Masters Running

Thursday, January 3, 2008 (Read 731 times)

Wow you folks run in some cold weather! Glad I don't live where you live. 25 years in and around Chicago was plenty for me. Erika - good to hear there was a sighting. Let's hope the pooch gets tossed in the hoosegow by the time you go check on him. My run today was in 42F weather with a light rain. No wind, so I ended up stripping more layers off. I even went out with less on today. I'm beginning to think that I should pay more attention to the wind and less to the rain to decide what to wear. btw, I hate long sleeve shirts - they are always too tight around my wrists and drive me crazy. Too tight is what you might call snug or fitted. I wear my watches loose enough to spin around my wrist and that is about all the tighter I want my shirts and jackets, but NOOOO, they all come snug. grr. Oh well, 3.2 miles in a light rain. Must now go stretch, shower and eat. Stay warm ya'll!
    Have you got a flag?
      11:00 65f 11mi w/8.6 at 6:50 pace technical glitch -- watch was showing 6:34 miles splits, i wanted to run 6:40, but in reality i ran 6:50 (ran a measured course). ah well, better to leave some of it out there than run too fast at this point. miles 2-8 were within 3 seconds per mile; i found a groove. a little slower groove than i want on race day, but... oh well... that's the last hard one. training is done. the hay is in the barn. only a few short miles at mp left, mostly just easy jogging from here till phoenix. who me, nervous? Dead
      evanflein

I FOUND CHEYENNE!!!! She was at a home north and east of us... we'd been looking south and west of us. She found a very nice family who'd taken her and had been asking all their neighbors if they knew whose dog it was. They called animal control this morning (who told them no matching report of lost dog... grrrr!), but they took their phone number and gave it to me when I just called. Next step... GET NEW ID TAGS for the old girl!! Thanks to all of you for your concern and good vibes, I'm convinced it makes a difference! Where's that dancing banana when you need it???
        Mariposai

Erika-Glad to hear that you found Cheyenne. I used my lunch hour to run today, 5 ez miles with fluries of snow falling on me. Now my hair is a mess and I have to re-aply my make up before going back to my desk. In days like this is when I wish I am not indoor, but out in the slopes somewhere.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Woohoo Erika! Glad you found Cheyenne. Here is a (partial) conversion chart for miles per hour to minutes per mile MPH Min/Mile 6.0 10:00 6.1 9:50 6.2 9:41 6.3 9:31 6.4 9:23 6.5 9:14 6.6 9:05 6.7 8:57 6.8 8:49 6.9 8:42 7.0 8:34 7.1 8:27 7.2 8:20 7.3 8:13 7.4 8:06 7.5 8:00 7.6 7:54 7.7 7:48 7.8 7:42 7.9 7:36 8.0 7:30 8.1 7:24 8.2 7:19 8.3 7:14 8.4 7:09 8.5 7:04 8.6 6:59 8.7 6:54 8.8 6:49 8.9 6:44 9.0 6:40 Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

heh heh. here's a little souvenir from my new year's morning... now, where is one of Tet?.... more of my running group here. Love the one of the dog heading in! http://www.runchuckit.com/pic_slides/Chuckit_Reso-08/index.htm glad to hear Cheyenne is home safe and sound. Makes my day.
                Erika - so glad you found your puppy!
                Mariposai

Erika, here is a link to treadmill pace convertion. Complimentary of our adorable friend Tetsujin. http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php. Great picture Soundie!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

jlynne, I hope you're short. I weighed in today, too, officially. I'll post that on the other thread. Embarrassed 5'3" and shrinking fast... We have a saying in our house: we're not fat, we're just too short for our weight! Day one of the plan - passed the bowl with the colorful M&M's three times now with hand in the pickup position, trying to have some self-control. My problem is I justify eating stuff like this because I ran 5 1/2 miles this morning. I know I know I know - quit buying the M&M's and the temptation will be gone. I'm thinking I need some motivational support here, people. Help!

King of PhotoShop

Spareribs, Chess alert -- I was only able to draw my game last night against a 1586-rated player. He played 1 d4 and I got nothing. I've never had anything good against 1 d4. Have you ever played 1 d4? If so, what defenses did you not like to face? Dark Horse, aka Winless in Newburyport
                      I've been meaning to talk with you about chess: 3 things First, I put up a thread for you just before Active died on Chess Boxing. Go to YouTube and enter that and you will see a mess of chess boxing matches. They are a scream. I thought that was something you would dominate! You box the other guy for a round, then sit down and play chess. I have no idea how they figure out the winner, but if you haven't seen this before just try one of those videos for a good laugh. You probably already know about this. Second, as I don't need to tell you, d4 tends to lead to a drawish game since it inhibits the queen early, among other things. In 1973 I got a draw in a simultaneous against Jonathan Weinstein, who at the time was the U.S. Open Champ. I refused to trade pawns, clogged up the whole middle, asked advice from everyone around me when he was gone, and to my amazement he offered a draw! I couldn't wait to get him to sign my scoresheet. I imagine if I played somebody I was terrified I would lose against, I would do the same again, as that guy did to you. Do you know that in '72 Fischer's first win against Spassky he opened c4, I think Queen's Gambit declined. We played it out the other night. Fascinating game. Third, in our house we don't knock over the king to resign. We offer our hand and say "Good game." I taught the boys to do that as being more courteous than knocking over the king. Well, my 11 year-old got an electric hand buzzer from his aunt for Christmas, and if he senses he is going to lose, he slips it on under the table. It pisses my other son off no end when the little one resigns and shakes hands with him, BZZZZZZ! I have no idea where he gets that weird sense of humor. Spareribs
                        BZZZZZZZ.......gotta love Little Ribs! Clowning around Great news about Cheyenne! Do you know, someone shoved a cat in the Humane Society mailbox here over the New Year, argh. It survived, just barely, after spending way too long there. Sheesh. It is in the 40s here! It's killing me! Still, I was good and walked/trotted to the gym to do weights and balance ball stuff. Eliptical yesterday and rest day New Year's. Ankle is good--I can't feel it at all, running (ok, so I sneak a block now and then) or walking, EXCEPT when I do this one particular stretch given me by the PT. Makes me think it had been slowly growing irritated over time, as I never used to do that stretch, so how would I know? It's almost 2 weeks. I'm running this weekend. Wink grins, A
                        Masters 2000 miles
                          Yay! Cheyenne is safe! A collective sigh of relief from around the world! Thanks for keeping us informed. No run today, again. But tomorrow, I guarantee that I will post a 0530 run. Even though the Hokies are playing in the Orange Bowl tonight. I guarantee that I will post a 0530 run. (I might post a big fib, but I w...just kidding) Oops! Time to clock out!
                          LaVita
                            Good news, Erika. Soundie, you look cold and hot at the same time. I'll bet you had some quality time with a hairdryer after that little dip. 3 miles on the indoor track for me. Nice weather predicted for the weekend--I can't wait. Big grin
                              Ericka!!!! Good news about the runaway. Smile 6 miles for me today in 55:30 ish 20 degrees with a cold wind . My left calf became tight about half way through and I have to believe its from running on the ice and snow. My stride is a lot different and it felt better every time I found an open patch of pavement. Rest day tomorrow and warmer weather coming so hopefully by the weekend better conditions.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I didn't try to run outdoors this morning because it was -6 degrees F, -18 degrees with windchill. I did my scheduled 2-mile run on the treadmill at the Y, in 21:32 (which is pushing it for me!). Should be warmer Saturday for my 5-mile run. I'm still ahead of the 1000k Pace Bunny! Teresa