Masters Running

Monday, December 1 Back-to-Work Runs, etc. (Read 553 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! No run for me today – light x-training instead: dumbbell curls, lateral raises, weighted squats, dead lifts, triceps extensions, push-ups, butt blasters, and various crunches. It was wonderful having 4 days off, but I guess it’s time to get back to the grind… {{{Mariposai and family}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning. 3 recovery miles this morning, 9:18/mi Have a good day, regardless of going back to work (3 weeks until Christmas, yikes!)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Holly and Lou, and everyone else Smile Very nice picture yesterday Holly, thanks... deez4boyz, that's great about you wanting to race a Triathlon in 2009...Holly mentioned something similar to me. Let me tell you something, Tri's are extremely addicting also and sooo much fun. After my Spring Marathon / Marathons, I may do another 1/2 Ironman July 2009, then another Fall Marathon which would be my A race for the year. No run for me either this morning Roll eyes. But will say each day now my foot feels better and better. I am still aways from running, but can kind of see the light at the end of the tunnel now Cool. Hey, for those interested in Ribs and how his running is going, here is a few Emails we have exchanged recently. His recovery has been truly amazing, and his running is going great. "I couldn't be better, thanks Tim! I am following your non-running very closely of course and have my fingers crossed for you. Today I ran the Dallas Turkey Trot 8 miler, my first run longer than 5 miles since surgery. 9:35 miles, can you believe that? But I felt super and had a ball. Best of all, my wife ran 9:25's and beat me by minute and a half or so. I have never been so happy to be beaten by a woman! All the best, S. I had my surgery July 31. The third week in September, 7 weeks later, the surgeon cleared me to run. I ran my first fiveK at the end of September in 10:24 per mile. I ran another one at the end of October at 9:02 a mile. I ran another one two weeks later at 8:45 per mile and another one at the end of November at 8:38 per mile. Then the Turkey Trot was my first attempt at 8 miles and I ran that at 9:35 per mile, much slower but a longer distance. I am feeling very good. Thanks for asking. As to your injury you have no choice but to be patient. It will all come together for you again. All the best, S." Have a great day everyone. Pool running / swimming and weights after work tonight for me. Well tet, today is day 30 and going strong, and rather doubt I will blow it today...so what is my prize again Cool TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

good morning! a quick hello, trying not to slide further behind. slide.. hee. can't avoid that lately. {{{{ Nancy }}}} Holly, what a nice photo of you all. thanks for posting it. any pictures of Dexter's little sister? name... I forget. did you say Daisy? reminds me of the Bumsteads. no run for me either. 20 min. of verstegen's prehab, 20 min. of snow shoveling. more of both later if i can fend off slug mode. hoping for a good week for everyone.
            Good morning everyone. Cross training day for me - 5 miles on the eliptical and some leg and ab work after that. It's a good day to be inside as the storm they were predicting hit last night. 5 inches on the ground with gusty winds and blowing snow with a few inches to come this morning. I was waiting for them to delay the start of school, but no such luck. I got the results from my 15K yesterday. Official time: 1:27:35, 6th in my AG. Prayers and comfort to Mariposai and her family today. How incredible to be able to share the end of a good man's life with him. You are a good woman, Mari. Holly - great family picture yesterday! Your DS is adorable, eyes open or closed! That picture is going in your Christmas card this year, right? Lou - you've got your house all cleaned up after the Tramps visit? Big grin Hey Tim - thanks for the Spareribs update. That man is incredible. I'm so glad he's back to running long distances again. You sound pretty chipper yourself this morning. Have fun in the pool today!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! I was just flipping through some of the weekends posts and was happy to see Ribs, Rochrunner and Jlynne posting!!! I got a 10 mile run in Thanksgiving morning. A very enjoyable and inspirational in a way. While running down a small private road a bald eagle soared above my head. I had never seen one so close! Friday and Saturday was spent car shopping for DH - not fun when you HAVE to buy one. Yesterday I was out for another 10 when I got an upset stomach at mile 8. Called DH to come pick me up and called it quits at 8.25. I was going SO slow trying to keep my HR down. I think I averaged 12 m/m. Happy Monday and December!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Good morning. After missing several days of the daily thread, I already feel totally out of touch. I hope to catch up tonight. 2.2 recovery miles @ 9:11 for me. Yesterday’s cold rain convinced me to stay in and relax, so this was my first post-race outing. My right thigh is definitely sore and tender all around—hamstring, ITB, quad—presumably from the hamstring problem and altered gait. Everything else, though, seemed fine. In previous races, the soles of my feet have felt battered and tender. With a soft trail run this time, they felt absolutely fine, which was a nice surprise. I’m starting the post-race processing to assess things and see what I can learn for next training cycle. Looking at my HR data from the marathon, I’m struck by how little variation I have and what a huge factor weather is. After two miles at AHR of 153 (I presume due to chilly temps and probably some adrenelin), my AHR at mile 3 settled down at 143. It slowly increased during the race, reaching a peak of 157 by mile 21 where it essentially leveled off for the remainder of the race. (It actually went down a couple of beats as my hamstring issue caused me to slow down.) The overall AHR was 152, which for me is 82% HRR and, I think, a little low compared to where you’re supposed to be for a marathon. Hmmmm. By contrast, going about the same pace in Richmond’s H&H two weeks earlier, I hit 159 by mile 4 and was approaching 170 by mile 6. Shocked Lesson #1 for me: stay the heck away from H&H marathons! (Edited to fix those numbers.)

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Just completed 3 hours (yes, I was insane and started at 6:30 a.m.) of carrying items up to attic (in big bins, so got some weight training in too.). Now my knee hurts. PROOF I tell you, that running does not cause Runner's Knee! It should be called 3-flights-to-the-attic knee. All the kids toys are organized and catagorized, the decoration boxes are back where they belong, summer clothes are up...etc. etc. etc. It all makes so much sense right now. I'll never find a damn thing in the spring, for anyone taking bets. Wink Day off from running. Too bad -- it's lovely out. Strong sun; no wind. Sigh. Good running and resting to all! MTA: {{{Mariposai}}}

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

DickyG

A daredevil wearing a jet pack has flown across a 1,500-foot-wide canyon in southern Colorado. Eric Scott took 21 seconds to cross the Royal Gorge at 75 mph...he didn't use a parachute while flying across the 1,100-foot-deep canyon. He was wearing a jet pack powered by hydrogen peroxide and developed by the Acme Company. As Scott was flying across the canyon, he was heard to be muttering "Prepare to meet your Maker, Roadrunner...you've meeped your last meep." Perch: What a superhuman run yesterday...I ran about a quarter of what you did and didn't feel like I could go any farther. Carolyn: Wow...you're a telemark skier? You guys rule! Jeanne: So you were just under a 9:30 pace yesterday...that's excellent. But what's a "noodleini"? Larry: Very nice getting to the big K in spite of all your injury down time...I won't make it...again...this year. Holly: That's a terrific family pic...DS is SUPPOSED to keep his eyes shut...that's his job. Deb: Let's see...9+ miles, core work..jeez...you certainly deserved some extra time in the whirlpool. Enke: The good news: Great 14-mile run The bad news: No new Enkeisms for the fridge. Teresa: Welcome back! I assume (hope) you have some exciting pics to post? Mariposai: Sooooo sorry. Tramps: You sure the beer didn't have anything to do with your excellent HR? I really didn't feel like running this morning...maybe I'll go out later. In order to hit 1,000 miles this year, I'll have to do about 104 in December....a little too much for me. But I should come in at about 980-990...a few more than last year. Maybe I'll hit 1K again in '09. DickyG
                      Mariposai I saw your post from last night and I am at a loss for words. It is always sad to lose a family member. For that all I can do is offer my condolences. For the little I can add, it sounds like you and your family made your FIL's final days and hours as close and comforting as possible. The love he must have felt in the end was undoubtedly of great comfort to him.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

{{{{{{{{{{{Mariposai}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} 5 easy miles with T...8:05 pace
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Tim and others. My condolences to Mariposai and her family on the loss of her father in law. I'm sure he passed on knowing he was loved by all of you. 5.4 slow miles on a chilly day. Off to Chicago for the week, where I am sure it will be chillier. Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

Good morning. 3 recovery miles this morning, 9:18/mi Have a good day, regardless of going back to work (3 weeks until Christmas, yikes!)
                            Thanks goodness out here on the West Coast it is four weeks until Christmas!! Smile 16 miles on a foggy beach yesterday! Whew, I think antagonist is trying to kill me.

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Well tet, today is day 30 and going strong, and rather doubt I will blow it today...so what is my prize again Cool
                              - Tim, I started out my December taper a day early but with a dream about meeting four beautiful goddesses at the Pink Door. My previous pink door PR is three goddesses so I can tell it is going to be a good taper month. Seattle RnR co-coordinators Tammy amd posie and I are already planning an goddess extravaganza in honor of your 30 days tapering as promised and official membership in nonrunners anyonymous. Even more if you make it to sixty days. I'm looking forward to a new year's day run virtual with you to celebrate my next 31 days of tapering too. congratulations you current taper king. your taper buddy. ps - I got an e-mail from spareribs too. "I couldn't be better, thanks Tet! I am following your non-running very closely of course and couldn't have been more delighted that you are starting off another month of tapering at the pink door with four beautiful goddesses. Today I tried to taper but with my personal goddess running 9:25's and beating me by minute and a half or so. I ran the Dallas Turkey Trot 8 miler, my first run longer than 5 miles since surgery. 9:35 miles, can you believe that? I know even you are still faster than me but I felt super and had a ball. I'm still really hoping that it will be possible to join you in one of your many, way too many, goddess reunions. All the best to the boomer guy I admire the most, S ps - pm me about how many hugs this time. thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks goodness out here on the West Coast it is four weeks until Christmas!! Smile
                                25-1 = 24 days. I rounded down, ok? Or maybe you were referring to having that extra three hours? Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com