Masters Running

Dam to Dam 20K - Luv'in every minute of it... (Read 329 times)

Long overdue, but life been keeping me hopping lately, as I write this from my office on a Sunday morning...needless to say, I should be working.

Short version:

Time: 2:24

Age group: Women 40-44

Age group placement: 305/378

Field placement: 5638/6476

Long version:

I started running 2 years ago using the c25k plan.  I had never been a runner, or even athletic in my life, and the early 90 second runs nearly killed me.  I had no dreams of distance running even then, and just wanted to be healthier.  Every time my son looks at me today when I say things like "running 5 miles" he has this incredulous look on his face...well, back then, so did I.  The Dam to Dam is a very well publicized and popular event in our area and in my wildest dreams I never thought I'd watch it, let alone participate.  Last year I did the 5K version of this race and envied those folks that had medals around their necks...not the winning ones, just the finishing ones.  Secretly, I wanted one too, but even then thought it crazy.   This fall and winter, I was still enjoying my 3 mile runs, and kept it up through the chilly days of winter.  The idea of running that race kept lurking in the back of my mind.  So, in January, I set my sights on an easier 5 mile race in February that looked like fun and started the 10K training plan to prepare.  Running that race was hard but fun and I sorted out that if I started a half marathon training plan, I'd have time to complete it just in time for the Dam to Dam, still never believing that I'd be able to achieve it...so much so that I didn't register until 2 weeks before the event.  I missed at least one shorter training run in the 3 weeks leading up to the race and worried that I was unprepared.  Not only that, 2 of my last 4 long runs were awful.  Well, I signed up, better go run...

It was a hugely busy weekend for us as it was my daughter's dance recital and she had performances on Thurs/Friday night and another on Saturday afternoon, with company in town to watch the recital.  To top it off, I worked that weekend too.  This race was going to fit in between the cracks, but my whole family came to watch me "finish" (though that didn't turn out quite as planned).  Dam to Dam is a point to point race starting 12.4 miles north of downtown and finishing downtown.  I opted to park downtown and take the buses up to the starting point.  What a sight!  Over 100 school busses lined up and like clockwork, we were loaded and transported.  It was pleasant but drizzly when we arrived, but it cleared up just as the race started.  I made one last stop at the porta-potties at the start and went to check out the starting line and find my position to start.  I'm not a horribly outgoing person, so I didn't have any of those "got to know this other runner" conversations, but I enjoyed people watching.  Oh yea, I was wearing black Adidas shorts, a bright green sleeveless shirt, pink hat and my blue Mizuno shoes. 

Right on time, at 7:00 AM, the gun went off and running across the dam, getting passed by hundreds of people (yes, I did line up where I was supposed to), I got a glimpse of the destination, downtown Des Moines...yikes that looks like it's a LONG ways away.  I had my trusty Garmin and know I'm not a very fast runner and was a little worried that I may be going a little too fast, but figured it felt good, so I'd go with it.  I resisted the temptation to pace other runners which was probably a good choice.  The mile markers were well marked and they had folks at every one of them calling out the gun time.  As the miles ticked away, I kept smiling at all the residents along the road that came out to watch the spectacle either holding up signs for their runner or cheering to anyone in general.  We ran through residential areas and through corn fields.  It was awesome.  The water stations were well stocked and I decided to drink a little at every other one to hopefully avoid the same disaster that I had experienced during my training runs.   They had live bands along the route!  Who knew??  Just for a bunch of crazy runners??

My first favorite spot in this race came when we crossed a bridge over the interstate and all the cars and trucks on the interstate were honking.  I'm not sure what mile it was, but it was a blast.  It made me grin and wave.  The second favorite spot came at mile 11-ish when I was starting to tell myself "only one more mile to go...just keep running".  There they were, my 2 kids waiting for me with a bottle of water.  I was expecting them at the finish and was sooo excited to see them there, even if it wasn't the finish.  My daughter, a decent runner in her own right (and who would've been running the 5K if she hadn't sprained her ankle a week before), was worried that water may run out and wanted to be sure I had some before the end.  Unfortunately with all the traffic, that meant that anyone from my family making it to the finish line in time didn't happen, but it didn't matter.  I gave them each a hug and ran on with renewed spring in my step.   I finished in 2:24, which was met my goals of finishing in under 2 1/2 hours, finishing before any 5K'ers who started at 9:30AM, and having fun.

My family met up with me shortly thereafter and with my prized finisher medal in hand, I ate 3 bomb pops, bought a sweatshirt and cap, and we headed for home to get cleaned up for the afternoon recital.  I will definatley be back next year.

Thanks for reading.

Janet

I LOVE stories/ race reports like this. Congratulations!  Also, props on getting your family out there: my two DD's usually make a beeline for the nearest playground, then wonder why Dad comes back all sweaty.

Hopefully this experience will serve you well as you continue to race. Walt.

HermosaBoy

GREAT job Janet!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Janet, thanks for finding the time to write up this great report.  It sounds like you are well versed in the art of juggling numerous commitments.  I recall what a runner friend said to me after I first ran Dam to Dam (my longest run or race at that time) 5 years ago:  don't you wonder what the other half feels like? Watch out; it's a slippery slope.
            Bravo, Handy Mom!    I love the fact that you are running for yourself, and also including your family, and doing so well.   It is great to set a big goal, and go out there and plan and work towards that goal, and then do it!   Congratulations, and keep up the good work.    Woods Lady

Great race and report, HandyMom.  As I read your report, I thought back to when I started running about 10 years ago.  I don't know why I started and was unaware of on line running forums or anything like C25K.  After awhile, I started thinking that if I could do a 5K that I would have reached the ultimate goal.  But, as Fortunate One said, "Watch out, it's a slippery slope".  Now I can look back on a marathon, 4 half marathons, 5 or 6 20K's, some 10 milers, 8 milers, 10Ks, 8Ks, and 5Ks.  It's been great.  I'll be anxious to hear about your next races and progress.  Congratulations on beating your goals and having your family there to share with you.

TomS

Slo

Janet

Fantastic report.....and some great memories. You did a fantastic job describing it. I was in awe by the buses too. As we walked across the dam you could see bus after bus after bus and the sea of people walking up the boat ramp.......incredible.

That was the best race I have ever did. I enjoyed every minute of it and will keep that race on my calendar for years to come. The crowd support, volunteers.....Iowa at its best !

I just found out Hermosaboy was there too.......he kicked some serious tail.  Damn man you can run! Sheesh

A very big Congratulations on realizing a very big Goal !  Awesome awesome job !

SteveP

Oh My Gosh, Janet, this was a delite to read!!! You have much to celibate. May ice cream be blessed in your house hold.

SteveP

Janet, I'm not sure why Steve wants you to be "celibate" [sic], but your story is an inspiration for all the newer runners around here. It even takes me back to the days when my yearly goal was to be able to finish a local 3-mile run at all, let alone run it in 30 minutes.

You have many years of running joy ahead of you. Now go out with your family and celebrate!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Oh My Gosh, Janet . . .You have much to celibate.

Celibacy is overrated.  Don't do it.

On the other hand - what a great report!!  I enjoyed reading every word of it.  What a great 20k you ran.  So, um, you gonna move up to the 30k, the, uh, hit the ultra scene with a 50k???

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Hi Janet,

What a terrific RR - overflowing with enthusiasm and excitement! I'm so glad your first 20K was such a success, both in respect to you finishing ahead of your goal time, and because of all the great memories you created for yourself in this race. So congrats on running a great race, on having your family out there to support you, on taking in all the scenery and excitement along the course, and on earning that medal you had your eye on a year ago!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

woooohoooooooo!!   nice job Janet!!  i was smiling thru your whole report!!   Life is Good!!

denise

Thanks everyone for the friendly and encouraging replys...and yes, Fortunate One, I have kindof wondered what the other half feels like.   Not sure when that will be, but it's on my mind.

We have a half/full marathon here in the fall.  Someone told me that they enjoyed the half marathon even more than Dam to Dam.  Not sure why, perhaps I'll have to decide for myself.

Janet

Marathon Maniac #957

Janet – at my first HM, I was running along and noticed a couple kids holding up a sign saying, “Go Mom” and I thought, how sweet, and then all of a sudden, Hey, those are MY kids!  What a lift it is when your family shows up to cheer you on, and what a great example you are to your kids going for and achieving this goal.  Great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

congrats on a fun race, Janet!  And extra nice to have your family there to cheer for you! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.