Masters Running

Sept. 1 Labor Day runs - or runs that are laboring (Read 378 times)

Happy Labor Day! Back home in Newburyport, Massachusetts after a weekend in Cornwall, NY helping a friend stain his log home. Working on my own place in the Adirondacks for a week before that. 6 miles cross-country today at Maudslay State Park. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      Happy Labor Day! I am back at home after the Stratton-Faxon 20k in New Haven, CT. This also served as the USATF championships, so some seriously fast folks were milling about with the rest of us. I'll write a separate race report once the official results are up later today. I am pleased and went under 1:30 which was my goal. At least my watch has 1:29:53 on it...we'll see what the chip says. Iron J and I crossed together which was cool as our names were announced together as well. I ran the first mile with Twocat who zoomed ahead at about 1.5 miles. I saw his singlet about 200 meters ahead the whole way but didn't close the gap. I'll let him tell you how he did, but his smile was pretty broad when I saw him in the finish area---chip removal space. Very touching at the start as Joe Shay, the father of the late Ryan Shay, spoke to us at the start before the national anthem. A good day---clear, sunny, and quite the party atmosphere. I never saw Henrun and Marj, but hope they had a great day as well. More details later---just wanted to say hello and happy running or resting. CNYrunner/Karin
      lamerunner

Happy Labor Day Labor is about right. After months of marathon training and little speed, I got the bright idea to run a 5k this morning. I did not have high expectations but they still exceeded my performance. 22:20, one of the slowest in recent years and my fitness is good. I just cannot run very fast it seems. ' I did run a hilly 21 on Friday followed by a hilly 7 miile recovery run Saturday. The 21 was only 6 days after a 22 miler. I did take it easy yesterday but my legs were not that fresh. I guess it was speedwork. And maybe a signal that for the last month of training, I should cut back some of the very long runs, refresh the legs and throw in more tempo. I have about 13 weeks of long runs under my belt, 4 of which were over 20 miles. I did a two mile warm up and three mile cool down so about 8 for the day. Considering a bike ride; it is too nice out. .. and too late to go hike.
        evanflein

Lamerunner, I think what you had were seriously high expectations given all the long runs you've done! And nothing slow about 22:20 anyway... Our gym is closed on Labor Day. They're closed on a lot of days that people have the day off of work and could actually go spend some time there. Go figure. My knee hurts a little where I fell on it, and it's got bruises and "nicks" in it that I didn't see last night. I guess if that's the only result of yesterday's tumble, that ok. Going to putter around the house for a bit today, then maybe head out to the lake... over an hour drive away, but SIL has a cabin out there.

The Jogger

Mary, now you're showing off Smile Well done on yesterday's run 18 wow and the bike ride today. Just had to come in and post that. Busy, busy, busy, 3 union meetings today and 2 reast days on the trot....... Roy
              Did my HM this morning. To even out the karma in this group with Karin and Twocat having great races, I ran what turned out to be probably the second worst feeling race ever. (First-worst feeling race would be Eugene, but that was at least a whole marathon!) That's what you get for racing while you are still recovering from a mild stomach bug and likely still running a low grade fever. Sorry for the whining. I might do a RR for some much needed catharsis.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

be careful evanika, you're in Equinox month now. Labor day: 13.1 miles - 2:10+ started off first five miles of annual Labor Day Half Mary with 9 minute miles to try to stave off inevitable two hour plusser for this first time in this event at a time of the year I'm usually in pretty good shape but slipped to 10m/m from miles 5 - 11, 11m/m miles 11 and 12 and 13m/m for the last 1.1 miles. Stupidly, another 1/4 mile and I could have finished with goddesse enke. However, though cloudy/humid in high fifties/low sixties during event, I was so cold at finish that the best part of the day was ride in her little chartreusse but roomy bug from Woodinville to Bellevue for Seattle Express four minutes later. thanks beautiful swan goddess with white signet, . . I mean singlet; oh, for the fare too. Smile Missed Franci for the first time in several years at this one. It's three marathons and three ultras later but last year at this one she was thinking maybe she'd try a marathon. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hah! You almost beat me to posting Tetsujin...I am so glad you didn't shiver yourself to death while waiting for the bus...I wonder why we had such similar downhill races....durn humidity makes it feel so much hotter. Now I have to go look up signet...boy my brain is fried.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

As CNYrunner already mentioned today was the New Haven 20K. It was great to see CNYrunner again, she and her friends are wonderful people. BTW, she too looked extremely happy post race! So congratulations CNYrunner! My time from last year was off by about 3.5 minutes. Sigh. But at least today I can legitimately blame the heat! Last year the average temperature during the race was a relatively cool 57° and today? A balmy 70°! Ouch! Despite my time differential from last year I am still pretty happy with how I did. Somebody I race against occasionally came in ahead of me by 31 seconds last year and this year the gap was only 15, which makes me think with some adjustment for the heat my two times were comparable. (See above about blaming the weather! Cool) So, as I promised yesterday, here is my guaranteed minor bit of good news: I have buried the pink pace bunny for the year! I got ahead, and stayed ahead and over the finish line ahead of it! Now to hop off and get yet another bite to eat! Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I just got a phone call telling me to pack for two weeks and report to my National Guard armory tomorrow at 10 a.m. Something was mentioned about military activation for hurricane support. Roll eyes Maybe I can get out of this. But if not, I may not be able to post for some time. I have a lot of packing to do tonight. Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                        ...DH//.......glad to hear you're back.............. ..........our 278th Regimental Combat Team of the Tenn. Guard is going back to Iraq for it's 2nd tour in 2009........enjoy the hurricaine......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

DH...Gulf Coast beats Kosovo anytime...
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            Good Luck Dark Horse. I am glad you'll be a part of the hurricane recovery effort. I know it's hard work, but you'll be closer at least. (((((Enke)))))))---writing is cathartic no matter the result. You gut out the races (no pun intended) when you aren't feeling 100% and that's never easy. Hang in there. So sorry about the closed gym Erika. Canada J can never race on holidays since she is a co-owner of two health clubs with her husband and the holidays are the busiest days. She was at work at 4 AM today. I'll have her call your club! ....basking in the afterglow of a veggie lasagna dinner and a fine red wine. Reality hits tomorrow. Karin

King of PhotoShop

Good luck Horse. Although this storm is not supposed to be as dangerous as Katrina, still it will pack a wallop down there, and this won't be as bad as your last deployment, and for you may be one you will find gratifying, being of direct help to those in need. Thanks again for doing this. Spareribs
                                DH I realize this must be very tough on you and your family. FWIW, I am sure all of the people you will be helping will appreciate your efforts for the rest of their lives. You certainly have my strongest possible admiration for doing what you do.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/