Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 10.16.13 (Read 49 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Hope you're a bit more sproinky today, Stumpy.

Congrats on DS#2's engagement, JLynne! Sounds like your granddaughter-to-be is warming up to you nicely.

Have fun at the track today, Ribs.

I'll bet you feel good about choosing a marathon to run, Twocat. Sorry the zombies got you yesterday, cheats that they are.

Looks like a good session yesterday TW.

Welcome back and congrats on sticking to your plan in Chicago, OM! That's an excellent tune-up for MCM.

I hope you are less sore today, Leslie. And I'm glad your house is skunk-free!

3-day old, leftover pizza isn't something I aspire to feel like, Dave. Seems that Annabelle is getting creative with her hair - good thing it'll grow back...

Welcome, Mo Boy. You're one funny guy! But pizza (however old) with milk just isn't happening in this house. Substituting ice cream for meat is an interesting concept...

Sorry about the upset stomach, and the snow, Wildchild.

Good Garmin-free rationalization, Tselbes!  Smile

Good early workout with your DD yesterday, Holly. She's a little speedster, eh?

Sorry about your friend, Wally Bell's passing, Sarge.

So Enke, carrying a bag of dog poop makes you run faster? Congrats on the compliment, regardless of the motivation.

I'm very glad that you and DH got an evening of relaxing with friends, Deez. you, more than most, deserve a break.

Gorgeous run, Mariposai. No wonder you were inspired to put on some speed.

I'm back to my normal (don't say it!) schedule, and was up at about 3:45 and out the door by 4 o'dark this morning. I went 6.8 racewalking miles in a brand-spanking-new pair of Mizuno Musha. The shoes were just a smidge stiff (I didn't beat 'em with a stick before I headed out), but loosened up nicely on the way. The moon had long since set, but low-hanging clouds bounced back some light from surrounding towns. It was in the low 50s, and quite pleasant out there.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

I love moonlit runs...none this morning, not even light bounced off the clouds.

5.65 miles. I ran this on a regular route and felt like I was running a near tempo pace effortlessly. This was not the case...My mind may be tricked but the watch doesn't lie...my morning run turned out to be nothing more than an easy paced run. Enjoyable though.

Last nights run gave me 30 days straight running.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sarge--It was surprising to hear about Wally Bell.  Way too young.  He started really young to have 21 years in the majors by 48.  Guess the fact that I remember his name, but nothing about how he called games meant that he was a good ump.

This running stuff is confusing at times.  this morning was 5.75 miles at what ended up as the same pace as yesterday, but it felt so much better.  Confused  The only reason I didn't hit 6.5 was that I ran out of time.  It was a neat foggy morning.

welcome back, Jay.  nice recap--you're back up to speed already.

Enke--glad to see at least one sproinky run yesterday.  Actually there may have been a couple more (Mari) but that was the first I noticed.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too about Wally Bell.

I hope he got home from the Pittsburgh-St. Louis series but I doubt it.

Sorry you missed the moon set jay but glad things are back to normal for you.

That makes it normal here too.

Hope you get some moonlight as Friday’s fall full approaches.
          In the meantime, not at all normal for me as I got up about a half hour after you did but with four shining miles turning pumpkin orange in preparation for the emerging morning fog.  I guess our moon sets a little later on the Pacific Coast clocks than back there. (4:56 a.m. today, 6:07 a.m. tomorrow and 7:16 a.m. on full friday).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Fly by at work...

5 miles for me this morning in a steady drizzle.

I got Season Two of Game of Thrones from the library and we are working our way through it, one episode each night.  Simultaneously I am reading the third book of that series, and stayed up a bit reading after watching the video.  Not surprisingly, I had Game of Thrones dreams all night.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Good morning gang.

Tamster, great run yesterday.

Taperboy, I wish I could do the back to back marathon you were hinting for me here yesterday, but I have family commitment that weekend. Yes, I wish I could run one more marathon since fitness wise I am rock and rolling, but it seems like I am done with marathons for the season, budget wise. Ohh well, asi es la vida,  I am greatful for the terrific season I had this year.

No running for me this morning. I intended to do a few recovery miles, but I was not able to sleep last night (I am blaming to being over stimulated with the run plus drinking tea before bed, I am very sensitive to caffeine since I don't drink much of it). Anyway I am just very tired and I have another 13 hour work day ahead of me. I know it is going to be a fun day!

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy!!!! What makes you happy?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Quick in and out as I have a conference call in 5 minutes.

5 miles in cold drizzle, 2 x 800 and 1 x 400 at 8/min mile pace.  Felt fine and could have done more.  Spareribs

Nancy, being able to continue running and cycling as much as I want to at my "advanced" age is what makes me happy these days. Watching the Tigers go down with barely a whimper does not!

Just got back from the doctor's office for a routine checkup. I had an all-time good BP at 112/56 and HR of 52. I take some meds for borderline high BP, but maybe having run an hour before had some effect as well. Is that cheating?

Ran 5 miles this morning in still-mild conditions given the time of year. I've really upped my running the last two months (September was my high-mileage month so far) and I hope to keep it going at least until the 10K I'm doing in mid-November. Running with a younger and faster group has helped a lot.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Love Posie Lady's description of her run yesterday.  Nice!

Thanks for the recap, Jay.  I need it. Smile

Beautiful sunrise, but no running in it this a.m.  Instead, I tackled the DVD again this morning.  I better have firmer buns, hips, and arms by the time my 6-week stint is done with this particular video. Evil

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Whew! I needed that recap also. Thanks Jay!  Glad you are back on a normal schedule and not slacking by sleeping in til 4:15 or something silly like that.

busy busy day - leaving work at 3 to go up to David's school for a bit. I'm updating the track & field board that no one has taken care of for a couple yrs now. David's name will be up there twice, so he's anxious for me to get this project done also. Then I'm heading over to MIL's apt for a couple hrs worth of work. On Friday, I'm having a sale and giveaway of much of her belongings for the residents at her senior apartment complex, so I want to get as much stuff set out as I can.  She had a small life insurance policy that we are just tucking away for future fun things. We know she would want David to be able to do some enjoyable things that we would probably not otherwise be able to do, so #1 on his list of best trips ever will be to go to Seattle, see a Hawks game, and then go to Snoqualmie Lodge for breakfast. He's never even been to Snoqualmie Lodge, but DH told him one time (years ago!) about their amazing breakfasts and it obviously made quite an impression on him and it's on his "must do" list. It's funny the things kids just really want.

Tammy

tomwhite maybe you could post a link to the official tomwhite transactor?  Confused  Something that also turns whatever into full sentences all connected in paragraph form.  In the meantime nice "32mprnb" whatever it may be.

OrangeMat great race.  I am happy to hear you had such a good time. Your overall finish just goes to show how valuable a slow start is in a marathon.

fatozzig muscles really should stick around longer than they do when not in use, if you ask me!

Dave59  Great revenge of the father story!  Big grin

mo boy yuck!  That is all I have to say to that breakfast.  Yuck!  Same to your meal Sarge.  Yuck!

Sarge sorry about the loss of your friend.  It sounds like he had a storied career.

wildchild well at least the prairie dogs are cute.

tselbs I have done that with my Garmin.  Pretty frustrating to wake up and discover it is dead.

Holly S. good luck with your DD and what will hopefully be her new hobby/sport.  If it is I sure hope you survive it as she gets better and better!

enkephalin hmm, maybe you should race with a bag of dog poop in one hand?  Who knows, it sounds like you might break the AG record in any number of distances!  Big grin

deez4boyz I quite liked Gravity.  Might be a guy thing though with the 3D, space ships and whatnot.

Mariposai that is one spectacular picture.  Those were also some spectacular miles splits on your run log too!

tetsujin209 hard for most spouses to get their partner a surprise marathon entry.  Unless you are MM there is this several months of training thing that is likely to destroy the surprise.  After awhile suggestions like "Honey, maybe you should go for a 20 mile run today seeing as how last week you did 18.  Also, mid-week how about you try and get in something around 13 miles or so.  No, no reason.  Just looking after you."

TammyinGP I suspect David's XC meet will provide quite a bit of running substitution entertainment.  Good luck to him and his team.

coastwalker do you ever get to watch anything on prime time TV?  If I had your schedule I would have to go to bed around 6 maybe 7 on occasion!  Sleepy

Slo_Hand ah the downside of a GPS watch!

stumpy77 real life getting in the way of a run and cutting it short.  The nerve of real life!  Wink  Anyway, nice run.

Holly S. I have read all but the last book he has written (which got panned).  My real hope is that Martin finishes the last one in the series prior to dieing.  At his current rate of production I think it is going to be close.

Spareribs one thing I like about conference calls is that they tend to end quicker than actual meetings.

rochrunner congratulations on the clean bill of health.

Off to run circles I went this morning.  As planned I got to the track near 7am so that it was light out and I had the place to myself for my 6x800m intervals.  Tough but doable overall.  I was hoping to manage around a 6:36 pace on each and hit it.  I am pretty happy about that.  There is a HM about 90 minutes from my house in a few weeks I should think about doing.  It would be my last long race pre-marathon and would make a good tempo training run.

In cooking news:  My MIL gave my DW and me about a half dozen tomatoes.  I cut them up and I am slow roasting them for 6+ hours.  Stay tuned as to how they come out!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...fatozzig///..............Hubba Hubba..........

===========

still sick,,,,,,,,,,got squat

......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hello all. Well I tried to catch up the best I could, but still have missed some details.

I did read that Holly ran a 17-mile race and owned her AG and was 3rd woman (it was a small field, yes?). Still, major congrats to you!

SteveP is finding odd mushrooms on trees and Tet is showing pictures of what look like brains.... and Tet is training??? yeah, must be those mushrooms...

Twocat has picked a marathon, but I haven't found out which one it is.

There's a new guy here, Mo Boy? Oy, my brain is such a sieve... welcome!

Dg is injured?? Boo, I don't like that at all... {{{dg}}}

IBleedUnionBlue ran an excellent half, I did see that!

I'm sure Wildchild ran another 50k or 50-miler or whatever while I was sleeping last night, so hurrah to her too... Wink

Erika had a birthday, which FB told me about a day too soon, grr... hope it was happy !

Leslie has a new pet skunk... Jay slept in.... and TomS said "badass", even though it was just in a quote. Whew! Did I miss anything? Cool

Well it looks like good news is coming and the government will finally settle this shutdown nonsense, but things are not 100% settled yet. Which mean there's still a chance that MCM will be canceled. I did allude to that the other day here, but I guess no one has been aware of that news? Regardless, I'm hoping it works out. Otherwise, I really don't know what I want to do. Find another marathon to run in the following weeks? Run the distance in DC unofficially? We still have plans to be in the DC area that weekend to visit my son in college, with all the grandparents in tow, so an alternate marathon the weekend of 10/27 isn't a feasible option. Guess I just have to hold tight and hope for the best.

First run since Chicago today, 4.7 easy naked miles. Bottom of my right calf (higher than the Achilles) got sore in the second half, rather odd because it didn't feel tight at all post-marathon. Icing now, will take some Advil shortly, and am poking the area with my thumbs to try to get at the trigger points. I know better than to stretch it. Massage on Friday for me, hope it's just a transient thing.

Happy Wednesday to all!

Dave59

I'm going to come back later and read everything when I'm sitting in the La-z-boy after work.

I went to the gym at lunch time, did a warm up on the ARC Trainer, some weights, and then a mile on The (nasty) Curve.  It's a manual curve shaped treadmill and it is like running up hill.  I almost fell off at the end when I accidentally stepped on the up-slope and the belt started moving.

Feeling a little better today.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

twocat - even to me that's pretty funny about having to remind me most people are conscientious enough to take the time to train for an enjoyable marathon. No wonder marathons, and you all, are so special.

Thanks for the real world reminder.

OM, that's what I was referring to too.

check the MM Bulletin Board to join up with others who are running official or not.

I did allude to that the other day here, but I guess no one has been aware of that news? Regardless, I'm hoping it works out.

no particular reason but do you have any photos of your 4.7 mile run?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)