Masters Running

April nothing but Fools around here ..... (Read 458 times)

It was great to get a picture of holly and CNY at the big game.  Not surprisingly, it was a good visit and included a good run.  jlynne, I hope Will's trip to the hospital ends up being only precautionary and nothing is wrong.  hopeful (and dg), keep the puppy pictures coming.  eliz, it's good to have you post.  Healing vibes going your way for your AT.  steve, I hope you are doing better.

Nice long runs for buehrle, breger (it sure make me nervous to hear you did a bunch of repeats while having hammy twinges), evan, and Tramps.

Like some of the rest of you, we had a beautiful morning, about 50°, almost calm, and sunny.  I got in 8 miles in a little over 1:22 for a 10:17 pace.  It's now up to about 70° and the next few days are supposed to be setting records for high temps at this time of year.  My wife has been hinting that it would be nice if I'd rototill the garden so she can plant some early stuff like salad greens and peas.  I'll have to get to it before the hints get a little stronger.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good luck to the hammies.  Those have knocked be out of several marathons, usually 2-3 weeks prior.  One hamstring pull was on the first day of taper! It's important to maintain range of motion at all times.  I always do the leg up on the steps for 3x30 sec each leg right after every run.  I know there are debates, static vs dynamic... blah, blah, blah..

The sign of a hamstring injury is to preted to punt a football. If that hurts, you have a problem Houston.

4 recovery miles with some strides in 37:33 (9:23, AHR 149). Nice dry 70° and sunny! (glad that was a recovery run)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Yeah, Steve, I remember you having me doing punt kicks last April after I bailed on Boston and just about falling to the ground! But my problem was sciatica, which has hamstring involvement. It's no joke that all these pieces and parts are connected!!

Tom, when you're done with your wife's garden you can zip up here and do mine, ok? Oh, wait, we're certainly not having any 70° temps yet. Still basking in bright sunshine and mid-40's this week, which works for me!

Holly, I did ask that... apparently we can go in early the next morning to clean up. These senior parties used to last till 5 a.m., and they'd have cool door prizes to make the kids stick around (had to be there to win), like TV's, etc. This year it's done at 2, which is silly cuz the kids will be all wound up at 2 a.m. and just head out looking for trouble, exactly what the graduation party idea is supposed to prevent! So, we're still working on that part. But no, I wasn't going to go in at 3 a.m. to clean up!

I hope Baby Will is doing ok today.

Easy 5-6 miles on tap for today, but it seems my schedule is not my own these days so not sure when I'll fit it in.

Twocat, I think Mango goes well with a little spice, so how about some grated ginger?

{{{Babywill}}}

{{Sore Hamstrings everywhere}}

As I said yesterday, I needed 2.1 more miles to hit 100.0 miles for the month.  So I went out after DH came home from work and did those.  I went fast (for me) on the first mile to compare it to a previous attempt and was surprised to see 9:11 pace, then I jogged home.  This is with being twenty pounds heavier than I used to be so I know that pace could have been in the eight somethings at my regular weight.  I am having some mild hypothyroidism that has put this weight on and I'd give anything to lose it.  Plus the fatigue and feeling cold all the time suck too.  But I am otherwise healthy and happy to have the gift of running back in my life, whether slow or fast.

DS is home today again.  He woke me up at 3am....he guzzled a glass of water and then proceeded to vomit.  I don't know how many times I've told him "baby sips, no more than one every 10 minutes".  But I guess when you wake up thirsty in the middle of the night the impulse to guzzle is there.

Better stop those puppy pictures or you will turn me from a cat person into a dog person!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Just 4 short miles running.

Then I went back home from the gym.

Because I forgot to bring my work clothes.

To the gym.

Just 70 long miles driving.

Home and back.

Because I forgot to bring my work clothes.

To the gym.

- The April Fool

Twenty minute walk in Nike Free's yesterday, only a slight twinge of pain under my third right toe; no AT pain whatsoever.

Thirty minute walk in Asics with custom orthotics today, bottoms of both feet hurt the whole time; AT a little tight during the first few minutes, then OK.

Things that make you go, "hmmmmm."

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Enke - The puppy pics make me want one, too!  A co-worker was trying to get one of us to take a rescue dog from her daughter who lives in TN.  She's going back for a visit next week and would bring it back.  Unfortunately, none of us could, and equally unfortunately, her daughter found the owner - a backyard "breeder" aka puppy mill.    And nope, the daughter couldn't keep it.

Twocats - Mango and brown sugar.  YUM!  That combo on the grill is unbelievable. 

Holly - The flooring sounds really nice.  It takes awhile to get used to such a big change, but I bet it makes things feel warmer and cozier.

Eliz - {{{Your AT}}} It's going to take some time for your feet to get used to the orthotics.  I quit wearing mine about 2 years ago and have never looked back.  If you want to wear minimalist shoes, thereby letting the feet do their natural "thang," not so sure orthos are complimentary.  Have you ever seen a therapist who does Muscle Activation Technique?  I know I've said it before in this forum, but I'll say it again - those folks help in ways that no that PT and doc can.  I will always seek out a MAT therapist before anyone.  My knee rarely hurts anymore, my sciatic is like 99.999% happy.  All with no strain or pain.

Ribs - Not sure that grin could've gotten much bigger.

'Posai - I just signed up for (and am keeping my fingers crossed I get into) the McKenzie River 50k Trail Run.  You ever think about doing something like SOB?  It's a beautiful course to run.  Against the wishes of my Coach, I'm going to run it in July, but am going in with an "if I finish, I finish, if I don't, I don't.  I just want to enjoy the day" attitude.

Well, now that you all are having the nice weather, we're getting the crappy, cold weather.  Such is life, though, here on the ole North Coast.  Since the schedule said 3 miles of running or 30 min of cycling, I chose the latter.  Donned my scanky indoor workout clothes, and warmed up in my little workout room while still wearing my thick robe.  It's a sexy combo.  Oh yeah, baby!  Then 35 min of stationary cycling to "Monk."  I love Monk.  The guy who plays the captain - remember him in "Silence of the Lambs"??  He was the bad dude.  That voice is unmistakable.

Well, I get to dump some dinero into my desktop at home today.  Some very weird noise came out of the other night when I turned it on.  Luckily, a friend's husband has his own computer repair service.  I called him yesterday, and when I didn't get a return call by the afternoon, I emailed The Wife.  Within 15 minutes, he called.  It's great to know the people at the top!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

Thanks Tramps.   Smile   I stole them from Mary's website.  

Mary, I like Nono's idea... you are ahead of the curve.   ... you know, I've thought about stopping & telling a runner when I had a hard time seeing them, but haven't.    Maybe I will next time,

IRC!!!!    no, I didn't run.

Hi Nono!   I've been wondering how you are.  I hope your barefoot run is bliss.     It's been 10 days.   I'm being at least kind of patient!    no running.  some 'exercising' of various kinds, I keep trying things out.   Mostly I'm just gradually increasing what I do around the house, laundry, food prep, things like that. itty bitty gardening.  Today I'm hurting so that is a great aid to patience!  Not quite sure why... but anyway thank you.    Because as soon as I feel better , & with this weather, I want to do Everything At Once.   I will try to live up to your faith in me as a patient person.  Smile

I get to leave work now!!   So will finish later,  except for BabyWill hugs  (((((((( )))))))))

some for Enke's DS, & Enke too.

Slo

Yesterday I did 21 miles on the bike. Going out the rail-trail I was excited that the new bike is so much easier to ride fast, but then when I turned around I realized it had been a tailwind. I was lucky to maintain 12mph on the 10-mile return! This afternoon my DW and I are going for a ride, and tomorrow is another long group ride.

I got such a good laugh out of this roch.

So many times I've thought....

"Wow, the legs are strong today !"

Only to be humbled at the turn around.

My Schwinn is all stripped down.....

Ebay shopping is quite addicting.

New parts are starting to arrive.

Gotta ready the bike for RAGBRAI.

Very cute puppies.

Makes me want one.

My Sadie would make a great Mom.

Is this what we do on April Fools?

Renee the dog

1 mi on the beach. It's 59º F out.  Kids got their pants soaked.  Renee picked a fight with a male German Shepherd, which is why I didn't do mile 2. Spring.   Thankfully, the GS and Renee both "sort of" listened, so I kept them from going at it too much (it was escalating, with much bravado, not playfulness on both sides).  But all the cut back sprinting to and fro made me say, NEVER MIND to anymore 1/10s back and forth while watching the kids play.

{{{Baby Will}}}

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Maniac 505

lots of good runs today,  lots of cute puppy pics.  Mari,  so sorry about all the race conflicts

18 for me today,  2:55.  Now it is taper time.

Dave

Jlynne

YOU'VE ALL WON A MILLION DOLLARS!!!

Happy April Fools Day everyone.  Lots of posts here today. I love it when you all get chatty.

Twocat- your muffins will most likely have already been baked and eaten, but how about mandarin oranges/crushed pineapple with the mangos? Mmmmmm....

Tom - get that garden soil worked up. Can you remember an April 1st as nice as this one? We've broken temperature records for the last two days that have stood since 1887.

Erika - I worked the senior post-prom party for DS#1 back in the day. It was held at a really nice fitness center - indoor tennis courts, swimming pool/hot tub, racquetball. But it was still hard to keep the kids there, and the school had a policy that once you left you couldn't come back in. The kids who are looking for trouble are always going to find it, but I agree - ending the party at 2 or 3 in the morning is a recipe for disaster.  Ours ended at 5 AM and there weren't many kids left.

Hi Eliz! Nice to see you post. Sure hope your AT troubles are over soon. Visit more often, OK?

Holly - does the Air Force Marathon have a half as well? When is it? I love Trader Joe's.  We don't have any around here and I always wished we had one of those and an IKEA. Pictures of your kitchen please?

Will has to stay in the hospital at least one more night. When I went to see him, they had him hooked up to oxygen as his levels were really low.  He kept trying to pull the tubing out of his nose which was kind of funny, but I don't think the nurse liked it so much. Poor little guy's chest was rattling so loud you could hear it all the way across the room. The doc wants him there to make sure he's breathing ok on his own before they'll let him go. Thanks for all your good wishes - hopefully he'll be home in time to hunt for his Easter basket.

Like Roch, I was overdressed this morning. I managed 6 miles at a 9:57 pace, but that damn left  foot was complaining so I had to stop and walk a couple of times. It was too nice NOT to run, but I know I'm not helping this at all.  I have been so lucky all these years to never have had a serious injury, and I would be devastated if I couldn't run for a while. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger???

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - does the Air Force Marathon have a half as well? When is it? I love Trader Joe's.  We don't have any around here and I always wished we had one of those and an IKEA. Pictures of your kitchen please?

Jlynne - yes, there's a HM, too.  It's Sept 18.  Want to bunk at my house?  DD and DS can camp out in the family room and you and Dg can take their beds.  They don't mind, because it means they get to stay up late watching tv. 

({{{more healing hugs to Will}}}

I'll post a picture when they're done.  I think today they are putting the quarter-round down.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Jlynne - yes, there's a HM, too.  It's Sept 18.  Want to bunk at my house?  DD and DS can camp out in the family room and you and Dg can take their beds.  They don't mind, because it means they get to stay up late watching tv. 

({{{more healing hugs to Will}}}

I'll post a picture when they're done.  I think today they are putting the quarter-round down.

Smile

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Extra {{{BIG HUGS}}} to baby Will!   Poor guy has been through enough already - and his parents too.   Sad

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com