Masters Running

Saturdaily 7/6 (Read 43 times)

bioguy

Jay-Has high self expectations.Had a 1st place racewalk, but disappointed in his time and lack of competition.; He follows with 6.75 yesterday.
    Holly went 7.3 and made bacon cheese dip
    RunnerKSA goes 5 in humid conditions
    Spacity takes a day off
    Joe went 4.4 and watched some neighborhood hockey practice
    Dave relaxed with grandkids
    tom white 65 min RC
    roch- 2 miles on treadmill and the new Beatles film and cherry eating
    tetsujin- stair workout
    Falcon 7.5
    Lots of talk regarding potstickers
    I got out for 6 then a less than fruitful trip to Lowes and Home Depot for more of my summer projects. Mostly sat around and read for pleasure in the afternoon.

Tailwinds!

Tramps

Thanks, bioguy.

Joe--that hockey tale made me smile. Heat should never stop street hockey.

This H&H makes me feel more like a shut-in by far than during the winter, when it's always possible to dress comfortably for conditions.

I have made exactly this point many times. We're in the thick of it now, too.

Fireworks--when I was a kid fireworks were illegal in NH, as were firecrackers. In Canada, though, you could buy just about anything. So on hockey trips to Quebec the kids would load up our hockey duffel bags with illegal fireworks because our bus was always just waived through the border with no issue. We also discovered that a brick of firecrackers fit perfectly in a box of Kleenex tissues, so those traveling in cars would hide a brick in a Kleenex box with a couple of tissues on top. Wow, times have changed.

I've been watching old Monty Python episodes on Netflix and came across this classic I had forgotten about: The Weak Bladder Marathon. 

Tried to "run" 4 in the H&H this morning but had no mojo. It turned into a sweaty 4-mile run/walk.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

We're getting ready to start our return to WV.  I'll probably work up a sweat just walking 10 steps to the car.

Thanks for the Monty Python clip. I had the full box set of the old TV show but I loaned it to a friend and never saw it again.

When I was growing up in western NY and Buffalo had an NBA team, their star player, Bob McAdoo once lamented that when he drove past neighborhood basketball courts, they were filled with kids playing street hockey.

..thanks bioguy.....

==========

..40-min PoolRun/shoes no belt..

I taught Claire to PoolRun

while

she was visiting,

and she beat me every time............I Love It

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks, bioguy and good morning y'all.   11.2 humid miles with the running group. Shockingly, I had someone to run with most of the way.  Normally I'm alone, being older and slower.  Started out with a guy for a mile or so and I got ahead of him.  He wound up back near me towards the end.  A woman I know joined me at 4 miles when her group turned around to only do 8.  I really only wanted to do 9 or 10, but there is a good water stop that a church has (one of their missions is to stay open for the runners and cyclists) at 5.6.  So- we got there.  It was warm and humid, but a lot of shade, fortunately.  The last 3 miles are pretty brutal and the course is rolling.  There were a TON of cyclists out- one of the tri training groups had a group ride from our same starting place.  One of our runners almost got hit-  I mean it was really close and it was the runner's fault-  he flipped around to turn back the other way and didn't look.  It was scary.      So- I am wiped out, but happy that I got the mileage in.  Went too fast, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the recap/start, bioguy. Sorry about the fruitless trips yesterday, but I'm glad it gave you a chance to relax some.

Great clip, Tramps. Sorry about the mojo-free run.

Travel safely, Dave, and stay cool.

Good for you for getting Claire started pool running, Tomwhite.

Nice long run with company, KSA. I've also learned, almost the hard way, that one does have to check for bikes before venturing roadward. Even early in the morning, they are just so dang quiet.

I had a racewalking training session this morning, and spent most of it working with a relative newbie. I have to get him to unlearn a couple of bad habits, but overall, he gets it, and will do well. It was well into the 80s on the track, and we hung our water bottles in the one spot of shade. Thankfully there was a light breeze that prevented us all from melting. I lost track of my laps, but figure I went about 4 miles.

We have a neighborhood party to go to this afternoon, and these neighbors have a pool. So, of course, this is the only day this weekend that it is going to rain...

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

dnaff

We live near Dixon Illinois, hometown of president Ronald Reagan, so today my husband and I ran the Reagan Run 5k.

So much fun. I love this race because it is big without being overwhelming (1500) and everybody is there. I saw dozens of running friends, old neighbors, former co workers, and a bunch of my husband's current co workers.

It was oppressive out there. 80's and humid and not a breath of air. This was the first time in a long time that I had to stop at the water tables in a 5k and also the first time I've dumped water on my head to cool off. Usually I'm so concerned of washing off the sunblock, but sunblock be damned today, I was dying!

Early results say I was 6th of 60 in the 60-64 category. Pretty cool stats. It's a chip timed race though so people could have finished after we left and that will change the results. We got pretty bottled up with the walkers in the first mile so maybe next year we will just start 20 minutes after them and run on an wide open course.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Joe618

Bio, thanks for the start and recap.    Good running to all of you so far today.   Nice race, dnaff!   1500 for a 5k is a big event...cool.   Well, not cool, but you know what I mean.   Nice AG results!

Just got back from racing here in suburban Minneapolis.   A 4 mile run followed by a 1 mile race, which I ran with DS2, now 38.  In the 4 mile, he went just over 30 minutes, I went 34:11 and was 3 of 6 in men 60-69.   I was pleased, just wanted to be under 36 minutes as I was focused on the one mile race. 

The one mile started an hour after the 4 mile.   Had no idea how to run a one-mile event, as I've never raced a single mile event.   The one mile event was smaller than the 4 mile and had two groups, it seemed....serious runners who were flying and a lot of kids getting to run an event.   The two collided, literally, about 50m after the start, as some of the kids zigged and zagged and tripped a couple of runners, one who went down hard.   She popped up and kept running but it didn't look good.    More working around during the "out" portion of the course but on the "back" portion, it shook out.   Ran hard and finished in 7:27.   Could have been 7:20 without the near-wreck early but it was fine.   DS2 ran 6:27, which he was thrilled with.   I was totally impressed, as he hasn't been running that long.   We took off after the race to check back with the family (race was only about 5 miles away) and when I got the results, learned I was 1st of 3 in my AG.   Ha...make the pond small enough, any of us can be a big fish.    Anyway,  delightful morning with DS2. 

Will be meeting up with MikeE in a few hours...we'll take some pix and publish here.    Driving home tomorrow.

Rock your Saturday, all. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Congratulations on the races to you and your son, Joe!  What a disaster with the kids weaving around.  They probably need to have 2 separate races.  I’ve had that problem even in some family oriented 5Ks.

Nice racing Joe & dnaff, and good for 11.2 in these conditions, KSA (actually good in any conditions from my current level).

Once again I intended to get up early for an outdoors workout -- this time biking -- but once again the conditions defeated me. Did 4.5 brisk walking miles with a good friend, and even got in a couple of short jogs along the way. It was 90% humidity and I couldn't tell if the occasional raindrops were falling from the clouds or condensing directly out of the air above us.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Will be meeting up with MikeE in a few hours...we'll take some pix and publish here.

Whew, great idea, though, to run two races as a possible excuse not to have try to keep up running with supersonic Mike. I wonder how fast he runs a mile?

I don’t know why this morning’s outing seemed so special but it somehow made me appreciate being able to cycle 4 miles over to Hidden Park for three lakeside sand-and-grass miles before returning via an extra 17 miles, including on the island’s half marathon course instead of just taking it for granted as I have for the last 43 years of running, if not more if everything else I like to do is counted.  

Got back in time to watch some of the Tour de France coverage.  Announcers Phil Liggett and Bob Roll seem to think all we care about is how many min/sec the leader is ahead of the peleton when I’d like to know average and maximum speeds, cadences, etc.  I even said so to Bob once when he was a speaker at the local bike club’s now defunct bike expo.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, I don't like to complain about the heat because I HATE the cold.  I would much rather have a hot run in a singlet and shorts than a cold, 3-layers-on run in ice and snow any day of the week.

Tramps - that link - 

Joe and Dnaff - nice racing!

No run for me, I swam at the Y instead, and did my first mile swim - 72 times across the pool (1800 yards).  It probably didn't make up for all the calories I took in at our friend's birthday celebration last night, but oh well.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

7 mi run at a nearby trail this morning, followed up by a one mile run at home with the dogs. 
                            Heading to an outdoor wedding later this afternoon (5pm ceremony). it's by the river so will probably feel a bit cooler although we should hit mid 90's so it'll still be warm.

Tammy

Howdy Do -

Lots of news coverage about the earthquakes happening in Ridgecrest.  An aunt and uncle lived there for years since he was a physicist and worked under contract at the military base.  He died a few years ago and she moved to Fresno near her son's family just last year.  I'm so thankfully she's not there now.

After getting up early and cleaning the bedroom carpet, I got in a 4 mile walk this a.m. in 58:14 with some hill work and then some hip strengthening, followed by yard watering and a little more housework, and then getting The Hub's invoices done.  I cleaned the living room carpet last night.  The humidifier we have works great in helping to dry out the carpet quickly.

It's Alumni Weekend for Crabs Baseball.  The Hub will be heading to the park soon where he'll be throwing BP for the alum ().  I predict he won't be able to raise his right arm tomorrow.   I'll show up a little before 5:00, in time for food!

Shout out to everyone.  I gotta get going.

PS - I love potstickers!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

In this weather I rarely can stand to wear a singlet.  I do the sports bra squad thing.  I want to wear as little as possible.  Growing up as a runner for almost 30 years (age 26 to 54) in Texas, we rarely wore singlets unless we had to for identification at a team event.  It was just too hot.  Of course our bodies were younger!  I see more and more female runners of all shapes and sizes shedding the singlet layer, but it still isn't the norm.  I find it feels SO much better.  With the more crop top sports bras you don't feel quite as bare.....