Masters Running

Newbies - the new thread (Read 608 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

laurie--I think I've moved from my snit to a funk.  don't like either.  I need to get motivated to do the exercises to get rid of sore knee and shin, but all I want to do is run.  and then I run and my knee and shin hurt and I get depressed.....yada yada yada.  So I just need to give someone a good kick in the ass and get going.

and talking to yourself is only a probelm when you start ansering yourself

Hope everyone else is well.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Rindaroo

Kevin -    Here's a {{{{kick}}}} & a hug all wrapped in one Big grin

Laurie - no outside running only happens on the weekend for me...  yesterday I could barely walk due to my motorcycle ride..lol.. that stupid kick starter!!! lol   last night was eaten up with forcing my DD to work on a book report after her school conference...oy!  am going to try again tonight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27well.html?_r=3

Very interesting article in the ny times about how humans are built for distance running. Talks about the shoes to wear and how cushiony shoes ruin the natural mechanics of running.

Kevin, Youre not kicking me in the butt. Kick someone else.Ali and I will be in Boston on the 9th if you want me to kick you then.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

Jevin, Jevin, Jevin.        

better now?   a snit is more fun than a funk.

I had a lot of trouble making myself do my pt exercises.   even though I knew they helped, & even though I was preparing to do a little bit of running.    one of the biggest problems was time, but also you just get tired of it.  what it finally took was all the additional problems caused, nice little snowballs.    So.   Just Do It.   (hee).      howabout this.   I really need to continue with mine.   right after the marathon I felt great, posture, alignment, etc.  Now just a litlte bit of easing up & I'm wonky again.   so we could report to each other.  issue fines.  things like that.  fun?  you betcha. 

Linda.    a kick starter?    

Frances, exciting plans you have there.   cool.  

Laurie, I don't mean to leave you talking to yourself.  just can't keep up.

Roberta, very smart to keep running fun.

Eliz, hope you feel better soon.  I'm a little off myself (okok,  I know.  but i mean physically). 

MIke, thanks!   how great you are hiking in such a beautiful place.   hmm. know anyone with a camera? 

so, this morning was 5.11 miles, a little faster than I've been (9:51 pace) but I am sore now.   not sure just what I should be doing right now.   I have a pt appt. today & hope to get some good feedback.  she is a runner & so that helps. 

lswife

Still on week 4 of C25K but it's coming easier now - as long as I skip the last run. Week 4 has the 5-min warm-up, then run 1/4 mile, walk, run 1/4 mile, walk, run 1/2 mile, walk...and then repeat. I can do all except the last run.

Still keeping it fun, though. This morning I decided just to walk for 30 minutes; but after 5 minutes, I wondered if I could run a bit; I did, and ended up finishing the routine (except for the last half-mile run). 

I always feel better afterwards - right now I think it's just a head game I have to get over. Oh well, as many of you said, as long as I'm still moving : )  

Thanks for the encouragement.

Rindaroo

Debbie -  oooh I riled you up huh?  not really meant that way, I know that sometimes I feel like I need that.. a kick with love.. oh maybe that's from my weight watcher friends.  just seemed Kevin was in that kind of mode.

Kevin - how are you doing?  Feeling any better?

Okay, 2 miles on the treadmill walking yesterday...  so sore from riding still, oy! and alignment just feels wrong. maybe it'll take me a couple more days to straighten out.

Deb, what is sore? I think you need more time off after a marathon. Did you try swimming as your recovery exercise? Yoga?

Linda, I am trying to follow your allignment thread on the rehab thread. I might fall into the out of alignment category. Know anyone who can allign a human? I'm straight, just out of alignment. lol.

30 very slow run yesterday with the clinic women. I was going to go all out but the group heading off one direction leaving one older woman behind. So I fell in with her and ran at her pace. The run clinic is for them afterall. We are just mentors.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Laurie - lol.. its gotten out of control, huh?  all about me & my alignment..  interestingly enough, my foot is feeling better since I started doing the spreading & lifting the toes thing. Smile
                  dg.

LInda I knew what you meant by jKevin's kick.... you & I do that to each other all the time,, in various directions. Smile.    I was frowning at "yesterday I could barely walk due to my motorcycle ride..lol.. that stupid kick starter!!!"  !! 

Laurie, thanks, I might need more time.  I've done some running, some core work, bike & elliptical.  no swimming but a major long whirlpool soak Sunday after my run.  Maybe I'll try some this weekend, I don't get to the gym often.  Anyway, it's sort of a sore all over thing.  almost makes me think it's the weather, or the start of the flu, or something.  Really tired.  I"ll try to pay attention & let myself get rested somehow!  that is always a huge challenge, I'm sure you know what I mean.

nice of you to run at pace with the person in your clinic.

I definitely think alignment!!!  that's what I was getting at with the sacro-illiac related questions.  Seems to be a common cause, though it could be something else.   Getting that fitgured out & maintaining it... which is the tough part now.. is what has helped me more than anything.   still think you should see a good sports doc who is a D.O.    my particular slant, but it might be worth a try.

thanks for the link. haven't looked yet but I think I've seen it.   meant to tell you, I ran the marathon in my Frees.

Roberta, you're welcome.  we all need that.   keep us posted.

core/strength exercises this morning.

just noticed your spreading & lifting your toes thing LInda.  (pictures? ;-) ) my feet have been a lot better since I did something that sounded kind of like that, not really intentionally but as a side effect of yoga & the proprioceptive things.   I'll have to look at your thread. 

Rindaroo

Ooops - I understand now..lol.. 

Did a 1 hour yoga tape tonight.. wow feel so much better.  I need to do that on a regualar basis.

Deb and Linda, I am not sure what you guys are doing with your feet but if it helps with running then I am all for it! Explain it to the slow learner (me) when you have a chance.

Run or not run today? I have about 8 hours worth of leaf raking to do. Dont want to overdo it.

The celtics won, the yankees lost, I have the day off and I get to see my Manchester friends tonight. Yep its going to be a good day. And.....its NOT raining in new england. Yahoo.

Laurie

Rindaroo

Laurie - OM's suggestion on the feet.. my feet are sometimes out of alignment & she was suggesting to spread the toes & lift them... actually when you're that far out of alignment that your neck adjusts when you do the spread toes thing - its hard to run.. and boy, oh boy was I far out.  Hopefully after doing yoga last night, I'll be able to run a little tonight.....

Sitting on the heating pad. Cancelled tomorrows bike ride. Sundays hike is up in the air. I am sooo over this leg injury.

Good luck Linda.

Laurie

Rindaroo

Laurie - sorry about that hamstring.    Hope its better soon..

Ran 2 miles on the treadmill last night - okay run/walk 15 run/3 walk/10 run.  Back was a little iffy due to my alignment, but was able to do it.  Looks like yoga tonight, so I can run tomorrow outside Smile

Me

Good morning Everyone,

Sorry about your butt, laurie.  You have to be 100% in May.

Linda, that's amazing to think that spreading your toes can affect your neck alignment.

Kevin, how's your mood?  Better?

Debbie, actually. . . I just bought a new camera.  It's awesome.  15 megapixels and gives me tons of control over the picture taking process.  I'm grinning ear to ear.

I ran my normal 4 mile route today with out any pain in my knee.  It has been bothering me since around August.  I thought that not running while I was working all those crazy hours would be a good thing, but last week. . . not so much.  So, today I put on a soft knee brace, laced up my old shoes (the ones I was wearing before August), and went for a run.  The only issue is my cardio capacity is down because i haven't been running.  So, now I have to figure out if it was the brace of the shoes (I introduced one too many variables into my problem solving effort).

Hello Everyone else

cheers

Mike