Masters Running

The Worst and the Best of 2008 (Read 437 times)

Best running moment of 2008....finish running first marathon.....finishing it was maybe 2nd best. Worst running moment of 2008....There is no "worst" in my running dictionary. Cool
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Best: Atlantic City Half Marathon PR by 30 min or so... Worst: My son's teething early last year. I don't even want to count how far I ran on how few hours sleep. I can't even look at that part of my log. Dead

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

HermosaBoy

Best -- several PRs, but most happy with the 16:45 5k. Worst -- falling 1/4 mile from the house and cracking ribs while running.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Maniac 505

Worst;, being out of action almost all year with foot issues it began in Dec, 2007 (actually started long before than, that is just when I was shut down) absolute worst was middle of the year when the mileage was just beginning to ramp back up, I got my new Orthos and they wrecked my feet again and shut me down for most of the rest of the year. Best was late November when I could finally begin running pain free again. (and I just finished a marathon with my orthos, and it was pain free, so I already know what my best of 2009 will be!!!) Dave

Marathon Maniac #3309

Best - May - 50 mile trail race and June 24 hour race Worst ... Downhill from there ... never got any ambition or traction on training the rest of the year. Best ... Since I never got into good shape, I ran some marathons I would have never run - For fun and not for time. Worst ... Was so out of shape & fat by October, I skipped the Ultra-Centric 24 hour race Worst ... I seriously considered stopping running and questioned why I do it Best ... I love to run even if it is in half ass shape
            Dopple Bock, you sure are a unique and enteresting Fella....crazy with the miles you run sometimes. Then the stories like you just posted makes you even more insane...in a good way. TBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Worst: Getting achilles tendonitis, which interrupted my training for my first HM. Best: Run/walking the HM, anyway, and having a great time. Running over 1000 miles this year, and enjoying the reaction of people when I tell them that. Running 4.3 miles with DD10 in Hyde Park. Running 10 miles along the shore in Cape Town, South Africa. Reading all your posts and marveling at how much you do!

flatland mountaineer

Best Going 1-2-3 with my winter run class buds in my home town race. Getting PR's at ALL my goal races being done with the dental reconstruction that plagued my previous racing season. Friendship and support on this forum Boulder Bolder Worst 6 months of AT

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

My best for 2008 .....has to be my first marathon at Bayshore 3:51:10. Smile Big grin My worst moment was ..falling on a run injuring my shoulder 5 weeks in front of my 2nd marathon attempt and causing me to DNS. Sad Black eye I also posted a PR in almost every distance last year. 2008 was by far my best year of running ever. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Best: hitting a new PR for monthly miles in December. Worst: not hitting a monthly PR until December. Wink I won't talk about January Sad

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

The "Worst" was the big bonk at mile 16 during the Eugene Marathon. Everything else about the Eugene weekend was great (perfect really), but the bonk sucked. The "Best" was probably my 1:44:59 PR in the HM in December. Not so much because it was a (small) PR, but because it told me I was out of my running funk and ready to try again. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

2008 was a great year of running for me. PRs in every distance, but this wasn't hard as I had only run one 5K and a couple of 10Ks before last year. I ran my first two half marathons, and got 1st in my AG at the first one, which made up for the bonk and slow time. Then I PR'd at the second one by over 10 minutes! My DD started running regularly, and some of my favorite runs were done with her. I didn't really have any worst running moments - sure, there were some carpy runs, but no major injuries or mishaps, only a rolled ankle or two.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks for sharing, everyone. I'm enjoying reading of your successes.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks fazzie. ps - in addition to all the goodies I`m collecting on a current extented trip to Tokyo to use for possible prizes for the planned talent contest at the June RnR (possible categories belly-dancing, digital toes, storytelling/poetry, running excuses, etc.), i`m thinking of you for some reason at almost every train station where the popular promotional give-away is little pocket packs of tissues that might be handy in some of your upcoming ultras. Contact me at jon at runningbarefoot dot org. A. bests 1. longest barefoot run (50K) 2. breaking 500 miles (531.2) for the fourth time still on as little training miles as possible (103 nonevent miles) B. worst - thong malfunctions in two ultras, prematurely fizzing one. C. apology to goddess category - being a little skeptical when my 5K/10K and sometime half mary idol francesca says at the January 2008 Resolution 5K Fun Run she wants to run a 100K when her longest previous run had been a single marathon a couple of years ago. Now she`s done 100K and 52 miles (in less than two weeks in May 2008 to become a Marathon Maniac), 50 miles and several marathons all because she once saw some runners in Italy doing what turned out-to-be a famed 100K race and she thought, "hey I`d like to do that some day." Kind of like posie saying how she felt the same when she saw the Portland Marathon about 20 years ago too and finally got around to doing it herself in 2007 (and 2008). Not many people who think ultras and marathons are normal before they do `em. bravissimo.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

"older but not dead yet"

2008 was a big year for me with traveling and racing. BEST = EAS : "The Relay" in Santa Cruz, CA with a Nike sponsored team, Gore-tex TransRockies Race ( 6 day stage race, 105 miles and altitudes up to 12,650 ft.. , running the Tahoe Rim Trail, doing the San Francisco Half marathon and setting new post-retirement PR's and all this at 60!! WORST = the recovery from the TransRockies run; took me close to 2 months! plus lingering achilles tendon issues. Alex
                              Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
                                Tet - I sent you an email. Thanks for thinkin' of me. I'm always intrigued that anything that has to do with tissues as my nose runs pretty much 24/7, regardless of whether or not I'm running. If I'd bought stock in Kleenex years ago, I'd be a very rich woman today. Smile

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance