Masters Running

Thursday, post-Ides, 3.16.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s wonderful workouts:
    Holly (4 TM miles)
    Tramps (8 icy-beard miles in windy, low 20s temps)
    BerthaSlayer (5 TM, ice-free miles)
    Tomwhite (50 min, HH on GreenWay in temps in the 20s)
    Catwhoorg (6 EZ-paced miles in long sleeves in 34° [feels like 24])
    Someone reminiscent of Tet, who would never break a rule (5 somewhat damp miles in a raincoat and cello-wrapped headlamp blinkies).
    Evanflein (Elliptical day, and the foot is doing OK)
    RunnerKSA (2.1 TM miles in 21° before flying to TX to do another 3.1 miles in 72° in a less-than-elegant neighborhood on the sea wall)
    Spacityrunner (2.1 easy cool miles)
    Mike (11 miles with 8 at tempo pace - not his best)

Holly, I’m glad DH apologized, and hope that things get back on an even keel, and that you can even fit in an away race or two. Leslie is right about you.

Sorry about the flu, Jlynne, and that DH was ‘kind’ enough to share it with you. Good move to stay away from work with the food and kiddies, regardless of what the boss may think.

BerthSlayer, it is good to be wary of ice. As I’ll bet we all know, it can do some damage to us. I had a fall in January that I won’t forget for a while.

Fatozzig, be careful about spending too much time on either one leg or the other - when we do that, we usually overcompensate in some way, and there is often a ripple effect that can cause other problems. So just be aware…

I dove into a cold pool once, Tomwhite, and it literally took my breath away.

RunnerKSA, please don’t get murdered by the sea wall - it would really put a damper on your day (and ours too!).

Tet, dental ‘popups’ is an interesting concept - I can only imagine. But I can’t imagine 2.5 hrs in the dental chair.

Evanflein, I saw that wine/snow map, and was disappointed to see that we weren’t in a higher bottle count area. Yes, I would have helped out my neighbors if they reported to be wineless.

Congrats on meeting a new old neighbor, Deeze.

Interviewing can be both stressful and fun, Mariposai. I’m glad you had a good time with it. Sorry about the sinus/ear infection - I hope it passes quickly.

Steve, congrats on being the delivery guy’s first Batman.

Given that there was still snow/ice on the roads on my way home yesterday, and that it was going down to the low 20s overnight so everything would freeze up, and that, like Lori, I'm ice-averse these days, I decided not to venture out this morning, and spent the time instead watching a replay of last night's Planning Board meeting (there was an application being discussed/decided that our conservation commission has an interest in), and reading about the proposed federal budget. I might have been better off going out and falling on the ice...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

''I dove into a cold pool once, Tomwhite, and it literally took my breath away.''

...for The Record so did I

..........and did the work-out,

but I wasn't Happy,

I just didn't want to dry off and come back later

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I was more worried about the hotel than the sea wall.  I'm not a hotel snob, but this place needs to be leveled and started over!

4.5 miles on the sea wall. Lots of noisy sea birds, part of a sunrise, and wind in my face on the way out.  Holy humidity.  That should do it for Corpus Christi running for awhile.  Question of the day is:  Does Whataburger serve breakfast?  When in Rome......and as awful as this hotel is, I'm not inclined to try the restaurant.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Jay--"spent the time instead watching a replay of last night's Planning Board meeting."  Having been to many of these, I know that's dedication!

Jlynne--bummer about the flu. Hope it passes quickly.

Mike--you've been running great lately.  (Yeah, I've been log stalking.) Nice long tempo yesterday.

Denise--those "small world" stories are always fun.

Mari--hope you feel better soon.

KSA--Sounds like an interesting trip.  Before the days of easy internet hotel reviews, when I was a poor grad student, I booked a room in a cheap hotel for a conference in Washington, DC.  When I got there, I saw the check-in counter had bullet-proof glass. ..... Uh oh.

I'm thinking of jumping back into the marathon game this Fall. Steamtown?  Hmmmmm.....

11 miles with 4 tempo miles. I did two of the tempo miles, then turned 90-degrees right into the wind for the third mile. Ouch.  Fortunately, I did a U-turn for the 4th mile and had the same wind at my back as I was fading.  Still in the 20s here today but should be warming this weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Yes, Tramps! We were talking about a fall marathon in a state we don't have, and Steamtown in PA came up as a good possibility. La Tortuga wants to do it, too. We're just at that stage now (talking) so no real planning, but it's penciled in.

More than the reading of the Planning Board, I'd find reading the first release of the federal budget to be downright depressing. Who needs Arts, Humanities, public broadcasting...? Good grief. Good call though to avoid the ice, Jay.

We've stayed in some real dumps in this crazy marathon quest of mine. When you've spent most of the money on airfare and car rentals, something's gotta give. Usually that means we look for a hotel in the sub-$90 range and oh boy, in some areas you find some doozies!

Yesterday was 4.1 miles on the elliptical. Today will be a run day (yay!). But, even though we're bright and sunny these days, the temperatures have been chilly and the wind yesterday was downright bracing! So, with highs around 5° today, I think I'll find a treadmill somewhere to get in my 4-5 miles.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Steamtown sounds interesting but I doubt hubby would be up for another runcation this year. Sigh.

Today we ran together. The discrepancy in our pace doesn't usually make this desirable but today he slowed for me since I was doing speedwork which would speed me up a bit at least on those intervals. 8 miles with 5x1mile repeats. Still too fast but IMO that is better than too slow. AND we saw 2 coyote or fox or a hybrid of them running along the trail. So cool and beautiful.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

...40-min PoolRun,

no belt, closed fists, run in shallows, push against water...........ohboyohboy

Funny what Passes for Normal

..............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Jay - I think my butt issue is less painful than that report you had to read.  And when standing, I do spend time putting even weight on both legs, but have a tendency to lean more on the left.  And as you said, yes, this is causing some minor issues, mostly that my left foot is very unhappy.  But I find that if I take a wide stance my right side doesn't seem to be affected too bad.  I'm thinking about doing this crutch thing through Saturday, then see what going back to regular motoring does.

We've stayed in the fleabag places because of finances.  A couple of them still make me shudder.

I promised The Hub frozen yogurt if he would come in with me this weekend to work and help me put my new desk together.  He can't resist frozen yogurt.  I also reminded him that I had brought in his electric drill to use, but he now needs it back for a job tomorrow so that means I can't work on the desk tomorrow as I had planned. After a brief pause, he said, "You suck" and went back to reading. This means he will. 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I'm jumping back into marathon with Hatfield and McCoy in WVA in June.  it's hard and hot, so no pressure.  Then- Minneapolis in October for my new age group.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

five moonlit miles before today's 7:19 a.m. sunrise.

No rain.

Maybe I could learn to like the First Rule of  Running, after all.

Plum blossoms seemed happy too.

We've stayed in some real dumps in this crazy marathon quest of mine.

Do back seats, tents, park benches, etc. count when you're on your own?

Now that I don't live there any more, no car in Japan for Mt. Fuji Summit Race,

IM Japan, etc. when all local accommodations were long taken but sleeping bag

along beaches, next to rice paddies, Mt.  Fuji, etc. really much more convenient

to race venues anyway than business hotels, hostels, capsules, etc.

Best was sleep-bagging on the big berm around the main moat of the Imperial Palace

as the only spacious green space in downtown Tokyo for one of the Japan 100-Marathon

Joyful Running Club's Imperial Palace Marathons .

I fully expected to be aroused by guard dogs or something in the middle of the night

but, instead, just woke up to a light morning drizzle and had great race,

plus can now say that I've stayed at the Imperial Palace!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

A not quite so freezing my butt off as yesterday but still rather chilly 6.

Just a touch under actually, as they were doing some power-line work on my usual route so I had to improvise and came up a little short.

There is a charity food truck event in the work car park, so I wasn't about to run a couple of loops round it to get the mileage right.

They already think I am quite crazy enough as it is

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

evanflein

After a brief pause, he said, "You suck" and went back to reading. This means he will. 

Ah, true terms of endearment!

Tet, no. No camping for this girl unless I had something like Carolyn's van. Even during the relay Ragnar Del Sol I was the one who stayed in the van in my sleeping bag although dAAve went into the gym. The others slept out in what I think was a football field. I've got this thing about creepy crawly things that could crawl into my sleeping bag.

Ok, so Steamtown is October 8. Oddly enough it's not in the Marathon Maniacs race calendar yet so I did send in that request. Registration is (currently) $90 and if you cancel by September 8 (I think that's the date), you can get $25 of that back. It's not much, but better than any other marathon I've seen. It's a net downhill race but there are some uphills in the end. Figure it'll be a good post-Equinox marathon for me. Just gotta stay un-injured. Would sure be fun to have a RA meetup!

Dave59

3 for me. Still in Florida. 29° this morning. Only 40° colder than a run here last year at this time.

After it got into the 50's, we took the grandkids to the park. I swore I went up the steps and down the slide 100 times before I finally wore out the 2-year old.  She is now crashed in her room taking a nap.  Probably something I should do too or I may not be able to keep up with her the rest of the day.

Tramps

Cat--there's a good t-shirt out there that goes something like: "People think I'm crazy because I run.  Trust me, if I didn't run, you'd see crazy."  Amen.

Leslie--the "you suck" line was sweet.

Hmmmm...... (continues)

• An enthusiastic bunch of reviews of Steamtown too (though I'm always a little leery of Marathon Guide).
                              • It's early enough that I'd have plenty of time to do Richmond too (11/11).  (Mike, did you ever get a VA marathon done?)
                              • 5-hour road trip for me; doable and probably worth skipping the airport hassle.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

no tent camping for this country girl either. I like my RV. It's small but has the essentials I want: a real bed, shower, toilet, fridge, stove, micro, etc. very comfortable given it's size of only 18 ft.

I haven't run in 3 days but it's just due to being VERY busy at work and after work, but just finished up a major deadline with some evidentiary motions I was writing, so I already feel my load lightened, even though I have other work still to be done, but I will leave work a little early and get in a run today. maybe 4 miles or so.

Tammy