Masters Running

Friday November 15, 2019 Daily (Read 42 times)

Tramps

Really? No one posting yet?

I'm saying "amen" to RCG so often this week that I feel like I'm in church again.

Gorgeous 34F morning here for my 5-miler in shorts.

Coincidentally, my 2009 Richmond Marathon shirt was at the top of the stack this morning, so I wore that. (What a difference a decade makes.** )  Racers there tomorrow should have IRC conditions, too.

Have a great weekend.

**ETA: Actually, for the record, I just remembered that 2009 was the year I DNF'd Richmond...warm, humid, nauseous. My only marathon DNF. I had a do-over in Philly 8 days later.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Any temps in the 30's is not what I consider shorts weather.  But then, I love the heat.  I don't wear shorts until around 50 degrees.  Unless I am racing.  Which I haven't done in a while. I am hoping for an injury-free spring season, when I can hit a few local 5Ks and actually try to be fast(er).

I got an email from AT&T saying my plan had changed.  What?  I made no changes to any of our plans.  We have internet, Uverse, and 5 smartphones on our AT&T, which costs about $400/month (20G rollover data plan for the phones).  I logged into the website and it told me my next bill would be $931.  WHAT?  After I was done  having heart failure, I called AT&T and told them I wanted to cancel all of our services.

So, they restored all plans to where they were before, gave me $30/month off of my Uverse for the next 12 months, and increased my internet speed for $10 less per month from here on out.  Okay, I guess I will stay a little longer.  

5.3 miles today on the TM, followed by about 30 minutes of core and shoulder exercises and some other exercises with the stability ball.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Morning all.    SRD here, will do abs/core later. 

Rock your Friday!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Dave59

3 miles on a Planet Fitness treadmill today.

I signed up for a 12/7 5k near our new home. It is called "Pay It Forward 5k" and there will be money at the finish in the medal. You are encouraged to use the money to "pay it forward". The money can go up to $100. I don't really want the medal for a 5k, but I can put the money toward something I guess.  It is the first race in a winter series.

To answer a question from yesterday, we are moving on 11/22 to a townhouse 30 miles east of our current home. My mother-in-law moves to a new assisted living place tomorrow and our move is to stay near her because my wife spends time with her every day. The townhouse is only 3 years old and nicer than our condo. The development has a  clubhouse with a nice fitness center, bigger and nicer pool, a mini movie theater for watching sports, movies, and TV on a big screen, pool and Foosball tables, outdoor sitting areas with gas fireplaces, and maybe other stuff I haven't seen yet.  The townhouse is slightly larger square feet wise, but virtually no storage.

Thanks, Tramps and good morning, y'all.  I was going to start a thread but ran out of time while I was at the house.  Holly- WTF???? How could they justify jumping it that much?  Glad you got them back down!

3.5 miles for me outside this morning.  I lost a precious 1/10 not getting my watched stopped/started right at a bathroom stop, but I figured it out pretty quickly.  It was about 31 degrees this morning and I wear a lot of clothes.  I really don't like to be cold, and if I get sweaty in my shorter runs it's not that big of a deal.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tramps - thanks for the start and good morning to all

who check-in throughout the rest of the day.

Dave - neat, neat, neat. However, where's the money come from for the Pay-it-Forward finishers?  Sounds a lot better reason to finish than just another plain old medal, finisher t-shirt, etc.

Holly - be careful.

good luck in your recovery

glad you can do it during the winter.

First rain of the month for an hour of j-o’clock leafing of mostly dark maroon leaves from our big, three-trunked cherry tree to reveal the kind of lush green lawn DW likes to look at out the window when she wakes up followed by my own catch-up zzzzzzzzzzz’s before the rest of the day caught up to me so I didn’t have to decide whether to do a Hillside run in the rain or a first rainy ride in the local bike club’s Ride-in-the-Rain Challenge intentionally set during the supposedly rainiest month of the year (but with less than one inch so far is far below the average 11").

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Tramps. 34° is a little cool for shorts for me too. I'm glad you had a good run today in your '09 RM shirt.

Great job of getting AT&T to back down, Holly. - it seems that you made out better than they did. Nice workout today too.

Enjoy the SRD, Joe.

Good run, Dave.  The new townhouse sounds great, except for the lack of storage. The "Pay It Forward 5K" is an interesting concept. Reminds me of the Millinocket Marathon & Half

Good for you for getting outside this morning, KSA. Sorry about the lost 1/10.

Tet, I just shake my head when I think of you out raking leaves in the early morning darkness. If I did that, the neighbors would probably call the cops.

But I did get up and out at J o'clock to go for a (relatively quiet, so as not to wake anyone) 7.3 mi. RW workout. It was 29°, so I had on tights, windbreaker, mittens, etc. It still took me about 3 miles before my hands got moderately not cold. There was a nice nearly-full moon still high in the sky to light my way - but I still had my headlamp to help ensure that oncoming vehicles would see me. I passed a dead skunk in the road, which was quite fragrant once I got downwind of it.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I had to look up Greta Thunberg.  She looks angry.

So we have 2 Pickles and didn't know it!  Things are definitely looking up.

Tet - We're severely lacking in the rain category, too.  Lots of fog this month, though, so at least we have that to help the redwoods and the dryness.  We might get rain Monday and/or Tuesday.

Great pic, Steve!  But yeah, if that's what Dunkin's seein' . . . . 

Nuthin' for me so far.  Shut my alarm off and went back into snooze mode.  I'll go for a walk at lunch and hit my little shed gym after work.

Yesterday went to a seminar on adult aging.  The lunch provided was excellent and I went back for seconds on the salad.  Then, because of the new challenge between the partners, we had pizza at 4:00 yesterday.  By the time I got home I wasn't even close to hungry.  BUT - The Hub had made blueberry pancake batter from scratch and I didn't have to heart to say no.  So bacon and pancakes it was, and I went to bed feeling very large and not in charge.   I'm still stuffed . . . .

It's Friday, Friends - Enjoy ~~

Image result for it's friday!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dnaff

Jay, I got up really early to let the dog out, looked at that moon and thought, yep Jay is out already.   I don't have enough oomph that early in the morning to do much more than coffee.

It looks to be a gorgeous day for a run.  Our schools have early out (11:30) so I'll head out a half hour later.  Give the traffic time to settle back to normal.  I am smack in the middle of 5 schools and it is treacherous when the parents are out picking up and dropping off kids.  And I don't blame them a bit.  Driving a carload of kids is always distracting.

Holly, can I borrow your services for the ATT bill?  You are my hero!

Oh, and Joe, I plan to show my ankles on today's run.  Thought you might want to know. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Biked in.  Really sleepy.  I had trouble again last night getting warm enough to go to sleep.  I get chilled coming home from chorus and quartet, and we go right to bed, and then I can't sleep because I can't get warm.  I have a fuzzy blanket that I throw in the dryer to get it warm, but that doesn't always conquer the chill.  Last night I got up about 12:30 and threw my thick fuzzy housecoat over me as well.

Perhaps I need to start wearing more clothes to bed ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dnaff - 

Hope's Mom - when I get cold like that, the fastest way for me to get warm is to take a hot bath - the heat soaks right down to the bones.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Waving at twocat as we ride the train.   Spoke to our 90+ friend we’re seeing in 2 hours & she thought we were coming next week.  Not only did I email her, I spoke to her 2 days ago as did 2 close friends of hers - the joys of aging!

saw the moon this am but no exercise

socks in bed are critical for warmth if I am cold

...mornin'.....

========

40s and a raw wind....not pleasant

.......60-min 3lb RC/ trailboots at soccerfields...

as I was finishing up

I spotted two cops next to the field

turns out

someone had broken into a car at the Y and pitched the cellphone

out of the purse around the soccerfields

my last lap was checking the bushes on the perimeter

without any luck

==========

oh, ETA-

my generational comment

was after talking

to another retired pharmacist about the Dumbest Robberies we had had

(there were a bunch to choose from)

Mine was

a misguided youth

who chopped thru the roof

and

left then his wallet on it

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mine was

a misguided youth

who chopped thru the roof

and

left then his wallet on it

Ha!

We are avid Live PD watchers. We just shake at our heads at most of the shenanigans and comments.  Amazing.  Three things we've learned:

1. Apparently 90% of the population does not have or does not carry valid ID.

2. Apparently 85% of the population drives on suspended licenses.

3. Apparently a large percent of people are wearing someone else's clothes or someone left their purse, backpack, etc., in the person's car because "those are not my drugs, and no, I don't know how they got in there."

I've been known to get up in the middle of the night and stand in a hot shower because I can't warm up, or run warm water over my feet in the tub because they won't warm up.  I always start out in bed with socks on my feet or run them under warm water before I get in bed because if they're not warm, I ain't gettin' any sleep.

Office Politics = .  Keeping my door shut today, as much as possible.

Image result for funny office politics image

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Singer who runs a smidge

Hope's Mom - when I get cold like that, the fastest way for me to get warm is to take a hot bath - the heat soaks right down to the bones.

Agreed!!  Only I don't usually get home from chorus and quartet until about 10:30, and then there's not really time for a good hot soaking bath if I want to be coherent at 5:30 the next morning ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.