Masters Running

Friday August 1 runs and stuff (Read 405 times)

Holly S. I am probably the last person who should comment on where to draw the line! I typically push it and on occasion break it all for the worse. But . . . a couple of years ago I had to take 3 months off to recover from Achilles Tendinitis. Well, I was supposed to take 3 months off. After about 2 months and 3 weeks I started up again. I too felt the tendon was still not quite right, but not quite sore either when I ran. Nevertheless, I came back on a routine that slowly but steadily increased in miles from an initial run of 1.8! (I tell you those were the hardest and longest 1.8 miles of my life too! I was so out of shape!) Cutting to the chase here, eventually I fully recovered. So you can heal and run at the same time. But, as I have also discovered, you can also run and not heal too. Tough call. All you can do is monitor things and see how they go. If your injury does not continue to resolve itself you just have to take several additional weeks off. Good luck. tselbs have fun at the family reunion. How many people typically show up? Also, nice 8 mile run yesterday. perchcreek as always a very nice workout. stumpy77 no cranky knee is good. Can you say permanent marker? Wink Dave59 I take it instead of a day off? Sounds like a good morning for an unscheduled run. Tramps a pox on you for cheering on the end of summer! Downhill is right! Soon I will be checking the weather to see if it will even pass 30 before I head out . . . my whole day is shot! Shot I tell you! Angry Oh yea, nice 7 mile run today and 10 yesterday! Big grin SueT48 nice hill run. Good day for it here in the NE. Jlynne running is just tougher on some parts of the body than anything else. Going to the doctor is probably a good idea though. Just be prepared for him to say no running for many weeks to come. Sad A good friend of mine had an overuse hip injury and it took him 6 months to recover! I do hope your injury heals a LOT faster than that. These things can just end up taking a lot of time. Best of luck. CNYrunner where are you today? You remind me of where in the world is . . . The humidity in CT is pretty low today so I would have figured it would be even lower in MA. HandyMom four in the heat is better than four in the cold. DickyG morning run followed by swamped at work! Boy can I relate! In fact what am I doing writing this whole thing! Yesterday fjordrunner congratulations on breaking the century mark with your run! Spareribs I too am glad to hear the news so far is good. WRFB hey 9 is not so bad. pdr nice 9 too. breger1 6 ez beats sitting on the couch - even if "nothing special." Ask most people about running 6 miles and they look at you like you just suggested climbing Everest tomorrow! biketm nice 12 miler. Good luck with the running shoe quest. Tallrunner not race tuned for you equals pretty much way faster than most of us can hope for! The Jogger nice 8 on the hills. lyndenrunner see note to breger1 above. Peter NC good 10 mile hill run. Mariposai ummm cherries . . . I love those things . . . pack some up and mail them to . . . dg. you ran without a GPS or similar tracking device! Shocked I am not sure I could have done it! I am such an addict now! Cry mirko hey 5 miles is good. Hope the pool was warm. enkephalin nice 12 on the hills with a negative split! Very nice! BCMorant careful with that Garmin or you will wind up like me! btb hmm, are you reading the daily? evanflein if somebody deserves to see some good weather it has to be you. I hope the weather cooperates and the flood waters never really appear. nonoruns anything you can think of to keep your body going during a run is good! If window treatments are the topic of the day just go with it. Did you decide on anything? Spareribs keep healing and come back soon! Me Today is my rest day before tomorrow's race. Yea another odd distance. This time 5.9 miles. I like the way the hills come and go on this course so I am looking forward to running it. Yesterday it was 6 miles with some friends of mine along the beach. A nice surprise was when one who I had expected to go only 5 (despite her claims to planning on doing all 6) really kept going and did all 6. I wonder . . . is she going longer to try and fit into her wedding dress in a few weeks? Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I don't like sharing the limelight with anyone, especially Spareribs so I waited until today to post the picture DW and I took last night. Whenever we are in town when it is our anniversary we take a picture in the place we were married (Highland Park in Rochester, NY) 15 years ago. We went to a very nice restaurant overlooking the High Falls in downtown and then dessert at the Corn Hill Creamery for homemade icecream. I need to go run that off now. PS Soo glad to hear Spareribs was cracking jokes and singing after surgery. The man is truly a triple threat.
        Ran 2.8 this morning on my favorite rail-trail. Not entirely pain-free -- which is one reason why I didn't take it to 3 miles -- but there is definitely no residual soreness. Previously, running would leave me with soreness that lasted a day or so afterwards, so I assume that this means progress of some sort. Sunday is my running club's "bagel day" at the park. I think I'll take my bike and ride the road loop and wave at everyone running the path, but at least I can partake of coffee and bagels when I'm done. Also, I hope Mustang Sally doesn't mind if I hijack this image that she recently posted over at KR:

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

ROTF!!!! That is too funny! Thanks, Mustang Sally and rochrunner for toting it here! It's so good to have good news from Texas. .........................and I needed that, as my Garmin died. Took it off the charging pod, where it said charging was complete, and it just won't come on no matter how hard or often I push the start button Cry And I need it this weekend No Ah well and que serra and so much for crumbled cookies -- and, so long Manny. Jason Bay's dad (in British Columbia) is a huge Sox fan. THis bodes well, I hope. grins, A
          Masters 2000 miles
          DickyG

Also, I hope Mustang Sally doesn't mind if I hijack this image that she recently posted over at KR:
            Hah! Cracked me up!...(mental image of milk squirting out of nose.....) Question: What is KR? DickyG
              .........................and I needed that, as my Garmin died. Took it off the charging pod, where it said charging was complete, and it just won't come on no matter how hard or often I push the start button Cry And I need it this weekend No
              Amos it sounds like your Garmin just needs to be reset...at least give it a try... Just press the "mode" and "reset" button at the same time for about 10 seconds and then it should come on for you by pressing the "on" button. I figure I owe you one for all those jokes! Wink
              Dave59

Question: What is KR? DickyG
                It refers to the Masters Forum on Kickrunners: http://www.kickrunners.com When Coolrunning had a messy "upgrade", the Masters folks from there ended up partially here at RunningAhead and partially at Kickrunners. Oddly enough, one of the posters who came here, who was a big part in my decision where to go was Dark Horse who then ended up disappearing from the cyber world. His posts always were very entertaining.

Oh that's a scream! Thanks for posting that here Rochrunner. Mustang Sally has an awesome sense of humor. I worry that Ribs will bust his stitches/staples when he sees that one. DickyG--KR is kickrunners.com and many folks from here also post there. Back to my desk, but I don't feel like concentrating today! Karin
                  evanflein

evanflein if somebody deserves to see some good weather it has to be you. I hope the weather cooperates and the flood waters never really appear.
                    Well, Twocat, I wish I could say probably so... but DH and I drove out to the start of Saturday's race, where it follows a bikepath under a bridge next to the river... It's under about 3 ft of fast moving water! And it rained all night again. Hmmm, this is getting old. I left a voice mail for one of the people listed as a contact for race information, asking if they're going to re-route or re-schedule and she didn't call me back. I suspect they have no idea what to do. I can't remember one of our races ever being "flooded out." I also hear they'll lower the gates on the flood control dam upriver which would flood the plain used by the Half Marathon. That could be interesting. Holly, Yea!! But do be careful... I know you will but you tend to push the envelope a bit and now is not the time for that. Tramps (and Steve), I'll take some of that heat. Got enough humidity though, the solid form. Would like to find a taker for that... Today's a regular rest day. In a burst of blind optimism (or stupid habit) I brought my running stuff to work cuz I'd like to get a couple of easy miles in at mid-day. I've really gotten to like that break and can't believe I've gone so long without doing it! Running after work last night seemed to make the whole night get late and off track. But it's raining pretty good now, low lying clouds settled in over the valley... looks like it's here to stay awhile.
                      9 mile get rid of last night's dessert run. Ran a skinny loop course with the 2nd half into the wind but today the breeze felt good on my face. Rochrunner loved the newspaper article!
                      Mariposai

Twocats, I love your postings since they are a live saver to me when my busy schedule does not allow me to read all the postings. So.....as a thank you, I wouldn't mind sending you a bag of my newly dried cherries...they are sure yummie this year. Email me at nancyquiindy at yahoo dot com. Came to work only for one lousy hour to attend a conference call. Off now and let the fun begin.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

.........................and I needed that, as my Garmin died. Took it off the charging pod, where it said charging was complete, and it just won't come on no matter how hard or often I push the start button
                          There is a button sequence to reset it. I think you press mode-lap at the same time, or power-lap at the same time, or mode-start. One of those. Try mode-lap then power to see what happens.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

TheSaint

Just stopped home for a bit after spending some time with Ribs. After a set back last,night he's doing better. He started bleeding again last night and for a time they were thinking of taking him back into surgery. They were able to get that under control and gave him another unit of blood and no longer seems to be an issue. He's having difficulty and pain breathing which of course makes talking and moving more difficult as well. He's working hard on his breathing exercises and I know he will be a model patient. More tubes and monitors have been removed and the doctors are very pleased with his progress. They told him to expect to feel worse as the day goes on and even worse tomorrow, then Sunday start seeing improvement. He was discouraged to hear that, but he appreciates having his expectations set.
                              There is a button sequence to reset it. I think you press mode-lap at the same time, or power-lap at the same time, or mode-start. One of those. Try mode-lap then power to see what happens.
                              Garmin Forerunner 205 and 305 reset System Reset - resetting a Garmin Forerunner 205/305 This procedure should be tried before returning a unit to BHIP Ltd. (returns procedure) Also, please ensure you are running the very latest version of unit software available. Check this at www.garmin.com, then outdoor products, then forerunner 205/305, then downloads and upgrades. "To power the unit back on, press the "Mode" and "Reset" buttons at the same time. Let go of those two buttons, press the power button, and the unit will turn back on." If the unit is no longer displaying maps or lap data in the PC downloaded history ....perform a reset (as above) AFTER deleting all the Garmin HISTORY. This is done on the unit by navigating through HISTORY to "DELETE ALL" ---> now perform a soft reset. For resetting of Forerunner 101/201/301: Garmin Forerunner 101 Soft Reset instructions Turn the unit off. If you cannot turn it off, due to a "lock up", leave the system the drain the battery. With the unit "OFF" Press and keep holding the "MODE" button Press and keep holding the "POWER" button Release the "POWER" button Release the "MODE" button The unit will ask if you are sure you want to perform a full reset (you will loose all stored data) Reply by pressing "ENTER" button. The unit has now been reset. You now need to enter your Garmin Forerunner 101 personal data. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3 miles recovery today last evening, I ran a little 5K race with DS2 (Ky-man, age11), although he was sick and drugged with benedryl and decongestant-he wanted to run the race 'easy'. I finished in 21:19 (a mere 11 seconds worse than last year) holding on for 3AG, 19OA. He sported a nice time of 30:22 (my exact prediction to the second, ha!) finishing ahead of 200+ people. Not bad for the boy and I'm fairly happy with my own effort, but thrilled with his. Must have been 'Ribs egging me on to go faster... http://www.coolrunning.com/results/0...eme_set1.shtml --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Very excellent to hear that spareribs feels 'Great!', despite the little setback with bleeding. He's going to be so much better in the end. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- and I, for one, am thrilled with Jason Bay...I've been sick watching Manny whine lately (really for years now) and despite his aptitude for hitting, the negative energy transferred to the rest of the team has been infectious. have a nice weekend everyone

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

posie - are you okay? Fire threatens Homes

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)