calling for 90's.

I had planned going out at 7:30 pace and hold on to get 46:30 - 47:00 but was never feeling it.... maybe it was the thought of my 16 mile LR tommorow in the back of my head.  Time puts me at 1:45 Half, which is reasonable as hope to get that to 1:42:30, but with 5 - 6 weeks out and in midst of marathon training (no time for taper/recover) 1:40 probably not in the cards.... Have 10 miler race next weekend and was hoping to keep 7:45 pace??

Paced well and finished strong, so will take the 2:20 taken off my old PR and the new time of 47:14.

Distance Time Total Time Pace Notes
                    1 Mi 7:25.78 7:25.78 7:26 1st mile little fast but under contrrol ... Target was 7:30 ended with 7:25
                    1 Mi 7:36.51 15:02.29 7:37 Overall pace around 7:31 so looking good.
                    1 Mi 7:39.78 22:42.07 7:40

Mile 3 -- Some odd traffic this mile. Up until 2.5 mi this was a 5k/10k mix crowd and

we split at 2.5 mi and finally see who are the 10kers. At this point of 10k I do not think

I passed nor was passed by anyone rest of race, although the distance of runners behind

me grew as at this point runners probably 50 - 70 yds back and by the end group of 4 runners

about .1/3 mi back. After looping .7 miles we remerge with 5k route and they are at 2.5 mi

while 10kers are 3.2 , so hitting the back of pack 5kers and need to weave through some

straggelers, another .25 mile and 5kers break to finish while 10k break off.

1 Mi 7:47.13 30:29.20 7:48 Mile 4 - With crowd thinning out I have 2 - 3 runners within distance, and behind group is falling off and at this point pretty sure should not get passed rest of race (which can be a bad thing as no extra motivation). At this point just was not feeling it even though course was flat and weather cool, no taper for race as coming off first 40 mpw and in midst of 45 mpw this week.
                    1 Mi 7:39.43 38:08.63 7:40 Pick up the pace mile 5 as see if I can real in 1 of the 2 runners in front of me. Closest runner is getting closer and thought he was struggling .... gained on him but never passed.
                    1 Mi 7:44.24 45:52.87 7:45 Pace still faster than mile 4 so not a bad finish. At this point figured would not get the 46:30 - 47:00 shooting for but knew it would be a decent 2:00 shaving off PR.
                    0.2 Mi 1:21.54 47:14.41 6:48 Mile 6 marker was called at like 45:45 (Mile markers were way off whole course) and doing math figued a 1:15 final .20 would be like a fast 1/4 interval. What they F , give it a shot and finished strong but turned for corner home then they had the shut catycorner behind a tree so did not see clock until like 25 yds out 47:08 and then pulled up to finish 47:14.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hi Masters!!

We are camping and it is raining, raining, raining, and oh, did I mention it is raining??   We drove over to Cabela's and killed a little time there and I found two really cute shirts for $10 each!!   I couldn't afford NOT to buy them.   DH's uncle gets tired quickly so we didn't stay long.   He had a bone marrow transplant in June and has to stay close to the UofM hospital for checkups and procedures, but all in all he is doing really well and the doctors call him "boring" which is a good thing.

Hopefully the rain will let up soon so we can have a fire this evening and enjoy the outdoors with them.   I SO badly want to go for a run.  But the thunder and lightening is kind of making me hold off .....

Rain, Rain go away!!!  Sad

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Top 'O the World!

Wow! Quiet in here....everybody must be racing or somethin.

Mary: hope the rain abates for you! Cabela's is a fun store! the original is from my DH hometown.

Paced my DD for her very first 5K run/walk...she did very well...14:34 ave pc & is looking fwd to her next!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Renee the dog

Replaced my 5 recovey miles scheduled for today with 1 recovery mile, a 5K, and 2.4 mi recovery stroll.  It worked out OK.  Think I have evidence it is time to up my target pace level up one notch for the remainder of this training cycle.

We had D-tags but no start mat and no starting line that I could figure out (ah, just using the tags for order of finish...crap! Didn't figure this out till we were underway).  Anyway, I spent most of the 5K trying to do math in my head.  There were tons slow runners up front on a narrow course, which made my plan of an 8:30/8:00/7:30 paced progression get tossed out the window.  I ended up under 25:00:00 which was my goal, but only by 5 sec according to gun, and since I have no idea where the start was, I wiped any data that shows otherwise out of my Garmin.  So gun time it is, and it was still a PR. 

runningsmarter, please get proof of the dog's current rabies status -- that's not something to assume.  {{{ }}}

Have a good night everyone! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

Geez, this is a lite day in here, posting-wise.

Nice 10k Buckeye! And Nono's 5k was good too. 

RunningSmarter ran 26.5 miles? Why? Hope the bite is ok. Nono is right to have that dog checked out for current rabies vaccination. I'm also surprised you don't seem upset about it? I'd be all over that dog owner.

My race sucked. I didn't want to do it from the start. Almost turned around and drove home. But I did it and it's done. I really don't like this course. Had a hard time with footing, mud was slick, the gravel was so uneven and big rocks hurt my foot and I turned my ankle twice. Went off course, too. What else could go wrong? Just before mile 10 I saw a bunch of runners coming back at me, saying "we missed a turn!" So I stopped and thought, this is just great. Having a carpy day and now this. Oh well. We found the missed turn and continued on, but my heart really wasn't in it now. I walked thru water stops. Couldn't find my Gu (found it later on the ground outside my car door!) Took about 3 30 second walk breaks on some gravelly parts. Ended up with 1:51:52 (but that's for 13.6 miles), 8:13 avg pace (bleh). Still, the two faster chicks in my AG were not there, so I got first in AG and there was a pretty good barbecue afterwards (no beer). All in all, I'm glad that's done. (oh, I get to report humidity! We ran in thick fog, couldn't see more than quarter to half mile ahead, 98% humidity and 55F at the start)

Good evening, all!

Craneium - huge congratulations!  A 10-miler to celebrate - sweet!!

Evanflein - way to go!  Great race considering your heart wasn't in it!!

Amie - 26.2 miles AND a dog bite - you are tough, lady!!

nono - congrats on the PR - nice race!!

I couldn't believe the perfect running conditions today.  DH and I did 20 miles on the Airline Trail - 52 degrees at the start and 72 by the time we finished, but there was no humidity.  I love the long runs that don't feel like long runs - AHR was only 157, and I was picking up speed for the last few miles - sweet!!

Good runs everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Okay, somewhere along the line I missed something about Amie getting bit??  Plus 26+ miles??  Dang, girl.  And I echo what everyone else has said - don't assume the dog is up on its shots.  Better to be safe, safe, safe than sorry.

Nono - Nice 5k.

Buckeye - Nicely done on your 10k.

Erika - You gutted through it.  Good job.

15.25 tough trail miles this a.m (was suppose to do 16).  My legs were pinched by Mile 8 or so.  Don't know why, but that's how it goes sometimes.  Was disappointed that I wasn't able to run as fast as I wanted down #13 at the end.  I love flying down that trail.  But by then, my quads were toast.  Charlie Dog was really tired, too, so maybe it was just something in the air - at least that's gonna be my excuse.

Came home and put in about 3+ hours of yard labor, redoing one of my beds, which was full of growing bird seed. What a pain.   And let's just say that between running and gardening, I was really, really disgustingly gross by the time I got done.  That shower felt sooooo good!  And the plate of pasta I pigged down afterward was like mana from heaven!  Okay, maybe that's going overboard, but it sure tasted mighty good.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance