Masters Running

Newbies - the new thread (Read 608 times)

KimberlySue

Kimberly

Hmmm..not sure if this is the right post for introductions but since it said Newbies and I am a newbie to the forums i thought this might be as good of a place as any.

My name is Kimberly and I love running.  I try to get in about 30 miles a week.  I am currently training for The Big Sur Half, Las Vegas RnR Half, PF Chang's RnR Full and Pemberton's Ultra.  I am going to work on slowly upping my miles.  Last time i upped to fast and ended up with a achilles tendinitis problem that is still healing. 

I am happily married, the mother of two grown sons and a grandmother (1 more on the way).  I am a belly dancer for in a local troupe here in Arizona.  Oh and recently I was the first place runner in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure Survivors race in Phoenix, AZ. 

Look forward to connecting,

Kimberly

Hi, Kimberly!  You're certainly welcome in our little newbie corner of cyber-space, but, wow, you're running the pants off of this newbie!  Feel free to jump in on the daily as well - the water's great and everyone's friendly.

I'm in the Philly suburbs & spend weekends and summers at the Jersey shore.  I'm a middle school music teacher (translation:  out of my mind, but in a good way).  I also kayak and sail in the summers, and I'm getting a trainer for my bike this weekend for indoor winter XT.  My fourth "runniversary" will be next March.  I've run a few 5Ks, a 10-miler, and did the Philly Distance run HM this past September.  I'm really, really slow (no, really), but I love it too much to let that discourage me (much).

(Ahem, big announcement here.)  I just filled out the application for my first marathon, I wrote the check, and I'm putting it in the mail this afternoon.  New Jersey Marathon, Long Branch, May 2, 2010.  Eeeeekkkkk!  Marathon training, week 1, begins Monday.

MTA - just re-read your post more carefully - I struggle with AT as well - maybe we'll end up trading training tips.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi, Kimberly!  You're certainly welcome in our little newbie corner of cyber-space, but, wow, you're running the pants off of this newbie!  Feel free to jump in on the daily as well - the water's great and everyone's friendly.

what she said.  Definitely not a newbie runner, but more than welcome to hang out here.  I'll give a strong second to making yourself at home in the daily, too.  lots of advice, support, socializing, and entertainment.

I'm north of Boston, about 3 years into running, and presently in semi-injury, semi-funk of not running much at the moment.  But my running would be long gone if it wasn't for this place.

Eliz--it doesn't count until the door on the mail box closes.    But congratulations, cause I know you're not going to snatch it back.

I punted my run to scratch out another hour's worth of sleep.  Sunday morning, I promise I'll be out and see what happens.  Right now, I need to get home and start carving my pumpkin.  then tomorrow will spend all day putting up Halloween display.

Happy weekend all.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Kimberly, hi and welcome!!! You share a name with my 18 year old daughter. We call her Kim. She runs too. And (mom bragging) she ran 6 miles today getting ready for the Disney princess marathon. I cant brag about my running so I brag about Kim. Anywhoooo youre way beyond a newbie if youre training for an ultra. But stick around. We welcome all runners of all levels!!!

Kevin, whats the injury? is the funk empty nest syndrome?

Mike, I will be 105% by May guaranteed!!! Or your money back. You'll get the cardio back in no time. Running breaks are good as long as you do some form of cross training. I kept in aerobic health cycling and swimming.

Eliz, I read "I have a big announcement" and thought oh boy Eliz is getting married. Well a marathon is a big announcement too. And its probably better than getting married.

2 hour hike with the dogs. The schnoodle did well. The corgi lagged behind. My leg was not too bad.

Laurie (will never get married again because I only attract wierdos or find myself in the friend zone or 'one of the guys')

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Laurie (will never get married again because I only attract wierdos or find myself in the friend zone or 'one of the guys')

Me too.  (sniff)

MIke, Its ok for you to be one of the guys. lol. Think on the bright side. The only honey do list you have is the one you make for yourself.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Graduated from the return to run program today with a 3 min walk, 20 min run. I am on my own now. Goals...Disney princess half with DD18. Hartford Half with the newbies. Manchester road race with the tri ladies. Learn to play guitar. Learn a foreign language. Meet Eric clapton.

Laurie

Me

What happened to the AT?!?
                  Rindaroo

Hey all -

2 miles straight run outside today Smile  then 2 mile run/walk back home.  4 miles in all, can you believe it?

Oh yeah, goals...hike the full length of the AT (be there or be jealous). Run a marathon. cycle a century, win the lottery.

The heating pad is my best friend.

Laurie

Linda, Are you completely out of the woods? I dont mean that literally. Just figuratively?

Laurie

Me

That's wonderful Linda!  Finally, after all you've been through.
                          Rindaroo

Thanks guys!    Well, not quite out of the woods yet.  I'm still wearing the brace & am needing to ice a little after running.  But it is still improving, so I'm sure that I can continue building my stamina & increasing as long as I'm careful with the foot. Smile

Linda, at least there is light at the end of the forest. Yep take it easy. Add miles slowly. You know the drilla s much as I do.

Two hour hike today with the club. I had to bail early to get to work. Ugh. They kept on keeping on. I was jealous. At least I found someone who has week days off who wants to do long (12 miles) hikes with me. Yeah!

Laurie

Rindaroo

2 miles on the treadmill this morning... so much harder than outside. what's up with that?