Masters Running

Thurs 9/11 (Read 556 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Ribs Do you have any suggestions on what is best - should I shoot for a nice easy warmup then several miles at or close to mp with a faster finish to get the total to near mp? I have always like to finish strong as that helps with my confidence and I think it gets me used to running hard on tired legs.
    Not to high jack your post mainerunnah, but I have the same question with my Marathon approaching. I figured also sort of easing into the run - then MP - and "hopefully" a kick at the end to finish at MP. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Dark Horse, you nailed it, IMO (which may or may not be worth much).
        Mainerunnah and Tim---I can't give you a Ribs answer (heaven forbid I incur more fines or his wrath) , but here is what I do with MP runs and I do lots of them. In fact my training is based on nailing pace and knowing my pace without a Garmin or even a watch in the latter stages of marathon training. I try to nail MP for the entire workout section rather than averaging it out with a fast finish. I think fast finish runs are critical, but that's a different workout for me where I'll do a long run at say 9:00 pace and then work on a fast finish that's at MP or faster for the last 5 miles or so I think of an MP training run as one where you train your body to maintain speed without huge variation over the long miles. The Deena Kastor metronome method. The fast finish workout trains you to shift gears when you are fatigued and ready to pack it in. I don't know if that helps, but I thought I would give it a shot. Let's hope that Ribs got the green light at the doctor and went right out for a run----that's why he's not posting. I can see the headlines now: "Expert runner apprehended by Dallas police for running through town with just the examining table sani-wrap......" 44 years ago I came screaming into the world (in Stafa---a village near Zurich Switzerland). Legend has it that I was ready to run then and I guess I never stopped. My mother said I never crawled. I just got up at 10 months and started trotting. Who knows! I do know that my parents thought I was going to be a boy and they planned to name me after my father----Kermit. My Swiss birth certificate just has "baby girl" on it as they didn't come up with my name for six weeks! Thanks for all the kind wishes. Back to work..... Karin
        lamerunner

Good afternoon. Lurking the last few days, kind of busy at work and running was not going well. I overdid it a bit last week, had a horrible 8 mile run Saturday ( Cape Cod Canal path, 80 degrees, 100% humidity) then a very tough 22 on Sunday from which I could not seem to recover. I think there were sleep and hydration issues. Today was a bit better though. I slept in and then ran on the TM and ended up with 10 miles, the middle 6.5 in a faster progression style run. 2 x 8:19, 2 x 7:47, 2.5 x 7:35; 2 variable from 7:18 down to 6:53 then 1.5 very slow cool down with the last .2 walking. HR went down fast, from 155 at the end of the running to 108 after the .2 walk. So I may live after all, just have to be a bit smarter . Maine, I suggest starting with an easy pace, then do MP for a few miles, maybe a bit faster for a couple of miles then a cool down, or a fast finish with some sort of jog or walk after. I am running the Portland Maine race too and have been working a bit on pace. It is almost Friday. I am with Ribs on 9/11. My husband was in Seattle, having flown across the country on business on 9/10. I was home with a two year old and an 8 year old. Hard thing to deal with alone with the kids. It makes me mad and sad to think of it although I certainly respect those who do something to commemorate.
          lamerunner

PS Happy birthday Karin! I am jealous you were born in Switzerland. I love it there, at least for hiking and climbing. I have not spent much time in the cities.
              Thanks Lamerunner---good workout by the way and smart how you pulled it back from before. I am up against the red line in training and so happy to bring the miles down soon. I don't have many memories of Switzerland, but it's beautiful there. We came to the States in late 1968 just after I turned five. My mother just sent me my father's sketch books from his years there (1958-1968)---he was an architect-----and the drawings of where we lived are among my most precious and prized possessions. Wie immer, Karin P.S. Enke---I saw your note on the birthday thread....we could have many hilarious stories to swap. Nobody in my house has a last name....lots of first names strung together. My son comes close as he is named for my great grandfather and my husband's grandfather---same name---different dude obviously, but still. We should move South where everyone has last names and no first names Big grin (Just got off the phone with a Jackson Smith Chandler III!)
              annied

TWOCAT: I am running REACH THE BEACH also. What is the name of your team? Maybe you have already left. We don't start until 2 pm tomorrow.
                munchkn883

Went out for a short 2.5 walk. Not much....my back and hips were hurting so bad yesterday and last night I didn't think walking would be possible for me today.
                  wildchild

Carolyn

Just skimming the daily today but did anybody else appreciate the irony of the local brewer starting off with sobering thoughts?
                    Big grin Tall, sounds like a yummy dinner - are you cooking for your new girlfriend? How are things with her? Mariposai, my DD is taking health class this semester. Their current assignment is making power point presentations about drugs - she's doing Ecstasy. They focus on drug mechanisms and side effects. Good stuff. Speaking of power points, how did your doc like yours, Spareribs? Sarge, congrats on 1000 miles! Dark Horse, well put. I agree 100%. I ran 5.5 miles at lunch today, and tried my first wave run. I'm a little tired after yesterday's race but I ran miles 2 and 4 faster than I expected. Paces were 10:17 - 8:55 - 10:29 - 8:55 - 10:39 - 9:50 last half mile. Average pace 9:50.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Gordon, very sharp suit, and looking good! I like the 3 button style on you. Bet you nailed the interview. On the subject of greyhounds, they are so NOT running dogs, in the way that retrievers and Tory and Brinkley are. Frank, just like Izzy before him, has one speed: all out sprint. That is about 35-40 mph. For about a quarter mile. I tried with both of them to get them to run with me and about the longest we ever got was a mile. After that, they become acting dogs, doing their best to look beleaguered and exhausted to all who pass by. The big brown eyes stare out from the head, tilted to the side as the dog limps (I am so not exaggerating) along, hoping to inspire a call to the Humane Society. My hope about 9/11 is that the survivors can find some sort of solace. This morning, listening to several discuss some of the memorials, it was sad to hear the angst and the dissatisfaction many feel about some of the tributes. I'd like to see the one in Boston, especially the cube with the names inside and the fragments above. Anyone find a photo anywhere? Happy Birthday, Karin! Hope you have a wonderful day and grand year ahead. Belated congrats, Tall--I was confused. The Sudbury reference made me think of Dark Horse, as there's a Sudbury in Mass., (next to Maynard, where I went to HS) and the horse thing and all.....then I realized the fog I was in, (similar to the one wherein I confused evanflein with erika Shocked). Anyway, I'm going to take a little vacation and should be back with my brain rested. TO the gym with me today after 5 sluggish miles yesterday. Those Yassos on Tuesday night were barking at me yesterday! grins, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        Good for you Roy. Aamos, tsk tsk. Spareribs
                        O no, what'd I do now, and do I hafta go to detention? Say- of course your doc's going to let you jog. Big grin
                        Masters 2000 miles

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

CONGRATULATIONS Sarge!! 1,004 was my magic number yesterday too. Do you have a good salmon recipe Tall? I have some to make too: I'm glad that you were able to get out for a walk today Munch. I saw this bumper sticker yesterday: The End of an Error Jan. 20, 2009 Cracked me up!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Wow - lots of Boomers hitting the 1,000 mark lately. Congratulations to all! 7.5 miles this morning, 9:35 pace. You could definitely feel fall in the air, and the leaves are already starting to turn colors here. Shocked This nagging leg injury will not go away, but I'm not going to stop running. I'm 56, and like a lot of posts lately, if I feel like I need to stop and walk for awhile, at least I'm out there doing what I love. Interesting takes on the 9/11 tragedy. The History Channel is supposed to be doing a special on it tonight - a two hour piece of witnesses' personal videos without an announcer - just the voices captured on film. I know most people just want to forget that day, but this looks like it might be worth a view. Roy - happy anniversary. That's a long time. My father was an alcoholic and put us kids (and my mother) through hell. What you did took a lot of courage. Mary - you have enough salmon to feed a small army there! What time is dinner??? My ex-husband just took our two sons to Canada for a week of fishing/bonding. Will be their last trip together before DS#2 leaves for boot camp next week. Happy birthday Karin! Ribs - good luck with the okay to start running again. I'm sure you'll pass the examination with flying colors. Enjoy your evening, everyone. Jeanne
                            wildchild

Carolyn

.....then I realized the fog I was in, (similar to the one wherein I confused evanflein with erika Shocked). Anyway, I'm going to take a little vacation and should be back with my brain rested.
                              Good luck resting your brain, Amy. I think you mean you confused Enke with Erika. Big grin Mary, I love that bumper sticker! I want one!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I Can Go The Distance

The End of an Error Jan. 20, 2009 Cracked me up!
                                How someone could put up a post like this on 9/11 of all days is beyond me. I thought this was suppose to be a running blog but lately there have been way to many political statements being made. I sorry, but I am leaving this forum. Good luck everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano