Masters Running

Thursdaily, 1.15.24 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I hope everyone survived Valentines Day. I got some bunches of flowers for DW and put them in several vases that i scattered around the house, and I made a tasty pasta dinner (with garlic, diced tomatoes, chopped olives, capers, bread crumbs and meatballs) for us that we enjoyed in front of a nice fire in the wood stove. I don't think that tops Steve's Valentine potato.

Nice 3 h&s mile with wildlife sightings from the porch, Wildchild.

Good 6.7 final island run, KSA, with shoes, and with sightings of all kinds of island stuff.

How'd the ebike ride go, Tet?

Nice virtual New Zealand bike ride, dnaff. Seems like Mr. Gallbladder is making a quick recovery fro his surgery - I hope it continues to go well.

Good core, ST, and balance work in the shed, Leslie. I'm glad Sam is finding his voice and is feeling at home. Congrats to the Hub for deciding to lose the chew.

Good strength work at the gym, Doug. Probably a good idea to skip the lunges and give the knee a break. Interesting that AI was up to your poetic challenge.

40 minutes in mud had to be tough work, Tomwhite. Thanks for the Halt recco.

I hope this isn't the worst 79 days of your programming life, Dave. You'll be busy, and that will help the time pass quickly. Do give yourself sanity breaks. But make sure it doesn't pass so quickly that you miss your footing again. I hope you aren't too bruised and battered today.

Nice lunchtime, windy 21.5 mile ride, Tramps. I'm glad ChatGPT served you well on Valentines Day too. I'm staying away from the racism in sports rabbit hole.

Sorry you were under-dressed for your 18 miler, Twocat. Usually, when I feel chilled, I go a little faster to try to get a bit more heat out of this body's furnace.

I'm glad the colonoscopy went well, anneb, and I hope for your sake that is the last one for quite a while. And I hope your shoulder issue resolves itself well before your mid-July appointment.

Good lunchtime, knee-healing run, Mariposai. I hope yesterday's meetings went well.

Nice work on getting your MIL some heat, and hopefully that'll hold till the new furnace gets installed on Friday.

We had a very productive meeting yesterday with regional planning commissions in NH and MA, trying to forge some cross-border relationships and joint grant and project opportunities.

In a short while, I'm heading out to meet with some folks to assess some deteriorating sand dune walkover structures as part of a project to replace at least some of them with better and more environmentally-sound walkovers. Should be interesting.

I woke up a few minutes early this morning, and decided that it didn't sound too windy outside for a workout. I was mostly right. I went 6.3 RW miles in 25° temps and in what felt like swirling winds to make for a very refreshing workout. I did some work on my stride length, and finished with a good average. My PT wondered if there is a device I can use to measure the stride length on each foot to make sure that they are the same and that my body is in good balance. I'll have to look into that.

OK - gotta go.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - neat about walkovers.

Are they like the boardwalks and bridges,  etc. over wetlands, marshes and swamps, tundra, etc.? However, aren't sand dunes for running up and down on and then letting the winds and elements restore for the next time?

I think I'm kind of like you mentioned the other day and, even though the rental ebike ride was only six miles, the unused quads while I was laid up for over two months made 'em feel tired like after one of the annual century rides I used to be able to do.

Dave - can't ya get a 79 day medical leave for your fall? In the meantime, maybe avoid any trail running for a while.

Overnight temps got down close enough to freezing so enough of the nocturnal precipitation was still snowy enough when it hit the ground to allow a first sighting of some remnant wet stuff still white enough on the grassy playgrounds and medians, windshields,  etc. to give, at least, a tiny taste of winter. See ya! , . . . before it all soon goes away.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Morning Masters.

Nice touch for valentine's Jay. Also solid RW workout.

Those light snow dustings are pretty. Glad you got a sight of them tet.

20 minutes for 6 miles on Peleton this morning and I will get a club run tonight. Started reducing cycle time and adding strength and stretching workouts. That is one of my Lenten challenges.

DW and I celebrated valentine on Fat Tuesday with a wine tasting at a local spot. It was quiet which we enjoyed.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

good morning masterful runners!

I had a nice V-Day. DH took me to a local boutique that sells Brighton jewelry (my favorite brand of jewelry) and told me to pick out whatever I would like. So picked out a pendant necklace and some matching earrings. So many beautiful pieces to choose from and it was hard to narrow it down but I kept going back to a particular piece that caught my eye. Then we went to our favorite restaurant for dinner. It was a nice casual relaxed evening. 

Will get in a run after work. It's our weekly running group night, so unless it's pouring rain in which case I'll go to the gym, I plan on meeting up with them for the usual 5K route and will get in some bonus miles before that too. 

have a good thursday all!

Tammy

Dave59

Got an early start to work this morning so I could get a couple quality hours in before the day started, I was able to go out a little bit ago for 3 miles at the park. 50s, sunny, and a little breezy. A perfect day.

My right elbow and shoulder are sore but not too sore to run obviously. My back felt like it was seizing up when I started the run but it loosened up pretty quick.

I may go to the clinic for my elbow. I'll go to one that I know has an x-ray machine in case that is needed, I don't want to have to be referred somewhere else.

Thanks for the start, Jay.

Dave - Don't underestimate your body wondering what the heck for a few days.

We exchanged cards and that was it.  Haven't even done that in years, so I don't know what's going on with us.  It's weird. 

5 quiet predawn miles.  Almost didn't get up because of a lousy night of sleep, but reminded myself that I'm working on stopping the excuses.  Ended up being a decent run, although my right hamstring started to tighten up at the end.

I was listening to Trailrunnernation Tuesday and the guest was Brian Chontosh who'd been on before.  This time he talked about a race he and 3 other guys participated in which they rowed 3,000 miles across the Atlantic Ocean.  The documentary is "The Standard." It's worth watching.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy Thursday friends!!

Well today's run felt quite a bit different than my last run on Sunday in St Croix!!!  Temps here were around 20 with a feel like of 10 with the wind!! I actually overdressed a tad because I was worried about the temp shock, but it was all good!!
                6 miles with the SS crew with a .2 mile walk cool down, protein shake for recovery

Church and prayer group breakfast - lots of talk about the Hallo App for Lent both with my running friends and prayer group friends

I didn't celebrate Fat Tuesday or Valentine's Day this year - well I did wear a Love Always shirt at work yesterday. I did a cleanse day Tuesday to detox from vacation and fasted yesterday for Ash Wednesday - food was very good today!! 

DH did get me a card and some chocolates and snacks even tho we specifically said nothing this year - that man!!  

Now have to do some picking up around the house - my mom is coming over for the night and it makes me feel like a teenager needing to clean their room when she comes to stay!! She is very particular about cleaning and organized and lets just say - I'm not!!!

Dave - hope your elbow and rest of your body is ok!! Scary fall!!

denise

Tramps

Jay--wow, we had about the same temps this morning. That doesn't happen often.

anneb--glad the procedure was uneventful.

Mariposai--realizing you've forgotten a meeting is a good way to get speed work in!

Steve--Ah, the traditional Valentine's day potato. Nice.

Dave--if you don't want to do that project, you can always retire, you know. No need to throw yourself down the stairs.

deez--welcome back. Spring is coming.

Drove up to the trailhead lot on the preserve and ran to the peninsula point, 5.3 trail miles. Everything felt good.

As I was finishing up, I saw an unfamiliar car in the lot with one of those magnetic business signs on the door:  "Mountain Trails Training." I thought "Oh wow, a serious trail runner!" I looked them up online when I got home and it turns out they are dog trainers. Oops.

Also, I saw a large male bald eagle (so white head) swoop down from the trees over our road as I was driving back. It proceeded to just follow the road so I followed it slowly for at least a quarter mile. We see them fairly frequently but they're always a treat.

Be safe. Be kind.

I had a nice V-Day. DH took me to a local boutique that sells Brighton jewelry (my favorite brand of jewelry) and told me to pick out whatever I would like.

My dream V-day would be for my DW to do that for me, but at a bike shop!  We didn't do anything special for yesterday other than our usual comfortable routines, but that's OK for both of us.

Tramps, my DW is bummed that we went to both Alaska and Montana and never saw a bald eagle!  We actually have a few around here and I saw one a while back out at a local park but she has yet to see one other than in a cage.

Dave, I believe we have a running rule about not falling but I guess we need a Dave59 addendum that adds walking around the house! It sounds like your aftereffects aren't too bad but you should get that elbow checked out.

I worked at the library this morning and am taking a day off from working out. We had a couple of snow squalls this morning and now the wind has picked up big-time. In fact, I was starting in on entering our tax data into TurboTax when the lights flickered a couple of times -- a frequent precursor to a power outage. So I saved and exited and decided to check RA instead...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

BTY

Good afternoon, Masters!

Dave, I'm glad to hear that you are generally feeling good after that fall.  I was really concerned.  Keep vigilant!

For Valentine's Day, DW asked me to take her to a place we've never been before.  We went out to an early breakfast at a place called the Chuck Wagon Diner.   It's everything you would expect except that it doesn't have a large parking area for tractor trailers.  I was surprised that it was as quiet as it was, but as we left the regulars (all called by first name, by the server/owner) started filing in.  Breakfast was better than I hoped or even dared to expect.  We'll be back!

I got in a short workout last night after our Ash Wednesday Service and pre-service pot-luck supper.   There weren't many people there so the only real food was leftover Ziti from the Night to Shine at our church from last Friday, and the chicken meatballs and sausage that DW made.  It made it kind of nice - sometimes the stomach objects to too much variety that can happen at a potluck.

Part of my swim workout was a 500 yard freestyle.  I used to do 500's all the time.  Some workouts were just 2500 to 4000 yards of freestyle, 500 yards at a time, with 1:00 to 2:00 breaks in between them.  Last night was only 1600 yards so the 500 was about 1/3 of the total volume.   The big difference between now and 4 years ago when I was doing all those 500's, is that last night I did one at an easy pace in 7:39.  4 years ago I was pushing to get down to 8:30 or so.   +/-1:30/100 pace instead of 1:40 to 1:50.     I did a fist pump when I looked up after touching the wall - my time was 7:39 and I was shooting for 7:40, which was a 1:32/100 pace.   At last year's Empire State Senior Games that time would have earned a Gold Medal in my AG - simply because no men in the 50-54, 55-59, or 60-64 AG's entered.   Kind of surprising!  But that's how I win a lot of medals at the ESSG's - no competition.

Thanks, Jay.  Great recap.   We had a nice dinner at a casual place we like on Amelia Island- it's Korean (I guess) and they have Bao sandwiches, which are sort of Korean tacos.  They have other things, too.   Today is Ken's birthday and our flight was 7 am this morning, so not a lot of fun getting up at 4:30 am (3:30 our time).  We were in the Nashville airport before 8 am.  Ugh.  I just finished running and it felt terrible to start, but got somewhat better.  4.2 miles done.  I had 3 longish days in a row in Florida, so my legs were tired and it isn't flat here.  It's really nice weather- 64 and sunny for my run.

Ken will make us a HelloFresh for his birthday dinner.  Here are a couple of pictures from the trip, now that I am back on a real computer.  It's so peaceful and uncrowded at the times we go there.  I don't know what summer season is like.

May be an image of 1 person, sea bird, beach, ocean and horizon

May be an image of sea bird and spotted sandpiper

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Glad you had a good trip, Karen, and happy birthday to Ken!

Dave, that fall sounds scary - glad it wasn't any worse!  Good that you got out for a run today.  Hope the work project somehow gets less stressful, or at least that you get less stressed by it.

Tramps, male and female bald eagles both have white heads.  And the females are larger.

Doug, how is it possible to go to Alaska and not see a bald eagle??

No run today, because we went early to hike in a biological reserve.  We hiked about 5 miles, and it was nice at the start but a sweat fest by the end, as the day heated up!  But we saw lots of wildlife, including a whole troop of capuchin monkeys, several agouti, two peccaries, a coati, two toucans, and iguanas and lizards!  Also lots of birds.  After our hike we went to a nearby beach for a swim, then stopped at another waterfall with swimming hole.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

anneb

I'm somewhat disappointed that the thread has been up all day and I didn't see anyone comment that it isn't actually 1.15.24! Well, I am at least happy that it's February and not January...

No workout again and I don't know if I'll feel like doing anything when I get home from work. At this moment... I don't.

KSA - I'm not sure about Amelia but Ponte Vedra Beach (where FIL and SIL live) has gotten much busier since the pandemic. Nice to know it's pretty quiet still. And of course Jacksonville weather is always better than Chicago weather in February, even if it is 'cold'. In 2015, I ran the big Jacksonville race (also in Feb) and it was about 40 in the morning and you should have seen what people were wearing - to run! And the comments... 

Anne

Y'all are making me jealous with those tropical beach vacations and photos!

And Tammy, wow on DH's Valentine gift idea.

Roch - there is a stretch of interstate hiway going from Blaine WA (I-5) to Vancouver BC (99) that is along the coast. One time I saw literally, and I do mean literally, at least 60 bald eagles.

I gotta stop the excuses and get out there.

[rant on] Yesterday I had a bad day at work. There is a VP-level MD who always cuts me off in meetings after I just begin to say a few words, so I never get to say what I intend to say, and explain it. This happened 2 or 3 times lately and was really bugging me. So yesterday I decided I would not let her do that. I started to give an opinion on something (which opposed her opinion) and she again, loudly, started over-talking me. So, I did a childish thing and just started talking even louder, not stopping until after she stopped talking and had to listen to me. The fallout was she did not get my point, and thought I didn't understand a basic concept, so went ahead to explain this basic concept to me. That wasn't at all what I was talking about. I was so frazzled and embarrassed that I had raised my voice that I gave up the argument and didn't reply. So I failed at a peaceful discussion, failed to get my point understood, and additionally made everyone think I'm a dummy that doesn't understand a basic concept. Then of course, my direct manager chided me later about this...he also didn't get what I was trying to say.  Needless to say, I had a terrible sleep last night but felt better today when I checked some stuff and am even more convinced my opinion is valid and correct. But, she calls the shots so no point bringing it up again. [rant off]

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

enke= that's frustrating.  A mature person would tell you to go to her outside any meetings and calmly tell her how you feel when she cuts you off that way and won't listen.   I'm not a mature person, so I'm asking you if there is some way you can get revenge? Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth