Masters Running

Wednesday 6/23 - Seattle Taper Madness is increasing ... (Read 349 times)

Today is Day 1 of my latest training experiment. Something will work eventually ...

1.6 miles easy followed by 12 x 1/4 mile at Tempo pace with 45 seconds jog between each. Ended with 2 miles easy cool down. Target 1:51 per 1/4 mile.

1:56
    1:57
    1:53
    1:56
    1:55
    1:53
    1:52
    1:48
    1:48
    1:50
    1:50
    1:46

Not bad at all for a warm day.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Not bad at all Byll!

2 mile wu with Tory and Sadie at 10:17 pace. Then 8 mi GA in 1:07:43 (8:27 pace) Splits were all +/- :05.

Shirtless and no HRM. 66F, 75% humidity.

Overal: 10 miles in 1:28:14 (8:49 pace). Felt good!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning!

Boy, the air is so very thick this morning.   It was a good morning for a run dispite that .... because .... my DH decided to get up and join me today!!   He went a mile which is a good start as he has a long way to go to get into shape.   I have to just keep encouraging him and see where it goes.

4 miles for the Brinkster and me.  9:54 avg. pace.  I kept my shirt on despite the weather.  Wink

Happy Hump Day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Way to go Bill...day 1 of experiment seems great.

Hi Shirtless Perch, Like Mary I kept my shirt on and greeted the humidity and the 27th day of rain (out of the last 33) with a track workout). Ran 3.5 miles to the athletic fields at my alma mater, then 5x.75 mile at 7:00 pace or close (goal now is to set the pace with the first one and try not to strain---quiet torso, fast feet, consistency) I hit the fast loops at 5:04, 5:06, 5:06, 5:06, 5:04, recovery interval was 2:30 shuffle jog. The .75 lop is a cinder/gravel path that encircles the outdoor track and soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey fields). In college we called these BFLs (Big ^^%$ Laps). I felt steady the whole way. Ran home and it's 12 plus on the day.

After a few days of in-state work travel it's off to PA this afternoon.

See y'all this weekend

Go Seattle folks! Go! Have fun, good luck and Rock it!

wildchild

Carolyn

Speedy intervals for Byll and Karin!  And Perch, awesomely consistent splits. 

Mary, it's great that your DH ran a mile with you!  My DH never runs at home, but for some reason when he's away for work, he runs.  He just feels like he needs the exercise more when he's living in a hotel.  But since he's not really conditioned for it, he gets ITB pain after 2-3 miles. I tried to tell him to start slower and ease into a running program, but he just thinks he can go out and run.  He's definitely stubborn enough to be a real runner!

I had another awesome trail run after work on the way home.  There was a huge thunderstorm in town, moving east, so it had already passed over the mountains by the time I got up to the mountain park.  It was cool and damp, not too muddy, and very green and beautiful.  4.25 miles, avg pace 11:30 on hilly single track.  I even ran most of the last long hill up to the parking lot!  One day last week when I was running hard up the last part of this hill, a girl on a mountain bike who was waiting to ride down the trail said "Way to finish up strong on this hill!"  Made me smile, and I think of that comment every time I charge this hill now, get a big dumb grin on my face, and run harder.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

RAW: 4 miles with these in the middle.

400m  155; 7:42 pace
              400m 1:45; 7:02 pace
              200m  in 55; 7:22 pace

200m in 55; 7:22 pace

6 hours later, at midnight, I ran 2 easy recovery miles right after I said bye-bye to our host son. We will miss the kid. It has been a fun adventure to have him in our lives.

I am getting excited about this weekend!!!!

Look at bregarcito run fast. Great job!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Happy Battle of Bannockburn Day, everyone!

Ran 7.4 in max HHH this morning with a group of 6. We ran some trails that I had previously only hiked or XC skiied on, so it was different to run them for a change. It was shady and cooler back in the woods, but unfortunately the hills more than made up for it, and by the end we were all dripping a summertime combo of sweat, sunscreen, and bug spray. Overall pace was about 10:16, which was good for the terrain and conditions. I was pretty much all in by the end and really need to take a day off tomorrow (ran 6 on Monday, biked 25 yesterday).

One of the women that I met on this run was from Colombia, and she joked that when we ran to the top of what is locally called "Mt. Sheldon" (maybe a hundred feet elevation), it's a lot different from what qualifies as a "Mt." for someone from the Andes 0. If wildchild ran here, she'd probably laugh at our "hills" too. I've really enjoyed meeting all these new people from my club lately -- they're as nice as you folks in the forums, but with the advantage of live conversation and comraderie.

Good running today, everyone, and take it easy in those conditions!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Bill – I thought your last plan worked marvelously – you have gotten much faster.  Just because it didn’t all come together on race day doesn’t mean you weren’t extremely well-trained.  You just had an off day, which is so easy to do with a marathon: so many factors have to come together perfectly for a great result.  I’m thinking Columbus might be your race.  Btw, I love today’s intervals.  How are you choosing your tempo pace?

Runningsmarter – re that old thread on speedwork and marathon training – can you post on it to bring it up on today’s page?  I’d like to revisit it myself.

CNYrunner – nice run today - I continue to be interested and impressed by your workouts.

Ultraposai – you have gotten so speedy - I was just wondering this morning if I will be able to keep up with you in Seattle.  Whatever race day brings, I am so looking forward to celebrating the day with my RA friends. 

Wildchild - way to charge that hill!

7.05 miles for me this morning in 70°, with miles 3 and 4 at (8:36, 8:32), ave overall pace 9:21.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

"Btw, I love today’s intervals.  How are you choosing your tempo pace?"

Smarter people than me (Tinman) are choosing them for me. They chose them so well I hit them more or less right on.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Wildchild - Great run on the hill!

Mary - Very nice that your DH went out with you this a.m.  Keeping fingers crossed he sticks with it.

I was so stinking tired this a.m. after little sleep last night, that I bagged my 3-mile run and just concentrated on strength/core.  I just got the book "Body for Life" and have been perusing through it.  A lot of the exercises shown in there I'm already doing (except those showing gym equipment, then I some variations with my Bowflex and free weights).  So I upped my weights and am incorporating some different stomach/back work, and we'll see where it takes me.  I can tell that I'm going to be sore tomorrow, but a nice sore.

I'm  also gonna start looking for a bench for a couple of those exercises, and am going to try and talk The Hub into letting me install a wall chin up bar in my workout room.  So hopefully all this, with some minor changes in diet, things will start to change for the better. 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Nice times there, Mr. Byll. I'd say the times were chosen well.

Steve is getting back into running machine-mode, very good to see!

Doug, 100ft "mountain?" Oh my... I must live on a peak! The last two miles back to my house climb 300 ft., and some days I just don't wanna do it.

More rain today... we sure needed it but it's just been so steady. Started yesterday after lunch and hasn't stopped. I know others have had more than that by a long shot (didn't CNY say 27 days out of the last 33?) so I'm not really complaining, but we don't usually get much rain here in June. So, being the rain-running-wienie that I am, I'm heading to the gym at lunch to crank out about 4 miles on the treadmill. Haven't run on a treadmill for ages, it seems.

Got almost all my stuff picked out to take and will make final decisions and pack tonight. Checked the forecast and it's looking perfect... high for the day of 74°F (but that'll be after we're done), partly cloudy, 40% humidity... ahhh, sure hope that holds!

DH and I hit the 20 year mark today. The fun fact of the day is that our wedding day looked just like this: totally socked in with low gray clouds, constant drizzle, low-lying area flood warnings... a total flashback, minus the cake.

Happy Anniversary Erika.  Tell your DH to bake you a cake. 

Bill

evanflein

Nah, we're going to Seattle instead!!
                            Mariposai

Happy Anniversary to Erika and Peter. We will celebrate this special day with you guys in Seattle.

With your anniversary, and SRLopez' b-day we have all the excuses we need to CELEBRATE!!!!

Holly, nah, I am not speedy, remember those are just 400 and 200 meters.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

The School Year That Never Ends finally has, and I'm feeling a little like a balloon after at least half of the air has been let out of it.  So I'm resting today and having dinner (and drinks!) with a friend tonight as the last hurrah before I modify my training plan to include healthy eating as well as morning, rather than evening, runs.

I see the podiatrist later this afternoon and then have PT right afterward.  Hopefully the last hurrah there, as well.  I'm counting on them to declare me well enough to continue to deal with my tendonitis on my own through the summer. 

Tomorrow is "excavate the house in order to properly clean it" day, two things I can't wait to accomplish.

Happy Hump Day, all,

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com