Masters Running

Wednesday Sleepy Runs (Read 484 times)

Slo

kneeling down in front of the family altar and praying Hail Mary 7 times was enough punishment for us kids...no need for spanking.
    Geesh does that one bring back memories. We used to have to kneel, hold our nose to the wall and recite prayers.....Oddly enough, I am quite fond of all those prayers.

and on the parental punishment subject, my mom had THE WOODEN SPOON, about 2 feet long, that was mentioned when discipline was required.  Can't ever remember her actually using it, though.

Ours was a wooden slat from some weird fencing, about 3" wide, maybe 1/4" thick, and probably 2 feet long.  My name on one side, my brother's on the other, and it lived over the door jamb between the kitchen and the hallway.  Couldn't miss it when you walked into our tiny house.

Erika - My mom went after my brother with a belt one time and bruised him.  My dad said she was inconsolable for hours.  My brother was a tasmanian devil who worked every last one of my parents' nerves.  His story(ies) is too long for here, but my dad told him one time: "You see my bald head?  You see your mother's gray hair?  It's all because of you!"  So true, so very, very true!

Tons of Hail Mary's?? Oh yeah, that'd make you sit up and fly right!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

My dad spanked me once ..... my sister cried and cried.     Not me, nope not gonna make me cry ..... back then anyways.  Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

A Poem

When I was a little boy just so high

Mommy took a little stick and made me cry

Now I'm a big boy and Mommy can't do it

But daddy takes a big stick and goes right to it.

LOL the things you remember.

wildchild

Carolyn

5.3 easy miles at lunchtime, 10:33 avg pace, 70° and sunny.

I was never hit as a kid, but there was never any cause... I was such a perfect child.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

fattozig,  Yeah, well the State of NJ had me sign a paper twice saying I'd never use corporal punishment on my children (part of the adoption process).   But like most things in the Great State on NJ, corporal punishment isn't defined, at least on that paper I signed.  

In a few years, you can do what my friends did--this works once you get to the taking away of privileges as punishment.  Then you post the number for NJ Social Services in their bedrooms and tell 'em they can call with complaints. 

Erika, keep me posted on your coaching techniques!  What are you planning to do at Seattle?

Carolyn, too funny.  O, you were serious.....I see..........

Nice taking a break with y'all.  Thanks for the support while I grind away here.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                Just a quick note as I have to get to bed.  Today was the closest I have come to running, sort of.  I had 30 minutes to do a 20 minute walk to my meeting today.  I asked the hotel folks at the front desk how to get where I needed to go.  First they spent 5 minutes telling me is was such a long walk, twenty minutes, and I wasted time telling them yes I know but how do I get there.  Finally, one says here on the map is where we are and here is where you are going.  You can take this shortcut through the woods on this path . . . Like an idiot I listened.  As they say the longest distance between two points is a shortcut.   An hour and a half later I showed up at my destination!    My fault for being dumb enough to listen and not insist on asking what well marked roads to take.  Argh!  Good thing my time to speak was not until the afternoon!  Well night all, tomorrow I head back home to CT.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Bill, you okay or just post-marathon blues?  And stay away from dg.  I saw her first.

Everyone seems down in the dumps today.  Not me.

Track day!  I may have been premature to back off the pace last week.  I think I was just tired from the 20-miler I had done a few days before.  So today it was 3 x 800 and 3 x 1000, all at 8 min. pace with a 200 jog rest after each.  Did it all at 7:59 pace and got 8.5 total miles, followed by a flex session at the Y.  It's clear and crisp today. No humidity after last night's huge storms.  Now back to my real job.  Spareribs

^^Nice workout. Except for the "back to work" part.

I was feeling the PMB's, but went for 7.6 miles on remarkably fresh-feeling legs (where did those come from?), 1:07:34, 8:52 m/m.

Crabbiness gone. And my shampoo. And milk. And cat food.

Must. Go. Shopping.

Walt

evanflein

Amy, I'm planning on running a marathon. You?

(heh, I know what you meant. I'm taking it easy and seeing how things feel. If it means a lot of walking, so be it.) So far my coaching methods seem to involve being available to run when he's ready, and lots of encouragement and reinforcement of the "slow and steady" mantra... I'll keep you posted.

TammyinGP

Erika, maybe you just wanna lollygag around the back of the mid packers with me 

Tammy

Tammy - For some reason I can't send you a message.  I have a legal world question for you.  Could you please email me at fatozzig at yahoo dot com so I don't have to bore everyone here with my questions?

Thanks ~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I emailed you from my hotmail account, but I'm going to try and send you a message from here also to see if you get it.

Tammy

xor

Nice long runs for srlopez

Why, you must be pa-sychic!  I had not run by that point in the day, but I have now.

13ish miles with my FunWithTempos Daniels workout in the middle:

4x12min tempo pace w/ 2 min E. 

Beautiful day for it too.

SteveP

A Poem

When I was a little boy just so high

Mommy took a little stick and made me cry

Now I'm a big boy and Mommy can't do it

But daddy takes a big stick and goes right to it.

LOL the things you remember.

I'm gonna write a new Country song:

"Back when I was a fetus,

I best recollect our daddy used to beat us."

The rest needs work

On a more serious note, if any of all y'all have a chance to met DG or Byll. It's worth it. Top shelf folks they are.

SteveP

Erika - I had a nice this morning when I opened the thread to the pic of your kitty.

Mojo is returning, ever so slowly.  PT this afternoon - a little deep muscle pressure (or whatever they call it) loosened up my calves and ankles enough that I could run 3 this evening before my feet started to get numb.  And a rather sproinky 3 for me, too. 

I am officially addicted to my iPhone.  I treated myself to it on Saturday, and I think my thumbs have already grown a few millimeters from all of the time I'm spending on it.  Tracking calories on sparkpeople, looking at maps of runs on google earth, rocking facebook and my mail from school.  The young'uns that I teach with (20-somethings)  think I'm pretty cool for someone "so old." 

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com