Masters Running

Valentine's Day - did you run anyway? (Read 491 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

I didn't - but I did get in a lifting session and an hour on the stepper.

Yesterday - got about two hours in on the treadmill, ans started to feel really beat.  Then I remembered that I gave blood on Saturday morning.  That explains it.  So I forced myself to quit at 18 miles.  I'll ramp it up next weekend.

Went to the NYC marathon web site yesterday.  Saw that they have a 3:30 qualifying time for "veterans" (50+).  Since I turn 50 in October, and had a 3:26 last year, I think I'm in.  No worries about a lottery.  Woohoo.  (Now to convince Long-Suffering...)

Happy V-day everyone.

18 miles in 2 hours?  On low blood cells?  Wow.  You've redefined the "PBJ Special" with that one PBJ.

Yesterday our adult and middle school Choirs, along with our Praise team, joined 4 other Churches and Temples in an Interfaith Choir Concert.  One church brought along their Bell Choir.  11 people playing 4 bells each; often all 4 bells in their hands at the same time.  That was Amazing!  I could see our Bell Choir Director lusting in her heart for those bells and chimes.  The Gospel Choir got everyone in the audience to sway and sing along.  Our Music Director, though white, has Gospel in his life and he almost rocked himself right out of the chair.  And then of course, our performance raised the roof on the Temple with 3 guitars, drums, a violin and keyboards fronting 40 people singing, the Praise team with mics.  The Medleys and A Capella parts were A1.  Then, as a finale, all the various choirs got onstage together and performed.  Standing Ovation after that.

Yes, I ran anyway!  I got DW a Nook yesterday so I was good to run today even though it's Valentine's Day.  5 easy-paced miles at 9:26.  That's my "Long Run" for the past month and a half.  Now to wait for the rest of the day to see if the back tightens up at all.  Finger crossed.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Leslie—check the belts?  Frayed belt will produce smoke and make the washer seem dead.  In fact, a $10 belt may bring it back good as new.  BTDT.

Erika—cool wildlife.  I enjoy watching the deer, fox, hawks, and occasional eagle in our yard, but never any moose!  My brother up in NH, on the other hand, was knee deep in moose at his house; a real nuisance.  The funny part is, in the summer, tourists pay something like $20 for "moose tours" Roll eyes

PBJ—a fast 18 miles after blood donation is quite a feat.  I didn’t know about that NYC time….hmmm not that far away…I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Byll—good run for you!

We’ve never celebrated Valentine’s Day, telling each other that every day ought to be special.  Yeah, hopeless romantics after all these years.

Gorgeous 47F breezy morning.  11 miles today with my first PBJ Special in this cycle (8 in 58:30).  It was an effort but not a strain. 

Be safe. Be kind.

...nice running burger//..........we sat behind a BellsChoir one Sunday...

......at first I thought my head would explode

I wound up WISHING

my head would explode.

=======

.........rest day...........

good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

3 miles on the TM at the gym along with a little workout. 

I can't keep up with the people already here, but it is good to see the new arrivals (Hemerocallus) and the return of others (winejunky).  Hello!

Nono - Congratulations on your PR, and age group placing.  A fake bib chip, eh?  I had one of those once too.  They were testing the new technology.  Many of the little local races around here use chips, but they only have mats at the finish so we get cheated out of a few seconds on the official times.

No celebration here either.  We're all watching what we eat.  I usually would get Cindy some mix of Jelly Belly's and the girls some chocolate.  Not that we ever really "celebrated" the day.  For me, it was just a good excuse to buy more candy. Roll eyes

Went to the NYC marathon web site yesterday.  Saw that they have a 3:30 qualifying time for "veterans" (50+).  Since I turn 50 in October, and had a 3:26 last year, I think I'm in.  No worries about a lottery.  Woohoo.  (Now to convince Long-Suffering...)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news however; your age on the date of the qualifying race is what they use.  These are the standards as listed on the NY Marathon web-site and they haven’t changed must in the last few years.   This is the 5th year I’ve used either their marathon or half-marathon qualifying time.  I think the half times are a bit easier to reach, at least for some of us.  

My primary goal for the Half at the Hampton's next Sunday will be a 1:40 or better for NY 2012.

• ·         Runners who meet the following qualifying time standards* in a half or full marathon whose results can be certified online:

Open (Age 18-39)**

Masters (Age 40+)**

Marathon

Half-Marathon

Marathon

Half-Marathon

Men

2:55:00

1:23:00

3:10:00

1:30:00

Women

3:23:00

1:37:00

3:38:00

1:44:00

Veterans (Age 50+)**

Veterans (Age 60+)**

Marathon

Half-Marathon

Marathon

Half-Marathon

Men

3:30:00

1:40:00

3:45:00

1:48:00

Women

3:52:00

1:50:00

4:13:00

2:00:30

Veterans (Age 70+)**

Marathon

Half-Marathon

Men

4:00:00

1:55:00

Women

4:35:00

2:11:00

* All times must be run at, or faster than, the posted time. Times achieved outside of NYRR races must be verifiable online.
              ** Your age on the day of the qualifying race.

You must have met the appropriate qualifying time between January 1, 2010 and January 31, 2011 (2011 NYC Half-Marathon and Boston Marathon 2011 times will also be accepted, provided you applied by the April 30, 2011 deadline). Include the race name and date with your application. Please contact us via email at marathonmailer@nyrr.org if you qualify.

ETA - I don't know why the text is behaving the way it is.  The  Masters Age 40+ Header should be directly over the Marathon & Half Marthon times on the upper right and the Veterans 60+ Header should be directly over the Marathon & Half Marathon times on the lowever right in the table.

Bill, hope the back stays loose for you. PBJ, yikes, I've heard of high altitude training, but low blood training? Nice work. 

I ran an EZ 4.5 Saturday and took yesterday off. Lifted weights this morning and had a nice workout. Squats, overhead presses and power cleans. But didn't run after. The PF symptoms are coming back after running just under 14 total miles last week.

Just made an appointment with a PT for Wednesday at lunch. There's got to be some scar tissue there that needs to be broken down. It's been over 4 months now so I want to see what a pro can do for this. Hoping they can do some ART, Graston or maybe even acupuncture. Something, anything to make this go away. 

Marathon Maniac #957

PBJ – nice in for you.

Breger – that sounds lovely!

Erika – very cool to have moose in your yard – as long as they’re not in the vegetable garden.  How do they survive when it’s – 42 degrees out?

Leslie – re the neck pain I was telling you about?  I bought a great massager last week and it really does wonders for neck and back pain – very powerful, deep penetrating massage.  DH has been having me do is lower back, too.

For the first time in years, DS won’t be playing spring soccer.  His team played their last season together in the fall, since a number of them will be going out for school sports instead.  So DS has decided to try 8th grade Track and Field this spring.  I’m proud of him for this decision, since he’s not a particularly fast runner and I know this is outside of his comfort zone.  Conditioning starts this afternoon, so I took him to the running store yesterday and got him a pair of running shoes to fit his Men’s Size 13.5 feet.  I let him pick what felt best to him, and it ended up being Mizunos.  $110 – ouch! – but they gave us a 10% school discount.  I’m not sure that he will ever love running, but I just hope he doesn’t hate it.   Undecided

No, I didn’t run this morning.  I’m giving the legs a break today.  50 minutes of P90X Chest, Shoulders and Triceps and 10 min. stability ball core work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Holly, with links for things like that massager, you're going to get this thread locked for inappropriate content as well! Big grin I just rescheduled my PT appt from Wednesday to this afternoon (EGH, perhaps you took my previous time slot?), so I figure I can afford to run again this morning and risk messing myself even further. Wink Posting from my phone, so I hope this works...
                    Mariposai

Great to see Byll running his 5miles, the miles are miles of victory!

Erika, what a great visitor you had yesterday! That must have been a sweet sight.

I wanted to fit in 10 miles this morning, but I settled for 5 miles so I can spend  some time making Irish soda bread for my DH and DS, since they requested it for breakfast today. Tonight is gym hot date night...so I should be able to fit in more miles.

Your know, unlike English or any romance language, the Greeks uses three words to describe the range of the meaning of love: Agapao: The love that moves people into action and looks out for the well being of other, the love of God. Eros: the sexual love or the feeling shared between people who are physically attractive to each other, and Phileo:  the brotherly love, the feeling shared between two friends.

May you celebrate the three aspects of love on this Valentine day!

Be bold, tell people you love them...life is just too short not to.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

No run yet, but I did cycle into town and back to get valentine chocolates for the wife. I plan to do an easy 10k this evening.

wildchild

Carolyn

No run yet for me either, but I'm looking forward to a RAL. It's supposed to be in the 50's today  in Denver!

Nono, congrats on 2nd in AG at the HM!  I'm surprised you've never placed in your AG before - you should really find smaller races!  Wink 

Byll, your choir performance sounds wonderful.  My DD just auditioned for and got selected to be in the Cornell University Chorus - they're quite good, and she's very happy to be singing with a choir again.

No run yesterday, but more firewood splitting and stacking.  Remember the plow truck I mentioned?  DH and I finally got it hooked up and working yesterday.  The guy who delivered the truck had put the plow in the dump bed (too far to drive with the plow on the front) and we were unsure how to get it out and installed.  Well, we pretty much dumped it out on the ground, then got it propped up, and pulled the truck around to hook it up.  Pretty slick!  Here are some pictures.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

OrangeMat - Blush - I really did get it for my neck and shoulder pain.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Valentines Day!!

Such impressive runs over the weekend, as usual from this group on non-achievers!   Wink  

Carolyn - that is one heck of a dump/plow truck!!   My DH would be drooling over it I am sure.  

What a great gift for your wife Bill!    I absolutely love mine!!

Rest day for me .....I have been getting in 1.5 mile training walks with B'Nellie every day too.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

18 miles in 2 hours?  On low blood cells?  Wow.  You've redefined the "PBJ Special" with that one PBJ.

No!  It was at the two hour mark that I got tired - but I kept running.  I was at 7 mph on the tm.  I don't have any speed anymore.