Masters Running

Pondering retirement...wisdom of the crowd topic (Read 60 times)

an amazing likeness

As background…I’m 57, I’ve worked at the same firm (which I helped create from startup) for 26 years. I came here when I was 31 years old and have shepherded it through startup, diversification, growth, and maturation into a well-established firm.

It’s now time for me to move on and let someone else have their shot. I’ve known this for a while and have set some lines in the sand for changes I wouldn’t be able to support.  We’re hitting those demarcations, so it’s time to let someone who believes in that future take the wheel, so to speak.

I’m not ready – or at least don’t think it fits me – for a traditional retire-from-work-and putter/hobby/travel…but I am starting to ponder what’s next.

Somewhat embarrassing, I have to share that all I’ve really done for the past 3 decades is work. I don’t have a list of things I’ve been wanting to dive into when work took less time.

I know some of you here have retired from the traditional work roles of heading to the job each day and am seeking advice and insights on how you prepared for the ‘next chapter’.  Did you pre-test possible hobbies or volunteering and have a clear idea of what to do?  Did you walk away from work and let a few months pass while feeling out the ‘what’s next?’ part?

What advice would you give me as I ponder this next chapter…

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You sound like a lucky guy!

As someone who has always worked for someone else (IE not the boss), and at a place presently that I really like, I know I'm not ready to retire yet (coming up on 63).  So not any actual experience on the retiring thing.  But i do have a few hobbies (fishing, woodworking, running) that i would certainly like to expand in time and location when that does happen.

Partially joking, partially serious--what does your SO like to do and how do they feel about having you around all the time?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

an amazing likeness

Well...I'm not the boss, 'a' boss, but not 'the' boss. I was fortunate to get pulled into a small group who came together around a vision and worked together on it; three of that original group still remain.

My DW is a fabric artist (quilter, sticher, etc). I am not a fabric artist and don't see that in my future (g). My role in that area is to drive her to various back country locations throughout New England in search of fabric every now and then, she handles the trips in settled areas.

Seriously, she is advocating taking some time off and just unwinding, preferably out of sight, but not at the local pub.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mrrun

I would think about what you would like to do - either work or non-work as a next 'career'.  After retirement (4 years ago), I took about 6 months, before I planned on working (or thinking about working) and lo and behold it was suddenly 9 months.  I had a bucket list, but never got around to most of the items for over 3 years.  Instead I got involved in archeology, genealogy, and wrote a book of memoirs (none of which were on my bucket list), and am just now starting on my bucket list which includes piano playing.

good luck in whatever you decide to do - but think and plan before you act.

marj

Henrun

I semi retired early and fully retired in my early 70’s. My retirement has centered around my interests of which I have many, but mostly running. Even though I had a 5-6 month’s interruption due to a knee replacement I’m back to it in a modified way My other interests are music and the arts and a lifelong interest in learning. But most importantly is to stay healthy and retain your zest for life.

evanflein

No real advice here, but envious that you have the luxury of calling the shots. I can't wait to retire, but feel the tug of "golden handcuffs" with a traditional pension plan and almost 2 years shy of the "magic" age of 60. I have a good job with great benefits (that I manage) and a really good boss, but I'm burned out and tired of it all and just want off the ladder. (I know, poor pitiful me, right?) So it'll be interesting to me to hear what others have to say. Marj and Henry are great examples of how to do retirement right.

Marj and Henry are great examples of how to do retirement right.

+1

Unfortunately, due to events of the past, I don't think we will ever be able to fully retire and will have to work at least PT as long as we're able to.  I started a side business years ago doing transcription and really enjoy it.  It's a job that can be done anywhere, so my goal over the next 5 years is to work on expanding outside of my little county and (hopefully) get to where I can pick and choose work as needed to help sustain us.

Fortunately, I have varied interests, and I think that when I get to the point where I can cut back, I'll be able to keep myself busy.  But I like what others have said - give yourself time, see what comes to you.  So many people I know say now that they're retired they're so busy they don't know how they had the time to do any of their hobbies, etc., when they were working.  Hopefully, you'll eventually fall into that category.  

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I am not likely to retire any time soon, but I have thought about what I might do if I did. In my case "retire" would just mean doing a new but different job. My work requires me to do a lot of programming. I think that if I retired I would try writing apps. Worse comes to worse nobody buys them!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

I will be retiring at the end of March.  I have held some kind of job since I was 11 yo and full time since 17 yo (I'm 62 yo).  I am looking forward to creating a different routine for myself.  I have many great retirement role models that have gone before me and I have learned one thing.  Whatever you plan on doing in retirement, be open to change.  I can only make plans based on a lifetime of being committed to working.  I have no idea what it will be like to not work.  One of my friends who retired over 20 years ago (she was 55) made a list of the things she wanted to do in retirement an acted on none of them for at least 6 months after.  Many of the things she listed were no longer what she wanted (like get a puppy) :-)  She is now busy with outside interests that she did not know she had.  I have watched Henrun and Marj in their retirement.  They are living a great life.  One of my other friends who waited till she was 70 to retire can no longer do physically what she wanted to do when she retired.  

It is an individual experience for each person.  Working never gave me the time to explore different things.  Therefore I really don't know what I want to do, but I do know this.  I will run, swim, kayak, and yoga. I will volunteer at my local animal shelter and pet the kitties and walk the doggies.  I will hike more and enjoy my lake more until I want to do something else. 

I know it is time for me to leave this job and I am not interested in getting another right now.  I will let the chips fall where they may.

Trails Rock!

coastwalker

Hi Milktruck,

Congratulations on the successes you have clearly had with your business over the years! Building a successful business from a start-up is a huge challenge.

The problem you have now is too many choices with no apparent significant desires. One option for someone as young as you is to get another job, maybe with another start-up so they can learn from your experience. Is there an incubator group near you that helps start-ups get going? What about teaching? Maybe give yourself 6 months or a year to explore different options before deciding what road you'll travel next. This may not be an option for you, but a friend of mine who had his own business phased himself out of work so he could phase into the next part of his life.

If you decided to go the retirement route, you need to find a way (or ways) to stay intellectually stimulated (if not challenged) and socially involved. Maybe take some classes in something you've been curious about but never pursued: woodworking, welding, photography, a foreign language, playing the tuba, etc. etc. Volunteer to help out in fields you are passionate about. Find a way to mentor kids in fields in which you have some knowledge. Start a running club or a road race. DW calls me a 'civic slave' for all the volunteer work that I do, but I really enjoy the challenges, the interaction with people in a variety of fields, and the opportunities to make things happen.

My only "don't" is don't do nothing. I believe it is those people who leave a job in later years and spend their time on the couch are the ones who die a premature death.

Whatever you do, have fun, and let us know where you wind up.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Everyone has a different situation.

Some observations I've made about "retirement";

People who've just had their nose to the grindstone for decades have a VERY hard time switching gears, they are stuck in "work mode" and become lost when that is suddenly gone. Many start rapidly fading away physically and mentally when faced with that sudden transition.

Some solutions; if possible, gradually remove yourself from your work. One or two days less per week for a while, and eventually just stopping in to visit. This is probably only an option for business owners or principles, it's what my Dad did with our family timber company. When I was a kid, we could not take trips longer than 2-3 days AT MOST because he was worried about the business. In his 60's and 70's my folks went on gradually longer trips, up to two weeks, and were able to see much of the world one piece at a time, and he wasn't too anxious about being away. When your business/job is also your hobby and pastime, it's hard to transition to something else.

Get involved in something that takes up a similar portion of the day, either another low-key "job" or volunteer your services or something. Again, taper that off to only a couple days a week over time.

Take up a hobby or pursue an interest that you had no time to do before (of course!)

Move to a different layer of your industry; for example, a friend recently retired from NASA, where she headed up the ceramics (shielding etc) department, and now she is chair of the national (industrial) ceramics association. There is token pay, and a lot less time required, but she still has her toes in the water.

This is all assuming the logistics are taken care of; that there is an income or source of revenue to pay the bills, keep a roof over your head and put food on the table. If not, you still need to do something that provides an income. Social security is NOT a retirement plan, it's special welfare for people too old to work anymore, and will not cover even lower-middle class living expenses.

I think I'm retired. It happened over the last 10 years. I have investment properties that provide enough income to pay the bills, so I choose when and where and what to work on. But mine is a special situation.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

coatwalker forgot to mention and run a relay race again with the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club. Very, important you know.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Retirement is something we discuss a lot here in our legal department, since many of us are in our mid-60s.  I know I'm not ready.  This is the best job I've ever had and the company is fantastic.  I love the social interaction, the feeling of contributing and the $$$$$.  That said, there are days I am just flat out tired and days I wish I didn't have to rush to get ready and head off to work.  My husband retired about 11 years ago when we moved to Nashville for my job (the one before this which I lost in 2011).  He is a PhD engineer and had worked in the defense industry (we met on the Texas Instruments national running team) and he was older and ready to retire.  There wasn't really the right work for him here in Tennessee.  He keeps busy and is never bored.  He does all our cooking, shopping, house cleaning (except for when the cleaning person comes), car stuff, pet stuff etc.  He doesn't require a lot of socialization- enjoys people and the things we do, but would also be fine if he never saw another person for a couple of weeks.   I need the socialization and conversation.   We had a snow day a couple of years ago and I was all excited about how we would have lunch, watch movies etc.  Well- he disappeared into his home office and I had to laugh at myself.   I would like to have more freedom to travel without being plugged into work.  I hope our health stays good so we can have those days in the future.  You never know, and I know it is a risk for me to keep working.     I like being able to spend and still know we can help our kids with crisis now and still leave them an inheritance.       I'm just not ready.   I've had a lot of friends retire and be bored, and a lot who love every minute.  I think it helps to have money once you retired.  The happiest folks seem to be able to travel a lot to visit friends and family - or just to go to interesting places.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...I Ran a one-man drugstore for  30-years.......( and Loved It)

Luckily

I have always been in great health

then in 2015

had to have

a hip replaced after 42-years of Running (my first surgery ever),

last year

had to have the OTHER one replaced (my second surgery ever).......

============

I expanded

the hobbies I already was doing,

flyfishing, hiking, golf, shooting, cycling, choir for the last 14-years,

volunteered at church (they ALWAYS have something),

and

substituted PoolRunning for the Running I can no longer do

I'd suggest trying things.......Service Clubs, teach a class at the YMCA,

volunteer-work thru your town programs (Rescue Mission, Helping Hands, Meals on Wheels...etc)

drop it if it doesn't fit, enjoy it if it does

Retirement can be Enjoyable,

the Hard Part is what I call ''Letting Go Of The Rope''..............it can be scary

let us know how you're doing

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Very exciting time for you Milktruck!!  I'm on the verge of 58 and don't see retirement in my future for at least 5 years. Saying that tho I did start my career as a nurse when I was 36 not a youngster!!  I too feel the hold of the golden handcuffs as Erika said with working at a Boston hospital, the pay, the benefits and the pension make it hard to leave too early.

I do hope my husband  can retire sooner from his union electrician position - he has been working physical labor jobs since he was a teenager and I would love to see him stop soon and take on something lighter and more enjoyable!!

I agree, Marj and Henrun have been great examples of fun, healthy living and I hope to be like them as well!!

And yes, would love to see a Rosie Ruiz Masters relay team come together again in the near future!!

denise