Masters Running

Wednesday, 10 February, 2016. Get you ash in gear! (Read 35 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

30F

light snow

6.2 miles in 57 minutes

Ralph and I missed the group run yesterday and were by ourselves today. Pleasant run.

SteveP!  Gasparilla!  That was my comeback Marathon in 2005!  Loved it!  It started at 0600 back then (I think). Running in the dark felt like I was cheating. Felt like I slept through the first hour. Loved it!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

mrrun

4 miles on the Pinella trail in Tarpon Springs.  I was wearing long & short-sleeved shirt. as i took off long sleeved another runner said you're braver then me (45 degrees) to which i responded i'm from boston!

RCG - glad we're missing any light snow!  Miami and Hilo also start in the dark - I love the sunrise and rooster crowing while you run

Happy running and walking and ((hugs for the DL))

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice running this morning, RCG and Marj! Enjoy the warmth, Marj.

I was subpoenaed to testify in a wetlands permit hearing yesterday, which took half my day. A group was appealing the NH Dept. of Environmental Services' decision to approve a specific permit application for a project in our town. I was 'asked' to testify because our conservation commission advises DES on permit applications for local projects, and I'm still the chair of the commission. I was done by late morning, but they still had more to go. I didn't stick around, so I don't know yet what the outcome was. I got 'paid' for participating, but the $42 doesn't begin to cover my time (including the hour that it took to drive each way).

There was a lot of traffic all day long at the local polling place for the NH Primary. I haven't seen the numbers yet, but I'm expecting that there was a high turnout rate across the state. Regardless of the outcome of the vote, I love that NH residents take their role in our primary very seriously.

6.3 RW miles in 19F temps and under overcast skies this morning. I was still a bit achy from Sunday's race, so I just took it easy, and did lots of stretching when I got back.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning to everyone running in snow, sunshine and everything in between today!

Nice run this morning RCG. Hi Marj! Hi Henry! Have a great time in Florida. Jay - you truly are the picture of what an active community member is like. Even when you're not serving on a committee or volunteering your time for a project, you are involved so many other ways. I'm sure you could have found a million excuses not to take a half day to go testify for a wetlands hearing. You get my good citizen award!

Below zero here with the wind chill this morning. Opted for 60 minutes on the elliptical at the Y followed with 30 minutes of weights and core. DH had his carpel tunnel surgery so I've had the pleasure of doing the shoveling and snow blowing since the surgeon said no heavy pushing, pulling or lifting. He's having the second hand done next week and according to my calculations, the recovery time should put him just past the snow season but healed up enough for golf season.

If you get a chance, watch the clip on the internet of Larry David imitating Bernie Sanders imitating Larry David. It was from Saturday Night Live last week and, if you like Larry David, this is really funny!

I lost a shoe at a local department store yesterday. I took off my right one to try on a couple of different styles of work shoes. I left my old right shoe next to the bench I was sitting on as I walked a couple of aisles away to put the boxes back on the shelf. I grabbed another box to try on, and when I got back my shoe wasn't there. The shoe department manager helped me look for over 30 minutes but it was no where to be found. She kept telling me I must have put it in one of the boxes of shoes I had tried on. I told her if I try a right shoe on and put it back in the box, there's NO ROOM for a third shoe! I tied a shopping bag to my foot to keep my sock from getting soaked with snow and water in the parking lot and limped out to my car....

Henrun

JLynne- what a story. There's a shoe thief loose in the neiborhood!

My R knee has been killing me since we got here and I've been living on ice and Advil. This morning when Marj   ran I jogged slowly for 2 miles and no pain. Hope it lasts

I lost a shoe at a local department store yesterday. I took off my right one to try on a couple of different styles of work shoes. I left my old right shoe next to the bench I was sitting on as I walked a couple of aisles away to put the boxes back on the shelf. I grabbed another box to try on, and when I got back my shoe wasn't there. The shoe department manager helped me look for over 30 minutes but it was no where to be found. She kept telling me I must have put it in one of the boxes of shoes I had tried on. I told her if I try a right shoe on and put it back in the box, there's NO ROOM for a third shoe! I tied a shopping bag to my foot to keep my sock from getting soaked with snow and water in the parking lot and limped out to my car....

I'm sorry, but this is incredible and funny all at the same time.  The big question - Did they give you a discount for a shoe purchase???

Jay - Exactly what JLynne said.  Kudos you ~

Erika - A clarification on Shorty's instructions - no nuts, chips, or popcorn for 3 months (not 3 weeks).  This will be interesting.  He is a chips and salsa fanatic.  He said, "If it was you, you would've walked out when they said 'no nut.' " He's probably right.  I eat a lot of almonds!

Made him a big ole pot of mashed taters last night, which turned out really good.  I added 1/2 and 1/2, butter, leftover pumpkin, and butternut squash soup.  Poor Shorty - he had a bowl of mashed taters. . . I had a hamburger patty topped with mash taters.  I loved it.  He was not pleased. 

30 min of stat biking this morning as I enjoy my taper.  I plan to leave at o-dark 30 tomorrow morning for the 8-hr drive to Portland.  I'm getting excited about getting out of Dodge for a few days.

Enjoy Wednesday ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

You get my good citizen award!

+1  And SteveP gets the awesome employee award - well done!

Jlynne - that is bizarre about the shoe.  Maybe it got put in one of the boxes that had only one shoe because the other was on display.  I would keep checking back with the store.

I brought a pillow and my new heating pad to work and am currently toasting my lower back.  It is quite cozy, actually.

4 slow and gentle miles on the TM today at a 12:00 pace.  Running slowly doesn't seem to hurt my back, as long as I don't slouch.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job jay.
                  they ought to make the lawyers
                  take an oath to tell the truth too.
                  Jeanne - I hope they eventually find your missing shoe.
                  However, good job on the plastic bag trick that barefooters
                  sometimes use too to walk in places we shouldn’t.
                  After yesterday’s morning cycling commute at 37-degrees,

incoming clouds climbed this morning’s temps to marge’s
                  same 45-degrees in aamos-land. However, it won’t get up
                  to 65-degrees again.
                  Portland Marathon - not about the run but about the fun.
                  Portland is out of daily running range from Seattle

and entry fees are unreasonably and, as-far-as-I-know,

unjustifiably expensive so, after enjoying the barefoot-friendly surfaces
                  there in less expensive days in 1990 and 1992, I assumed
                  I would join the throngs of runners who have eschewed Portland

for one-reason-or-the-other (including one of the perennial but now disenchanted

winners in those days) but went back for a third time with another barefoot friend

in 2004 for a final fling.
                  However, it was subsequently well worth the price of admission

again not only to (1) be part of the 2006 boomer reunion,
                  including celebrating posie’s first marathon ever
                  (some twenty years after she witnessed a bunch of people

running through the Portland streets and vowed to do it too some day)

but also (2) join up there last year with a dozen-and-a-half aging members
                  of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club. 
                  I really regretted the $180 late entry fee last year though, . . .

until I got there and realized that it wasn’t all about the run
                  at all. The steep entry fee still p....ses me off too

but not as much as if I would have missed it

so I signed up for this year as soon as the discretionary funds

would not be missed as they were for last year’s last minute entry.

ps enks - though bridge crossings of the scenic St. John’s Suspension Bridge

at mile 17 are limited to bibbed runners, any orderly progression

is more-than-dissapated by the other side

so you could have just as much fun, maybe more,

with a mile 18 meet up to pace Holly

or others in for their last eight miles.
                  pps steve - you are a gem.
                  Maybe a follow-up call in a week or month
                  on how the materials are working out
                  might minimize belated returns.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

I am sitting at my desk, laughing, just thinking about you limping out of that store with a shopping bag tied around your foot!  That is hilarious!  Thank you--I really needed a good laugh, today.

....howdy//................still helping out in Knoxville

==============

teens with the windchill

62-min HHW

heading home tomorrow, got see see a dance practice, and last night the Brownies got to visit a firestation,,,,,,,,,,they loved it

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tsunami, it's great you got to run with your daughter.  The times I've run with my kids have been special.  jlynne, I had my wife read your post about your husband's carpal tunnel surgery.  Since I can't do any lifting, she did all the snow shoveling after our 12+ inches of snow the last couple of days.  It will be at least several weeks before I will be able to lift anything.  As soon as my eye gets healed, the other eye will get the same treatment.  She related to your situation  Nice long runs for Aamos and Mike.

This morning, I walked 3 miles on the TM at a 14:03 pace.  This afternoon, I did one more in 13:46.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

The Portland Marathon, more than any other I have signed up for, really puts a gun to your head.  Even Boston was less expensive.  Plus the sign up process pissed me off.  First they ask for the most I have ever paid for a marathon.  This, after telling me that the price will go up, but they won't say when and by how much.  THEN, after paying the exorbitant early-bird price, they have the audacity to ask me, like 7 times over, do I want to donate extra money toward this charity or that charity.  NO!!  I have already paid your ridiculous over-price!  Now you want MORE!  And MORE!  Seriously?  This process, in and of itself, would likely have made me say, "No thanks" and pick a different Oregon marathon to run.  HOWEVER, the Portland Marathon is not about the race for me, but for the gathering of friends who will be there.  SO, ENKE, maybe you can email the race director...explain you have many out-of-state friends that you have enticed to come and run their race, pumping money into the Portland economy, and lo-and-behold, when you yourself go to sign up, after all this magnificent marketing, they are locking you out?

Hi everyone,

I am glad that I signed up for the half marathon before it was closed.  Yeah, it's expensive but will be great to meet and greet those that can make it.  Hey MikeE, I will finally get to meet you in October!

I can't remember the last time I posted here, but holy cow are you guys getting banged up out there.  Take it easy and rest and heal up, ok?  I have this nagging foot that hurts and can't decide if I should go back to the podiatrist or not. The last time I was there he said it was sesamoiditis and gave me a very painful injection.  It did seem to help for a while though.  I still don't know if the cost was covered by insurance or not. Now there would be a new deductible too but that is inevitable for a new year.

I admit that I am a fair weather runner and don't head out when the winds are blowing all that snow around.  We have had two blizzards in the past week.  We even closed our office early one day, unheard of!  I still run at the Y and got in some outdoor runs, but not many. Yoga and spin class keeps me going and I like that. February 29th starts the 12 week training schedule for Green Bay.  I have done what Laurie does before and start early just in case......  Oh, great racing for you Jlynne and others.  I will be 60 the week before Green Bay so I play to get some speed by then.

DD lost her hearing about unemployment compensation. She is making a little progress on going through all her boxes of stuff, but it could be a while before she is ready and able to be on her own again.  I sure do miss my empty nest!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I am sitting at my desk, laughing, just thinking about you limping out of that store with a shopping bag tied around your foot!  That is hilarious!  Thank you--I really needed a good laugh, today.

Same - thanks Jlynne for sharing that with us!! I hope they find your other shoe!!

And I agree with the others - Jay, best citizen award and Steve, best employee award!!

Aamos - 10 miles in one day already after running a marathon Sunday?? You are a machine!!

Henrun - hope your knee keeps improving!!

Starr - sorry your daughter's case didn't go her way.

Still no running (or working) for me -- don't like seeing I am 27.8 miles behind the pace bunny .....whose idea was that anyway???

Starting to see some improvement in both the sciatica/piriformis pain and the vertigo. Have been seeing the chiro and went for a 2nd myofascial release treatment today. Also went to PT for vestibular therapy -- basically she helped me to the Epleys manuever correctly.  She said I still may need to do it a few more times either on my own or with her, but I already see some progress!! YAY

Pan on getting back to work Friday (my next scheduled shift) - think with symptoms improving I should be ok for a regular 12 hour shift.

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

DD lost her hearing about unemployment compensation. She is making a little progress on going through all her boxes of stuff, but it could be a while before she is ready and able to be on her own again.  I sure do miss my empty nest!

Really?  I'd LOVE to have my DD home for a while!  I miss her a lot! And the empty nest is, well, empty.  Particularly now, because my DH is away on a climbing trip, so it's just me and Tazzie and Ladybug.

I took the fuzzy buddies for a short run on my road - that's all they can do these days - and it was a slushy mess.  So I figured if I'm gonna have wet feet, I might as well try a trail run.  Conditions are pretty bad on all our local trails because all the snow is melting.  Anyway, I went over to Golden Gate Canyon State Park, and ran 5.6 slushy trail miles.  I use the term "ran" loosely...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sayhey! MM#130

Jlynne gets the People's Choice for funniest post today!

Agree Jay,NH voters turned out strong!  Really exciting!

Glad you have some relief Holly.

Say, speaking of running in less than ideal conditions, check out my latest post(below). Just @ 500 words, quick read.

Just 4 today.  Got a 5K Saturday and a marathon Sunday.

TRUCK DAY!!!!!!     Spring is coming, and David Price is in Ft. Myers!  La la la la

big ol' grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)