Masters Running

Friday 2/8/19 (Read 40 times)

SteveP

Mrrun checks in and assures me that i won't miss constant blizzard like conditions.

C-R avoids traffic and gets 6 on the treadmill. Enjoy Dayton.

RunnerKSA has 4.1 before work. She's planning on getting a little bling on for a good cause.

Coastwalker stretches into a draft.

We see a new face check in. Welcome dnaff. Make yourself comfortable.  Did you bring donuts? She takes the dogs out (what kind of nut works out with dogs?)

tomwhite - tangerines are good.

Fixed it for you.

Tetsujin209 skates figure eights with trekking poles up stairs both ways in knee deep snow and 90weather for I think 5 miles.Dnaff, I'd strongly encourage anyone to wear tights and a cape.

Dave59 sweats it out in the office.

Surly Bill checks in. I was pretty good at air guitar. I may try air writing and see how that goes. He logs a speedy 5.2 miles.

Henrun is jazzed about his sunny 4 in FL. Save DW and I a little of the sunshine.

Governor Tramps gets all cycle with TriBee for 22 miles. With the various (weird)web entries out there, I'd not be surprised if there's a Michael McDonald and the Chipmunks mash up.

MikeE checks in. He takes out the day's frustration on the treadmill for 6 late miles.

Tom White rinses his car off after choir practice. (I'd panic).  He braves the elements for a weighty soccer field work out.

Fatozzig's talks of hammies is making me hungry. Technically, she's taking a rest day at work. Thank you for the pictures.

Joe618 rocks a rest day.

Evanflein has a hilly 5.6 miles.

Spacityrunner calls it a dog walking day with the temps an warm 30F.

Bioguy has a wonderful 8.2! YES!!!

Pfriese enjoys a rest day with 5 on the treadmill.

Falconfixer has a tough "I better get over this soon" 3.5 mile run.

Deez4boyz goes nuts mixing up her fitness with spinning, treadmilling, pushing, picking and fork repeats.

TwoCat kindly corrected my typo. YIKES! He gets 50 minutes on the recumbent bike and has visions of 1.5 miles.

I got 4.2 before work. We got pelted with freezing rain all day. Of course people called in or left early. Again, one dude had to stay home with his capable 17 year old son because school was called off. I'm wondering if he's burning PTO because he's planning to jump ship.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks again, Steve, for the humorously comprehensive wrap-up and start to the day, including today's musical link. Sounds like a fair concern about the guy staying home with the 17yo.

Welcome Dawn! Sounds like you'll fin right in with this rag-tag group quite nicely.

It's going to be nice to have one of our own as G'vnor of VA sometime soon.

I hope your head's better, Joe.

Some folks got in some really nice workouts yesterday - congrats to you all.

Fatozzig, 'haunting' is an excellent way to describe those portraits out of the ashes. Amazing work.

So, if we write like we speak, how can we make our writing look like we sound??

C'mon Bert!!  (Is he coming?)

The weather/roads were finally decent enough that I could get out for a workout without doing significant damage to my body or psyche. So I got in 6.4 EZ RW miles in a fine (as in very small drops, not as in 'dandy') mist, which was better than the rain moving in this morning. No matter what I did, I couldn't get beyond Stumpy's slow molasses, so I just accepted it and dealt with it. So it goes.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Steve and good morning Jay and those to follow.

It was really cold outside- we dropped 40 degrees-  treadmill morning for me.  4 miles done! 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika- glad your parents got everything taken care of and out of Seattle before even more snow starts falling this afternoon at either 12pm (European weather model) or 1pm (UW model).  With weekend races down here of some distance from 5K to marathon every weekend, I hope they can arrange Monday or Friday appointments in the future so you can join us sometime, if possible.

In the meantime, temps into the low thirties softened up the snow enough for some nocturnal j-o'clock <<<(ed note: redundant)>>> x-t rolling snowballs around the yard picking up most of the remaining snow down to the year-round green grass for the biggest Frostie so far.  At 5.5', I needed a plank ramp to get the midsection in place. Hope this afternoon and evening's snowfalls provide for even more company.  Now for some more zzzzzzzzz's.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

bioguy

Hi all

My physics class is sitting taking an exam so I'll sneak in a quick post while I'm not teaching.

Last night's tempo gave me some renewed hope regarding my fitness; I have really felt out of shape despite fairly regular runs.

Odd event during yeasterday's run. I'm on my regular route and given that it is a dead end street, I'm seen pretty regularly. I'm on a wide open stretch, no shoulder, just a ditch and then a farm field. Good visibility and I'm wearing a green UnderArmor shirt and red ball cap. A beige sedan is coming towards me and gets closer and closer with no sign of moving over a bit. As it gets really close I throw my hands up in the universal "What the hell!" gesture and the car moves over. I turn a look at the rear of it disappearing and repeat the gesture. No middle finger. A moment later I hear a vehicle slowing behind me and its the same car. A woman rolls down the window (or at least pushed the button that makes it go down) and apologizes- I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention and didn't see you. I replied "You really scared me" to which she says "I was scared too." Fair enough. I gave her a thumbs up and continued on my way.

Supposed to be spotty rain this afternoon so I'll try for an ez 4 or 5. May go shopping for some Altra's tomorrow.

Tailwinds!

Henrun

3.2 sunny miles on our penultimate day in Sarasota. Tomorrow we’re moving to a beach near St. Pete for a week and then slowly winding our way north and visiting some friends. New running territory.

Tramps

Leslie--touching murals. Thanks for sharing; I hadn't seen those.

bioguy--Nice to hear of a civil interaction for a change. Also, maybe the sluggishness is just the normal impact of winter?

Mike--I'm always impressed at how you still get out for a run after tough days like that.

Falcon, Joe and others--The whole thread between Civil War history to today’s Virginia headlines is a fascinating, if heartbreaking, story. My first year in Richmond, I lived about 150 yards from the huge Jefferson Davis memorial. A transplanted Yankee who had never lived further south than New York City, I was aghast at the whole Monument Avenue spectacle (part of the marathon route) that seemed largely to be taken for granted nearly 25 years ago. Times change. Though very slowly.

Tom--lucky you didn't stall out. Hope Bert is no worse for the bath.

Speaking of vehicles... all of mine have been named “Bessie” after a childhood tradition I may have mentioned here before (though I have no idea where the name comes from). When I was a kid, we’d travel for hockey games on school buses of dubious mechanical health. My hometown sits in a valley and there is a long, steep incline heading west out of town. It’s one of those hills with truck runaway ramps at the bottom. Often--especially during snowstorms--our shaky school bus would be barely moving as it inched its way up this lengthy incline. At those times, everyone onboard would sarcastically root encouragement by shouting, “C’mon Bessie!” Most of the time, it worked.

Solo ride this morning before the colder temps move in. 22 miles.

Have a great weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

3.06 miles at the same old park this morning.  Had to put away the shorts and t-shirt and put back on the warm running pants and jacket.  Yesterday's 75° will be a distant memory by the time it hits 17° tonight.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey, governor - me too.

Our red-and-white 1956

Willys Jeep was "Bessie"

too.  I always thought

after my parent's friend's

wife's name 'cause we had

to drive 10 miles "out-the-road"

in those days to see them.

ps - do you get to appoint your

Lt. Governor and Attorney General?

Image result for willy's jeep 1956 red white images

Hemmings Find of the Day – 1959 Willys Utility Wagon | Hemmings Daily

Hemmings Motor News

1959 Willys Utility Wagon

Visit Share

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the recap, Sir Steve.

Bio - At least she came back and apologized.  Maybe having soiled her underwear will make her more aware next time.

Two miles in 2Kitty's future?? Yes sir-ee!

I lost at Bonkos last night, which means I got my $10 back!!  I had an association meeting last night before Bonkos and made the big mistake of eating burger and fries.  Bleck!  I was fighting heartburn before I left the restaurant, and then was completely sick to my stomach by the time I got home last night.  The food spoiled, it was just too greasy.  Hence, a crappy night of sleep.  And since I had to be at PT by 7:45, no a.m. workout for me.  I'll get in a walk after work.

In PT news, I've graduated to working on 6" stairs. *fist pump*  Soon . . . soon I will be able to go up and down the stairs at work like a normal person.  The issue I have to work really hard on is not letting my knee fall inward when stepping up . . . or when sitting down or standing up . . . or . . . it's a big part of why my hamstring finally gave up.  It's gonna take a lot of hard work to overcome the problem, but I'm game.

Okay - Work calls.

WORD OF THE DAY:  Still "Gladitude"

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Hey All. Nice recap Steve.

Yesterday included biblical rains and wind. Today bitter cold. Can we have a do over on winter please? I ran a quick 5k on the treadmill to see if I can still have some chance of making some goals this year. Considering the horrible chest congestion and coughing there is hope.

Good call on the TM Karen. Strange weather =/= good running.

Tramps channeling his inner George Foreman with naming convention. 

Nice she returned to apologize bio. I bet if we all had a nickel for the other option, we would all be wealthy.

Back to work.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

dnaff

After 3 days of freezing rain we are back to dry skies, but a windchill of -25.  1/2 mile walk with Misha took almost an hour even in YakTrax.  Darn Ice.

Yoga again today, my running shoes asked if I was ever going to take them out again.

Thanks for the warm welcome yesterday everyone.  Evanflein: my Hennepin is a 96mile towpath along the Hennepin canal in NW Illinois.  Didn't know I had to share the name with Minnesota.

Mike E

MM #5615

psst...dnaff thinks her shoes can talk...she definitely belongs here...

psst...dnaff thinks her shoes can talk...she definitely belongs here...

.....I Love It.......

===========

..WindChills in the 20s here

(Thurs was 75)

calling it

REST DAY

.......may set the couch on fire later, it's COLD here.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Joe618

So fun to read all of this at the close of a Very Long Work Day.    Thanks for all your contributions and most excellent workouts.

C-R accurately described our weather change.

And the head cold has landed, flaps down, on runway Joe618.   I had hoped to get in a treadmill run after work but had multiple customer emergencies today, starting at about 3:45, so I'm still here and my head hurts.   Gonna go home and go to bed and listen to some Big Ten basketball.   Will try to get out tomorrow.

Rock on, everyone and C'mon Bessie!!   (BTW, that was the name of our dilapidated school busses in the late 60s in Nebraska as well...funny how that spread)

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.