Masters Running

Sunday Flag Day Runs (Read 379 times)

Some nice runs described above....nice 5k, Bill. I did 10 and change this morning, reeeeeeal easy-like.

WORTHY OF NOTE: I found my Garmin heart rate monitor strap! (It's been missing for a month and a half) It was strapped around the handle of my SNOWBLOWER. Huh?  

I'm still scratching my head over that one.  Walt

evanflein

Well, at least you found it, right Walt? I find things in strange places sometimes and just have to say "hmmm, what was I thinking?" Or blame the kids...

Very nice 5k's for Byll and Perch. 

Carolyn, funny stuff... yes I recall sitting thru a Pokemon movie or two, and they were on a "rent the video" kick for awhile there. Last night we watched Gran Torino together, so it's nice when they grow up and like the same stuff. They still aren't into romantic comedies much... go figure.

The plan today was for 18, but I was torn with that because it's my last long run before Seattle RnR, and I haven't run 20 since the first weekend in April. But I'm also concerned about ramping up too fast after starting to run again after my 3 week layoff. 

So... I went from home and took the long way around campus, and was at 17.5 miles when I stopped at my parents and called for a ride (DS1 was still in bed!!). I made it another 1.1 miles before he picked me up, and I had him drop me off at the end of our road for the last 1.5 miles. Soooo... 20.1 miles, 8:37 avg pace. Mile splits were much more consistent than I usually run. Goal pace was 8:35 to 8:45, depending on terrain (avoided big hills, but it got hillier toward the end). I think I got it.
      1 8:48
      2 8:27
      3 8:32
      4 8:43
      5 8:44
      6 8:44
      7 8:34
      8 8:36
      9 8:36
      10 8:33
      11 8:40 (stopped at McDonalds for water/Gu)
      12 8:38
      13 8:33
      14 8:32
      15 8:39 (stopped at student commons and begged water)
      16 8:51
      17 8:48
      18 8:28 (stopped at my parents for water; called for ride)
      19 8:21
      20 8:29
      .1 8:24

My foot felt better than it's felt in many weeks, and my hip/butt was just "there," but not bad. Tickled with that pace especially when I was constantly working to slow down (really!). Weather was cool and cloudy when I started, but cleared up and got warm about an hour into the run.

Excellent run Erika.  Now chill and be ready for Seattle.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Got home after a weekend of family and wedding stuff.  My niece got married yesterday, and it was very bitter sweet.  I couldn't help but think of my mom the whole time and how she should've been there to share in the happiness.  She loved my niece and nephew with every fiber of her soul, and they adored her.  Although they were very young when she died (4 and 6, I think), they remember her, she was that important. This is Brandi and her new husband, Josh, right after the cake cutting:

I also had 20 miles to run on Saturday.  Instead of rehashing the entire debacle, you can read about it here if you're interested: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/b3136d0e3aa74391b25d5d5fc7ff0828

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Well, I was going to post after my run this morning, but the thread hadn't been started  yet, and I got lazy. 

5 miles for me - first run since last Sunday.  I tried to run Tuesday, but didn't even make it down the block before my knee was just too painful. So I hung out on the elliptical the rest of the week.  Today's run was fine, but I'll wait to see how it feels tomorrow and Tuesday before I start celebrating.  I am starting to get a wee bit worried that I'm getting behind schedule for our October marathon(s).

Nice 5ks Byll and Perch!

And Erika, my tuffness heroine.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - beautiful couple...

Dg – well done – both on the 9.5 miles and on knowing when to stop.

Perch – 2 in one day – nice job!

{{{Teresa’s DS}}}

Marj – congratulations on your PR and 2nd AG win!

Erika – great run!  I was sort of hoping I might at least keep you in sight at Seattle, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen..….

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Leslie, parts of that trail look gorgeous but parts are suited for mountain goats! Gotta find a cross between that trail and the road... Did you get your full 20 in after all?

Hope Harriet's knee cooperates this week!

Holly, one never can tell what will happen! I was feeling pretty fit and ready before Boston, and Boom!

Leslie, parts of that trail look gorgeous but parts are suited for mountain goats! Gotta find a cross between that trail and the road... Did you get your full 20 in after all?

Hope Harriet's knee cooperates this week!

Holly, one never can tell what will happen! I was feeling pretty fit and ready before Boston, and Boom!

Erika - No.  I managed 18.84 before I gave up.  It really was not my day running-wise.  But yes, it was absolutely beautiful up there, peaceful.  I will definitely go back for a day hike/run, just to enjoy.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi, all,

I'm home from the shore very late this evening, so I'll have to catch up properly tomorrow, but I'm so psyched that I ran 5 miles PAIN FREE today that I wanted to pop in to report this apparent miracle. 

I was diagnosed with minor achilles and peroneal tendonitis about 6 weeks ago and have been doing PT ever since.  Like my knee issues two years ago, the diagnosis was a blessing in disguise, as it seems to be related to the long-standing problem of numbness in my feet after I run more than 2-3 miles.  Super-tight calf muscles led to the tendon problems, which led to the almost constant pain in the bottoms of my feet, but the exercises I'm doing seem to be helping.

I've only run this far one time since the 10-mile race on May 2 and my training log entry from that day starts with "feet in agony the whole way," and today I had no pain!  Oh, and I was 4 minutes faster, too. 

To celebrate, I'm officially starting the Higdon novice marathon training plan week 1 tomorrow, with a rest day. 

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Bill - Congrats on the 5k!  Sounds like an awesome day!

Perch - wow, busy weekend, congrats!

CNYrunner - nice long run...I like the training for reinforcing a negative split.

Tramps - I'm looking forward to hearing how Mt Washington goes.  Friends have said it is an amazing experience.

Teresa - Sorry to hear about the baton incident...that was a tough one

evanflein - nice consistent pacing on you last long run!

Between recovering from Vermont and Boston and hectic travel, my schedule has been less than regular.  This past week I got into training again.  Unfortunately I leaned into it a bit much.  I felt tired in the intervals on Tuesday then hill repeats Thursday.  By Saturday morning I was wiped, but went for a club run not knowing it'd be with some fast guys.  We did a number of 6:30 miles then eased back a bit.  Today I ended up doing 10 on my own at about 7:20 pace.  Now I'm feeling silly for pushing the recovery too quickly as my body has lots of aches.  ok, enough whining :-P
                      -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                      also on Twitter