Masters Running

Mondaily, 1.29.24 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Late starters today, eh?

String beans - shortly after we met, I made dinner for who is now my DW, including simply sauteed string beans from a local farmer's market. She asked what they were, because she had never had string beans not from a can before. When I told her they were string beans, she said "no they're not!" We still joke about that.

We were expecting some weather overnight last night, so I planned on and did start today with 90 minutes of knee and core exercises, weights, and some stretching. After breakfast (and after daylight), I went out for about 1.1 miles of snowblower and shovel work. We only got about 2-3" of snow overnight, but it is supposed to be well below freezing tonight, so I wanted to clear the driveway and walks so they don't become a sheet of ice. With a little luck, I'll be able to get out for a walk this afternoon.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

dnaff

Green beans - snap the ends, microwave until crisp tender, then toss them into a pan full of onions sautéed with bacon.  End of story.

Cat lady coffee this morning followed by a surprise shift at the food pantry at noon.  It gets me out of my regular Tuesday shift.  It also turns today into a rest day.  Yesterday I did find an indoor cycling YouTube of fall colors.  30 minutes around some reservoir in New Jersey.  It doesn’t sound scenic but it really was.  I’ll do that one again.

Thanks, Jay.  You are doing so well with your rehab exercises!   Ken still has some pain and swelling- and can really only wear loose fitting sneakers, but he's back on the bike (trainer) for about 30 minute rides.  Surgery really knocks you for a loop, as many of our group are finding out.

Got out in light snow (you could barely see it, but it was sort of fun) for 5.6 miles on my hilly course from the house.  I made it!  I'm delaying taking Robert Earl out because it isn't very nice- about 33 degrees and gloomy.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

Late start, indeed!

Tammy - hoping for the best for your dad. It sounds like he's in good hands. How does an aorta tear?

40 minutes on the bike for me, followed by a quick (5 min) hip reset. Now, at the office on this gloomy (yes again) Monday. I heard we are supposed to see a glimpse of sun this afternoon, but I'm not holding my breath!

Happy Monday, all.

Anne

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

KSA - our Rudy is having issues as well, leaving me nice messes to clean up...

Nothing for me today.  I slept poorly last night, so I went back to bed for an hour after DH left for work.

Happy Monday!  (sort of)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the start, Jay.  Hope you get your walk in.

Tammy - hoping for the best for your dad. It sounds like he's in good hands. How does an aorta tear?

+1 and that's what I was wondering.

45 min of core/ST this a.m. after having pillow time with Old Fat Chico after my alarm went off.  He likes to come and put his front half on my pillow in the morning and get head scratches while I ward off his paws that he tries to put in my face.  He's so happy, you can hear him purring from across the bedroom.

Now I gotta get to it.  Our dept secretary is out sick, so I have to redo the notary page on a bunch of EP docs that are getting signed.  *sigh* Fun times, my friends, fun times.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Good Monday Morning,

Got out for 8.5 miles yesterday. weather was nice and miles flew by since I was running with a friend.

anne: My dad has high blood pressure and has been on medication for it for a long time, years. However, I come to find out this weekend that even with the medication, his home readings of his BP has been around the 170/90 range, which is still too high. Plus, he admitted that he hadn't taken it for the last couple days before this happened. So if he had a weakening in the aortic wall anyways, due to years of higher than normal BP, and then it got even higher when he carelessly was not taking his HBP meds, I suppose that could have been enough pressure in there to cause a tear.  He's still in ICU. He cannot swallow anything at this point, so he's on a liquid diet and they won't move him out of ICU until he can swallow something. he's on IV pain med and he would need to be able to swallow pills for pain at a very minimum before they would move him to a cardiac floor. 

I'm working in Medford today, about 5 miles from the hosp so will go see him. Nurse said he mostly sleeps which is good.

Tammy

Tammy- hoping this resolves.

Holly- ugh.  I hope Rudy gets better quickly.  It's not fun (for us or them).

Centex runner

Well, I got fitted for a Ritchie style brace (foot/ankle) and received it about 3 weeks ago. It seems to be helping. I'm up to 4 miles of slow jogging and I'm getting more use to it. Has helped keep my ankle from swelling up and less pain. Somewhat excited that it appears that I can continue my running career (haha). Just have to wear it or an ankle brace all the time which is a bummer (no barefooting). Planning to up the miles in training for a half marathon coming up soon.

Karen - Thanks for letting us know how Ken's surgery recovery is going. (My other option)

Everybody have a great day!

Dave59

Ug, I am not a fan of green beans. What a terrible topic to be covering on the forum. I will eat them steamed but around these parts they pressure cook them with ham until they are green mush. Almost makes me throw up just thinking about it.

I got up this morning to a cold house (heater was still not working.) I did a kettlebell workout in the refrigerated basement, had breakfast, took a shower and got dressed....  and then my tongue went numb again. This time the left side of my face was numb too, although it felt warm more than numb.

I called the doctor and he wasn't in today. His physician's assistant was booked. So I went to a MedExpress to see what they said. They sent me to the emergency room because it could be a sign of a stroke. I spent the next several hours there and I am finally home. After taking a lot of blood for tests, they also had me take a CT scan (with contrast). That showed that my arteries in my neck were fine. I am instructed now to check in with a neurologist if the symptoms continue.  (And an EKG was fine.)

Hanging out in an emergency room for 5 hours along with the testing wore me out. This is why people ignore problems rather than getting checked out. It is such a hassle. But, saying you have numbness in your face appears to push you to the front of the line. I skipped passed everyone at MedExpress and I probably got some preferential service at the ER. That was nice.

The heater was fixed while I was at the hospital. The house is starting to warm up.

MTA - Heater is broken again.

mornin'..........

still spitting a little sleet this morning

..30-min on ARC Trainer.......

==============

since Dementia runs in my family

have been working on mental acuity projects

some of them are HARD

by that

I mean,

to do in your head, not written down

check out ''Silent Letters''

https://www.npr.org/people/2101852/will-shortz

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tammy - Don'tcha just wanna smack your parents sometimes??   Hopefully (1) he heals quickly without surgery and none the worse for the wear and (2) he's learned a valuable lesson.

Dave - Glad the numbness, etc. (1) got you to the front of the line and (2) didn't seem to be anything bad for now, but . . .

The heater was fixed while I was at the hospital. The house is starting to warm up.

MTA - Heater is broken again.

This gave me a good chuckle. 

If you wanna read a book that'll make you , then read "If You Tell" by Gregg Olsen.  If it wasn't a true story, then you'd think it was a bad B-grade movie.

I'm wasting time in here because I have so much on my plate at work I'm stymied.  I've been wondering lately if the workload stays at this level if I can actually hold out for another 9 years . . . 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave- that is really concerning.  I don't know why that numbness would happen.  You are absolutely right that this is the reason (the delays, inconvenience etc at the medical offices) is why people delay and ignore things.  I've glad you went, but I sure can understand how you are worn out from it!

I hope it turns out to be an age-related nothing, Dave. Might be some nerve issue cuz sleeping position or workout that will go away.

I concern myself whenever something happens non bilaterally, especially my Left side. One of the fingers on my Left hand gets Raynaud's disease like symptoms of whiteness and numbness in the right kind of cold weather, and for a couple weeks my Left two small fingers would start to get tingly if I had my elbow on the desk, and I'd have to hang my arm at my side for it to go away (pinched nerve, says Dr. Internet). So far, I've awakened alive every morning.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

BTY

Dave - Good on you for getting that checked - even though you likely knew you were in for a hassle.   I hope it all turns out to be something you ate.

We got 3 inches of very wet packy snow last night before bedtime, and I got out and shoveled carefully (heart attack snow) the length and width of our driveway, and uncovered the cars, for the reason Jay mentioned - no fun if it turns to ice overnight.   DW shoveled the walk and then built a nice snowman, one to be proud of.  We got up this morning and saw a beautiful picture postcard scene in our backyard - wet snow on the arborvitae on my neighbor's side of the fence, behind our little shed.  It was really something to see.  I took a picture and it looked more like a cottage in the mountains under a fresh blanket of snow, even through it was just last night's 3" and another inch or two of new wet snow.  No wind yet so everything is just sticking to the branches.  So I got another chance to shovel the driveway (more heart attack snow) and curse the local plow guy for piling so much heart attack snow at the bottom of my driveway.  I think it's ironic that it's illegal for me to push snow into the road - something I have never done and would never do - but they can pile up snow without care in hundreds of driveways each storm, with the result that someone is going to the hospital with chest pains for trying to shovel it all out to get to work.  First world problem, I know, but a deadly one.

Today is the day that our granddaughter comes here after daycare and waits for her Mommy to finish her shift there.  Then we'll have dinner together and after that I'll scoot to the Y and get in a strength workout (push) and a 30-minute swim workout..

Have a greta day, Masters!