Masters Running

Weighty matters goal thread (Aug 6) (Read 369 times)

Tramps

I've really gotten into the habit of jumping on the scale first thing in the morning and recording a daily weight.  Interesting to see the major daily fluctuations of 2 or 3 pounds sometimes.  Anyway....

A loss of less than a pound for me this week.  I think it's gonna be tough from here on out.

Start = 160

W#1 = 158.9

W#2 = 157.8

W#3 = 157

Goal <155

Ideal = 150

So how's your scale looking this week?

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I jumped into this thread a couple of weeks ago, and instead of really particpating, I kept eating and not getting much excercise.    So finally, this past Monday I finally wrapped my head around the fact that the weight is just not going to magically disappear as I continue to eat cookies, ice cream, and anything else that looks good and is bad for me.

I stepped on the scale and braced myself for the number that I have not seen in years!  ugh!    Today is day 4 of good eating ...... I've had enough.     I'll have to pop in on Monday's with my weight loss as I refuse to weigh myself before then.

Thanks for keeping this thread going.  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Weighed in at 188 this morning.  lowest non-running morning so far.  My goal is back to 180, but I'll be happy to stay below 185.  At that point the paunch is pretty much gone and all my pants fit, not just my jeans.  I think doing away with my morning poptart and switching from chips to carrots for lunch has helped a little

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary - Monday would not be my day to weigh in - after the weekend's overeat I need at least a couple days to level out again...

No weighing for me until next week..I'm taking a vacation from the scale....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I think doing away with my morning poptart and switching from chips to carrots for lunch has helped a little

Ya think?   Although me loves my chips.  Mmmmm!  Salty!

Weighed in 142.1.  I'll take it.  Every once in awhile I get a wild hair in the wrong place and think, boy, 135 sure would be nice.  However, it's not feasible as I would have to practically starve myself.  As it is, I have a hard time not crashing in the afternoons, let alone further depriving myself.  And I fully believe that deprivation is bad for the soul . . . and my attitude.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090806/hl_time/08599191485700

if you want to lose weight you need to stop excercising apparently.  Me?  202 pounds this morning.  This running faster thing would be a little easier at 195 pounds so I guess I'll try and get there. 

Hum.  I was down to 141, and now am back up to 143.5 this AM.  I weigh in every day, but  eat too much in the latter part of the day.  Too much fat, and I have a sweet tooth.  Plenty of exercise, though.  Problem seems to be that when I run, I get hungry, and am often fighting off low blood sugar feelings afterwards.  I have yet to find the happy medium of knowing what I need, and what I don't in term of calories. In comes the excuse to just eat.  Hope the thread keeps going.
                Tramps

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090806/hl_time/08599191485700

if you want to lose weight you need to stop excercising apparently.  Me?  202 pounds this morning.  This running faster thing would be a little easier at 195 pounds so I guess I'll try and get there. 

Ugh.  Articles like that bug the heck out of me.  This is not rocket science but these articles just confuse things.  

We all know it's pretty basic:  Increased weight comes from an excess of calories.  If we take in more calories than we burn, we gain weight.  If we burn more calories than we take in, we lose weight. 

If we want to lose weight we need to either increase activity to burn more calories, reduce caloric intake, or both. If you pig out because you think exercise somehow gives you a free pass to do so, you'll likely gain weight . 

Why is that so difficult to understand? 

Here's where I plug my planned weight loss book: "Move More, Eat Less"

Be safe. Be kind.

"In general, for weight loss, exercise is pretty useless," says Eric Ravussin, chair in diabetes and metabolism at Louisiana State University and a prominent exercise researcher.

my book is called "Move More, or Eat Less... you pick one.  You know... if you want to.  I mean you look great but if you wanted to drop a few pounds that is... well... you could do one of those things." 

Catchy? 

evanflein

Woods Lady, I have a similar problem. I eat pretty well all day but snack and nibble when I'm bored. Or if dinner gets late, I'll nibble away a whole meal's worth of calories before it's ready.

Leslie, me too. I was 132 to 135 a couple years ago, then for some reason I just gained about 10 pounds over a period of a few months, and they stayed. I didn't think I was doing anything differently, but apparently I was. Very frustrating. But, now I'm steadily dropping, sort of stair step fashion. Down a couple pounds, hold for a few weeks/months, then down a couple more. I was 141.5 for  the longest time at the beginning of the year, now I'm between 137-138 these days. I'll take it. DH doesn't want me to lose any more though, and my clothes fit better so it's good.

Renee the dog

Is it Thursday?  My goodness Thursday is hard for me to remember.  I haven't weighed in this week so I have no idea what my number is 'cept that it is up -- I've been eating like a linebacker again.  Calming down today.  Can't pinpoint the root of the eating frenzy, 'cept to say I have a sneaking suspicion it is related to air conditioning use. (more on that theory later).

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Another non-weigher in today ... with being sick recently I'm going to hold off on trusting any number I see.  I also have a long run this weekend so I'll hold off until next Thur to put any stock in a number.  I "feel" about the same as last week though.

Glad to see everyone is still going strong ...

Amie

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Can't pinpoint the root of the eating frenzy, 'cept to say I have a sneaking suspicion it is related to air conditioning use. (more on that theory later).

Uh oh.  It's an A/C conspiracy!

Doug and Tramps - Love the proposed titles of your respective books.  I see a friend of mine in that article.  She's one of those who thinks that because she ran 18 miles, she can eat a pint of Ben & Jerrys, and then she wonders why she's not losing weight.  It sort of blew my mind when I realized that you don't burn a lot of calories in running.  But consistent exercise ALONG with a smart eating plan will help get the weight off.  And all that's coming off a day of snacking all afternoon in an effort to keep myself awake today.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Prince of Fatness

168 this morning - up 2 pounds.  The roller coaster ride continues.

The basic problem is that while it's true that exercise burns calories and that you must burn calories to lose weight, exercise has another effect: it can stimulate hunger. That causes us to eat more, which in turn can negate the weight-loss benefits we just accrued. Exercise, in other words, isn't necessarily helping us lose weight. It may even be making it harder.

I actually agree with some of the stuff in the article, including the above quote.  I do not like the tone of the article however, because I think that exercise is a good thing and this article seems to discourage it.

For me controlling my weight is all about diet.  It takes much less time and effort to take in 1000 calories then it does to burn them off.  I'm not sure that most people realize how much exercise is required to burn off those couple of slices of pizza.

Not at it at all. 

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, my 92 year old mother is anxious awaiting the arrival of her Time magazine today so that she can give it to ME to read.   She worries about me runnign to much, etc. etc.    We had a bit of a discussion about that article last night.  

I could not resist getting on the scale this morning, simply because I turned down goodies at a party last night - including my biggest summer weakness - ice crean.    Anyway - down 3.4 since Monday.   Maybe that will help me get through a camping weekend without over indulging.   Yay!!!   Smile

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com