Masters Running

Guess What Day it is? Wednesday 11.6.19 (Read 39 times)

Tramps

The Waffle Houses I've been to have been last resort, late-night, bleary-eyed, off-the-turnpike stops. If I'm gonna have greasy spoon food, give me the local haunts.  But, then again, I don't care much for Wawa either, so I guess my tastes are suspect.

dnaff--thanks for that reference. I was unfamiliar with him.

I've been lurking briefly but it's been a busy week with little formal running/cycling... though plenty of activity to burn some calories. Trying to get some projects done before our first real cold snap hits later this week.  And then there was that little election, which you might have heard something about.    Results are a big deal locally, with my least favorite local politician going down in defeat (again). Yay, us. Wonderful to see the growing diversity of public officials...finally. The young people fired up to make a difference are what enable me to cling to some hope in these dark political times.

Okay, enough of that. Random recommendation: HBO's Chernobyl.  I know I'm late to this but we watched this 5-hour mini-series over the last week or so. Very well done, chilling, engaging dramatization of the incident and its aftermath. Well worth your time.

That's it.

Be safe. Be kind.

2 treadmill miles after leaving work early to get that done and then head for the Vanderbilt game.  If we are in the first 1000 attendees tonight we get a t-shirt to acknowledge the start of this new era with Coach Stackhouse- or as we refer to him on Vandy social media CJS.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, up very early since I was subbing for the sub for the 0515 spin class.  3.6 miles prior to teaching.  After work I did another 5 miles including running on the dirt road by the Alabama River on base.  Surprisingly good pace.  And my Garmin 245 had my VO2 max at 56 today.  Not sure how it's calculated but it's gone up since I bought and started using it.

Steve, I like the new addition.

Henrun, how do you feel about polenta?

Gotta write a profile, have a greta night everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I've been to a couple Waffle Houses during my travels...I don't really remember how good they were or how inexpensive/expensive they were.  I'm not really sure why I even commented on the subject...never mind.

I did 4 miles, tonight...very uneventful.

Okay...I guess that's all I got.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet. I. . . However, you didn't hang out with us at the Gateway to the Pacific

Rosie - uhmmmm, I’m sticking to my story, uhmmm, aren’t I, that we never saw each other when you were out here for the Gateway-to-the-Pacific Marathon that I’ve done several times (including hottest marathon PR of 106F) because I was up at the Lake Steven’s Half-Iron for the finale of five triathlons that summer of all standard distances and nowhere near the Gateway, . . . and, don’t worry, I still have no idea from whom I learned that “RS” didn't necessarily have anything to do with DH or the origin of the photo of you in what-might-have-been the first photo of anyone in one here in the PNW. Okay?
            Dr. Nerd! - sign me up!

I’m pretty sure I have never done anything to make anyone

think “nerd” about me (except maybe my kids)

but, all-of-a-sudden, two possible qualifiers today.
            1. Instead of the usual going somewhere constructive or for some reason other than just riding around for the sake or riding around, took the bike out for a 2.5 mile out-and-back for the sole purpose of a couple more miles and a now six day riding streak in the local bike club’s November Ride-in-the-Rain event and
            2. Just like running through the accumulating leaves on the Hillside trails this morning, for the sole purpose of hearing more crunching, I rode along the edge of the bike path this afternoon and through as many newly-piled up, bike-pedal high accumulations of leaves as possible just like skiing through new powder snow was in my skiing days. Unfortunately, too many leaves got jammed in two derailleur pulleys and jumped the chain off to get stuck between a little notch on the inside of the pedal stem and the big chainring. No matter how greasy I got my hands, I couldn’t pull it out and had to push back the last mile that, of course, I won't get to count, to get a screwdriver to pry it free as gently as possible to avoid breaking the chain for even more trouble.

ps - never been to a Waffle House but, if they had 'em out here in the PNW, I go right away if, based on what everyone's sayin', it qualifies for nerd-dom.

Image may contain: outdoor and natured

f

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

7.75 placeholder miles. Maybe in a week or two I'll get back to "training".

It's that magical time of year when both the Ducks football and basketball teams are playing; that also equals a lot of pizza and beer for me.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

pfriese

Evening all.

Just a quick post for me today. I had a nice easy paced 6 mile run to the park & back before the workers arrived this morning.

Paul

evanflein

Never been to a Waffle House. No plans on changing that any time soon.

We're getting snow. Quite a bit. DH shoveled snow while I ran on the treadmill tonight. Lots of snow for him, 5.3 miles for me. That was enough (for both of us), but it's still snowing.

SteveP

Steve, what method do you use to post photos here? The methods listed in the thread for that subject don't work for me. I can still do it by going thru my own web site, but I was hoping there's a less cumbersome way.

I post to FaceBook (occasionally I'll have the privacy settings set to "only me". Then copy the link from there and insert it here.)

Image may contain: Holly Slone Schultz, smiling

Swoon.

Your Dr's. news is fantastic. I agree with a 2nd opinion though.

Quickadder 

My mom used to tell us that everything we learned new created a new wrinkle in our brains.  I think mine is now folded like origami!!!

There's a time or two when I feel as though mine has been ironed out a time or two.

Tet, I love your bike ride.

I got three on the mill in the AM. We drop grandkids off to school a few days a week. I really like how the 5 year olds want to keep exploring the trail that DW and I have made. DG#1 found a pine burl from branches I had cut down in August. The two kids had determined it was a monster egg.

They hung it in a tree so it can hatch. You know that Grampy isn't going to leave it alone.

A supplier delivered 25% of an order, but indicated that they shipped the whole thing. Their warehouse is 30ish miles away and the driver said he'd go get it. Kudos really. In our industry, that kind of stepping up is unheard of. Most drivers will not do that even if the order is on the other side of the street. I told the guy that I'd call the sales person first and see if it could wait until Friday. He took off anyway. After the truck was unloaded the 2nd time, I pull our paperwork. There wasn't any. I check into our computer system and the ship to address is for 75 miles away. I look at the driver's paperwork in hand and the ship to address is ours. I called the vendor and yep they made an error. Then the lady I had on the phone chastised me because the salesperson, (whom I may never meet) should have caught that on the order acknowledgment. Both properties had been doing business with the vendor for over 20 years. Negotiations broke down after that. Suck it up and own it.

SteveP