Masters Running

The Daily Friday Daily, 3.31.17 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s timely workouts:
    Marj (biking to classes in town)
    Tramps (7 more B-more miles)
    RunnerKSA (5.1 miles before driving to Atlanta)
    Rochrunner (4 sweaty TM miles while it sleeted outside)
    Holly (7 miles in 49-ish temps with 10 X 100m strides)
    Deeze (birthday 1200m pool swim + 10 min pool running, with acceptance)
    Tomwhite (wind-driven fly fishing plus 40 min belt-less, fisted, pushing pool run)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles)
    Pfriese (12 miles, including 9 at MP, with windage)
    Henrun (2.5 miles walking to classes, then 2 miles running in shorts)
    Tet (5 dull & dry late morning miles)
    Twocat (tough [a day after going 20] 5 miles with the RP)
    Mike (6 miles, pre-grandkid’s birthday party)
    Evanflein (4.4 mile slippery and snowy slog)

Tramps, interesting (perhaps predictable) reaction by the local wildlife when you went petless.

RunnerKSA, we have a neighbor who is devoted to problem rescue dogs at the local shelter. She has adopted some, and there are some sad cases. Good for you for giving some tough cases a good home. A legal conference at a winery? What could go wrong, indeed! 

Got that winter and spring tug-o-war going, eh, Rochrunner? Good for you and DW for taking advantage of the spring days.

Holly, I wouldn’t like it if a boss tried to get me to go to a political dinner, regardless of which party it was for. No, you’re not the only one who thinks it’s a bit strange that the woman on your running team posts a new photo of herself running every day. Does she think people won’t believe her if she only posts her time, distance, and pace?

Sorry about the continuing crud, Stumpy. That snow on Saturday may indeed cause a race cancellation or postponement - which is Twocat’s favorite.

Happy Birthday yesterday, Deeze! Congrats on some good pool work, and then a full day. I hope you took some time to celebrate.

Evanflein, you’ve got company in the “over this winter wonderland crap” crew.

Nice workouts, Holly and Pfriese.

The cat scan was easy and quick (it took longer to check in at the hospital front desk), and our cat didn't complain at all when I got home in the evening.

I went 7.1 miles this morning under overcast skies, in 36° temps, and with wind from the NE, which is very unusual for early mornings here. Maybe there's a storm coming? I decided to do some fartleks to start the process of trying to see if there is any speed in me. I haven't done any real speed work since last Oct., so my expectations were pretty low. I was surprised that I got one of the miles done in the 10s (barely), but that was the only one. Clearly, I have a lot of work to do. My plan was to start doing some speed work again in April (my first race this year is in early May), so I got a wee bit of a jump on that.

Good luck to Stumpy (if he doesn't get snowed out) and Tramps in their races tomorrow.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

4.1 miles. Very dark- even with the headlamp. It wasn't easy to figure out a good route at this winery, but I eked out the 4 miles.  164 for the month.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good Friday morning, all.

3.1 of what felt like the longest miles in a long time.  A full minute/mile slower than i had thought about for tomorrow.  So if the race isn't cancelld, I'm hoping the bad run usually preceeds a good one maxim holds true.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Got in 3 this morning during a wedge of dry weather on the radar.  Yesterday I managed to pass the ice cream store and go to the gym after work.  It is a battle.

wildchild

Carolyn

I ran 10 miles on the island of Lipari today(one of the Aeolian Islands off the coast of Sicily).  Warm enough for skirt and singlet, but not too hot  - perfect!  The island is very steep, so there was lots of climbing and descending, mostly on paved roads, but some on dirt trails.  Longest run in a while!  The rest of my family was taking it easy today after all the walking we've been doing, so it gave me the chance to get out for a run. Tomorrow we take the ferry back to Sicily, and we'll be staying near Mt Etna!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

catwhoorg

Labrat

3.5 the allergies won this round, just could not get going well

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pfriese

Looks like your having a great trip wildchild. We will be in Italy in early June... can hardly wait!

A little over 6 miles easy running this morning puts me at 244 miles for the month of March. That's a new personal best for miles running in a month.

Yesterday I managed to pass the ice cream store and go to the gym after work.  It is a battle.

The struggle is real.

Jay - Hope the CAT scan comes up a good negative for whatever the issue may be.

Happy belated birthday, Deez!!

We're actually supposed to have no rain through next Wednesday.  Yippee!!  There was an incredibly bright orb in the sky this morning. 

I had a consult with the doc at the Pain Clinic yesterday, which was very discouraging.  It was a no-go for a cortisone shot for now.  He said the MRI was inconclusive, as was his exam, of what's going on.  Give it a couple of more weeks, keep with the ibu and icing, and if no improvement, contact him again.  He said where he'd have to do the shot it's a difficult spot and he only does maybe 3 or 4 a year.

He also brought up something else, though, that I need to rule out - a femoral hernia, which he said is hard to diagnose in women.  I have an appointment with my NP next Thursday to discuss this whole mess with her, including that.  The doc yesterday is the second one who has asked me if I have groin pain.  I said no, but after thinking about it for awhile and discussing things with The Hub, I can't say absolutely no.  I have had pain towards the back of the groin, but have automatically dismissed it as pain radiation from "The Spot."  And when I mashed around on the groin area yesterday showing The Hub where I'm talking about, it definitely irritated things.  How would one go about getting a hernia there?  When I looked up what could cause one, "chronic coughing" was on the list.  When all this initially happened, I got whatever crud was going around here, which included pretty bad coughing for a couple of weeks and which took about a month to completely get rid of.

So, we'll see.  If a hernia gets ruled out, then it's back to "mere" inflammation and it's gonna take time - a lot of time.

The Hub did, however, get a kick out of the doc's parting words - "Keep taking ibuprofen, no heavy lifting, nothing outside of regular everyday walking . . . . " and this was the kicker: ". . . don't gain weight."  Yeah. The Hub loved that one. 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

A few months ago I lost my Garmin Ant Stick. I had removed it from my computer to use the port for something else and it disappeared. I waited a few weeks but finally ordered a replacement because I was tired of manually entering my runs. (My how we have got lazy over the years.)

After lunch today, I walk into my office at home, and there is the missing ant stick in the middle of the floor. Is it a peace offering from the cats or something more sinister?

Marathon Maniac #957

The cat scan was easy and quick (it took longer to check in at the hospital front desk), and our cat didn't complain at all

This made me laugh...

Dave - such willpower - well done!  And I have noticed that all I need to do when I lose something is buy a replacement and then it usually shows up.

4 miles for me today on the TM (it was raining, and I am following Twocat's rule) followed by about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

wildchild - make sure you go to taormina - nice town and lots of hills.  has mt etna stopped erupting?  we spent a few days on the aeolian islands - henry biked and i walked as i had broken arm

dave59 - serendipity

3 miles of walking in snow/sleet/rain depending upon the time..

good luck to racers!

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

First half hour of this morning's five miler was under the bright blue skies

predicted for all day today for the first time since the half mary

two weeks ago before another front moves in for the weekend, . . .

except the front had already covered the sky

with clouds by the time I finished.  oh  well.

Leslie - I'd be interested in that hernia diagnosis.

I thought they were protrusions that were pretty obvious, . .

at least the one Otto Kilcher had on the Discovery

Channel's  "Alaska, the Last Frontier" sure was.

ps Erika - isn't yesterday still a state holiday up there?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

The Hub did, however, get a kick out of the doc's parting words - "Keep taking ibuprofen, no heavy lifting, nothing outside of regular everyday walking . . . . " and this was the kicker: ". . . don't gain weight."  Yeah. The Hub loved that one. 

How in the world do you not gain weight when you can't run??? I mean, would one actually have to be careful of what and how much they eat?

that's craziness!

we have that orb too, Leslie - it's warm, it's sunny, heck it feels like spring!  Tomorrow we might get real close to 70. I'll run a bit after work tonight but then doing 12 or so tomorrow morning.  That'll be a good start to the month for me.

Tammy

evanflein

ps Erika - isn't yesterday still a state holiday up there?

Ha, Seward's Day? Yeah, maybe for some state workers and state offices, but not for the University. Business as usual for us. They get "Alaska Day" off and other such stupid things. Not us, nope. And anyway, it was Monday when they observe it. For anyone who wants to see the goofy Alaska holidays, check this out.

Leslie, I also think that might be reaching for a diagnosis, but it'll be interesting to see what your NP says. I do find it amazing how in our health care situation, you have to bounce from one provider to another for weeks or months and it seems there isn't a holistic manner of diagnosis or treatment. Other than, don't run and don't gain weight. Gee, thanks.

I also have found the fool-poof method of finding a missing item is to replace said item. It inevitably turns up a very short time afterward. Although thinking the cats are involved is fun.

Paul, that's one helluva month of miles you have there! Nicely done! I should beat last month, but that shouldn't be hard since last month was just 76 miles. I think I'll be over 80 after today's run. Woohoo! (waaah)

I live my vacation life vicariously through Wildchild. Loving the Facebook pictures you're posting!

Got a call today from the guy who will be working on my treadmill: the drive belt came in. So we'll try to schedule something for Monday. It would be good to get it all in top shape again and fix the annoying slipping going on. There's also a leak of lubricant or oil or something in the front, and I can't tell where it's coming from. Hope not a bad seal in the motor (which has a 30 year warranty, but I'm sure there are all sorts of conditions and exclusions). So... we'll get that thing all fixed up in time for the nice warm weather and I won't use it for months.

We could hit 40° today! While that's nice for running in, the conditions will probably be a sloppy slippery mess. I'll head out later and see what I find. Only need 4 miles to hit 80 for the month. 

Tramps

Heavy rains today, so it was an easy decision to make it a rest day. Kind of a nasty drive back home from Maryland, too.

Need to get my head into an early morning "race" tomorrow. 7am start for a 15K sponsored by a local "tap room", which means you're drinking beer at the finish well before 9 a.m. 

Nice little piece on the Switzer 50th anniversary and women in the Boston Marathon in the WaPo today

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.