Masters Running

A First-Timer's Marathon Story (Read 409 times)

Jlynne

Truthfully? I never thought I'd be writing one of these. But it was one of the best experiences of my life and if you don't mind, I'd like to share it with you.

I decided to sign up for Twin Cities last May after running a PR at the CellCom half marathon in Green Bay. My son and his wife eagerly registered with me, and then the hard part started..... We had a wicked hot and humid summer in Green Bay. For people like Spareribs and Bill who are used to running in this type of weather, it would probably not be an issue. But I'm someone who does best in temps around 40-50° Anything over 60? I'm toast. The weather wasn't the only problem. There was that plantar fasciitis thing at the beginning of June that took me out for around 6 weeks. I seriously considered not running TCM but when I found out I couldn't defer, get my $ back or transfer my bib # to another runner, the cheap side of me took over. And, the PF cleared up a little. So with a little over 2 months left to train, I got back at it. I tried to not add too many miles with the weeks I had left but soon found myself running out of time. So my longest run was only 18.5. Once. I knew that not having at least one 20 miler was going to come back to haunt me. Little did I know how much!

We left for Minneapolis on Friday and spent the weekend at the Westin on 6th Street. Saturday we did the expo and had a wonderful lunch and afternoon with the RA folks. Being a first timer, all the seasoned marathoners willingly shared their experiences and gave me some good advice about what to expect. It was great meeting everyone - and even better putting faces to the personalities that post here at RA. I'll never forget your kind words and would just like to say "thanks" for making me feel like a real runner.

Lots of noise, parties and even police ejecting people on our floor at 1:00 AM on Sunday morning cost me a good night's sleep the night before the race.  I felt like I was awake the whole night but do remember having a couple "classic" pre-race nightmares: can't find my shoes, late and can't find the starting line, I think everyone has these?

I've never eaten before a race - stomach issues, so I had a Gatorade energy drink and a half cup of coffee before we left the hotel. I knew not having proper nutrition was going to be a problem but thought the Gu and Cliff blocks would get me through.

The start of the race was incredible. My DS, DIL and I were at the back of corral 2 and it took us almost 10 minutes to get to the starting line. I knew they would run a faster pace than me, but we got the first mile in together - mostly because it was so congested they couldn't make any headway. When things cleared out a little, I never saw them again! I did see Deb, and we ran together for a while but I was really trying to keep the kids within view. Lost 'em!  My goal was to try and keep a 10:00 pace. Slow for all of you, I know. But with little training and the bad habit of going out too fast, I thought 10:00 was something I could manage. I felt strong through the first half and my watch showed a 10:17 pace. I was still holding strong through mile 16, then made the mistake of stopping at the 17 mile mark to use the bathroom. Not only did that cost me 6 or 7 minutes, my legs (and mind) started to stiffen up. Walked through the water stops at miles 18 and 19, and then the hills came.....

I hit the proverbial wall big time and pretty much had to run/walk the last 10K. No one told me the last portion of the race was uphill!!  When I got on Summitt Ave and heard the crowd yelling "you can do it green shorts!" that helped. When I saw the hill going down to the finish, I knew I was going to make it!  Official time - 4:58:08, 49 out of 77 women in my age group, and under my goal of 5 hours. Never saw the sweeper bus!!

I tried to remember some of the great things that happened during the race. The old Viking football player Allen Page (now a supreme court judge in Minnesota?) playing the tuba around the 3 mile mark. The balloon bridge with the great music. The people wearing Packer clothing waving a Packer flag in Viking territory that I had to high five as i ran by. The guys in the kilts playing bagpipes on the bridge. The beautiful lakes and houses on Summitt Ave. Running over the Mississippi River. The most incredible crowd support I've ever experienced at a race. The guy running next to me wearing a plastic garbage bag. Things I'll never forget.....

Regrets? Yep. Wish I could have trained better. Wish I could learn how to properly fuel my body before a race like this. Wish I hadn't spent the first 30 years of my life being an overweight couch potato. But I did it. And I think I'd like to do it again. Smile

If you read this whole long story, thanks. For all of you who offered encouragement and kind words when I was sure this race wasn't going to happen, thank you. Now if I could just get my legs to go down stairs again soon.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Loved your report J.

Made me smile.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Slo

Wonderful report Jlynne !

I smiled all the way through it.  Your report....not the marathon

Here's a little secret.....I ran/walked the last 10k too!

Henrun

SmileSmileSmileJlynne, you brought out my smiles on a dreary, wet day (as I try to get out for a run). Congratulations-you did it. A very good start to marathoning.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I so happy that you did it JLynne!!!  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin    You'll never forget your first and how lucky to be able to do it with so many RA'ers, not to mention your DIL and DS!!     Congratulations on getting in under your 5 hour goal.   

Now, about that tatoo??   Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I literally have tears in my eyes as I finish reading your report.

I identify with you from memories of my first marathon and also from watching you the last 2-3 years in your growth as a runner.  Good stuff in both cases, but emotional experiences.

Your regrets probably mirror every person's life regrets not only in running but in other areas too.  None of us get it right 100% of the time.  There are always those times when we look back and wonder what we might have done to have improved a situation if ....if......if.......   But the fact remains, we accomplish much more with high goals than with no goals.     There is also the side of.......what if I HADN'T....etc.   In this case....What if you hadn't registered?    What if you hadn't even gotten in ONE 18 mile run?   What if you hadn't decided to run this race despite the obstacles that would have stopped others but  didn't stop you?  You would have missed out on so much if you hadn't gone ahead and run it.  All of those things you overcame to enjoy this experience of a life time......YOU ARE NOW A MARATHON RUNNER !!!!

Thanks for this report.   Thanks for being in RA.    Thanks for being YOU !

Vista / Joey

Vista

Regrets?  We will have No Regrets!  You did Great!  The Marathon is a tricky race with a lot of pieces of the puzzle that all have to be put together just so on race day.  I think you put them together very well indeed.  Congratulations Marathoner!

You are right about stopping late in the race.  It can be Very Hard to start back up.  Sometimes just continuing to run, no matter how slowly, works best.  Like Slo I took some walk breaks too!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

I've been looking forward to your RR, Jeanne!  Congrats on your 1st marathon - well done!  I like how Vista put it., "we accomplish much more with high goals than with no goals."  Cool that your DS and DIL ran it, too.  Is this the DIL who's pregnant?

Thanks for a great RR!  Makes me think about maybe running a marathon next year.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wooohooooo JLynne - YOU ARE A MARATHONER!!Smile

you did an awesome job and I am so happy for you!!   definitely made me smile through the whole report!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

It was great to meet you on Saturday.  We all had so much fun, and I'm glad you got some ideas from the others about the race.  Now this first one is over and there will never be another first one. You have learned a lot.  You also know the next one will be easier.  You will be better prepared and faster.  One of the biggest motivators for training for a marathon is the recollection of how bad it feels late in a marathon if you haven't run enough, so that's a piece of good news for you.

For a first-timer you did remarkably well, beating your time estimate too.  Nice going, and great report.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

This mirrors so much of the feelings I had about my first marathon. Feeling underprepared, having to run/walk the last 10K, etc.  but it just means that you will be an even better marathoner the next time. Each race comes with lessons. To go sub 5 in your first marathon is exceptional!!  and no regrets JLynne. Don't look back on what you could have changed - look forward to what you will change next time. and no regrets about being a couch potato - look at where you are at now and feel the pride in what you accomplished because you made the choice to change your lifestyle. many people haven't but instead just sit there saying "i wish i could do what she did" but lack the motivation to do something about it.

You are a marathoner! And a very good one at that! congratulations!!

Tammy

I'll never forget your kind words and would just like to say "thanks" for making me feel like a real runner.

Hey, what's this here.  You were a real runner before this marathon and meeting all these people you know!

You did a GREAT job considering your less than optimal training.

You did a GREAT job considering you didn't actually eat anything!

You have a GREAT attitude if you can cramp up and walk and still want to run another one someday.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker

Hi Jlynne,

There is never race report that has the same "glow" as a first-time marathoner's report, and yours continues that tradition. And there is rarely the same satisfaction and sense of accomplishment as when you are able to say "I DID IT!" upon completing your first marathon. My hat is off to you for not letting any of the challenges you faced this year deter you from reaching your goal. Congratulations, marathoner!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jlynne, your legs will improve.  Some people find the second day after is the worst.  Mine are feeling better each day now.  I may even run tomorrow.  Sore legs are a badge of honor.  With better training next time, they won't be as bad.  But, as someone once said (paraphrasing here), Nobody ever woke up one morning not knowing whether they'd run a marathn the day before.

Great report.  I'm so happy you were able to do it.  Now on to 30 years of racing!

SteveP

You ran well and it sounds like a wonderful event! I hung on every word with a hint of envy. Thanks so much for your RR, runner Jlynne...Little Will has a grandmother he can be proud of.

SteveP