Masters Running

beware the ides 3.15.17 (Read 40 times)

mrrun

I'm just starting since Jay may be without power as my DD who lives about 10 miles from him lost power and got over 20" of snow and Henry's DS who lives about 10 miles in a different direction also lost power - don't know their snow amounts.  We got about 6" but it's icy and sunny out the window

Happy Wednesday!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but I'm way behind schedule this morning, so just an abbreviated post.

Thanks for the start, Marj. We didn't get as much snow as folks even a little further inland because the storm was a little further out to sea so the coastal areas had a little more warmer moisture and thus wetter, pasty snow that was too dense to pile up. But we did get more wind than I've ever seen around here. More below.

That's a wicked hill, Bertha, even without the snow!

Stumpy, normally the boat (Rimrack) posts on their website (http://www.rimrackfish.com/the-daily-catch/) or FB page or just leaves a sign by the road at the entrance to the harbor when they will be coming in with scallops. However, this time around they had so many pre-orders that there weren't any scallops left to sell to 'walk-ups.' They may not be back again till late summer.

Holly, I hope your DH will calm down after he gets over the sticker shock for your dental work, and will be a lot more reasonable. You do work very, very hard, and deserve both good teeth and to run races.

It took a while for the snow to get going yesterday, but it finally did, and we closed the office at noon. The winds were howling all afternoon, and the snow was blowing sideways, and the trees were dancing up a storm (literally). The power went out at about 3:30. So I cranked up wood stove/fireplace insert, and DW and I got out candles for later. A little before it started getting dark out, we cooked up some of those not-to-be-mentioned scallops, poured some wine, and had a nice dinner by candle light, in front of the fireplace. And we texted with our neighbors, just to make sure everyone was safe, and that they had enough wine. The power came back on at about midnight, so we were OK this morning. Snowblowing the driveway took forever because the snow was wet and packed. By the road, what the plows had pushed up in front of our driveway was very, very dense, so that took some extra time. I got to the office and had to shovel the walk there, but our plastic shovel broke while I was trying to break through the crust. So when someone else gets in, I'll go home and get something a little sturdier and try again. And, of course, I have more clearing to do at home this afternoon.

Yeah, well, I've got no other workout planned for today.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Marj - 20" of snow for your DD and power out, too.  Brrr!

DH called me on my way to work to apologize for his outburst yesterday, admitting the sticker-shock had him in a bit of a panic.  It's true that I got 3 dental implants and bone grafting over the last 2 years that cost a small fortune, but my SD loaned me the money for it, and said I could pay him back at the rate of $100/month bless his heart, so it didn't impact our budget that much.  Hopefully things will be stable now and I am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing in my mouth will break for  a couple of years so we can catch up.  I did agree to close my running fund account and not do any "away" races until we catch up our savings again, but will still do local races.

My teeth have always been a money pit, but having worn a denture for a couple of years before I got the dental implants, I can tell you, it is NOT AT ALL like having teeth (or implants), and having a denture changed my whole outlook toward eating, put a real damper on the joy of food.

Leslie called me young.....

4 miles for me on the TM today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

And we texted with our neighbors, just to make sure everyone was safe, and that they had enough wine. 

Jay - you are a good neighbor....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Thanks for starting us off, Marj.

We eventually lost power here yesterday, too, but thankfully it was restored fairly quickly.  After a coating of ice, we got winds that were howling like a freight train yesterday.  Dodged the snow though.

Steve--Sea World.

Jlynne--nice to see "awesome" and "pool running" in the same paragraph.

Lori--so THAT is Bertha?  Finally!  Something about that pic strikes me as very Canadian.

((Holly))--Sorry to hear of the dental issues.  That's pricey but you want to take care of your health.  I like Leslie's take on the other issues. You can tell DH it could be worse; you could be a triathlete.  I swear those bikes must be made of gold.

Low 20's today with a stiff wind still blowing. One of the colder days this winter.  My first icy beard this year, I think, after an 8-miler.

Good luck cleaning driveways and getting power back on.

ETA: Oops, Jay and Holly snuck in while I was writing.  Glad to hear you're okay, JayHolly, staying local to keep costs down seems like a good strategy (it's often mine) that still keeps you racing.

Be safe. Be kind.

So I cranked up wood stove/fireplace insert, and DW and I got out candles for later. A little before it started getting dark out, we cooked up some of those not-to-be-mentioned scallops, poured some wine, and had a nice dinner by candle light, in front of the fireplace.

Talk about making lemonade out of lemons! Sounds like a wonderful evening. Oh. Except for having to deal with all of that snow removal today.

That's a lot of snow Marj! And I hope everyone got their power back.

Tramps. Your icy beard reference is no good to us without a picture!

One more vote for no dentures Holly. My gosh - why would your DH be pushing those? And I have to believe if the shoe was on the other foot, he wouldn't want them either. Stick to your guns. You work so hard. You deserve a "running fund".  It's not like you don't contribute to the family income!

That nasty flu bug that's going around? It's landed in our house. Big time. DH got it Sunday and has been kind enough to share it with me. I feel like I've been run over by a truck. Since I work with food (and little kids), I thought it best to not go in today. My boss is not a happy camper...

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

5 miles on the tm today because I am not dealing with ice today. I don't mind breaking the "no rain" rule but I am hereby declaring a "no running on ice" rule. At least for me. I fell a couple years back (no ice though)  and broke a rib. And my glasses, as I took the fall on my face. I am still terrified of falling. So now ice has me freaked out.

Holly, I am told I am not a candidate for implants. I will need dentures someday  and don't look forward to them for the very reasons you mention. I am grateful for the coverage I have. It's not perfect coverage but it will help offset the costs.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

. . . flu bug . . . DH got it Sunday and has been kind enough to share it with me.

Well, isn't that sweet of him.  

Jay's evening sounds wonderful.

We love seafood, but don't eat it very often because it's so dang expensive here, which is ridiculous considering we live at the freaking ocean.

I think not putting any weight on my right leg and standing most of the day made a big difference yesterday . . . until I went home and sat for about 1.5 hrs doing transcription.  I'm going to have to remember to give my butt a break when I'm working at home.  But if I continue to see improvement by keeping that leg non-weight bearing, I'm game for staying on the crutches for awhile.

Okay - I need to start getting some work done.  Later, dudes and dudettes ~~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...Oh Jay, you Romantic Devil.........

=========

20s with windchill here

50-min HH on GreenWay

too darn cold

to hit the Pool today...............and yes, it IS an Indoor Pool

there's that Wimp Thing again

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 easy paced.

34 degrees with a cold wind, "Feels like" of 24.

I did put on long sleeves for this run.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

only and idiot or someone who's grown up in rain country and doesn't know the difference would violate the First-Rule-of-Running sometimes espoused herein and put on a raincoat and wrap headlamp blinkies in cello-wrap to brave five sopping wet miles in this morning's steady rain.  However, it's better than the alternatives, . . . one of which is TM.

Steve - in tselb's words, very neat about the sleeping fish ruse.

My problem was explaining why we couldn't take the colorful

fish in the local aquarium home for dinner.

holly - glad DH seems to be getting back on track.

However, maybe it's an opportune time to sit him down

and go over a budgetary flow chart of the family incomes,

. . . or do it on your own, . . . and stick to it.

I'm off for an hour-and-a-half of crowns, fillings, etc. today.

Oddly enough, I'm already getting dental popups about I i*m*plants

even though the word has never been in any of my posts.

Like when I started getting all kinds of international travel ads

after posting the word pass-port in connection with a concern

Carolyn was once having about her DD's travel back to the states.

No problem, though, I like the attention.

Speaking of Carolyn, I hope she didn't miss pie day.

0ur local station was touting T-Shirt Day yesterday

so Tramps' Pie Day went right over my head, . . .

until later posts about it.

ps - GS reported that, though they got nine inches

of snow the other day, school buses were running

and school was open.  Probably because

everyone has a pretty short commute

in a small community.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

tomwhite, it's always the same temp in the pool! And the hot shower afterward and the sauna to dry off in is so nice...!

Tet, or maybe it's because he lives in Alaska and hey guess what, it snows here! Seriously, we've never closed school for snow. We close for rain though. Because freezing rain in the middle of winter is very, very bad. Brings on all that treacherous ice that Lori refuses to run on (smart girl).

Holly, I agree with the writing up the budget thing. And does this mean no Steamtown!?  (I haven't looked into that more anyway but still would like to do it.) And hey, at least he apologized the next day. That's a big improvement. I would point out it's hard to complain about something as critical as your teeth right after coming back from a party-weekend in Jamaica, but that's just me.

Leslie, glad you've found something that seems to improve things. A little better every day seems to be the best we can hope for.

Jay, making sure the neighbors have wine is a good idea. And if they didn't, were you offering to help out? How'd you cook with no power? I did see a map of the storm on DH's Facebook feed that had bands of severity with the measure being how many bottles of wine you needed to get through it. I think you were in the Four Bottle band. 

To all you dealing with that wet heavy snow, be careful. We had an employee in Ketchikan go home at lunch to do some shoveling of the wet heavy snow they get there, and he died. Coworkers became concerned when he didn't come back from lunch.

I ran 5.2 miles yesterday and foot felt ok, and fine this morning. Today is an elliptical day. Slow and steady progress, but I hope to be able to run consecutive days soon. Well, maybe I could now but I'm not going to, yet.

2.1 miles at home on the treadmill this morning before my flight to Texas.  It was 24 degrees outside.  I just did 3.1 more miles on the Corpus Christi Bay sea wall .  It was 72, humid and windy.  Lots of people were out hanging by the bay on the sea wall.  Not beautiful people, either!  I'm at a pretty run down Holiday Inn right across from the sea wall.  I could have stayed at a nicer place, but getting to run by the water was a priority.  I hope I don't get murdered.   Business travel is SO elegant!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

2.1 easy cool miles around work.  Nothing exciting to look at here...but running is running.  Loving this weather.

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

right on Erika..

Even though we had to walk a mile to the new high school

in those days, I think the only time we got out of school

because of the weather was one sunny afternoon in April

or so so we could look up into the blue sky and see

the first Boeing 707 on the way to Fairbanks.

Or maybe the first sunny day one went by.

PanAm, I think.

Remenber?

whoops, too young.

ask your parents.

whew, two-and-a-half hours in the dental chair

this afternoon for long overdue three crowns

and a filling.  I'd've rather gone out for five

miles in the rain.   Oh, I did.

DW's comment, "it's about time."
                                However, don't have the bill yet.

We'll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)