Masters Running

Tuesdaily 10.16.18 (Read 42 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - don’t know Ohio laws but your DD might be lucky the car

wasn’t seized and forfeited as an instrument of crime as some

overly zealous prosecutors have been know to do with entire

fishing vessels found with illegal crab.

Good luck.

Posie - good luck for another sub-five marathon.

Wasn’t your no. 1 we did in Portland 5:01?

Richland sounds flat but I doubt it.
    ps -enjoy your five hour marathons as long as you can.
    In the first of many, many vows that getting older
    has caused me to break, if I would have kept a vow
    never to run another marathon if it ever took five hours

to run 26.2 miles, I’d’ve missed the last 166 marathons

from 2003's first fiver at age 60 to the present.

13 miles pedaling for me today - what’s a old guy who's mostly been reduced to regular walking supposed to do in the fall splendor and sunshine that will soon turn into the impending dark and dreary winter when he can’t run 13 miles around the island at the drop of a hat anymore like my total hero Wildchild can still hammer out even up in the high altitude?  Why, do it on bike, or course.  I just wish I could ride Tramps' 20-or-40 mile rides at the drop-of-a-hat like in those days too. Have fun Blue-Ridging. I have no idea what it would be like so don't hesitate to post some pics, if possible

BTY - I may have broken vows to stop running at the five hour limit and never go into an indoor fitness club as long as the outside is still here but one vow I will never break is doing laps in a chlorinated pool as long as there are still lakes around for summertime swimming. However, I am very, very impressed with swimming so many laps now way more than my annual triathlon distances and your flip turns that would be as anathema to me as unnatural as wearing wet suits.  It’s a lot more impressive for you to learn them than for a kid of any age. I enjoy your impressive swimming stats almost as much as being in awe and swooning every time wildchild posts anything.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

It just seems wrong that your DD is carrying the responsibility for everyone that was in her car that night. How do they prove possession exactly?  Nice friends to make her the scapegoat for this whole nightmare 🙁

The car owner/driver is considered responsible for what is found in it, and the "friends" of course were not going to claim them as their own.

Tet - you are right, they can seize the car, but I think they only can do that if they prove that the car was being used in the sales of drugs.  The very small amount of marijuana they found is a minor misdemeanor, so the car is likely still safe.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Thanks all for your nice words - I think I dodged a bullet and the ankle seems to be ok. I easy jogged 2.5 miles this morning before heading to the airport, have been on it all day, and it's good - it's barely noticeable, and feels better than it did all yesterday. Whew.

Austin is dreary and wet and cold! Lol. The rain has mostly stopped until Thursday, and I'd like to get in a nice loop run tomorrow but I switched on the local news and they are talking about flooding around ladybird lake and the path (of course I have no idea where, it's 10 miles total...) So I guess I'll find out tomorrow Wink And I will go by the bat bridge too! I suppose if its flooded I'll turn around and go up by the capitol or something. And then hit Voodoo donuts... (I actually have a good part of the morning free. So, yay!)

Twocat - out of the orthotic!! Karen - out of the boot! So exciting! Take it easy, folks.

Anne

bioguy

Crazy day at work; got in 5 miles on a beautiful afternoon...

Got out of work late because I had a settlement conference for a Mississippi case all afternoon and I had to be available by phone to hand over the $$$.  Finally got it settled and did pretty well.

Gym after that-  1.3 miles on the treadmill slow running and 15 minutes on the AMT zero runner machine.  Some weights and now I'm home!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Got in 10K this evening after supper.   Fun to run at dusk...plus, my wife recently gave me a new, super-bright-yellow long sleeve tech shirt, just to be visible.   It felt safe...nice to know.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

BTY

Thanks for the encouraging words, Tet!  I'm probably immune to chlorinated water now after spending so many hours in the pool as a tow-headed youngun.

After 300 yards of warmup I did 4 repeats of the 100yd IM (butterfly/back/breast/crawl), then 200 yards of backstroke as a cool down.

Each IM interval was 4:00 - from 1:30 to 1:37 for the IM and from 2:23 to 2:30 for rest recovery HR to ~120.

The starts were from inside the pool, so diving in on the butterfly will definitely improve things.  In fact, I spent the last 20:00 or so after the cooldown practicing racing dives off of the starting blocks.  Just getting up there and not falling over was an accomplishment - no joke.  I haven't done racing dives since my childhood.  Freaked me out a little - thought I'd fall over sideways.

My daughter, a swim instructor. videoed me diving in and swimming a couple of strokes of butterfly.  It would appear to the casual observer that my strategy is to eliminate competition by literally eliminating the competition. I will see if I can get part of the video on here.

The last time I had this much fun swimming, I wasn't old enough to drive home afterward. 

spacityrunner

3.5 miles up and down a mountain 3 times...well, 1 mile was to the mountain and then a mile back..so only 1.5 up and down.  Supposed to be speed work...I was not speedy.  Great night for a run...finally stopped raining and the temp was 48.  A relief from the horrible humidity of Sunday.

Trails Rock!

anneb I almost forgot! One word, Franklin's. You may need to pool resources with others to have someone stand in line for you.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

Evening all! I'm way behind on my dailies. DW & I just returned from a road trip up to Michigan to see our son & his fiancee. It was the first long car ride with our new old dog Mistee & she did great. While up in Ypsilanti we made a day trip over to London Ontario for an art exhibition by Erica Dornbusch at the Westland Gallery. A lot of you all know her from the old CoolRunning forum days. Needless to say, two Erica Dornbusch originals were purchased & will now make their home in our house. Here's a pic of Erica with us in front of one of her paintings.

Also, I had a nice 16 mile run in irc this morning.

Paul

4 EZ

I had an hour between kid pickups today and did a short run then, so I could save my late afternoon for work. More Bat Boy stuff. Did you know Bat Boy helped the US military find Saddam Hussein's hidey hole? It was on the cover of a magazine!

Anne, good news on the ankle!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, back to summer-like conditions here (although not for much longer).  Low 70s when I ran this morning.  Went 5.6 miles, not sure of pace.  I wore a new pair of On Cloudflyers (2nd run in them).  Jury is still out.  Don't hate them, but not itching to buy the next pair either.  After work I went on a group bike ride.  Hilly route (about 1300' in 22.3 miles according to Garmin/Strava).  Started in dusk and it got dark pretty quickly.  I have lights on my bike and my person as well as refector belt(s)--The Air Force teaches us that reflector belts make everyone safe.

Surly (and Two Cat), I have the same thought process (that running elevates body temp like a fever).  Mentioned that to a running friend who's a doc (pulmonologist) and he doesn't share my opinion...but he didn't dismiss it either.

Have a great night everyone!

Mariposai

Anneb, I hope that Voodoo stop was worth it.

RunnerKSA, congrats on your success today.

Jeo618, How on earth can you run 10k after eating dinner?

BTY, I can't wait to see the  video.

What a lovely picture of our artist Erika. I am a friend of hers on Facebook. What an artist she is.

SurlyBill, Bat Boy, do explain...

Twocat, I celebrate your independence from your crutches and will always cheer you on to the next chapter of recovery.

After work today I welcome the freedom and the beauty of a gorgeous fall weather to go out and run 8 miles. My mariposai wings have to take advantage of running as much as I can this week, since next week is back to taper week for a marathon next weekend.

What is not to love about my frontier running route tonight.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

What a lovely picture of our artist Erika. I am a friend of hers on Facebook. What an artist she is.

Ok, it's Erica Dornbusch (with a "c") and that's why Ribs calls me Ek, to help tell us apart! Paul, that's a fantastic painting. I'd love to have an E original! La Tortuga has two or three, just love them.

Mariposai, that's a great shot. Love the moon up there.

We had heavy overcast skies and rain off and on all day. It finally cleared up at the end of the day so I got out just before 5 for 5.4 miles. Legs felt pretty good after the weekend. Hoping we get a couple dry days this week as we're pretty soggy.

It was 50° this morning though, which is warmer or the same temp as a lot of the U.S. today!

SteveP

That well-known MTA song has a really interesting less-known backstory.

And speaking of music, I thought this was an interesting graph. Other than 8-tracks and ringtones, my music use pretty much mirrors this pattern. Gave away all my vinyl, can't remember the last CD I bought, but I'm a Spotify fan these days.

21 on the bike this morning.

Busy week as I scramble to finish up things before we leave Thursday for a week of cycling and hiking in the Blue Ridge.  See you all on the other side!

Speaking of music...the Stray Cats are heading back to the studio and planning a tour. I've purchased their music on every format. I still feel the rush of powering a hybrid bike to the trails, running 6 trail miles on a sub 40 when I hear the energy from a string bass a guitar and a drum. When I'm working after hours, very few things motivate as well as Batmobile.

SteveP